Miui Stable vs Developer

Search This thread

xandreasx

Mar 6, 2011
www.asvideofficial.com
Hi guys,sorry for this stupid question but after the xiaomi's news about the bootloader re-lock that causes a brick...i'm not sure of anything...so i'im asking this
I bought a mi8 6/64 global version(bootloader locked) so i think that is coming with the global stable.
So if i want to put the global developer can i just download the package from miui website and then install it from.the system update settings on the smartphone without problems?
Like bricks,errors or something weird? ?
If yes...afyer that,can i come back to the global stable without issues?

achickennugget

Sep 14, 2015
Singapore
Context:
Over the few months i have seen many Mi 8 owners who tweak their phone end up with a bricked device, of all the cases, a huge majority of them is due to the lack of research and jumping into modifying their phones before fully uinderstanding the situation (I almost made the mistake too, taking for granted that all android phones have minimal restrictions)

There are two things to take note of (especially if you decide to tweak your Mi 8/SE):

1. Xiaomi implemented a policy that prevents relocking of bootloader if you install a Global Rom on a China Variant Mi Phone

What this means: You cannot relock bootloader if your Mi8/SE is a China variant and ou have Global Miui version installed (Developer/Stable)

Common mistake(s):
1. Avoid 'Clean and lock' option when using Mi Flash. Only use 'Clean all' or 'Save user data' option
2. Do not relock your Mi8/SE if you are on Global Beta or Developer or Any MIUI rom that is Global

2. Google implemented a policy that prevents rollback to older Android versions for Android Oreo and above Roms. This is for 'Security' reasons and affects MIUI.

What this means: You cannot rollback to an older Miui version (Below Android 8.0) if you already you are currently on Andorid Oreo (i.e Miui 10) and up.

Common mistake(s):
1. Do not restore an old backup with Miui that has any Android version less than 8.0 from Miui 10 ( Android 8.0)
2. Do not install Miui 9 (Below Android 8.0) after installing Miui 10 (Android 8.0 Above)

*Tip: Ask yourself if the Android version you are about to install is lower than the Android version currently installed, if it is, DO NOT flash it. (Applicable if you are currently on Android 8.0 and up)

Please keep all of this in mind before you start tweaking your phone as you will run the risk of bricking your Mi 8/SE. After which, your Mi 8 becomes a very expensive paperweight. I hope this helps to clear things up for many people! Do know that while I disagree with Xiaomi's new anti-consumer policy, i also feel that it is YOUR responsiblility in your own actions, especially when you decide to modify your device and when you do modify anything (not just phones), there are always risks involved. When in doubt, it does no harm to Google it or just ask around in the forums. Moral of the story: Proceed with caution!

For those already bricked:
1. Contact Xiaomi Customer Service and try obtain edl permission to peform Testpoint fix.
2. Bring your phone to a Mi Store and hope that they can help you with it.

*In the case where my information is wrong, please correct me so that I can update accordingly for the benefit of everyone!

Have a nice day ahead and all the best in your phone tweaking adventures! Hopefully I helped you in clearing things up
Device:/QUOTE]

You mean this?

xandreasx

Mar 6, 2011
www.asvideofficial.com
Context:
Over the few months i have seen many Mi 8 owners who tweak their phone end up with a bricked device, of all the cases, a huge majority of them is due to the lack of research and jumping into modifying their phones before fully uinderstanding the situation (I almost made the mistake too, taking for granted that all android phones have minimal restrictions)

There are two things to take note of (especially if you decide to tweak your Mi 8/SE):

1. Xiaomi implemented a policy that prevents relocking of bootloader if you install a Global Rom on a China Variant Mi Phone

What this means: You cannot relock bootloader if your Mi8/SE is a China variant and ou have Global Miui version installed (Developer/Stable)

Common mistake(s):
1. Avoid 'Clean and lock' option when using Mi Flash. Only use 'Clean all' or 'Save user data' option
2. Do not relock your Mi8/SE if you are on Global Beta or Developer or Any MIUI rom that is Global

2. Google implemented a policy that prevents rollback to older Android versions for Android Oreo and above Roms. This is for 'Security' reasons and affects MIUI.

What this means: You cannot rollback to an older Miui version (Below Android 8.0) if you already you are currently on Andorid Oreo (i.e Miui 10) and up.

Common mistake(s):
1. Do not restore an old backup with Miui that has any Android version less than 8.0 from Miui 10 ( Android 8.0)
2. Do not install Miui 9 (Below Android 8.0) after installing Miui 10 (Android 8.0 Above)

*Tip: Ask yourself if the Android version you are about to install is lower than the Android version currently installed, if it is, DO NOT flash it. (Applicable if you are currently on Android 8.0 and up)

Please keep all of this in mind before you start tweaking your phone as you will run the risk of bricking your Mi 8/SE. After which, your Mi 8 becomes a very expensive paperweight. I hope this helps to clear things up for many people! Do know that while I disagree with Xiaomi's new anti-consumer policy, i also feel that it is YOUR responsiblility in your own actions, especially when you decide to modify your device and when you do modify anything (not just phones), there are always risks involved. When in doubt, it does no harm to Google it or just ask around in the forums. Moral of the story: Proceed with caution!

For those already bricked:
1. Contact Xiaomi Customer Service and try obtain edl permission to peform Testpoint fix.
2. Bring your phone to a Mi Store and hope that they can help you with it.

*In the case where my information is wrong, please correct me so that I can update accordingly for the benefit of everyone!

Have a nice day ahead and all the best in your phone tweaking adventures! Hopefully I helped you in clearing things up
Device:/QUOTE]

You mean this?

I have the bootloader that is locked and i would like to leave it locked.
Then, is it possibile to change rom from GLOBAL STABLE to GLOBAL DEVELOPER without unlocking the bootloader and making other "modding things"?
Then(only if the 2 roms have the same android,so not now) can i switch back from DEVELOPER to STABLE (with locked bootloader and only if they have the same android version)?

achickennugget

Sep 14, 2015
Singapore
I have the bootloader that is locked and i would like to leave it locked.
Then, is it possibile to change rom from GLOBAL STABLE to GLOBAL DEVELOPER without unlocking the bootloader and making other "modding things"?
Then(only if the 2 roms have the same android,so not now) can i switch back from DEVELOPER to STABLE (with locked bootloader and only if they have the same android version)?

I see what you mean, so yours is the global version and you want to flash without unlocking, http://en.miui.com/thread-720781-1-1.html (google search). Yes u can, from my personal experience, upgrading shouldn't require data wipe, but if you downgrade be prepared to wipe data, thats the only drawback, but you can definitely do it without a bootloader unlock using XiaomiTool or Miflash as well. For upgrading to developer just use updater app and select package, if not possible then miflash. Be careful flashing, you shouldnt have any problems as of now as long as you stay away from China rom. Miui roms are all ARB:1 which means ARB not yet activated, so downgrade possible. Have a good day ahead and have fun with your new Mi 8, it is a great phone (apart from the EDL lock **** Xiaomi pulled)

Last edited:
Reactions: xandreasx

giannib.90

Apr 19, 2011
Roma
you can switch from global to dev with locked bootloader. Just download the dev of Android 8.1 and install it via settings - choose package, this will format the phone. Then you will get the Android 9 8.11.8 update

xandreasx

Mar 6, 2011
www.asvideofficial.com
Sorry guys if i bother you again.
But someone just told me that, yes it's possible to change from global stable to global developer but that i should have the same Android version (in this case right now stable is 8 and developer 9).
Otherwise i should unlock the bootloader and then i can switch...
What do you think?

ricpicpr

Apr 15, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Hi guys,sorry for this stupid question but after the xiaomi's news about the bootloader re-lock that causes a brick...i'm not sure of anything...so i'im asking this
I bought a mi8 6/64 global version(bootloader locked) so i think that is coming with the global stable.
So if i want to put the global developer can i just download the package from miui website and then install it from.the system update settings on the smartphone without problems?
Like bricks,errors or something weird?
If yes...afyer that,can i come back to the global stable without issues?

Here the answer: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-8/help/upgrade-to-pie-global-beta-global-t3864071

datbuidoi

Jun 25, 2013
Im on Global Rom 10.0.3.0 with unlock bootloader
Now i want to switch to global beta rom
Is there any changes that i can keep my data (image, sms, call log, apps data...)

littlejonny17

Jun 19, 2013
Porto
I have global stable 10.0.3.0 on global mi 8, locked bootloader. I downloaded 8.9.7 Global dev but the updater app says that it's not allowed to update to an unofficial rom. What version of oreo global dev do I have to flash?

Top Liked Posts