• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

MIUI Optimization: On or off?

Search This thread

mookiexl

Mar 17, 2011
what are the pros/cons?
Just turned it off yesterday. What I have noticed with it off is that some apps that had to reload in memory because of MIUI's aggressive ram management now remain open. Battery seems to have increased a great deal. I'll screen shot what I end up with if you want after I leave work. I know its early but I'm at:
4.69% active drain
.67 % Standby
2h21m screen on
10 hrs Standby
77% battery

szescxz

Sep 1, 2019
OFF is recommended if you are using China ROM.
MIUI optimization would block installation of "specific apps" due to you-know-what reasons.

Curunir

I'm using xiaomi.eu, and when I turned it off it seemed to me the battery life got worse.

The xaomi.eu devs are very vocal about not wanting users to turn it off, because "they don't understand what it does." They won't explain what it actually does though, which makes me suspect they don't know themselves ;).

Interestingly, I was able to install vanced youtube using magisk (riru+riru edxposed yahfa modules) and edxposed (core patch-disable apk signature verification), without turning MIUI optimizations off. Which some people reported wasn't possible.

At first I tried using the unmentionable yellow app, but that caused a bootloop.

dex2grigg

Mar 6, 2012
Salisbury
I'm using xiaomi.eu, and when I turned it off it seemed to me the battery life got worse.

The xaomi.eu devs are very vocal about not wanting users to turn it off, because "they don't understand what it does." They won't explain what it actually does though, which makes me suspect they don't know themselves ;).

Interestingly, I was able to install vanced youtube using magisk (riru+riru edxposed yahfa modules) and edxposed (core patch-disable apk signature verification), without turning MIUI optimizations off. Which some people reported wasn't possible.

At first I tried using the unmentionable yellow app, but that caused a bootloop.

Are you on the EU beta? I can't find the option to turn off

Curunir

Are you on the EU beta? I can't find the option to turn off

I'm on stable 12.0.8. actually.

It's true that the option to disable them is no longer visible in developer options. But you can do it by entering "setprop persist.sys.miui_optimization false" in shell, either on the phone directly or through adb shell. I do think you need root.

That disables it and shows the option in developer options again, in disabled state. But if you enable them again through developer options, the setting becomes hidden again and you need to perform the shell command again.

Eidenz

May 10, 2020
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
POCO M3
I keep it on for one simple reason:

In the latest MIUI12, if you turn off optimization you lose the new floating window feature, it just won't work at all. There might be other cool features that won't work but that's the only one I really use.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Most people won't be able to install apps such as Vanced with optimization on though, but it's only the installation process. So if you want to install such app but also have the floating window feature, well just turn it off, install your app and turn it back on.

oroboros74

Jan 3, 2013

In the latest MIUI12, if you turn off optimization you lose the new floating window feature, it just won't work at all. There might be other cool features that won't work but that's the only one I really use.
Is that right? Oh, that's a super cool and useful feature to lose!

valkyrjur

Jan 10, 2011
London

The vanced install problem is not with the magisk version but with the apk version an it's installer (and btw most updated because magisk module is very outdated)

Curunir

The vanced install problem is not with the magisk version but with the apk version an it's installer (and btw most updated because magisk module is very outdated)

Not sure what you mean. AFAIK you need to disable apk signature verification to be able to install a modded (system) app which Google would never allow.

You should download the latest (canary) version of the framework through Edxposed manager, but install it through Magisk manager.

Also, in my setup sometimes it would say Edxposed framework was installed but not active, but it would still function. So I think there's a bug in the detection.

Ottoman98

Jul 4, 2017

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Most people won't be able to install apps such as Vanced with optimization on though, but it's only the installation process. So if you want to install such app but also have the floating window feature, well just turn it off, install your app and turn it back on.
So if I installed Vanced already via the apk, can I turn MIUI optimization back on without losing Vanced?
My battery is draining much faster after I turned it off and the battery bar doesn't work( the colorful one, the regular battery indicator is fine)

Eidenz

May 10, 2020
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
POCO M3
So if I installed Vanced already via the apk, can I turn MIUI optimization back on without losing Vanced?
My battery is draining much faster after I turned it off and the battery bar doesn't work( the colorful one, the regular battery indicator is fine)

As I said before, yes.
MIUI optimization only prevents installation. Once Vanced (or any other app) is installed, turning it back on doesn't affect them. They work perfectly fine with optimization ON.

Reactions: hiitsrudd

mookiexl

Mar 17, 2011
As I said before, yes.
MIUI optimization only prevents installation. Once Vanced (or any other app) is installed, turning it back on doesn't affect them. They work perfectly fine with optimization ON.

Miui optimization being on didn't stop me from installing any third party apps including Vanced and several others from backup apks from my OnePlus 7 pro all before root. How did you come to that conclusion?

Last edited:

Eidenz

May 10, 2020
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
POCO M3
Miui optimization being on didn't stop me from installing any third party apps including Vanced and several others from backup apks from my OnePlus 7 pro. How did you come to that conclusion?

Hm idk, probably because I own a poco f2 pro and had to disable optimization in order to install vanced but could turn it back on afterwards? (Like a lot of people owning a Xiaomi with miui 11+)

Do you have any more of these odd questions?

Reactions: wesleywts

mookiexl

Mar 17, 2011
Hm idk, probably because I own a poco f2 pro and had to disable optimization in order to install vanced but could turn it back on afterwards? (Like a lot of people owning a Xiaomi with miui 11+)

Mr. sarcasm my question, if you even fully read it, was sparked by my own personal experience with this device that I've owned for last than a week. Responding to a question with a question just shows your too simple minded to realize that I wasnt attacking you at all. As a senior member here I do feel it is somewhat of a responsibility to make sure correct information is given. There are three ways to install Vanced if I recall correctly. Apk version worked for me optimization on on global and again on eu. You see how easy that was to give useful information or did that computer with hair growing out of it on your shoulders process that as odd too?

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Frxhb

Eidenz

May 10, 2020
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
POCO M3
Mr. sarcasm my question, if you even fully read it, was sparked by my own personal experience with this device that I've owned for last than a week. Responding to a question with a question just shows your to dumb to realize that I wasnt attaching you at all. As a senior member here I do feel it is somewhat of a responsibility to make sure correct information is given. The are three ways to install Vanced if I recall correctly. Apk version worked for me optimization on on global and again on eu. You see how easy that was to give useful information or did that computer with hair growing out of it on your shoulders process that as odd too.

The senior member calling me dumb with spelling mistakes isn't helping in a better way.
I also mentioned I was talking about the poco f2 pro, which is the current forum for this question.
So I answered people who asked a question on this phone's forum.
Your experience with a different phone might differ.

Also, the latest way of installing vanced now is using their manager, which is the recommended way that most new users will be using.

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Thank you for editing your previous message though.

mookiexl

Mar 17, 2011
The senior member calling me dumb with spelling mistakes isn't helping in a better way.
I also mentioned I was talking about the poco f2 pro, which is the current forum for this question.

Also, the latest way of installing vanced now is using their manager, which is the recommended way that most new users will be using.

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

I had to edit it because what I said was out of character. I thought it was understood that we were talking about the same device. You win Bro, I bow out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What's your devices...? Where are you?
    Redmi note 10 pro (global version)
    Mr. sarcasm my question, if you even fully read it, was sparked by my own personal experience with this device that I've owned for last than a week. Responding to a question with a question just shows your to dumb to realize that I wasnt attaching you at all. As a senior member here I do feel it is somewhat of a responsibility to make sure correct information is given. The are three ways to install Vanced if I recall correctly. Apk version worked for me optimization on on global and again on eu. You see how easy that was to give useful information or did that computer with hair growing out of it on your shoulders process that as odd too.

As I said before, yes.
    Miui optimization being on didn't stop me from installing any third party apps including Vanced and several others from backup apks from my OnePlus 7 pro. How did you come to that conclusion?

The RAM management is so trash on this phone omg ! Can't have more than 2 apps opened or they are killed
    I just came back to this discussion. Just to be clear, you do NOT need to turn off MIUI optimizations to be able to install Vanced manager (which you could do anyway) or to use Vanced manager to actually install the Vanced Youtube app.

I'm on xiaomi.eu 12.0.8 and I used EdXposed-YAHFA-v0.5.0.6-android_r (4262)-release.zip (download through edxposed manager, install through Magisk manager). You then need to install Riru (Riru - Core v21.3) module in Magisk manager, and Core Patch 2.2 in Edxposed manager. This allows you to disable apk signature verification which is necessary to install Vanced Youtube.

I did notice that sometimes Edxposed manager says that the Edxposed framework is installed, but not active so it won't allow you to install/enable Core patch. There's an option in settings to "Skip status check". After that it worked. So my conclusion is that sometimes the detection is bugged, but it's still installed and working correctly.

After all this I disabled both Edxposed and Core patch, since apk signature verification is also a safety feature. This doesn't seem to cause any issues once the app has been installed. If I need to update vanced Youtube I'll enable them again temporarily.

You seem to be mixing root installation and non-root one?

But just to say, vanced can be installed without disabling apk signature verification (as I saw you said it was necessary, but it's not). However, in most cases, it requires miui optimization to be off during installation.
    I'm on MIUI 12.0.2.0 EU (Android 10) non-root, and I had to disable miui optimization during install, as the manager kept telling me the installation failed. But I could turn it back on afterwards.