MiXplorer: Q&A and FAQ (User Manual)

cinefilo1979

Jun 16, 2012
Loulé
Hmm... user @kubalav reported that ftp over tls is working for him:

As I don't really have experience with secure ftp connections (I've understood, there are different possibilities) I'd recommend the same as @kubalav: Please share the settings for the ftp connection and a mixplorer log in the main thread for mixplorer. As the developer is around these days (may be absent for several weeks in between) you might get an answer or even a solution soon.
Hi. my log file and configuration for my ftp server ( ultraseedbox)

Attachments

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I'm not on Android 11 yet, I do have the option to upgrade my phone, but I'm holding back because I wanna know if my favourite apps are working on Android 11.
To @marciozomb13's point I also encourage testing and 1st hand observation but if that may not be possible or may not be reversible in your case; FYI the MiXplorer development thread does contain discussions about various Android 11 issues in MiX (some since resolved), in particular Google's next wave of restrictions. A review of such discussions might guide you in making a decision regarding MiX but, then there is the rest of the stuff on your device. Ie. MiXplorer is under active development trying to catch up with Android 11 but that may not be so for other things on your device.

pocketrule

Sep 23, 2016
Improvement of open with dialogue

I'm very happy. @HootanParsa has made my wish come true. In current beta, i.e. beginning with version 6.51 you have more possibilities in "open with" dialogue.

Initially I described what I wanted here

Now, you can set a default app to open a specific file type (set in "open with" dialogue and saved with "remember") as long as there's no change (which could be initiated again with "open with" and "remember")

So you could open e.g. text files with text editor by default, but you could open a text file (once) with another app by choosing "open with" - without activating "remember". And then the next text file would be opened with text editor again.

The same is now valid for files from a network storage. You can remember to open these files directly or to save them in a temporary folder. Now you can change this behaviour in "open with" dialogue once without activating the "remember" checkbox.

This is a way more flexible way to open files, especially if you just want to open a specific file only once with another app. Now, it's not necessary anymore to first reset the open with settings and to save them again.

@IronTechmonkey: Maybe you want to update your MiX Nugget - various Settings Resets

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks @HemanthJabalpuri for suggesting here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/mixplorer-q-a-and-faq-user-manual.3308582/post-84177765 to add a History of MiXplorer section to the FAQ and providing the link to HP's comment.

Also thanks @CLPose for suggesting the same (gulp) 2 years ago here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...y-featured-file-manager.1523691/post-77895006. The river moves faster in the main thread and is more likely to sweep away such tidbits before they make onto a todo list - which is why the FAQ is best for such suggestions, but it is still appreciated.

A History of MiXplorer section has been added to post #1 https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/mixplorer-q-a-and-faq-user-manual.3308582/, and other changes have been made.

- Added MiX History section including a comment about open/vs closed source.
- Overhaul "Getting MiXplorer" section (removed reference to MiX website, general edits)
- Decreased prominence of XDA Labs as source*
- General cleanup and leaning down.

*Do many people still use XDA labs via web browsers?

Also thanks @marciozomb13, I really like your suggestion to include quotes from HP about closed source (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/mixplorer-q-a-and-faq-user-manual.3308582/post-84179931) but I cannot find them. For now I've included a general comment. If we can find Hootan's comments about that I'll add links. Likewise for any other relevant comments by HP that are found.

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
This is a copy of the new history section from the OP (to give it more exposure for potential feedback)
------------------------------
SOME MIXPLORER HISTORY (MiXtory?)

This post by HootanParsa describes a how MiXplorer got started and some key events during its relationship with Google Play Store. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...y-featured-file-manager.1523691/post-77894840

Here is another note from HootanParsa regarding the history of MiXplorer on Playstore https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523691&p=73870110.

MiXplorer is closed source, and because the developer rarely if ever engages in discussions about closed vs. open source this is not discussed or debated at length in the main MiX thread. This is not by any rule but rather by respect for the developer's decision. That being said, past discussions about closed vs. open source have been well informed and informative. Such discussions really do relate to software development if not the bugs to be fixed at any given moment so please feel free to have such discussion here if the become too much for the main thread.

------------------------------

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Pretty sure HP would lose track of several feature requests due to obvious reasons.

I think XDA should allow for 3 tags within every thread:
1. Bug reporting
2. Feature requests
3. Help & General Discussions

When a user posts a comment, he should also be forced to choose one of the above tags.

All participants, especially the creator of the thread, should then be able to filter out comments that fall into one of the above categories. If a bug has been addressed or a feature has been implemented, the creator should then be able to 'mark' it as solved, which then gets a separate tag of its own called 'Solved'.

That way huge threads such as this one will be much more easier to navigate and the creator will have a much easier time getting to comments that help him make his product better.
You will find that the developer does an excellent job of keeping track of both bug reports and feature requests. Also it could be fairly said that the biggest distraction at the moment was this discussion so I brought it here. To @Ultramanoid's point: those are great ideas you suggest but they would be more appropriately discussed in one of the threads for the new XDA system or the this FAQ.

Jemus

Jun 5, 2012
I was interested if MiXplorer contains a feature to wake on lan a server at home.

I saw the option "wol=" which can be set in the preferences of a smb share.
But is that all i takes?
Simply type in "wol=yes" into the preferences and MiXplorer will send a magic paket everytime I try to connect to my server?

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Anyone please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding, the version on the playstore is not a "PRO" version, its simply an easy way to donate to @HootanParsa for all his hard work on this wonderful file manager.
Yes.

The version you install here has all the features that the playstore version has.
Not exactly. XDA stable is the same base app as silver at play store but does not include the add-ons which would have to be manually installed.

The Beta may have some new features that are beeing tested, or tests of existing features that are being fixed.
Yes beta is for testing but the reason there has been some confusion lately is that people have noticed the beta is larger than expected and has a round icon like the play store version. It would make sense that in the beta HP is preparing the whole package including the add-ons that would be included in play store version.

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Everyone is free to express their opinion. I go through this thread mostly in silence, but today I must protest or express my opinion. I apologize in advance, it's nothing personal, it's just my reaction to your request.

Just as there are users who don't need to show a file extension, for example, there will probably be those who don't need a time stamp in the file timestamp, but for me, the file timestamp has always been and will be defined by date and time. I couldn't do without it.
+1 (in general apart from this particular opinion). In grade school I learned the importance of being able to logically argue the opposed side of a debate against my own preference, and here at XDA I've learned that language differences can make expressions of opinions seem overstated. Maybe in this case the expression of opinion seemed strong due to language differences but to your point; opinions here are sometimes stated as if the only way to do things, as if no one else exists, and as if logical disagreement or differing opinion is an attack. I'm not saying that is the case this time but in the past I've been followed from here to other threads and trolled by people who do not understand this even though I argue for their opinion as well as mine which differs, so this stuff matters to me.

IMO Development is best informed by a robust discussion about varying opinions, not by declaration that one particular opinion must be the best and therefore must be implemented (even when that may ultimately be the case - after review) .

[EDIT] @TheMystic, this was not directed specifically at you since you've already shown willingness to engage debate including counter opinions. As someone else who expresses opinions firmly I can tell you that even if you are thinking about both sides it may not always seem that way to others.

For instance:

"can you allow for removing the time info (but retain the date) from being displayed"
Asking for something as an option that takes nothing from other preferences most likely wont raise any dander.

"the time info is mostly unnecessary"
One person's opinion which could be perceived by others to diminish their own preferences even if that is not the intent of the statement.

Again, @TheMystic this is not a criticism of you. Your post was just a good example of one where such misinterpretation can occur.

Last edited: