MiXplorer: Q&A and FAQ (User Manual)

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
[removed extra material casue by a quote tag that I forgot to delete].

Thanks! I've read the FAQ and only mentioned tap and.move but I was unable to reorder them. The Reorder by icon was enabled and I'm still unable to drag the icons ,☹ I'm using the playstore version of the app.
Is there any other option I could enable?
It says " To rearrange bookmarks: Open the Drawer, then tap and drag a bookmark by it’s icon up or down."

To clarify tap and drag: Tap icon only (seriously, no part of the label) and hold it then drag up or down.

If that isn't working it might be time to review some basic stuff like make sure we are talking about the actual bookmark drawer, a screenshot might be helpful in that regard, and if that lines up then make sure there are no other apps competing for functionality at the edge of the screen (but that's unlikely anyhow) and log it with details about the device.

[EDIT] If nothing else works it might be worth testing a clean(ed) install:
Export settings > clear app data or uninstall/reinstall > test > restore settings.

Baelisto

Feb 20, 2019
It says " To rearrange bookmarks: Open the Drawer, then tap and drag a bookmark by it’s icon up or down."

To clarify tap and drag: Tap icon only (seriously, no part of the label) and hold it then drag up or down.

If that isn't working it might be time to review some basic stuff like make sure we are talking about the actual bookmark drawer, a screenshot might be helpful in that regard, and if that lines up then make sure there are no other apps competing for functionality at the edge of the screen (but that's unlikely anyhow) and log it with details about the device.
@IronTechmonkey thanks so much for the clarification, I wasn't pressing on the icon, I was able to rearrange the bookmarks. Need to read the FAQ more in detail.

I have another question regarding uploading/copying files to a cloud account , is there a way to configure the number of files to be uploaded nat the same time? Instead of uploading 1 by 1.

Reactions: pocketrule

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
@IronTechmonkey thanks so much for the clarification, I wasn't pressing on the icon, I was able to rearrange the bookmarks. Need to read the FAQ more in detail.
Oh, I was not referring to you at that point but to a bit of editing I could do to make it clearer in the FAQ OP.

I have another question regarding uploading/copying files to a cloud account , is there a way to configure the number of files to be uploaded nat the same time? Instead of uploading 1 by 1.
I don't use cloud storage but rather SMB shared folders and FTP between devices on my own LAN, in which case the experience as if the files are all on the same device. EG the files from one device could be viewed in one MiXplorer tab and in another MiXplorer tab there could be files from a different device and I copy or move files between the two devices all from a 3rd device.

Cloud storage will have some restrictions on that flexibility but depending on which service and how the cloud account is configured you may be able to work from one tab to another with multiple files or folders somewhat as described above. I just dont know. It might be best to configure a cloud account and see how it goes then ask specific questions which people who have expereince with that service might be able to answer.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I did a search for "content" and "provider", but these terms hit a lot of posts. I read what was in the first page of the search (ie the first few lines of each post) and didnt notice what I was looking for.

I noticed in the main thread @HootanParsa mention that MiX provides a content provider (i.e. something along the lines of query content://com.theappinquestion.data/path but for MiX, which I dont have handy)

...snip...
v6.52.0_B21022510
• Many improvements, optimizations and fixes.
• Added 'Folder' type in Search dialog.

• Changed Content provider address. You need to update your shortcuts like those saved in home screen.
• If the Breadcrumb bar is enabled by default and you don't want it, you can disable it from the Settings > More settings.
...snip...
Is there any explanation/documentation on how to use the content provider? i.e. from a shell/adb command line, not the UI.

I stumbled across one example in the main thread, but I lost it right now, and it was simply a single explicit example.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I did a search for "content" and "provider", but these terms hit a lot of posts. I read what was in the first page of the search (ie the first few lines of each post) and didnt notice what I was looking for.

I noticed in the main thread @HootanParsa mention that MiX provides a content provider (i.e. something along the lines of query content://com.theappinquestion.data/path but for MiX, which I dont have handy)

Is there any explanation/documentation on how to use the content provider? i.e. from a shell/adb command line, not the UI.

I stumbled across one example in the main thread, but I lost it right now, and it was simply a single explicit example.
There is a post by HP in the last 5 or 10 pages of the main thread where this is explained a bit more than in the changelog in response to a user question.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
So I confirm a problem someone else had with the updates, and which I had solved for myself. You react and tell me it's best to stay on the stable updates path, which apparently I already was on. That confused me, made me think my way wasn't the only way or not the best way, so I ask about it. And then you point me to the FAQ accompanied by a smiley. We're really going in circles this way.

Oh and by the way, I had read the FAQ. It says the best way to download is the main post, where the latest .3 version wasn't present. It also mentions APKmirror and the Play Store. It doesn't say gdrive prominently anywhere.
Please, no need to be defensive:

- As to the initial installation, as described in the FAQ: the main thread is the best place to get it. It just so happened that when you went there there was an upgrade in progress and all versions were being deleted as new ones were being added.

- As to the upgrade path (not initial installation) the method described in the FAQ is the recommended method. It just happens to have had a problem recently reported by other users. I did not know if you knew about those other user reports so I referred you to them. That was not a criticism. That was help for you and the other people having the same problem.

In both of the above cases accurate information about the recommended process was available but in a rare confluence of circumstances the update path had issues on your device at the same time that material was being changed in the OP. That means we wait for the material in the OP to be updated or submit a bug report about the update issue, but it does not mean that the documentation was incorrect.

As to the smiley: That was actually a winky which might be considered worse than a smiley but in this case I stand corrected. Thanks to your feedback I see that the part about the add-ons being available at different places (gdrive/playstore) is missing from the FAQ OP (it is lost in another post somewhere) so I will add it to the OP. This leads us to the oops and zany emojis: :oops:🤪. Thanks for the feedback about the FAQ.

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I was wondering if you could share the task that you created. If you have already shared it, I apologize for asking again - I did search the thread, but didn't see it.

It would be very helpful and appreciated if you could share the task.

Thank you in advance.
I replied in the FAQ because this does not directly inform MiX development (even though it is a workaround to the effects of a recent change) but with no implied criticism. Tasker is a thing I might go on about.

I think that the task in question would be modifying the contents of other tasks within Tasker or their XML files which means parts of it might be specific to that particular Tasker installation. The key part seems to be the modification of the XML tag. That being said, being able to see how someone automated the process would certainly be helpful even if the objects other people apply it to would be different.

@hyborian, I would also be interested in knowing how you applied the task and some of the syntax used, if not the whole task which you might not want to share for privacy reasons.

Last edited:

mac_1013

Mar 30, 2018
Hi guys!

Is it possible to always open the .lnk file in a new tab?
I would like to use it in the shortcut file (.lnk) in Mixplorer's home (/data/data/com.mixplorer/home/).

Or is it possible to protect the specified tab?

Thank you as always!

4umexdeeay

Feb 28, 2014
San Francisco
...Do make sure to first back up MiXplorer settings, like so: Settings - More Settings - Export (at bottom of list). This will backup settings, bookmarks and tab arrangements to a file. If for some reason you have to clean install the new version you can easily import the settings by tapping on the file from within MiXplorer then selecting import.
Hi there 👋

Just so it's crystal clear for me: both the .mic file resulting from Settings/More Settings/Export, and the .mic file resulting from Settings/Skins/Export are everything that's required to restore MixPlorer, as currently configured, following a phone reformat?

Reactions: J.Michael

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Hi there 👋

Just so it's crystal clear for me: both the .mic file resulting from Settings/More Settings/Export, and the .mic file resulting from Settings/Skins/Export are everything that's required to restore MixPlorer, as currently configured, following a phone reformat?
IIRC the one in settings > more settings also includes skins - so that one has everything, but ... when I back up the main setting I also create backups for skins and bookmarks. Those backups can be handy later if I do something like mess up some bookmarks but want to retainer other settings made to the app- then I just would import The Bookmark backup.

Last edited:

4umexdeeay

Feb 28, 2014
San Francisco
IIRC the one in settings > more settings also includes skins - so that one has everything, but ... when I back up the main setting I also create backups for skins and bookmarks. Those backups can be handy later if I do something like mess up some bookmarks but want to retainer other settings made to the app- then I just would import The Bookmark backup.
Thank you kindly 👍

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
There is a post by HP in the last 5 or 10 pages of the main thread where this is explained a bit more than in the changelog in response to a user question.
I read pages 1762 through to 1767. Content providers are mentioned but not really "documented", but also more in relation to changed and their effects on Tasker.

However, I recently noticed that the file properties actually has the information that I was basically looking for. i.e. the Content URI. I was expecting the logic on how to derive the URI, but having it in plain sight is better.

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I read pages 1762 through to 1767. Content providers are mentioned but not really "documented", but also more in relation to changed and their effects on Tasker.

However, I recently noticed that the file properties actually has the information that I was basically looking for. i.e. the Content URI. I was expecting the logic on how to derive the URI, but having it in plain sight is better.

There are a couple of references floating around which I hope to have bookmarked. Then there's the matter of figuring out which larger topic this bit wood fit into. Thanks for the additional details.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone