MIUI 12 Fingerprint Unlock defective

Search This thread

laanrobe

Jul 12, 2008
Tampa
After upgrading to MIUI 12 Global OTA yesterday, fingerprint unlock stopped working. When I select fingerprint unlock in settings to switch it on and enter my PIN, phone goes dark and restarts (MIUI splash screen). Any suggestions? Phone is stock and not rooted.
Additional info: from CIT menu I ran the fingerprint sensor test. Result shows: all success. Next test (Fod fingerprint input test) gives following message: Your phone has password can not enroll fingerprint information
Not sure I understand the result of this test. Phone of course has a password (required to set fingerprint unlock).

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Yogariku

Jun 24, 2020
You've got the same problem as me after update to miui12. Have you ever replaced the lcd on your phone? Because I did it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ash Luhera

mannu_in

Mar 13, 2012
Gurgaon
After upgrading to MIUI 12 Global OTA yesterday, fingerprint unlock stopped working. When I select fingerprint unlock in settings to switch it on and enter my PIN, phone goes dark and restarts (MIUI splash screen). Any suggestions? Phone is stock and not rooted.
Additional info: from CIT menu I ran the fingerprint sensor test. Result shows: all success. Next test (Fod fingerprint input test) gives following message: Your phone has password can not enroll fingerprint information
Not sure I understand the result of this test. Phone of course has a password (required to set fingerprint unlock).

Happened with me also....Its a software problem only. Format and reinstall the ROM...My issue got resolved after complete fresh install

Yogariku

Jun 24, 2020
Happened with me also....Its a software problem only. Format and reinstall the ROM...My issue got resolved after complete fresh install

how do you reinstall the rom? Do you use updater on xiaomi or twrp something? because I did reinstall via mipcsuit china version but still get this problem.

Last edited:

mannu_in

Mar 13, 2012
Gurgaon
how do you reinstall the rom? Do you use updater on xiaomi or twrp something? because I did reinstall via mipcsuit china version but still get this problem.
Using TWRP, did a clean wipe(Format Data/Internal Storage and all). Then install from beginning. I got this issue using Xiaomi EU MIUI 12 Beta ROM. Issue only got resolved when I clean install new ROM

Yogariku

Jun 24, 2020
Using TWRP, did a clean wipe(Format Data/Internal Storage and all). Then install from beginning. I got this issue using Xiaomi EU MIUI 12 Beta ROM. Issue only got resolved when I clean install new ROM

So now you are using miui 12 EU not global rom? I use the global rom, did format and clean install too but still get this problem

laanrobe

Jul 12, 2008
Tampa
You've got the same problem as me after update to miui12. Have you ever replaced the lcd on your phone? Because I did it.
Yes, I have a replacement screen too... Seems that is related to fingerprint unlock issues.
However, fingerprint unlock was working for me on MIUI 11, even with the new screen.

Last edited:

laanrobe

Jul 12, 2008
Tampa
I installed MIUI 12 through OTA global version. I am not rooted and therefore not easy to reinstall. I might try factory reset, although that also involves some extra work...

Yogariku

Jun 24, 2020
Yes, I have a replacement screen too... Seems that is related to fingerprint unlock issues.
However, fingerprint unlock was working for me on MIUI 11, even with the new screen.

I suspect it's because replaced LCD, right now I'm using non original LCD. Is your replacement screen original or not?

gukovsem

Apr 28, 2008
Lviv
Hi, I have the same issue. Screen also was replaced, service installed non original part. I had MIUI 11.0.3 before update with no issues, now MIUI 12.0.1 fingerprint not working.

Yogariku

Jun 24, 2020
Same I did replace my display yesterday from service center and this happened :( I'm so fed up no wants to know what's problem even my AOD not working properly ;_;

Too bad, but my AoD is working and no issue.

See, the cause of fingerprint bug on miui 12 I guess is replaced Lcd. Let's see if anyone fixes this bug

dagda87

Dec 17, 2010
I have the same problem, also changed the screen. I hope some one find a solution for this.. Now i went back to miui11

Cowboy_Henk

May 9, 2011
I have the same problem. I updated from a fresh MIUI 11.06 (i wanted to remove orangefox cfw to do OTA update) to MIUI 12 via ota update. I didn't register fingerprint in fresh 11.06
OTA went perfectly but when I tried to register fingerprint it crashed and rebooted.
My screen was also replaced a couple of months ago, if the service center uses an original screen? I don't know. I should ask. They provide 2 year warranty on installed screen so maybe they should replace it with REAL one!!

Yogariku

Jun 24, 2020
I have the same problem. I updated from a fresh MIUI 11.06 (i wanted to remove orangefox cfw to do OTA update) to MIUI 12 via ota update. I didn't register fingerprint in fresh 11.06
OTA went perfectly but when I tried to register fingerprint it crashed and rebooted.
My screen was also replaced a couple of months ago, if the service center uses an original screen? I don't know. I should ask. They provide 2 year warranty on installed screen so maybe they should replace it with REAL one!!

Yah, could be your phone screen not original. Did your phone screen support 5 or 10 multitouch?
and if you already replace your screen on service center and try the fingerprint please update to this thread, I want to know the reason of this bug.

