• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Missing Apps on Xperia 1 III

Search This thread

AmataLudu

Sep 22, 2021
Hi there! I noticed that Sony Xperia 1 III lacks some very common apps that I would like to have, such as:

1. Photo Editor (Google sucks!)
2. File Explorer or File Manager (Google sucks!)
2. Voice recorder
3. Memo or Notepad

Maybe a Photo Gallery different from the one that came with and was taken over by...Google!

My latest phone was a Samsung and I was very happy with their stock apps. Also, I had the Sony Xperia 1 and it had great stock apps, as well.

If you could please dump the .apk of previous Sony versions of those apps above that would work with 1 III or if you could recommend me the best from Google Play, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks!!!

Reactions: decomposed

Victor_octo

Jul 13, 2011
Campulung
Sony Xperia 1 III
And can't edit videos. I installed the latest version of sony album, sony photo editor and video editor, and I can only edit Photos, there's no option for videos to edit like it was on my XZ3 in Album app.

Now I bought Simple Gallery Pro: Videos & Photos Manager & Editor. It's all I needed.

Hope it helps ya!

Reactions: AmataLudu

psawjack

Apr 30, 2011
DC
OnePlus 9 Pro
Sony Xperia 1 III
And can't edit videos. I installed the latest version of sony album, sony photo editor and video editor, and I can only edit Photos, there's no option for videos to edit like it was on my XZ3 in Album app.

Now I bought Simple Gallery Pro: Videos & Photos Manager & Editor. It's all I needed.

Hope it helps ya!
What do you mean by editing? Like cropping and filtering?

decomposed

Feb 21, 2011
Wrocław, Poland
Sony Xperia 1 III
To be honest lack of many sony apps and leaving us with google garbage or trash from playstore is making me want to move to iPhone. Not because of built quality nor because of camera.

But because Apple provides many dedicated apps of high quality and ecosystem + it supports its devices for years.

Sony is on opposite route and is obsessed with feature / functions / apps removal.
I bet they hired someone sitting and scanning xperia code wondering what else he can cut off / remove :(

Mark 3 build quality is good.
But software wise it sucks so much.
Now you cannot even select which pane is the main screen but it always has to be the one on the left. Why so stupid limitation??? Shouldn't android be the system of freedom, options and customization as per user preference?

simonvfr

Jun 9, 2014
Now you cannot even select which pane is the main screen but it always has to be the one on the left. Why so stupid limitation??? Shouldn't android be the system of freedom, options and customization as per user preference?
For me, one of the attractions of Android is freedom to use any launcher. If you don't like the restrictions of the Sony launcher, then why not use another? I've been using the same Microsoft Launcher as I've used on last two phones and I'm very happy. Or I could use Nova, as I used to on earliuer phones.

decomposed

Feb 21, 2011
Wrocław, Poland
Sony Xperia 1 III
Perhaps because launcher that runs all the time consumes also some battery?

And mark 3 has very weak battery life (no matter what mAh capacity says).

That's the main reason.

Do you know the reason why sony cut off those functionalities like possibility to select main screen? In past it was there...

simonvfr

Jun 9, 2014
Perhaps because launcher that runs all the time consumes also some battery?

And mark 3 has very weak battery life (no matter what mAh capacity says).

That's the main reason.

Do you know the reason why sony cut off those functionalities like possibility to select main screen? In past it was there...
All launchers will use some battery. If you remain with Sony launcher that will also. Looking in battery usage stats on my mark 3, the Microsoft launcher is using no more than any other mainstream launcher. It's not running "all the time" - compared to, say, Google Play Services it's running a tiny amount of time.

I agree battery life on Mark 3 is disappointing - but different launcher is not an issue. Suggest you try one or two - there are some excellent ones out there and setting new default is simple, and reversible.

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Im sticking with stock launcher for a different reason, that gesture navigation is broken on 3rd party launchers. If the api is only coming in Android 12, then I guess its until Android 12 comes out...whenever that is.

decomposed

Feb 21, 2011
Wrocław, Poland
Sony Xperia 1 III
The whole topic is about sony removing features and functions.

Like OBSESSED!

If this possibility to select hope screen was there why to remove it? It does not require further development...

And all great apps they had replacing with google stock crap... When I saw google crap gallery and saw no Sony album first thing I thought was to give the device back. Thankfully I found it can be downloaded from Internet and installed. Works fine.

And yes you will not find it on Google p(l)ay store... + ...

Software wise xperia devices became pathetic with this approach. + Of course no communication and no changelogs.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Many OEM's are slowly but surely removing their proprietary apps. Good...bad??? Debatable.
The reason is that there are...in most cases...dozens of apps that will do the same thing or better on the Play Store or APK mirror, as well as a number of other sites for use. So if you're missing something, chances are that you will be able to find it, or its equivalent, and be able to accomplish whatever you need.

AmataLudu

Sep 22, 2021
Does anyone have any idea if the left side of the screen (when sliding from left to right) can be configured with any other application rather than...Google App (of course) ? I would like to have News Suite set up for that screen.

murrayalex

To be honest lack of many sony apps and leaving us with google garbage or trash from playstore is making me want to move to iPhone. Not because of built quality nor because of camera.

But because Apple provides many dedicated apps of high quality and ecosystem + it supports its devices for years.

Sony is on opposite route and is obsessed with feature / functions / apps removal.
I bet they hired someone sitting and scanning xperia code wondering what else he can cut off / remove :(

Mate, the camera on my iPhone 13 Pro is miles better than on my Xperia 1 III, consistently better point & shoot pictures, both during the day and at night :oops::cool::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: decomposed

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there! I noticed that Sony Xperia 1 III lacks some very common apps that I would like to have, such as:

1. Photo Editor (Google sucks!)
    2. File Explorer or File Manager (Google sucks!)
    2. Voice recorder
    3. Memo or Notepad

Maybe a Photo Gallery different from the one that came with and was taken over by...Google!

My latest phone was a Samsung and I was very happy with their stock apps. Also, I had the Sony Xperia 1 and it had great stock apps, as well.

If you could please dump the .apk of previous Sony versions of those apps above that would work with 1 III or if you could recommend me the best from Google Play, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks!!!

Hope it helps ya!

Mate, the camera on my iPhone 13 Pro is miles better than on my Xperia 1 III, consistently better point & shoot pictures, both during the day and at night :oops::cool::ROFLMAO: