MiXplorer: Q&A and FAQ (User Manual)

Search This thread

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
I have no idea, and never really use bookmarks. However, the first place I would look is in the media db database. It basically stores a log of every file on your device. Each file is flagged with date_added and a date_modified. Its just a stab in the dark, but a guess as good as any.
But I have about 8,000 FLAC files in that music directory ( with a few subdirectories ) those 200 belong to. All have been there untouched since copying the directory at once when getting this one device where I checked, and accessed them only by mpv from terminal. Why those specific 200 ? And why no media files from anywhere else ? Or any other files, for that matter. At any rate, it is not tracking any actual recent files.

Edit : For the record, none of these default bookmarks seem to work. "All files" shows about 400 files. There are tens of thousands. "Video" shows zero files -- there are plenty. I'm guessing this is using Android's entirely broken mediastore.

Edit 2 : Yep. Entirely broken. Did a bunch of file operations with MiX, creating, copying, moving. The same fixed 200 FLAC files show on "Recents", no changes.

Uninstalled, ran SD Maid to clean remnants, and after re-install there were 2555 items in Recent.

I don't care enough to look in this further.

Edit 3 : YES, here we go; deleting /data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/ resets "Recents" to show nothing. ( Apparently Android media store thinks I have 400 files in all, 200 of which are FLAC, and nothing else has changed in the last 6 months in this device. Right. )

Last edited:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
  • Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney
    But I have about 8,000 FLAC files in that music directory ( with a few subdirectories ) those 200 belong to. All have been there untouched since copying the directory at once when getting this one device where I checked, and accessed them only by mpv from terminal. Why those specific 200 ? And why no media files from anywhere else ? Or any other files, for that matter. At any rate, it is not tracking any actual recent files.

Edit : For the record, none of these default bookmarks seem to work. "All files" shows about 400 files. There are tens of thousands. "Video" shows zero files -- there are plenty. I'm guessing this is using Android's entirely broken mediastore.

Edit 2 : Yep. Entirely broken. Did a bunch of file operations with MiX, creating, copying, moving. The same fixed 200 FLAC files show on "Recents", no changes.

Edit 3 : YES, here we go; deleting /data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/ resets "Recents" to show nothing. ( Apparently Android media store thinks I have 400 files in all, 200 of which are FLAC, and nothing else has changed in the last 6 months in this device. Right. )
    To be certain, I am not saying it is what I suggested it may be, however, to really check, you would need to know/check.

The media db is up to date. But really we are looking for a corelation between the two sources.
    The fitering of what files are shown, matches to what you are filtering the dB on. There would no way be a case that it will return all files unfiltered. The suspicious thing is that it does not change, which is similar if the media db does not recognise that the file has changed; it wont change the media db. NB: the external and interenal media db's are stored separately.

Even if its not the media db, Android stores a LOT of info in sqlite dB's, so a scan of your data may turn up a dB that does store what you are looking for. Media dB simply seems like an obvious first place to look, since it records almost all files on your device.

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
    Feb 12, 2013
    A reminder from our venerable host and devoloper about bug reporting and logs.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...y-featured-file-manager.1523691/post-85021835

The opening paragraph of the bug reporting and troubleshooting post now includes specific suggestion to report issues from beta version.

"Bug reports should come from the newest beta version of the app. If you notice a bug in the newest release version then check the newest beta. If it also occurs in the beta then log it from there."

Also, those who would like help with the process of logging and bug reporting should feel free to ask for help about it in this thread. That way the aspects of bug reporting (the procedure) can be sorted out here and then the informative results can be provided in the development thread.

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
    Feb 12, 2013
    @IronTechmonkey Under Send log -> Send to..., does one of those options let me copy the log to a location of my choosing?

If it's in the FAQ, I'm just not seeing it.

It's not specifically documented because the menus seem self-explanatory but maybe that's a matter of perception or not the same in all cases.

Menu > send log > "share" or "open with" (a text editor) > should allow you to save log to any location you like.

Last edited:

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
    It's not specifically documented because the menus seem self-explanatory but maybe that's a matter of perception or not the same in all cases.

Menu > send log > "share" or "open with" (a text editor) > should allow you to save log to any location you like.
    A new log is created each time you open MiXplorer.
    I don't know why I missed it the first three times, but "Share" and "Open with" have a "Copy to" option.

But Mixplorer does not seem to start a new log file when I "Exit" and re-run.
    After "Exit", App info still showed a "Force stop" option. I did that and cleared Storage -> cache and *then* I got a new log file when I ran Mixplorer.

May 17, 2021
    Can you view the file in a terminal?
    What are the permissions?

I installed MiXplorer APK 29 this morning from the download attachment. My device is not rooted and running on Android 8.0. The WhatsApp key file must be located at data/data/com. whatsapp/files/key but I can't find it here, all I find at this location is Cache folder. When I click on Open in Terminal, I get message, "Not found". I am not able to locate
    data/data/com. whatsapp/ in Root. are there any additional settings that I am required to do.

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
    I can't view WhatsApp key file in anormal Samsung file manager without rooting.

I installed MiXplorer APK 29 this morning from the download attachment. My device is not rooted and running on Android 8.0. The WhatsApp key file must be located at data/data/com. whatsapp/files/key but I can't find it here, all I find at this location is Cache folder. When I click on Open in Terminal, I get message, "Not found". I am not able to locate
    data/data/com. whatsapp/ in Root. are there any additional settings that I am required to do.
    I wouldn't expect you to be able to view anything in a file manager that you cannot view in a terminal.

Reactions: IronTechmonkey
    May 17, 2021
    I wouldn't expect you to be able to view anything in a file manager that you cannot view in a terminal.
    Okay. I believe when you say Terminal you mean the android device having WhatsApp Key file. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I was trying this after reading this article on Quora where one of the answers mentioned it is possible with MiXplorer app to view the decryption file without rooting. Please check the article blow

How-do-I-access-root-without-rooting-the-phone-Android

Reactions: J.Michael

notstpaul

May 2, 2016
    Redmi Note 9 Pro
    Are you 100% sure you are looking in the correct location?

May 17, 2021
    Are you 100% sure you are looking in the correct location?
    I have checked in the locations, internal storage, SD Card, and Root.

Internal storage -

I was expecting files folder below but it is missing and instead there is cache folder

Screenshot_20210518-094145_MiXplorer.jpg

SD Card -

I was expecting files folder below but it is missing and instead there is cache folder

Screenshot_20210518-093755_MiXplorer.jpg

Root -

I was expecting com. whatsapp folder below but it is missing and instead it has com.mixplorer

Screenshot_20210518-094210_MiXplorer.jpg

Screenshot_20210518-094414_MiXplorer.jpg

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
    Okay. I believe when you say Terminal you mean the android device having WhatsApp Key file. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I was trying this after reading this article on Quora where one of the answers mentioned it is possible with MiXplorer app to view the decryption file without rooting. Please check the article blow

How-do-I-access-root-without-rooting-the-phone-Android
    When I said Terminal, I meant Terminal Emulator. I think of it as "Command Prompt Window". I thought that was what you meant when you said you tried to "open in terminal" -- that Mixplorer command would open a terminal emulator, trying to set the working directory to the directory you were viewing in Mixplorer when you issued the command.

I read some of the article you linked. Some people say yes, some say no. It's too painful for me to restore Magisk, so I'm not willing to test it, but I'm going with "no". /data and /data/data on my tablet give world (other) just execute privilege, so only system can "browse". Most app directories under /data/data don't give world any privilege; a few give world execute, but that wouldn't be enough to enable Mixplorer to display the contents of a directory.

That Quora question was about looking at the files in the root directory. You can see the names of most of them. You can even read the contents of some. But you can't browse the filesystem without root privilege.

Where did you get the idea that the Whatsapp keystore file would be accessible without root? What are you hoping to do with it?

zax880

Mar 11, 2012
    I have a question. Is there an option to automate copy files but without overwrite? I want to automate backup my photos but there is no need to overwrite all files, only copy a new ones.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
    Feb 12, 2013
    I have a question. Is there an option to automate copy files but without overwrite? I want to automate backup my photos but there is no need to overwrite all files, only copy a new ones.

There might be a way to do that with the autotask feature and the appropriate regex syntax. This post contains a collection of references and links to various batch renaming and other commands.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/mixplorer-q-a-and-faq-user-manual.3308582/post-71218953

Maybe something there could be useful to you. If not you could try searching this thread and the main thread for regex AND rename, and or asking in the main thread.

zax880

Mar 11, 2012
    Thanks for your reply, but I have no idea where I can use it. There's only title, source, destination, type of operation (e.g. copy) and that's it.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
    Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks for your reply, but I have no idea where I can use it. There's only title, source, destination, type of operation (e.g. copy) and that's it.

Menu > Settings > Auto Tasks > New Task

If you play with this I would suggest testing it on expendable files until you sort out the parameters and routine.

Reactions: rsngfrce

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      ...snip....

@IronTechmonkey thank you for your reply.
      Seeing this screenshots can we get any tip from where they come?
      Also take look to the first ss, when I select them and go to the 3-dots menu in the top right, it only shows to Unhide them, but I want to Hide these folders, weird right? Thanks!
      You can also check the contents of the folder in the hope there is a hint of which app created them

Also, please use thumbnails when inserting large images. Full screenshots make yours and others posts very hard to read. In this case I had the issue of deleting your images to respond. Usually, I dont bother to respond in that case. ie you may possibly miss out on a response, because you have made it harder to try to help you.
      @maybeme2 @osm0sis' busybox' "cp" has a "-u" option that copies "only newer files".
      View attachment 5340459

Hi.
      I did a lot of research and I didn't find any answer for this. I have the Playstore version: 6.56.5-Silver.
      The doubt is: there is a way to hide this first folder that keep showing up time to time with a dot in the beginning of it's name (.config / .face / etc etc)??
      Everytime they show up, I delete them, Am I doing a mistake?

Thanks in advance.

A proceeding dot In the first part of a file name is a standard Linux / Android way of indicating hidden files. If directories like that are being recreated after you delete them then some app must be doing that. I would recommend trying to find out what apps those directories are associated with before deleting them. If you just want to hide them in mixplorer then you can use the hide hidden option in mix menu.
      View attachment 5340479View attachment 5340481View attachment 5340483

@IronTechmonkey thank you for your reply.
      Seeing this screenshots can we get any tip from where they come?
      Also take look to the first ss, when I select them and go to the 3-dots menu in the top right, it only shows to Unhide them, but I want to Hide these folders, weird right? Thanks!
      If you aren't used to seeing such folders, I can understand your concern, though for the most part there should be nothing to be concerned about. As has been mentioned, folders or files with a "." in front are considered hidden and wouldn't be visible unless you are using an app that allows seeing them (it is an option in many apps that give you access to files.) If you don't want to see these hidden files, go to VIEW > OPTIONS > and uncheck the first two boxes regarding hidden files.

I feel it is more useful to display the hidden files, since they are there anyway. However, the reason the app that created them made them hidden is because there is no reason you should need to access them. They may or may not be needed, but should cause no issue unless they are taking up too much space. Apps will also create folders that are not hidden and it is sometimes difficult to figure out what app created those folders as well.

If you want to figure out what app created a folder, I would suggest opening the folder and seeing if you can get any clues from what is inside. However, the simplest way to determine the owner of a folder is to use the app SD Maid (pro version very worthwile). In the SD Maid explorer it will show you the owner of some, but not all, folders (depending on whether or not a user has let the dev know the owner of the folder based on their own knowledge). SD Maid is excellent for cleaning unneeded folders and files from your phone and can keep track if apps you uninstall leave undesirable or desirable remnants (they could be either).

Screenshot_20210617-162054_SD Maid.png
      The icons on the right side are the apps that created those folders (seen in the explorer in SD Maid). It shows ".face" was created by the Android Gallery app.

(Since I just Googled this myself, facial recognition files are stored in ".face" by the stock Android Gallery app. If you don't use the facial recognition function of the Gallery, you can delete this folder, but it will be created again. If you want to stop the folder from being created, I understand that you can create a file named ".face" in the same root directory and the ".face" folder won't be created, but then you have an unneeded file instead of a folder...best to leave it be).
      I have accessed a USB drive via the Type C USB port. I want to rename the drive but cannot see how to do this. I have searched the FAQ (as well as I can) but couldn't find the answer.

Any suggestions on how to rename an attached USB drive?

If you are talking about the drive as it appears in the Drawer (aka the Bookmarks/History drawer), you can edit a bookmark by tap-dragging it to the right then tapping the pencil icon. In general this goes for any bookmark although depending on the type there will be different editable parameters. The "Display name" should be editable for USB drive (and just about any bookmark type).
      MiXplorer: Q&A and FAQ (User Manual)

Table Of Contents:

i. INTRODUCTION, GETTING MIXPLORER, & INSTALLATION (This post)
      ii. UI, NAVIGATION, VIEW CONFIGURATION, BOOKMARKS, TABS
      iii. WORKING WITH FILES & FOLDERS (Copy Move methods, Trash option)
      iv. FTP, HTTP, TCP SERVERS
      v. MiX NUGGETS (Freestanding Topical Posts)
      vi. THEMES and SKINS
      vii. BUG REPORTING, TROUBLESHOOTING, AND FAQ WIP

Note: If you are just starting with MiXplorer then a general review of this FAQ might be helpful but if you seek information about a particular feature you can see if there is a "MiX Nugget" for it. MiX Nuggets are individual freestanding FAQ posts which describe a MiXplorer feature in enough detail for basic use without having to sift through whole FAQ. v. MiX NUGGETS (Freestanding Topical Posts).

--------------------------------------
      i) INTRODUCTION

As mentioned in an introduction from the main thread: "MiXplorer (Mix of Explorers) is a fast, smooth, beautiful, reliable and fully-featured file manager with a simple and intuitive user interface." created by XDA member and Recognized Developer @HootanParsa

I (IronTechmonkey) am a MiXplorer user and tester who volunteered (was volunteered) to create the FAQ but I am not the/a developer.

This FAQ attempts to describe configuration options, file & folder operations, UI options, and utilities, as well as to share workarounds for known issues or usage cases. Please feel free to provide, suggestions, corrections, or additions which could be linked to or added to the OPs. Thanks to all for your input already as much of this comes from your questions and answers in the main MiXplorer thread. Thanks to @HootanParsa for such a good file management utility.

Please continue to direct bug reporting and tech discussion to the primary MiXplorer thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523691.

SOME MIXPLORER HISTORY (MiXtory?)

This post by HootanParsa describes a how MiXplorer got started and some key events during its relationship with Google Play Store. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...y-featured-file-manager.1523691/post-77894840

Here is another note from HootanParsa regarding the history of MiXplorer on Playstore https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523691&p=73870110.

MiXplorer is closed source, and because the developer rarely if ever engages in discussions about closed vs. open source this is not discussed at length in the main MiX thread. This is not by any rule but rather by respect for the developer's decision. That being said, past discussions about closed vs. open source have been well informed and informative. Such discussions really do relate to software development, if not to the bugs to be fixed at any given moment, so please feel free to have such discussions here if/when they become too much for the main thread.

GETTING MIXPLORER

There are several ways to get MiXplorer and keep it updated, each of which may appeal to different usage cases. Also note: The Playstore-Silver and XDA-Stable versions of MiXplorer are essentially the same (sometimes with small variation) but the Playstore-Silver version includes some add-ons (describe below and at Playstore page) which would have to be installed separately and manually in the XDA version.

The Playstore_Silver version is also a way to contribute to MiXplorer development.

