MiXplorer: Q&A and FAQ (User Manual)

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Themes and Skins

vi. SKINS and THEMES

Note: Thanks @FatalBulletHit for the excellent materiel and re-write of this post.

There are 2 ways to change the look of the MiXplorer UI: Skins, and Themes.

Skins:

- Skins primarily involve the colours of various elements, font parameters (eg bold/normal), icon parameters (eg round/square). There are many elements to keep track of but this is all accessible through the MiXplorer UI. Modifying skins can be done within the MiXplorer app by going to: 3 Dot menu > Settings > Skin. Until you learn the various elements, testing small changes incrementally may be advisable and is a good way to explore. eg Make one element bright red then check the UI to see what changed. Lather, rinse, repeat with different elements.

Skins may be uploaded or downloaded from the Skins gallery (where there are instructions about how to upload your own skin and apply skins). http://gallery.asymmetrics.nl/index...io5NTZmNzliOTMzOWY4ZDRlYmM3ZjQxNWZjYzE2ZjI3Yg. There are many nice user contributed skins in this gallery. There may be others shared in various posts in the MiXplorer threads.

To select a skin: Settings - Skin - <select skin>
To create new skin (based on default skin): Settings - Skins - Add - New
To modify an existing skin: Settings - Skins - <pencil> - Edit

Skin documentation: You can find a somewhat in depth documentation by @FatalBulletHit in this FAQ post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78541319&postcount=733.
Preview:

To save a new or modified skin:
- To save a skin for the first time: Tap "save" then enter the name of the skin and the author.
- To save after modifying an existing skin, tap save (name/author will not be requested again.)

To export skin (2 ways):
- Settings - Skins - <pencil> - Export - clipboard.
This exports the skin to clipboard. The clipboard contents can be pasted into a text file and saved, or pasted into a new MiXplorer installation.

or

- Settings - Skins - <pencil> - Export - micfg
This saves the skin as an importable .micfg file.

To install skin (2 ways):
- Copy skin values from a text file into buffer, or have them in buffer from previous export to clipboard.
- Settings - Skins - Add - Clipboard

or

- Navigate to and select a <skinname>.micfg file than select "Import"

----------------------------------------------

Themes

- Themes yield an even wider range of potential UI changes which are made by modifying the actual resources (files and other graphic aspects) with which the UI is constructed and displayed during use. Creating themes requires some understanding about the resources themselves and how to perform some intermediate file management tasks but it is not very hard to do.

- Custom can be found and discussed a few places (and as with any other MiX discussion is welcome here as well):

@djdarkknight96's thread:
Announced here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76812709&postcount=25259
Direct link here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76812645&postcount=1

@TerrorFlatRider's thread:
Announced here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76816946&postcount=25262
Direct link here: [Themes] MiXplorer Themes by TerrorFlatRider; https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76816946&postcount=25262

Themes from Vladimir:
Announced here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78240950&postcount=26780
Direct link here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rPYLPtJGeu9iwPCTasT_f2K86uVho7pU

Theme by @mhz
https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...-theme-mhz-t4147783/post83616953#post83616953

This is the list of available user created theme and skin repositories as listed in the main thread as of October 2020.

From: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=23109280&postcount=2

These:
• Themes by @djdarkknight96
• Themes by @TerrorFlatRider
• Themes by Vladimir
• Themes by Marciozomb13
• Theme Corporate
• Guillaume Skins Gallery
• YandLiu Skins Gallery

Sample theme which could be used as a template. https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76629263&postcount=25049

To install a Theme: Open MiXplorer (must be MiX, not other file manager) > tap theme mit file > tap import.
To remove/revert theme to default: Settings > More Settings > Reset > Theme.

Note: When installing or installing themes it is best to first revert to the default skin as well.

LINKS TO FAQ SECTIONS
i. INTRODUCTION, GETTING MIXPLORER, & INSTALLATION
ii. UI, NAVIGATION, VIEW CONFIGURATION, BOOKMARKS, TABS
iii. WORKING WITH FILES & FOLDERS
iv. FTP, HTTP, TCP SERVERS
v. PLUG-INS & SETTINGS
vi. THEMES and SKINS
vii. BUG REPORTING, TROUBLESHOOTING, AND FAQ WIP

WTF why cant I edit this post
I'm not sure if you have seen my thread, but if you think it would be helpful, you can include the link in this post:

Thanks (either way).

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I'm not sure if you have seen my thread, but if you think it would be helpful, you can include the link in this post:

Thanks (either way).
Indeed yes. I'll add that and some other new theme related links to the OPs of this thread. Maybe yours is one of the links I already have, things are moving so fast. Thanks!

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013

Thanks (either way).
Apologies for the delay (and for missing this the first time - it was on a to-do list that I lost track of). This is what has been added to the theming post

"New (as of December 2020) MiX Theme-ing thread by @TheMystic: [Tutorial] MiXplorer – Themes & Skins – How to make them? https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tutorial-mixplorer-themes-skins-how-to-make-them.4202319/"

HootanParsa would probably add it to the OPs of the main thread at your request, or I could mention HP in this post.

Last edited:

firemouz

Aug 26, 2012
I have problems with my "Storage" Drive mega.nz:

I added Mega ("+" Storage) and then i choose Mega.nz. I did type in my key and had access to my mega cloud drive. But every time i restart the Mixplorer app i have to type in the key (or email login+password) again to have access to my mega.nz cloud drive. How can i save this information so i have access to Mega without typing in my key or password every time?

With GoogleDrive it works without typing my passwort every time, but not with mega. Can anyone help?

Reactions: pocketrule

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Can someone tell me what is the use of Share local link option when we select something.

Thanks
Good question. This one is new to me but upon exploration it seems to open a MiX HTTP server to the current location. After being invoked the HTTP server can be turned off from the notification or from within MiX. I'm not sure how it handles differences between this feature and the default HTTP server settings or how it might share files and folders differently but the function seems to be - sharing an item via HTTP server.

Nice find.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I have problems with my "Storage" Drive mega.nz:

I added Mega ("+" Storage) and then i choose Mega.nz. I did type in my key and had access to my mega cloud drive. But every time i restart the Mixplorer app i have to type in the key (or email login+password) again to have access to my mega.nz cloud drive. How can i save this information so i have access to Mega without typing in my key or password every time?

With GoogleDrive it works without typing my passwort every time, but not with mega. Can anyone help?
If you have not already done so you might want to ask this question in the main thread and perhaps include extra information and or a log.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
@IronTechmonkey
Can you please add a note that 6.46.3 is the last version for Android 2.0(5) and 2.0.1(6), 2.1(7) versions.
I know that this is obsolete, but may help someone.

Thanks
Good idea. Walking the line between encouraging use of latest version while acknowledging that one of MiXplorer's benefits is the range of devices upon which it works I came up with this.

"Note: MiXplorer can function on a wide range of devices and even some much older Android versions. Although it is recommended to use the current XDA stable or Playstore Silver version of MiX whenever possible (since those are the versions under current development) in some cases only an older version of MiXplorer might work. Here is one such Android-version boundary (more to be listed as discovered)

- 6.46.3 is the last version of MiXplorer compatible with for Android 2.0(5) and 2.0.1(6), 2.1(7) versions
."

There are reasons why developers or users might not think suggesting this in the OPs is appropriate, in which case it can be left in the threads. If anyone thinks it should be modified or not included in the OPs please do say so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramanoid

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
MiX - Nugget: Version compatibility (possibly helpful for some older devices):

Note: MiXplorer can function on a wide range of devices and even some much older Android versions. Although it is recommended to use the current XDA stable or Playstore Silver version of MiX whenever possible (since those are the versions under current development) in some cases only an older version of MiXplorer might work. Here is one such Android-version boundary (more to be listed as discovered)

- 6.46.3 is the last version of MiXplorer compatible with for Android 2.0(5) and 2.0.1(6), 2.1(7) versions.

Disclaimer: This information has been shared here because the developer has never objected to users comparing notes about this in the past ... however...issue reporting is to be from the latest stable or beta versions.

Last edited:

atpray

Feb 13, 2021
Version: 6.51.6 B21020750
Bug: .xapk files are not installed correctly, on clicking the install button after clicking xapk file, only the app is installed, the obb folder is not restored correctly.
Rooted with magisk 21.4

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Regarding media scanner and the new MiX media scanner notification.

1) Is it scaning only the selected folder recursively (as it seems to be doing)? *

2) Should the notification persist when tapped while the scan is ongoing; Something like requiring expand then tap while scan is running, and just tap if scan is complete?

Presently tapping the notification dismisses it and returns to the MiX UI even if the scan is still running. Setting it as a permanent notification could leave it hanging in some instances but maybe there is a way to make it so that while the scan is running it would require two steps - such as expand then tap - to dismiss the notification, and when the scan is complete merely tapping the notification closes it.

*Based on processor activity it seems that it is recursively scanning the folder that is presently selected.

When Media Scanner is invoked from a directory on external drive in which there are a few hundred folders and files most of which are not media types the scan seems to end in about 30 seconds and the MiX notification indicates complete about 15 seconds after that.

When the scanner is run at the root of an external drive which contains 122 GB of material on a 128 GB SD with 25 GB/3700 media files it takes much longer, possibly 5 minutes on this device, and then experiences a similar 15 or 30 second leg before the notification indicates scan complete.

It would be nice to have the media scan notification persist even when tapped during those longer scans but not if that might make it prone to getting stuck.

Last edited:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Regarding media scanner and the new MiX media scanner notification.

1) Is it scaning only the selected folder recursively (as it seems to be doing)? *

2) Should the notification persist when tapped while the scan is ongoing; Something like requiring expand then tap while scan is running, and just tap if scan is complete?

Presently tapping the notification dismisses it and returns to the MiX UI even if the scan is still running. Setting it as a permanent notification could leave it hanging in some instances but maybe there is a way to make it so that while the scan is running it would require two steps - such as expand then tap - to dismiss the notification, and when the scan is complete merely tapping the notification closes it.

*Based on processor activity it seems that it is recursively scanning the folder that is presently selected.

When Media Scanner is invoked from a directory on external drive in which there are a few hundred folders and files most of which are not media types the scan seems to end in about 30 seconds and the MiX notification indicates complete about 15 seconds after that.

When the scanner is run at the root of an external drive which contains 122 GB of material on a 128 GB SD with 25 GB/3700 media files it takes much longer, possibly 5 minutes on this device, and then experiences a similar 15 or 30 second leg before the notification indicates scan complete.

It would be nice to have the media scan notification persist even when tapped during those longer scans but not if that might make it prone to getting stuck.
I have an app that does media scanning. The java call I use does not interact back with the calling app updating on the progress of the actual scan. It is asynchronous. The requests are placed in a que, and it returns back to the calling app. If I issue it 1000 individual items, it returns before the scan is finished. It basically returns as an acknowledgment that the item has been placed in the que, not that it has been scanned. To the user, it takes a few seconds to return from the interface, but that is NOT an acknowledgment that the scan has been completed.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I have an app that does media scanning. The java call I use does not interact back with the calling app updating on the progress of the actual scan. It is asynchronous. The requests are placed in a que, and it returns back to the calling app. If I issue it 1000 individual items, it returns before the scan is finished. It basically returns as an acknowledgment that the item has been placed in the que, not that it has been scanned. To the user, it takes a few seconds to return from the interface, but that is NOT an acknowledgment that the scan has been completed.
I was wondering if you with your experience deep diving into the media scanner might chime in. Thanks for the explanation. I had been wondering if MiX was behaving as you described above which is why I scanned the small directory and the entire drive for comparison.

In the case of MiXplorer, the media scanner notification does indeed seem to be aware of the end of the scan.* In both the case of the short lasting less than 30 seconds, and the much longer scan lasting over 5 minutes the MiX notification indicated scan complete 15 to 30 seconds after it was complete.

it is actually because of the MiX notification's ability to detect that the scan has ended which prompted me to suggest a change to the notification behavior.

- Notification persist until the scan was complete even if tapped.
- If the scan is complete single tap will close the notification.
- If the scan is not complete single tap will not close notification.
- As a way to avoid a stuck notification there could be an option to expand then close notification regardless of scan status.

I should disclaim that I am content with the current notification behavior now that I know not to touch it until the scan is complete, so this is somewhat of an academic exercise which is why I put it in this thread.

* Something must be telling mix that the scan has ended but I don't know what that is.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I was wondering if you with your experience deep diving into the media scanner might chime in. Thanks for the explanation. I had been wondering if MiX was behaving as you described above which is why I scanned the small directory and the entire drive for comparison.

In the case of MiXplorer, the media scanner notification does indeed seem to be aware of the end of the scan.* In both the case of the short lasting less than 30 seconds, and the much longer scan lasting over 5 minutes the MiX notification indicated scan complete 15 to 30 seconds after it was complete.

it is actually because of the MiX notification's ability to detect that the scan has ended which prompted me to suggest a change to the notification behavior.

- Notification persist until the scan was complete even if tapped.
- If the scan is complete single tap will close the notification.
- If the scan is not complete single tap will not close notification.
- As a way to avoid a stuck notification there could be an option to expand then close notification regardless of scan status.

I should disclaim that I am content with the current notification behavior now that I know not to touch it until the scan is complete, so this is somewhat of an academic exercise which is why I put it in this thread.

* Something must be telling mix that the scan has ended but I don't know what that is.
It is more than possible that android issues an intent on completion of the scan. I have not investigated that, and its been a looong while since I coded the media scan, so it is possible that the call has a callback option/parameter, but i think the intent would be more in line with androids way of doing things.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
It is more than possible that android issues an intent on completion of the scan. I have not investigated that, and its been a looong while since I coded the media scan, so it is possible that the call has a callback option/parameter, but i think the intent would be more in line with androids way of doing things.
Yep (sez I as if I actually know), with likely many apps wanting to know the status of the scan, and with the scan length being variable, it does make sense to use a flag such as the intent you describe rather than monitoring the processes.

Apart from how the scan completion is detected I like the fact that MiX seems to be invoking the scan recursively from the currently viewed directory. The ability to do that quickly on a sub-directory without waiting for the entire scan to complete has some simple troubleshooting benefits, (EG. Can't see a newly copied file) which I might advertise in the FAQ once I get confirmation that is how it is behaving.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Some regex suggestions mentioned in the main thread have been added to the regex MiX nugget here (also referenced from the FAQ OPs): https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/mixplorer-q-a-and-faq-user-manual.3308582/post-71218953. Thanks @EuK_V, @J.Michael and @bsoplinger for the suggetions.

Disclaimer, I'm not rigorously scanning these suggestions for duplicates because for anyone exploring regex any of those discussions and linked material therein might be useful. That being said, if anything incorrect or inaccurate has been linked please let me know. Thank you.