Mirroring people, be carefull

Search This thread

gloom

May 8, 2006
Brussels
Hi guys,

Just wanted to warn those of you who are mirroring custom roms that microsoft is watching what's happening.

Until know was mirroring the diff versions of ROMeOS from monx but just got an email from my hosting provider asking me to stop serving those files.

They included the original message :
Sujet : [contenu illicite] Nouveau contenu illicite
Date : Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:37:00 +0100 (CET)
De : Support OVH <[email protected]>
Pour : [email protected]

-url : monx.netxchanges.net/ROMeOS2/
-email : [email protected]

-Remarques :

Demand for Immediate Take-Down: Notice of Infringing Activity

URL: http://monx.netxchanges.net/

Case #: 206023

Date: 12 March 2009

Dear Sir or Madam,

Microsoft has received information that the domain listed above, which appears to be on servers under your control, is offering unlicensed copies of, or is engaged in other unauthorized activities relating to copyrighted works published by Microsoft.

1. Identification of copyrighted works:

Copyrighted work(s):

Windows Mobile 6.1
Windows Mobile 6.5

Copyright owner:
Microsoft Corporation

2. Copyright infringing material or activity found at the following location(s):
http://monx.netxchanges.net/ROMeOS2/6.5/ROMeOS2_V1_00_1_WM6_5_21169.rar
http://monx.netxchanges.net/ROMeOS2/ENG/ROMeOS2_ENG_21018_1902_050309.rar
http://monx.netxchanges.net/ROMeOS2/ENG/ROMeOS2_v1901_21018_010309.rar

The above copyright work(s) is being made available for copying, through downloading, at the above location without authorization of the copyright owner.

3. Statement of authority:

The information in this notice is accurate, and I hereby certify under penalty of perjury that I am authorized to act on behalf of Microsoft, the owner of the copyright(s) in the work(s) identified above. I have a good faith belief that none of the materials or activities listed above have been authorized by Microsoft, its agents, or the law.

We hereby give notice of these activities to you and request that you take expeditious action to remove or disable access to the material described above, and thereby prevent the illegal reproduction and distribution of this copyright work(s) via your company's network.

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Please advise us regarding what actions you take.

Yours sincerely,

James Young
Internet Investigator
on behalf of Microsoft Corporation

One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
United States of America
E-mail: [email protected]

mindfrost82

Retired Senior Moderator
Since I'm an admin at PPCGeeks, we too have been getting take down notices from Microsoft, but so far its been about threads/posts in the forums and some attachments (XIPs, etc).

We just deleted the threads/posts/attachments. If there were rapidshare links in there, then I'm sure those links are still valid (if you know them), its up to Microsoft to contact Rapidshare to take those down.

rlblue

Oct 21, 2008
Indiana
ohh... crap!
That's unfortunate. Makes me want to burn every Microsoft product I've ever unwittingly purchased.

JimmyMcGee

Moderator Emeritus
ohh... crap!
That's unfortunate. Makes me want to burn every Microsoft product I've ever unwittingly purchased.

Oh wow A Large company with big scary lawyers is trying to protect their product. This has never happened before in the history of the Internet. :eek:

Oh Wait...:rolleyes:

Just chill out, if you have been on the internet enough you know that these things ebb and flow. :)

noellenchris

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
people could just pm a cook etc. for d/l links...verify by how long a user has been here on XDA... sry noobs... otherwise, just wait it out...

GenghisZ

Sep 2, 2008
This is making me sweat a little as the "primary" mirroring man for some of Monx's roms.

I also recieved a mail from 'the Internet Investigator' LOL.
I requested an explanation in my mother-tongue, and an official written complaint through local authorities. Let's see how that goes.

If he can't provide, the file stays and he can s*ck my European (thank God for the European Law) b*lls :D

fishzine

Sep 26, 2006
I HIGHLY suspect that the 6.5 stuff is what has gotten microsoft's attention and the rest is a 'while we are at it' bonus. Can't fault Microsoft for wanting to protect an upcoming release especially since the 6.5 stuff right now isn't really read for prime time and microsoft could make a pretty valid arguement that it is damage to the reputation of WM 6.5, and potentially causing a loss in future sales for 6.5. (Can't believe I just defended the big bad MS)

Antzor

Oct 19, 2008
London
am I the only one who sort of sees this as Microsoft sort of shooting itself in the foot by doing this?

ndn715

Nov 7, 2006
Seattle
I HIGHLY suspect that the 6.5 stuff is what has gotten microsoft's attention and the rest is a 'while we are at it' bonus. Can't fault Microsoft for wanting to protect an upcoming release especially since the 6.5 stuff right now isn't really read for prime time and microsoft could make a pretty valid arguement that it is damage to the reputation of WM 6.5, and potentially causing a loss in future sales for 6.5. (Can't believe I just defended the big bad MS)

of course i understand MS' perspective on this, protecting new versions, etc... but the issue with 6.5 is that there is nothing that prevents it from running on existing devices, however they have stated that it will not be released for anything out right now. WTF? too bad another mirror went down, good luck getting them all :)

btw, james young doesnt have a MS account at all, just looked it up :) (usually they do)

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
of course i understand MS' perspective on this, protecting new versions, etc... but the issue with 6.5 is that there is nothing that prevents it from running on existing devices, however they have stated that it will not be released for anything out right now. WTF? too bad another mirror went down, good luck getting them all :)

btw, james young doesnt have a MS account at all, just looked it up :) (usually they do)

Did Microsoft say that...or did the Operators say that? I've heard Operators say they won't be upgrading. Microsoft argument for countering the iPhone is along the lines of they don't won the hardware and can't control implementation.....

Let's calm down. We are community od XDA-DEVELOPERS - this board is like a legend. All the custom roms cannot be removed, 90% of users are here just becouse of new ROM's! I can understand MS but let's face the true, most of bugs findings, walkarounds and fixes for all MS products are developed by "illegal" product owners.

I know dozens of places where people makes mods, hacks, etc for every MS software but they have never been forced to remove it from their servers becouse of MS demands. Even Microsoft knows that, the best experts are madcaps from places like this, and they are MUCH more usefull then 1,000,000 "legal" idiots or noobs on MS discussion groups/boards.

I like M$, but sometimes they should seek for problems in the RIGHT places.

Cheers.

drunkbastard

May 13, 2008
Rather than shutting down mirrors, MS should be enlisting the help of chefs, et. al. in releasing a version of 6.5 that the masses will actually appreciate. The problem is that MS takes way too much time to release a product that is usually obsolete by the time they get around to putting it out, and buggy. I can't begin to fathom counting the number of times I have expressed my loathing for MS programmers, be it with PC or PPC software / OS / etc.

They should be thanking XDA for trying to make their OSs perform better and enlisting the help of the very people that their "Internet Investigators" are trying to thwart. But maybe that's just my opinion.

ndn715

Nov 7, 2006
Seattle
Did Microsoft say that...or did the Operators say that? I've heard Operators say they won't be upgrading. Microsoft argument for countering the iPhone is along the lines of they don't won the hardware and can't control implementation.....

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/16/microsoft-announces-windows-mobile-6-5/

"Sadly, Microsoft's saying that no devices in the market today will receive official 6.5 updates, but don't pull out your wallets just yet, though -- the first devices with Windows Mobile 6.5 preinstalled should be available in the fourth quarter of the year."

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im Pretty Sure its fake

all the emails sent form big corpotaions for coppyright infringement are copyrighted and technically you would be breaking the law postin that email here but that one u posted isnt copyrighted ive read emails from microsoft to the pirate bay and they are all copyrighted not that the pirate bay cares they post them up anyways.