As to upgrade paths: The Play Store gives a one-shot installation and upgrade path for the app and its included add-ons. The XDA stable version allows users to decide specifically which add-ons are installed but offers a similarly simple upgrade path from with the app.

1) Main Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523691
      This is the best place to start for people who want the latest stable version, which is usually available in post 2. This is also where you can get the latest beta version. Note: it is always a good idea to check the main thread's OPs to see what version # is flagged as stable, as well as check the change-log.

2) XDA Labs. It might still be possible to use the XDA labs site in web browsers but no longer the XDA Labs app to download MiX. The MiXplorer version may not be exactly the same as latest "stable" in MiXplorer thread but this is a "stable" update track.

3) APK Mirror: This is a repository of more versions of MiX than most people would need, but some of these builds may be helpful in some situations and it provides access outside of Playstore.
      MiX at APK Mirror: https://www.apkmirror.com/uploads/?q=pishrodevs.

4) APKMirror RSS Feeds: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/pishrodevs/mixplorer-hootanparsa/feed/
      [inactive?]http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/hootanparsa/feed/ The ApkMirror RSS feeds are considered by many to be a similarly "stable" and up to date as the main MiXplorer thread and XDA Labs but it offers less information about the development progression of recent updates.

5) Playstore (MiXplorer Silver). As announced by HootanParsa here https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78465999&postcount=27232; "MiX Silver a bundle of MiX with Archive and SMB2 addons and the latest language resources is uploaded in Play store as a paid app to support the development of MiXplorer. If you liked it and installed it and found a problem, please let me know. Thank you very much. "

Add-ons: MiXplorer Add-ons can be installed from within the app like this:
      Settings > Addons > and click add button > follow links to browse and download appropriate add-ons.

MiXplorer Add-ons are also available through the XDA Labs Android app (search for MiXplorer) or through the XDA Labs Store browser pages for the MiXplorer app and Developer Hootan Parsa
      https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.mixplorer
      https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/author/HootanParsa
      Note: these links may no longer work.

INSTALLATION:

After installing MiXplorer there are some things that must be done in order to give MiXplorer proper access to storage locations and root or SU access. It is a good idea to get these things out of the way as part of the installation (or update) of MiXplorer rather than on-the-fly as you need to perform file management tasks. Here is a brief walk-through of how to give MiXplorer it's requisite permissions. This is written for Android Nougat which has more of these prerequisites than earlier Android versions so please note that things may differ across different ROMs and SU/root methods:

Do this stuff first, immediately after installing MiXplorer but before configuring it and importing skins and or settings

- At first run of MiXplorer at prompt "Allow MiXplorer to access photos, media, and files on your device?" Select to Allow.
      - Make sure root is enabled in MiX setting > Navigate to Root "/" to force first time SU permissions request > Select " allow" and "remember".
      - Navigate to external SD and create a new folder. There should a prompt "Attention Please select Ext SD... to gain permissions". Note: In some situations you may not have to create a folder to invoke this prompt.

BUG REPORTING

- Please report bugs in the primary MiXplorer thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523691. Bug reports should include. details about your device (Android version, ROM version, Root status, SU method, MiXplorer version) as well as a step by step description of how to reproduce the issue and a log taken while the issue was reproduced. There are more suggestions for testing, logging and reporting bugs in this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=65157367&postcount=7

1) Primary UI Components
      2) Navigation
      3) Drawer (Bookmarks/History)
      4) Tabs
      5) Views (file folder list)

6) "Home" page - described in MiX Nugget - Home Page - https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82781209&postcount=1168

1) Primary UI Components

The names of these UI objects may be referenced throughout documentation and are helpful to know when configuring themes (although they comprise only a small cross section of customize-able objects). Here are the names of a few primary UI components along with the specific name for their background colors in the theme configuration. To help them each item stand out a loud theme was used for the next few screen-shots, but the stock theme is used for the rest of the FAQ.

A) Status Bar: TINT_STATUS_BAR
      B ) Main Bar: BG_BAR_MAIN
      C) Tab Bar: BG_BAR_TAB
      D) Tab Indicator: TINT_TAB_INDICATOR
      E) Selected Tab: TINT_TAB_INDICATOR_SELECTED
      F) Page: BG_PAGE
      G) Tools bar: BG_BAR_TOOLS
      H) Navigation Bar: TINT_NAVIGATION_BAR

00020_Main_POP.png

I) Action Bar: BG_BAR_ACTION The Action Bar appears in place of the Main Bar when one or more items is selected.
      00040_Action_POP.png

J) Drawer: The Drawer can be opened by tapping Hamburger in Main Bar or swiping the Page from left edge toward right and takes it’s background color from BG_BAR_MAIN.
      00060_Drawer_POP.png

2) Navigation

To navigate through folders; Tap the name of he folder you want to enter, or select a bookmark or history item. Note: Tapping the icon to the left will select and highlight the folder.

To go to the previously accessed folder:; Press back button.

To go anywhere in the path you are browsing: Tap the Location button in Main bar then tapping the part of the folder tree you want to go to.
      00080_Location.png

To go to a manually entered location: Long press the Address in the Main bar then tap “Enter the path”. Note the other things that can be done from this menu: Copy path, Copy name, Enter the path, Create shortcut, Clear thumbnails cache, Properties. Note: The items in lists like this may change as MiXplorer evolves.
      00100_Location_Long_Press.png

To search for items: Tap the search icon, then you can start typing what you want to find.
      To filter the search: tap the leaning-hamburger, then select an option.
      To search recursively (into sub-folders): Tap the right-angle arrow icon, then choose options and search criteria.
      Regex: Regex is a fairly powerful method of using expressions (wild-cards and variables) to do searches, and can also be used for renaming files.
      Harvesting information in this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71218953&postcount=118

00110_Search_Filter.png

00120_Search_Recursive.png

To change the View level of details: Tap the View button, then select an option.
      To Add a file or folder: Tap the Add button
      To refresh the View: Tap the Refresh button (or tap the Tab title, or tap the Location button in Main bar then tap the location).
      To sort the view: Tap the Sort button (A-Z icon)
      00140_View.png

00160_Add.png

00180_Refresh.png

00200_Sort.png

To show or hide an item flagged as hidden: With no items selected, tap overflow menu then tap "Show Hidden" or "Don't show hidden".
      To exit MiXplorer: Long-press Back button.

------------------------------------
      3) Bookmarks/History (Drawer)

To open the Drawer for Bookmarks and History: Tap hamburger in Main Bar, or swipe from the left edge toward right.

To create a Bookmark to a location on the device: Navigate to the location, then long press the Location in the Main (top) Bar, then tap "Add to...", then tap "Bookmarks"; or Navigate to one level above the folder, then long press the folder in the file/folder list, then tap overflow menu, then tap "Add to...", then tap "Bookmarks". :

To create a Bookmark to a network share, server or cloud: Open Drawer, then tap hamburger, then tap Add storage, then select and configure the type of storage. There is a "Custom" option at the bottom of the list. Here are examples of 2 common types of network bookmarks:

1) To access shared folder (SMB share) on PC or other computer on same local network.:
      - Have a shared folder on a computer with file sharing and network discovery enabled.
      - Open MiXplorer on device connected to same network.
      - Bookmarks Drawer
      - Hamburger button
      - Add Storage
      - Custom
      - Search local
      - Enter credentials
      - If the search finds no shares there may be an issue with the sharing on the host or network between devices but you could try manual configuration.

2) To access an FTP Server on another device:.
      - Have an FTP server to connect to.
      - Bookmarks Drawer
      - Hamburger button
      - Add Storage
      - Custom
      - Enter server details (ftp://<ipaddress>:<port>, user-name password)

Notes about network and cloud bookmarks:

- When you create a connection to local network share or cloud via <Bookmark Drawer - hamburger - Add storage>, a Bookmark will automatically be created.

- Depending on the type of network location, when you browse the network location you may or may not be able to create bookmarks to locations within that tree as described above. This should work for SMB shares on a computer or folders on another Android device accessed via MiXplorer FTP and might work for others.

- When you save an off-device bookmark, some context sensitive additional configuration variables may or may not be added to the "Advance settings" field, which in some cases can be edited manually later.

To Delete or modify a bookmark: Open the Drawer, then swipe the bookmark name to the right, then select appropriate action.

To rearrange bookmarks: Open the Drawer, then tap and drag a bookmark by it’s icon up or down.

00260_Bookmark_Delete.png

00280_Bookmark_Reorder.png

To create a custom category (similar to custom bookmark for a search) in the bookmark list: Open 'All files' - Tap on the search button - Recursively - Enter file-name extensions eg; *.zip|*.rar|*.txt - Press GO - Long press the address bar - Add to bookmarks.

To reset the search-all-by=type folders (archive, apk,image, video, etc) if they are gray and don't work: If you are updating from an older version of MiXplorer you may have to click on bookmark menu and choose "reset default" (which should preserve your own bookmarks) to recreate the new versions of the search bookmarks, then you can delete the gray ones.

Bookmark functions via the Bookmarks Menu: Add storage Reset defaults; Remove all, Export. Note: To import bookmarks, open the exported .micfg file with MiXplorer and select import.
      00300_Bookmark_Menu.png

To switch between Bookmarks and History : Open Drawer then tap the Bookmarks or History label in top Bar.

To clear history: Open Drawer to History, then tap mini-hamburger.
      00320_History.png

4) Tabs

1st Tab is left-most. Last Tab is right-most. New tabs will open to the right of the active tab.

General Tab functions: These actions can be accessed via the tab menu and are context sensitive, based on Tab bar visibility and tab arrangement.
      With Tab Bar
      00340_Tab_Menu_General.png

Without tab bar
      00360_Tab_Menu_General_Hidden.png

Individual Tab functions: These functions can can be accessed by long pressing on a Tab when the Tab Bar is visible.
      00380_Tab_Menu_Individual.png

To refresh a Tab’s view: Swipe down, or tap on the name in the Tab Bar, or tap the location name in main bar then tap it again in the drop down.

To open a new tab:
      - Open Bookmarks/History
      - Long press on the item that you want to open in a new tab
      or
      - Select a folder in the main page
      - Tap the overflow menu in the action bar
      - Tap "Open in new tab",
      or;
      - Tap the Tab menu then tap "Add new tab"
      or;
      - When on last (right-most) tab, Swipe from right edge to left (depends on "Settings" - ""More Settings" - "Swiping in first and last...")

Save single tabs or a group of tabs (Note: "Save" may occasionally be referred to as "Pin")

To save an individual Tab be opened to a specific location at each app start
      - Have only one tab opened.
      - Navigate to desired location.
      - Long press on Tab Title then tap "Set as default".
      - Open the Tab drop-down menu, select, "Save tabs", Tap "Now" (leave "On Exit" un-selected).

To save a group of tabs (tab-set) to be opened at each app start:
      - Create the tabs, and open each to the location of your choice.
      - To set the default tab (to be active at app start) long press on Tab Title then tap "Set as default".
      - Open the Tab drop-down menu, select, "Save tabs", Tap "Now" (leave "On Exit" un-selected).
      Note: View detail level and sort order should be remembered per tab.

To have MiXplorer save the tab-set that is in place at each app close (to be opened at next app app start):
      - Open the Tab menu.
      - Select check box: "On Exit".

To reset tabs to whatever was last saved by 'Save tabs - Now" or by "Save tabs - On exit":
      - Open the Tab menu then tap Reset tabs. Each Tab's view level and sort order should be remembered and not be reset by this action.

5) Views (file folder list)

There are many ways to configure the file/folder list views using the "View" and "Sort" buttons which appear in the Tools bar at the bottom (in the default skin and configuration). Here are a few of the more notable functions:

- "View" button - "Recursive data": When "Recursive data" is enabled (and after a refresh of the view) MiXplorer will calculate and show the quantity of items and storage space uses in sub-folders.

- "View" button - "Reset defaults": When "Reset defaults" is enabled then pinch zoom settings can be reset to default for each drive independently by going to root of drive, then selecting a view mode (eg "Detailed"). To maintain the different zoom levels disable "Reset defaults".

- "Pin" an item to top of list: A folder or file can be "Pinned" so it stays at the top of the list view regardless of sort options. To pin/unpin an item: Select it then open menu then select pin/unpin. Similarly, apps in the "Open with" list can be pinned to the top of that list by long pressing the app then tapping "Pin"

- Create a custom thumbnail: To create a custom thumbnail for a folder (which would be used when "Auto folder preview" is enabled in main settings) put the image you want to use for the thumbnail in the folder and rename it to .preview.

- Gallery style view for search folders: For the search folders which show all of a certain file type (eg Audio, Document, Image, Video), there is a gallery style view which shows all images of the designated type on the device but grouped in folders by location similar to the way most default gallery apps work. To enable this mode: Tap the "Sort" button then enable "By parent". To show all items in one list without the folders, disable "By parent"

- App, User App, System App: When viewing contents of the "App" search bookmark, tapping on Location allows choice of App (all), User App, System App. To create a custom bookmark to any of those: Tap the Location in Main Bar, then select desired view (App, User App, or System App) then long press location and "Add to" bookmarks.

6) "Home" page

A full page panel containing locations with details, described in more detail here: MiX Nugget - Home Page - https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82781209&postcount=1168

----------------------------------------------
      LINKS TO FAQ SECTIONS
      i. INTRODUCTION, GETTING MIXPLORER, & INSTALLATION
      iii. WORKING WITH FILES & FOLDERS
      v. PLUG-INS & SETTINGS
      vi. THEMES and SKINS

Search, searching for items: Expanded description of search methods in this post. MiX Nugget - Searching for Files and Folders: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82781351&postcount=1170

Select a file or folder: Long press anywhere on the file, or tap on the icon at the left side.

Select multiple files and or folders: Select one file or folder as described above and then select additional items by tapping on the name of each item.

Select all files and folders in the current view: Tap the "Select all" button in the tools bar, or open overflow menu and tap Select all. Note: the Select all button and the Servers button can be swapped in the Tools Bar via Settings - More Settings.

Once you have selected any item(s) the Action Bar will appear (temporally replacing the Main Bar) and will show a counter of selected items with their size, and icons for some standard actions with an overflow menu for more actions. The downward pointing arrow now offers options to expand shift or invert the selection.
      00400_Selected.png

There are several ways to to Copy or Move items:

Task queue Select items, then choose an action (repeat process for multiple jobs), then navigate to destination, then tap Job Queue, then select queued task.
      00420_Task_Queue.png

- Individual pending tasks or all pending tasks can be cleared from the queue.

- Pending Copy tasks in the queue can be repeated to different destinations.

Drag & drop: Select some items then long press on that selection and drag. A hovering pop-up will appear indicating how many selected items are being dragged.When the the destination folder becomes highlighted, release the selection and respond to the then a “Drop files” prompt which offers a choice to copy or move the selected items.
      00460_Drag_Drop.png

Copy To and Move To: To copy/move files to a folder to be selected during the process; select items, open menu, tap ]Copy To or Move To, navigate to location, tap OK.

Some long file operations can be paused using the play/pause button in the task status window. Also, from there the task can be canceled or sent to background.
      00440_Task_Status.png

Delete options. There are several delete methods, the visibility of which may be context sensitive, and MiXplorer has a native "recycle/trash" feature which can be enabled in Settings - More Settings - Undo.

Normal: Deletes file “normally”. As is the case with file deletions (not Recycle or Trash) in other OS, the deletion is non-reversible but the raw data may persist until incidentally written over by other system activity.

Trash: Similar to Recycle or Trash bins on desktops. The locations (drives/root paths) where “Trash” functions may very across ROMs and devices. When "Undo" is enabled as described above the following should occur:

- Deleted items are placed in hidden folders named .recycle at the root of each drive. Don't delete those manually unless you are not using the "Undo" feature.

- In the main menu there is an item called "Undo" which shows a list of available undo items. Long press on an item in that list to see the specific files that can be restored. Short press to restore that item/group of items.

- Menu > Undo > "Remove all"; will delete all the .recycle folders and their contents from all drives (if they exist). Also nota bene: only do this if you are sure you wont need to restore anything). Any time you "Trash" something when "Undo" is enabled the .recycle folder for that drive will be recreated. If you've already disabled "Undo" in settings and still have leftover material in the .recycle folders, those folders can be deleted manually (requires "Show hidden")

- In some cases you may be able to recover items manually from the .recycle folders.

- If the trash cannot be emptied, try the following: Main Menu > Undo > Remove all, or Settings > More Settings > deselect Undo. As with manually deleting the contents of the trash/recycle folder, make sure you dont need anything from there before doing this.

Shredder: Destroys files before deleting them. Only available for certain locations. May take longer for larger selections. Deletion by this method is non-reversible and leaves minimal if any recoverable data on the drive.

Batch Delete: When you try to delete a folder as "Normal", it also takes time to clean up database, removing thumbnails, etc... . You can use "Batch Delete" to remove that folder as fast as possible.

[LINKS TO FAQ SECTIONS
      v. PLUG-INS & SETTINGS
      vi. THEMES and SKINS
      - vii. BUG REPORTING, TROUBLESHOOTING, AND FAQ WIP

Bug Reporting:
      Please report bugs in the primary MiXplorer thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523691.

Bug reports should come from the newest beta version of the app. If you notice a bug in the newest release version then check the newest beta. If it also occurs in the beta then log it from there.

Bug reports should include. details about your device (Android version, ROM version, Root status, SU method, MiXplorer version) as well as a step by step description of how to reproduce the issue and a log taken while the issue was reproduced.

MiXplorer's Built-in Logging:

Enable MiXplorer logging: Settings . More settings . Logging (enable)

MiXplorer has a native logging feature. If logging is enabled (as it is by default) then the most efficient and the recommended way to do it is the following:

- After crash or after experiencing issue,
      - Open MiXplorer
      - 3-dots menu
      - Send log.

If you have disabled logging in the past, or you if are diagnosing more complicated issues or if you will be reviewing the logs yourself before sending. Here is a manual method that some people use:

- Enable MiXplorer logging.
      - Close MiXplorer.
      - Open MiXplorer.
      - Reproduce the issue.
      - Close MiXplorer.
      - The logs should be in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.mixplorer/cache/log/ (The path may vary slightly depending on ROM).
      - Use alternative file manager (just for this ;)) to get most recent log in folder.
      - If using MiXplorer to get the log manually, then make sure to get the log for the previous MiXplorer session rather than the one for the current session.

Testing and Logging Notes:

- Reproduce and log issues in a new session of MiXplorer that was started after logging has been enabled. In other words: Enable logging, then close MiXplorer, then start MiXplorer to reproduce the issue and send the log. A new log is created each time you open MiXplorer. Note: - In some cases it is recommended to test the issue in a clean installation of MiXplorer (after uninstalling MiX then reinstalling it).

- The MiXplorer log directory will not appear until MiXplorer logging has been enabled at least once since last new installation of MiXplorer. Also, if MiXplorer is uninstalled the log folder will be deleted, so if you are getting logs manually during repeated tests remember to do so before next uninstall.

- Before sharing logs it is a good practice to review them for information that you don’t want to share, and to delete that information or replace it with an obvious label, eg <thing x deleted>. To each their own about what to delete, but reviewing logs with privacy in mind before sending is prudent.

- For logging more complex issues, or certain types of FCs where native app logging does not catch the error, a full system log (logcat) may be needed. The app "MatLog" (formerly "CatLog") from Play Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pluscubed.matlog&hl=en can be used to capture logcats on the device. If an issue is causing reboots then the log might have to be taken from a USB connection on a computer via ADB.

- When you share the log, also share the following:

1) Full details of the device including: Android version, ROM version and variant, Root status, SU status, busybox status.
      2) A detailed description about how to reproduce the error when logging so others may try to reproduce it.

If you have trouble accessing SD cards locally or through FTP you can try different paths. Note: The effectiveness of these paths may vary by ROM and nature of permissions.

/storage/sdcard0
      /storage/sdcard1
      /storage/emulated/0
      /mnt/shell/emulated/0
      /mnt/media_rw/sdcard1

Similarly if you are having trouble accessing USB drives you can look in

/storage/
      /mnt/media_rw/

Busybox (Toolbox, Toybox):

- Here is a very nice description from @jcmm11 about history and general role and functionality of Toolbox, Busybox and Toybox: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74883586&postcount=22622.
      - In some situations, specific versions of Busybox may be required to use MiXplorer for root operations.
      - From within MiXplorer, when you are in a system location there should be a "Busybox" option in the main menu. If you are having trouble accessing the location, tap that "Busybox" item.
      - Installing a version of Busybox from Playstore or other source may also work.
      - Harvesting new information about Busybox in this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=70713137&postcount=89

MiX Nuggets (This section is a work in progress)

- Tabs
      --- Single
      --- Group
      --- Now or at app open

- File Management
      -- Find Duplicate Files: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76395344&postcount=514

- Automated Intents (Tasker etc)
      --- COPY with Tasker, Automagic and...: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75389465&postcount=422
      --- Turning Servers ON/OFF with Tasker and... :https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75400602&postcount=424

- Bookmarks to Network Locations
      --- SMB share on other device.
      --- FTP server on other device.
      --- Cloud

- Servers
      --- FTP
      --- HTTP
      --- TCP: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75366970&postcount=421

- Autotag: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75366938&postcount=420
      + placeholder will fill in later

- - Settings
      - View, Sort,
      - Navigation
      - Search
      - Initial permissions
      - Export/import Settings
      - Custom search bookmark
      - Custom folder preview icon
      - Expanded description of "Button" menu configuration.
      - App backups
      - Archive management.
      - File/Folder details
      - "Allow Root" setting.
      - General Settings update.
      - Description of available plug-ins.
      - Alternate way to reset settings: Same as with with most apps - clear the cache and data.
      - Advanced search options and regex: Harvesting information in this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71218953&postcount=118
      - Themes: How to create, backup, save, and share themes.
      - MiXplorer Media Viewer usage description:
      - MiXplorer Editor usage description:
      - Description of each customize-able item in skins.

- -----------------------------------------------
      LINKS TO FAQ SECTIONS
      v. PLUG-INS & SETTINGS
      vi. THEMES and SKINS

There are a variety of ways MiXplorer can be used to access files on other devices or make files available to other devices. This post describes the 3 types of servers MiXplorer can use to make files available to other devices. FTP, HTTP & TCP Servers

Each MiXplorer server type offers different functionality and each can be run a few different ways from buttons and menus within the MiXplorer UI or directly from the Android UI (widgets &quick-tiles). Note: A MiX server will use a different root location (folder seen as root by client) depending which settings are in place, and where the server was run from, and which folder/tab is active. See "Default path" section below for more detail.

Server Settings In Common for MiXplorer FTP, HTTP and TCP servers. :

- Default path: This is the directory which incoming clients will see as the root of the directory tree.

-- When server is run from: Toolbar's Server button (hidden by default, enable in Settings > buttons); then root for incoming clients will be the location of the presently active tab in MiXplorer.
      -- When server is run from: 3-Dot Menu > Servers; then root for incoming clients will be the root of currently active partition (drive). Not the presently viewed location but rather the root of the partition in which the presently viewed location resides).

-- When server is run from: Widget or Quick-tiles; then root for incoming clients will be the location designated in the server settings panel.

- Username: Self explanatory. The more unique the more secure.
      - Password: Self explanatory. The more unique the more secure.
      - Port: Assign a port manually or leave blank to use default port for given server type. Default for FTP is 2121. Default for HTTP is 8080. Default for HTTPS is 8181.
      - Secure (check-box): For HTTP and TCP servers, use secure protocol. For FTP use FTPS.
      - An internet connection is not required but the devices must be on same LAN, wifi network, or hotspot.
      - To stop server: "Servers" then "Stop FTP/HTTP/TCP Server" or expand notification then Stop FTP/HTTP/TCP server, or tap widget.
      - To Reset all servers (make sure you know your settings and have them backed up before doing this): Settings > More Settings > Reset Servers

------
      FTP Server:
      This is the most fully featured of the servers (not counting SMB shares). FTP Clients on other networked devices, including Android devices running MiXplorer can manage files with the full range of functions expected for FTP access. This might also work through a native file viewing window on OS that support it. To configure and access a MiXplorer FTP server:

- On 1st device configure a MiXplorer FTP server. You can check the notification to verify IP Address and Port #.
      - On 2nd device configure your FTP client to access the MiXplorer FTP server with aforementioned IP address and Port#.
      - If using MiXplorer on 2nd device then, in MiXplorer create a bookmark to access the FTP server that is running on the 1st device. That bookmark is effectively an FTP client.
      - On 2nd device open your FTP client or your MiXplorer FTP bookmark.

Additional information about FTP here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71415130&postcount=152

------
      HTTP Server: Allows other devices on the same network to access files though web browsers. This eliminates the need for 3rd party “clients” but the interface is minimal, like a web page, navigating and downloading via hyperlinks.This might also work through a native file viewing window on OS that support it.

- On 1st device configure MiX HTTP server.
      - On 2nd device use a web browser to access the address of the HTTP server that is running on the 1st device.
      - In browser on 2nd device download files (and upload?).

------
      TCP Server:
      Allows "Send to" directly from one device running MiXplorer to the another device running the MiXplorer TCP server on the same local network, with MiXplorer TCP server configured with same parameters on both devices.

- Both devices connected to same Wifi network (can be done with hotspot).
      - MiXplorer TCP server configured with same parameters on both devices.
      - On destination device: Open tab to destination directory then run MiXplorer TCP server.
      - On source device: Select file(s) > 3 button menu > Send to ... > Refresh > select destination device.
      - The files should be copied to the directory that is opened on destination device.
      - You should see some simple toasts at some points into the process on both devices.

LINKS TO FAQ SECTIONS
      v. PLUG-INS & SETTINGS
      vi. THEMES and SKINS