Cowboy_Henk

May 9, 2011
Yah, could be your phone screen not original. Did your phone screen support 5 or 10 multitouch?
and if you already replace your screen on service center and try the fingerprint please update to this thread, I want to know the reason of this bug.

I asked the repair centre if they installed an original oem screen or not. Still waiting for reply.
10 point touch does work though.

d4avi

Jul 1, 2020
Same problem

I'm having the same issue with my Redmi K20 Pro. My display was also replaced to a not original one and fingerprint was working fine at MIUI 11.
After updating via OTA to MIUI 12, it crashed every time I tried to unlock, restarting the device with an infite loop. After that, I made a factory reset, then configuration reset and reinstalled the OTA package but it still won't work.
Hope we can find a solution to this problem!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I solved it. Here's my case. (MI 9T PRO FOD failed).
    -Received MI9TPRO from customer 2 weeks ago (blank lcd/nodisplay cause by water leak)

Replaced with OLED with biometric support. Bcoz i'm not the owner of coz my fprint failed to unlock. Few days later customer complaint his on-screen FOD not working. (FYI: this my 1st lcdreplacement for on-screen biometric. i just know these FOD issue when customer return-back his phone ask me to fix the fod problem or return back his money.

#Issue: What, Why & How.
    FYI: I bought in online [OLED+bio support] The quality is good its OEM.

#CSI
    -read about MIUI v11, v12 related issue fod
    -i noted the vendor update script/locksettingdb, persist.img..etc from few forum
    -the water leak issue also made me think cause the fod failed
    -some say fod will only work if lcdscreen support 10finger touch a.k.a original/high price.

#GO DEEP
    -current MIUI 12.0.3
    -i deleted owner fod and adding my fprint. I successfull scan, read & add+save my fprint. But still it failed to unlock & not recognise my finger.
    -i dloaded app & test touch point. Its only support 5 finger touch not 10.
    -update to MIUI 12.0.6 - can read & save but still fod failed

#Longstoryshort
    -I finally solved the problem. Its software issue. I cannot elaborate details here (limited time) however i will post a.s.a.p. I made short videos & can proove it. Email me or IG: mystremiumz if urgent
    Okay, an update.
    For me there was not any restart, i was able to register my finger, but then sensor can't recognize, and calibrate, always failed. Came back to miui 11, same. I removed the display again, and cleaned the inside of the screen and the sensor lens too.
    Then I was able to calibrate, and use, updated from updater to miui 12.0.5 and WORKED.
    With 5 point multitouch screen. Checked with more programs, for screen writes always super Amoled, or Samung super Amoled. :) Nothing changed in vendor, or anything, just flashed miui 11.0.4 with Miflash, then updated to MIUI 12. Now I will try the xiaomi.eu mdded roms.
    I got mine today (second one) and I can confirm that it's good unit. Just like original, I can't even see the difference... Fingerprint works fine on miui 12, really fast, no problem at all...

I recommend pay for a professional to change it or do it with maximum caution possible. The screen is really fragile...

I believe change only screen is easier than change all components inside to the new frame...

I put my three screens side by side for comparation and I noticed that the one which fingerprint unlock does not work looks thicker and fingerprint hole on amoled is clearly more opaque than the original unit and the one that I bought on this aliexpress link.

I also received the screen + frame yesterday from that seller and WOW it's indeed a very good screen! I'm very satisfied
    the product and the seller. First the communication with the seller is top notch, he sends pictures and even a video how to test the screen before installing. He even personally tested the screen before sending it to me, it was a personal video because the package label was visible and he wrote personal codes on the screen.
    I ordered on 28th of december and I received it on 14th of January so that's fine. The screen (I ordered with frame) is TOP NOTCH!!
    It's an amoled 10 point screen and it's even better than what my repair shop used in a previous repair. Now my FINGERPRINT SENSOR IS WORKING AGAIN (bug in MIUI 12 that doesn't accept bad quality screens) It has all the original internals, it has stickers so you can fix the internals securely. Everything works as it should!!
    I RECOMMEND THIS SELLER AND HIS PRODUCT

I had some difficulty installing it because I had to move all the internals from the previous frame to the new frame. Five times I had to close and reopen the phone (Luckily I didn't put glue on the back glass - I'm even thinking of not glueing it for a couple of weeks to be sure) because the front camera didn't open - the fingerprint sensor didn't read - the back cameras didn't work - ...
    The reason of the problems was dust or condensation. You have to make sure everything is clean and dry. I cleaned the contacts (of cameras, sensors,...) before closing them.
    TIP: Use WD40 electrical contact cleaner and compressed air afterwards to dry it quickly.

Ok next problem: I use Xiaomi.eu ROM 21.1.6/7 and fingerprint sensor works but after 5 ticks when registering a fingerprint it closed. After calibrating the sensor in CIT menu (TIP: use thick white page for "flesh flat" and something MATTE BLACK (not shiny!!!!) for the "black flat") - calibrating was succesful - but again registering didn't work.

I then saw there was an update for Xiaomi.EU ( 21.1.13/14 ) and now the fingerprint registering works PERFECTLY!!!

I used this excellent tutorial (in French but filmed in a good way)

I'm so glad, I now have a brand new phone :)

Some pictures:
    DSCF6341.JPGDSCF6342.JPGDSCF6343.JPGDSCF6347.JPG