MiXplorer: Q&A and FAQ (User Manual)

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
MiX Nugget – Optimizing network connections (mostly for speed).

Regarding network connections and their MiX Bookmarks; sometimes there are settings or parameters which can be changed to increase speed (or increase security most likely at the expense of speed). This post attempts to assemble various tips regarding MiX network bookmarks.

1) Disable thumbnails: disabling thumbnails when working across network connections can significantly increase speed and reduce overall data usage. The difference can be quite noticeable in some cases.
To disable thumbnails: Edit Bookmark > advanced parameter section > thumbnails=no.

2) Disable SMB3. If you don’t need to use SMB3 then disabling it might significantly increase speed.
To disable SMB3: Edit Bookmark > advanced parameter section > smb3=no. Note: this is one of the cases where, as suggested above, you would be trading security for speed. It is up to each individual to assess the security of their own networks and make appropriate decisions in this regard.

More to come (I hope)..

Last edited:

Exameden

Jun 7, 2019
Settings - more settings - export.
Thanks for the info, I didn't reply till the the actual purchase, but the most puzzling part was the import one. I expected some dedicated menu item mysteriously missing from my copy until found that I should open the actual file in the MixPlorer itself. Some will tell this is obvious, but sometimes for someone is not :unsure:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks for the info, I didn't reply till the the actual purchase, but the most puzzling part was the import one. I expected some dedicated menu item mysteriously missing from my copy until found that I should open the actual file in the MixPlorer itself. Some will tell this is obvious, but sometimes for someone is not :unsure:
Indeed some things are not intuitive and obvious. There have even been new features which I only discovered by accident or after someone else mentioned them. That being said, most of this stuff is explained in the opening posts of this FAQ (but I'll check to see if export-import can be made more prominent - maybe in the Installing MiXplorer section).

Last edited:

Jurtoday

Aug 9, 2010
When I open MiXplorer on my Chromebook, everytime I get the message 'Attention: Please select SD card: /storage/MyFiles to gain permission'
My Chromebook has no SD card only an internal memory. How do I change the path? I can change the name but not the path. When I delete the bookmark. A new bookmark is created and get the above message again.

In the installation manual it says:
'- Navigate to external SD and create a new folder. There should a prompt "Attention Please select Ext SD... to gain permissions". Note: In some situations you may not have to create a folder to invoke this prompt.'
But like I said, I can't change the path of /storage/MyFiles

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
When I open MiXplorer on my Chromebook, everytime I get the message 'Attention: Please select SD card: /storage/MyFiles to gain permission'
My Chromebook has no SD card only an internal memory. How do I change the path? I can change the name but not the path. When I delete the bookmark. A new bookmark is created and get the above message again.

In the installation manual it says:
'- Navigate to external SD and create a new folder. There should a prompt "Attention Please select Ext SD... to gain permissions". Note: In some situations you may not have to create a folder to invoke this prompt.'
But like I said, I can't change the path of /storage/MyFiles
Thanks for taking the time to review the OPs. Even when it is required - that step of creating a folder to force the permissions prompt should only be needed once. There has been a recent report of repeated permissions prompts but I'm not sure if that was on a Chromebook. In any event; more details about the device and a log (particularly the log) would help determine what's going on. You could share that information in the main thread and possibly also find that similar report there for comparison.

Last edited:

Jurtoday

Aug 9, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to review the OPs. Even when it is required - that step of creating a folder to force the permissions prompt should only be needed once. There has been a recent report of repeated permissions prompts but I'm not sure if that was on a Chromebook. In any event; more details about the device and a log (particularly the log) would help determine what's going on. You could share that information in the main thread and possibly also find that similar report there for comparison.
Thanks for your quick reply. Enclosed you will find the log file. Hope this helps to solve the problem.

You mean this as the main thread? If necessary I will post it also there.

Attachments

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks for your quick reply. Enclosed you will find the log file. Hope this helps to solve the problem.

You mean this as the main thread? If necessary I will post it also there.
Yes that's the main thread. This Thread is the FAQ. There's certainly no restriction regarding discussion of development here but if you've got an actual issue it's best to report in the main thread where the developer and knowledgeable users may see it.

BTW, I took a look at the log and did not see any obvious errors, although the volume names seemed a bit odd. That may mean nothing but this is why we give the logs to the developer.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I have just updted to the latest, and have noticed something I have not seen before. I am using a dark theme, so it probably needs to be updated to make it clearer (currently its black on dark grey). But, Is there a setting to turn it off? I am taking about the text just under the tabs. I think its the full path for the tab, and scrolls up with the contents, out of sight.
Screenshot_20210226-112810.png

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I have just updted to the latest, and have noticed something I have not seen before. I am using a dark theme, so it probably needs to be updated to make it clearer (currently its black on dark grey). But, Is there a setting to turn it off? I am taking about the text just under the tabs. I think its the full path for the tab, and scrolls up with the contents, out of sight.
View attachment 5233183
Either in change log or a recent post HP mentioned that would have to be reset in some cases (maybe it was moved or modified).

Settings > more settings > breadcrumb.

IQ334

Dec 4, 2016
I updated from v6.51.6 to latest v6.52.0 last night. I notice all folders in ExtSDcard shows "open from" section on Samsung default file-picker. First screenshot shows hidden folders shows on file-picker. And when I disable MiXplorer, folders doesn't show in file-picker. (2nd screenshot)
It's really annoying shows all folders in file-picker because I couldn't select another app(gallery, Gdrive etc) easily. Could you tell me how to fix this? Sorry for my poor English.
Screenshot_20210226-113435_Files.jpg
Screenshot_20210226-113658_Files.jpg

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I updated from v6.51.6 to latest v6.52.0 last night. I notice all folders in ExtSDcard shows "open from" section on Samsung default file-picker. First screenshot shows hidden folders shows on file-picker. And when I disable MiXplorer, folders doesn't show in file-picker. (2nd screenshot)
It's really annoying shows all folders in file-picker because I couldn't select another app(gallery, Gdrive etc) easily. Could you tell me how to fix this? Sorry for my poor English.View attachment 5233249View attachment 5233253
If you've not already done so you should report it in the main thread with details and a log if possible.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...released-fully-featured-file-manager.1523691/

Last edited:
Reactions: pocketrule

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I installed the beta version but I don't get updates anymore. And there is no option to manually check for updates. Do I have to download them manually?
I'm not sure if something changed regarding the updating of beta but if you want the smoothest update path and to always be able to do it from within the app then I would suggest using the stable version.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
(Mod Edit: Quote removed since post removed)

LOL, well I might also deduct half a credit for visting but not reading the FAQ, but in this case there may have been a related settings change (moved or renamed), and the Bookmarks section of the OP may not mention the relevant setting.

Hello,

I'm unable to tap under the bookmarks section and reorder them, how can I reorder the bookmarks that I have on the Bookmarks?

Thanks in advance
Enable setting: Open bookmarks drawer > menu (hamburger) > options > Reorder by icon (enable)

Reorder: Open bookmarks drawer > manually tap-drag a bookmark by icon up or down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baelisto

Feb 20, 2019

LOL, well I might also deduct half a credit for visting but not reading the FAQ, but in this case there may have been a related settings change (moved or renamed), and the Bookmarks section of the OP may not mention the relevant setting.

Enable setting: Open bookmarks drawer > menu (hamburger) > options > Reorder by icon (enable)

Reorder: Open bookmarks drawer > manually tap-drag a bookmark by icon up or down.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I've read the FAQ and only mentioned tap and.move but I was unable to reorder them. The Reorder by icon was enabled and I'm still unable to drag the icons ,☹ I'm using the playstore version of the app.
Is there any other option I could enable?

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone