Question Mix Fold 2 Tips & Tricks

Search This thread

knives of ice

Jul 12, 2007
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Here are some things I've learned and/or used to solve things and make this phone how I want it in the first month of so of ownership:

- install all the Androplus magisk modules
- if you search for "more dark mode options" in settings you can choose to force whatever app you want into dark mode. this one took me awhile to figure out
- if you are rooted and have any problem getting notifications use the app DozeOff from the Fdroid store
- if you want to see screen on time install digital wellbeing from the play store, no app will appear installed but you can use the app activity launcher to open it, then in settings you can choose to have the app appear.
- for some reason forcing desktop mode in chrome android does not work for me after turning the chrome flag on, but using the app Chrome UA forces chrome to display websites in desktop mode as default each time instead of mobile
- use vivid navigation gestures so you have gestures with a 3rd party launcher
- if you want to use a 3rd party app and hide the nav bar, use the magisk module Fullscreen/Immersive Gestures q-t, us the androplus modele Hide Status bar to get a truly fullscreen phone when unfolded.
- are you not getting the latest MIUI update and also want to stay rooted with magisk? install MIUI downloader from the play store, grab the latest software there you want the full version. go to miui updates in settings and tap on the icon 10 times, you will now have the option to flash update files. install the magisk module MIUI flash freely. you can now flash a full rom update from the file you downloaded. flash the update but don't reboot. go to magisk and install magisk to inactive slot OTA. you'll now have the latest version of MIUI and won't have to wait.

dooley19

Jun 25, 2010
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Here are some things I've learned and/or used to solve things and make this phone how I want it in the first month of so of ownership:

- if you search for "more dark mode options" in settings you can choose to force whatever app you want into dark mode. this one took me awhile to figure out
- if you are rooted and have any problem getting notifications use the app DozeOff from the Fdroid store
- if you want to see screen on time install digital wellbeing from the play store, no app will appear installed but you can use the app activity launcher to open it, then in settings you can choose to have the app appear.
- for some reason forcing desktop mode in chrome android does not work for me after turning the chrome flag on, but using the app Chrome UA forces chrome to display websites in desktop mode as default each time instead of mobile
- if you want to use a 3rd party app and hide the nav bar, use the magisk module Fullscreen/Immersive Gestures q-t, us the androplus modele Hide Status bar to get a truly fullscreen phone when unfolded.
- are you not getting the latest MIUI update and also want to stay rooted with magisk? install MIUI downloader from the play store, grab the latest software there you want the full version. go to miui updates in settings and tap on the icon 10 times, you will now have the option to flash update files. install the magisk module MIUI flash freely. you can now flash a full rom update from the file you downloaded. flash the update but don't reboot. go to magisk and install magisk to inactive slot OTA. you'll now have the latest version of MIUI and won't have to wait.
Hi, I 'm not understanding your way of updating. When you say go to miui udates in setings, what settings? In the app or the phone settingts? tap what icon 10 times?

knives of ice

Jul 12, 2007
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Hi, I 'm not understanding your way of updating. When you say go to miui udates in setings, what settings? In the app or the phone settingts? tap what icon 10 times?

just follow that, then you have to install the magisk module to be able to install the local file

Reactions: dooley19

dooley19

Jun 25, 2010
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Phone updated on its own. I had to reboot to turn on the setting to press 10 times. When I rebooted. It was on the new firmware but I'm not rooted anymore

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
Yes. Auto update must be disabled both in Settings and in Developer Options. You can manually update, but to preserve root you must carefully follow the instructions knives of ice and I have posted on the forum.

dooley19

Jun 25, 2010
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Yes. Auto update must be disabled both in Settings and in Developer Options. You can manually update, but to preserve root you must carefully follow the instructions knives of ice and I have posted on the forum.
Okay thanks I'm now rooted again and I turned off auto update. Any good modules to download? I have the android auto one and the MIUI China to Global.

Waltee

Jul 9, 2014
Anyone else had issues with voice calls sounding absolutely awful for the other person?

Apparently it sounds like I'm under water and doesn't sound great at all. I then recorded a phonecall with someone and can confirm that my end sounds absolutely awful.

I'm in the UK and using Giffgaff if that counts at all.

EDIT: Had a SIM from Three arrive that I ordered 'cause I'm off to the US next week, just made a phonecall with that and the quality was a typical normal quality, not an underwater sounding mess. So whatever it is, it's something to do with Giffgaff and the phone (it works perfectly fine on my previous phone).

Last edited:

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
Anyone else had issues with voice calls sounding absolutely awful for the other person?

Apparently it sounds like I'm under water and doesn't sound great at all. I then recorded a phonecall with someone and can confirm that my end sounds absolutely awful.

I'm in the UK and using Giffgaff if that counts at all.

EDIT: Had a SIM from Three arrive that I ordered 'cause I'm off to the US next week, just made a phonecall with that and the quality was a typical normal quality, not an underwater sounding mess. So whatever it is, it's something to do with Giffgaff and the phone (it works perfectly fine on my previous phone).
Do you have VoLTE enabled? The VoLTE toggle appears in Settings/Mobile Network/SIM if coded on your SIM Card. Some SIMs, like those from T-Mobile, allow this automatically. With some carriers you have to get around the fact that this is not an "approved device" on their Network. Use the dial code * # * # 86583 # * # * to disable carrier check and the VoLTE option will appear. If it is working you will get an HD symbol before or above your cell signal bars in the system notifications tray. Without VoLTE enabled, even though you are connected to a 4G or 5G network, voice calls fall back and connect on the old 3G networks. To see if you have correctly enabled VoLTE look at your system notifications tray and note what you are connected to - ie 4G. Now place a voice call and see if it stays on 4G or whether it changes to H, H+, HSPA, or 3G. If it drops, then you don't have VoLTE enabled. If the code to disable the carrier check doesn't work, you can unlock the bootloader, root with Magisk, and install a VoLTE Enabler module. Voice quality on 3G is poor compared to VoLTE (which carries voice calls over 4G or 5G). The Americans have shut down their 3G towers so you won't be able to place voice calls in the States unless you get this settled. Alternatively, when you land in the US you can connect to the airport's WiFi and download the Google Voice app, get a free American phone number, and you can then place free phone calls in the US and Canada to American and Canadian numbers, and for just a few pence call home. Google Voice uses mobile data, so it will work anywhere in the US over 4G or 5G data. Unfortunately GiffGaff doesn't have any roaming arrangements with US carriers (it only has EU roaming partners), but if you have picked up a Three SIM, their Three Go Roam should work. If "automatically connect to preferred network" is enabled in the Settings/Mobile Data/SIM of your phone, then it might try to connect to AT&T which could be problematic. I have a Canadian SIM and the dial code to disable carrier check and enable VoLTE works with Canadian carriers, but on a trip to Colorado last week I couldn't make voice calls as the trick didn't work on the AT&T network which uses a "whitelist" of approved devices for VoLTE. T-Mobile doesn't, so I changed the phone setting to "manually select network", waited for it to search, and then chose T-Mobile. I then had VoLTE back and could place voice calls. Let us know how you made out with voice calls in the US. EDIT: I just checked with someone in the UK and GiffGaff doesn't support VoLTE at all as they push all their voice calls over 3G and VoLTE is Voice Over LTE (4G). Three, Vodafone, and EE push their voice calls over 4G in the UK.

Last edited:

Illidann

Sep 30, 2022
Hi,

After months of sitting on the fence, I finally purchased the phone and taking delivery of it the next couple of days. Coming from a 1st time user of Xiaomi and foldable phone, I would like to ask a few questions if I may:

1) Unlock the bootloader - waiting period of 168 hours.
So during the waiting period, can i start using the phone normally and transferring my data over?
2) After waiting period is up, I will start installing Magisk via patching method to root the phone. What are the list of Magisk modules and what are the must-haves to install for this phone? I don't drive so Android Auto is not required.
3) When can i start running the ADB commands to uninstall the chinese apps?
4) Is it a must to disable MIUI optimizations in order to enable horizontal split? I read somewhere that there is a horizontal spilt mod?

Thank you for taking the time to read and clear my enquiries. Really appreciate it.

Dec 20, 2016
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hi,

After months of sitting on the fence, I finally purchased the phone and taking delivery of it the next couple of days. Coming from a 1st time user of Xiaomi and foldable phone, I would like to ask a few questions if I may:

So during the waiting period, can i start using the phone normally and transferring my data over?
2) After waiting period is up, I will start installing Magisk via patching method to root the phone. What are the list of Magisk modules and what are the must-haves to install for this phone? I don't drive so Android Auto is not required.
4) Is it a must to disable MIUI optimizations in order to enable horizontal split? I read somewhere that there is a horizontal spilt mod?

Thank you for taking the time to read and clear my enquiries. Really appreciate it.

You can use it normally. Just make sure you log into your xiaomi account and dont log out during that time or else it will reset the timer

2) After waiting period is up, I will start installing Magisk via patching method to root the phone. What are the list of Magisk modules and what are the must-haves to install for this phone?
I would recommend androplus module for the global conversion and universal safteynet fix

as soon as you get the phone. Just make sure you dont remove the wrong one or else you get boot looped and need to factory reset

I dont know of any mods to enable horizontal split so im pretty sure it is. MIUI optimisations has given me more problems than features though so im fine with having it off (other than my keyboard getting reset every time I reboot)

Glesi2323

Jul 29, 2022
Hi,

As ThatsJustLogic said, be very very careful with what you erase. My first go I deleted xiaomi cloud and I kept getting an error pop up every 5 seconds.

In terms of modules, it’s really up to you and how you want the device to look and feel.

Ikatz001

Jan 8, 2023
Hi, surprised no one has mentioned this but.. There is no way to customize the app grid?? It only has the default 4x5 option and no way to change it, am I missing something? Is there a way to fix this without rooting, etc?
Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

just follow that, then you have to install the magisk module to be able to install the local file