MK903V Firmware Imaging using AndroidTool v2.3

Search This thread

RFZ

Jan 7, 2009
Hi,
I do have some MK903V TV Sticks that came with Android 4.4.2 and some with Android 7.1.
I thought I could potentially just clone the complete flash from one device to another using AndroidTool v2.3, but that failed.
I used "ExportImage" from "Advanced Function" to export the flash from 0 to 0x00E90000. I then selected the exported file and flashed it to Address 0x00000000 and name "system" using the "Download Image" tab.
The AndroidTool said it uploaded the file and verified okay. But after that I re-exported few blocks from 0x0 and found that the flash was not overwritten. The device did not boot (no HDMI signal).
I re-exported the system partition and found that it wrote the full backup into the system partition instead.
So basically the Tool used the "name" column and completely ignored the "address" column?
Is there a way to just write the complete flash using AndroidTool v2.3 ignoring partitions? I basically just want to mirror a device to another.

RFZ

Jan 7, 2009
Okay, so I guess I understood that "LOADER" is actually aware of all partitions on the device and also their use/format. The "Address" column seems to be ignored completely. I guess this is only relevant for "MASK ROM" mode devices?
I found out by trying to write to "parameter" partition, hoping it would write to 0x00. But instead it wrote into the first partition at 0x08 and properly wrote the header in front of it with the size of the written data.

So, I now know how to properly extract the "parameter" image from another device and I assume all other partitions can be simply dumped and written without any magic happening to them? But I need to write them partition by partition? 🤔

RFZ

Jan 7, 2009
For my understanding... The LOADER mode / the green "Loader" row in AndroidTool is something that is not on the flash, right? But it obviously reads the flash and its partitions.
If I'm right, I cannot brick the device as long as I don't flash a different "Loader" (which I don't have anyways as I cannot extract it from another device).
But: When I mess up the "parameter", will LOADER mode still boot fine and allow me to rewrite "parameter"?

Is "Loader" always booting "uboot" next, which then decides on booting into "kernel" or "recovery" if "R" is pressed?

RFZ

Jan 7, 2009
Okay, I have so many questions and I can't really find any documentation :/
So at least I'll continue my self conversation here.

The bootloader of the RK3288 - and I'm still not sure what exactly it is - has two modes, LOADER and MASKROM.

I think in LOADER mode it is aware of partitions and makes sure users can only flash data to specific partitions. However, you can also update the partitions (and other stuff?) by writing to "parameter", which is part of the first few blocks of the flash.

In MASKROM mode it is not aware of any contents of the flash and you can basically write over the complete flash. In this mode the AndroidTool will actually use the Address column to flash data (I think).

I'm not exactly sure what triggers MASKROM mode but I guess the bootloader boots MASKROM mode if it cannot find "valid" data on the flash.
For example
erases the Flash and IDB, which forces the device from LOADER into MASKROM mode.
I also found lots of instructions that tell you to short two pins on the NAND Flash chip of the device to trigger MASKROM mode. None of these instructions tell you why you do it and how it works, but I guess it just disables the Flash so the bootloader reads back all zeroes or anything like that?

I also cannot find any information what IDB is, what it stands for and where it is stored, but it seems to play an important role here :/

There are multiple Versions of the "bootloader". e.g. https://github.com/neo-technologies/rockchip-bootloader / https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rk-bl-rockchip-bootloader-collection.3739510/ lists RK3288Loader_uboot_Apr182014_155036.bin, RK3288Loader_uboot_Apr212014_134842.bin, RK3288Loader_uboot_V2.17.02.bin, RK3288Loader(L)_V2.17.bin, RK32xxLoader(L)_uboot_V2.15_replace_ddr.bin

They obviously do some things differently, but I'm not sure if this is relevant for "normal" operation of the device or just if you need to do special things. e.g.
says that RK3288Loader_uboot_V2.17.02.bin is required to boot from SD card. So earlier versions can't do that?
Can I flash these Loaders to any RK3288 device (I guess?) or are they device specific? Can I downgrade? Can I flash them in LOADER and MASKROM mode? Many things I don't understand properly...

The filenames usually contain "uboot". I guess that's not because they include uboot, but because the bootloader starts U-Boot from the "uboot" partition on a regular boot?