• MIUI

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • CM7

Votes: 35 63.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

jorgonv

Sep 10, 2010
I am going to try to get this rom into a update.zip form... it will be easier to work with and flash roms tis way.

If anyone has it and wants to post a system dump?

Sent from my MB520 using XDA App

It was originally in a flashable .zip format from the defy forums but people were having problems and soft bricking, so made it a nandroid installation (it worked for cm but I'm not sure about miui nandroid)

rdannar

Sep 3, 2009
Jorgon? So the defy update zips work without changing anything?

Last edited:

rdannar

Sep 3, 2009
Im going to. . .

Want to try an sbf flash first just in case.

Does anyone have system dump of froyo stock?

rdannar

Sep 3, 2009
Here was my reply to pm...

First step is edit media profiles in etc folder to match camera

Second step contact a developer on how to enable camera debugging in rom as I don't know how

Next step make sure all related libs and camera apk have correct resolution.. defy libs will probably work best.

I am a rookie developer also that just happens to know a lot about files... I had lots of help from others with the actual writing of files

I have not had much experience with development to be honest with you.... I've unpacked imgs and edited framework-apks that's about it... Changed contents of update.zip...

Anyway, long story short... I'm trying to make the camera work. I understand this is above my head... that's why I call it a learning experience... I would like to try to work with you, I believe I can help you... However minor ... you will be a much larger help to me than I would to you, I forsee... Nevertheless I'm trying to learn and I wanted to contact you as you seem to be moving rather quickly and I wouldn't like to be left behind too far :(

I've pulled the system lib folder from the HTC Tatoo CM7 port w/ working camera. I tried this because it was 3mp aswell... It's libcameraservice and libcameraclient & 1 other file got me farther than any default stuff did... I dumped system.img from the stock SBF aswell but that caused bootloops even with the correct permissions.... I'm realizing that as I expected it is a problem w/ the driver perhaps? On loading the camera.apk your given a warning through DDMS that the camera failed to initialize which to me means that it doesn't even know it's there...

Now i'm divulging in editing the kernel to hopefully resolve camera issues....

Anyway my main reason for contacting you is that; you're not the only one trying things here bro, I appreciate that you are but don't think it's THAT grim because no ones replying to you hahaha... I just really don't know a THING and am stumbling through it all :( I will probably just make some roms soon but i'm fixated on the camera right now...

Anyway... I don't know what the point of my message was anymore, other than nice to meet you please feel free to approach me about anything... and also, would you have any advice for my goose chase?

That is what I believe the order of importance is.. I could be wrong!

rdannar

Sep 3, 2009
Do you have to have bandroids recovery installed? Im just nor used to seeing a recovery you have to buy?

2nd init hasnt been working except to do minor zips and restores. Get md5 mismatch when try cm7 nandroid restore and critical errors with update zips???

jorgonv

Sep 10, 2010
Do you have to have bandroids recovery installed? Im just nor used to seeing a recovery you have to buy?

2nd init hasnt been working except to do minor zips and restores. Get md5 mismatch when try cm7 nandroid restore and critical errors with update zips???

Which 2nd init installer app did you download? Did you install it correctly? Try to redownload the nandroid, it might've become corrupted.

Try installing the recovery for the defy (I haven't ever tried this but since the phones are so alike, out might work. Let me know what happens).
I think bandroidx was supposed to release a free version, but never got around to releasing it

rdannar

Sep 3, 2009
Used the one in your post

Edit.... got it working but working on something before I venture into cm7

Thanks jorgon

Last edited:

dontbejeff

Mar 19, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Don't forget to change the build.prop file to reflect we are using the Bravo, not Defy. I have been doing this (although forgot to). Basically change MB525 to MB520 and Jordan to Kobe. That way everyone knows what we are using! (And I don't have to change it to 520 in the signature :p)

Btw since I mentioned the script, anyone else know of other changes to it we need to make?

Sent from my MB520! using XDA App

rdannar

Sep 3, 2009
I made a camera thread for everyone to post in..

Cheers

Don't forget to change the build.prop file to reflect we are using the Bravo, not Defy. I have been doing this (although forgot to). Basically change MB525 to MB520 and Jordan to Kobe. That way everyone knows what we are using! (And I don't have to change it to 520 in the signature :p)

Btw since I mentioned the script, anyone else know of other changes to it we need to make?

Sent from my MB520! using XDA App

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MIUI and CyanogenMod7 on the Motorola Bravo!!!

Anything you do to YOUR phone is YOUR fault, not mine.

MIUI and CM7 are already pre-rooted and pre-overclocked (to 1ghz) though you can still use BandroidX's overclock app

Directions to install MIUI:

You need to be on the stock rom before you install anything. Use this SBF, then root it with superoneclick

A nandroid installation is the only way for you to install
    This installation might lead you to a bootloop, I'm working on a fix (you can still flash an sbf though)

1. Sbf to 2.2.1
    2. Root and enable non-market apps with superoneclick
    3. Download and install bandroidx's custom recovery app
    4. Bootstrap recovery
    5. Boot into the recovery and wipe data/cache and dalvik cache (advanced>wipe dalvik cache)
    6. Select restore backup
    7. Select MIUI_1.7.22_nandroid
    8. Confirm
    9. Reboot and enjoy!!

FYI, no need to do the signal fix because it is already implemented​

Note: When/if you boot into bootmenu after installing MIUI and select recovery> custom recovery, it will bring you to 2 choices: latest recovery and stable recovery. These recoveries are Motorola Defy recoveries but they still work on the Bravo. You can make backups and you can restore and install .zips. Some things might be broken since it is a Defy recovery. There is no way to boot into BandroidX’s recovery.​

BUT, BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, these are the problems (which are very minimal considering this wasn't even developed for the Bravo):

1. No working camera/camcorder
    2. Signal is very poor when you manage to get one. It doesn't have a signal for 99% of the time, but when it gets a signal, it's only 1 bar.<--- FIXED go to post #2
    3. That's all I could gather, if there is anything else, don't hesitate in commenting!

Links/downloads:

Thanks to:
    • All the credit for the actual ROMs goes to the Defy developers (don't know specifics) who made the 2ndInit, MIUI and CM7 Roms.
    • abhi897 for answering some of my questions

Note: I will NOT be releasing any actual roms (yet). All I will be releasing are fixes for the Defy ROM running on the Bravo (camera fix, signal fix, and any other problems)

Check out the proof:
    20110402070729889.jpg
    2011040207053640.jpg

CyanogenMod7 on the Motorola Bravo

Again, all credit goes to the Defy developers (except for the fixes posted here)

To install, you have to restore a CM7 nandroid backup. Otherwise you will have problems.

This is assuming you are on stock Bravo 2.2. If not, use THIS sbf, then root it with superoneclick

The nandroid installation method does NOT have GAPPs installed already, but the signal fix was implemented​

1. Extract THIS nandroid to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/
    2. Make sure you have BandroidX's recovery bootstrapper installed and working
    3. Make a Titanium backup (you need this to restore your apps)
    4. Reboot into BandroidX's Recovery
    5. Make a backup (for yourself)
    6. Wipe data/factory reset/dalvik cache
    7. Restore the CM7 nandroid backup you downloaded
    8. Wipe cache in stock recovery
    9. Reboot and enjoy!

Attention: reboot before you install GAPPs

Note: When/if you boot into bootmenu after installing CM7 and select recovery> custom recovery, it will bring you to 2 choices: latest recovery and stable recovery. These recoveries are Motorola Defy recoveries but they still work on the Bravo. You can make backups and you can restore and install .zips. Some things might be broken since it is a Defy recovery. There is no way to boot into BandroidX’s recovery.​

(to bypass activation screen, just touch 4 corners of the popup)​

Problems:
    1. No working camera (even 3rd party apps)
    2. Capacitive touch buttons are mapped wrong (aka the buttons are "shifted to the left") This is how it acts:<-- Fixed in nandroid update
    buttonsrl.png

3. Signal is also bad <-- Fixed in post #2

Thanks to:

The same people above​

Proof:​
    20110402095937200.jpg
    20110402095948901.jpg
    Fixes for MIUI and CM7 Running on Bravo

Signal Issue Fix:
    Works on MIUI and CM7​
    1. Download the .zip file below and put it on your phone
    2. Extract
    3. In root explorer, delete all the files in /etc/motorola/bp_nvm_default/
    4. Copy the extracted files into /etc/motorola/bp_nvm_default/
    5. Set permissions on ALL the files to "rw-r--r--" or you will bootloop! In the end, the permissions should look like this:
    permissionssmall.png

6. Reboot and enjoy a signal:D

I will try to create an flashable .zip to remove the hassle of changing all the permissions​
    Hopefully bandroidx will come to the rescue and get a working camera and good signal on this. The only thing I can think for the signal problems is that we need a compatible radio (the Defy CM7 is for tmobile). This is bad though because I haven't seen any SBF flashable radios for the Bravo yet...

Yeah, hopefully. But I am trying to fix the signal problem to make the phone actually usable. Wish me luck!

UPDATE: Fixed signal problem!!!!:D:D suggested by abhi897

Works on MIUI (tested), not tested on CM. I'm 99% sure it will work with CM though.

Put the zipped files in /etc/motorola/bp_nvm_default/

WITH PERMISSIONS on all of them set to: rw-r--r--

Set permissions or you WILL bootloop!

Will try to create update.zip tomorrow
    sorry guys, been really busy the past while with my job.

I did get some tweets/messages and am looking into the camera problem when i have time.

build.prop needs to be changed along with /system/etc/media_profile.xml

libcameraservice.so may need to be compiled from cm7 source for the bravo also, i am not sure yet.

follow me on twitter for the most updates @bandroidx
    Hello,

The HTC Tattoo also has a 3MP camera and also a 100% working CM7 port

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=939122