• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

MMS Fix for Epics on Alternative Carriers With DIY Guide![ICS][CM9][AOKP][MIUI]

Search This thread

mucus_android

Jan 20, 2011
New York
MMS Fix for Epics on Alternative Carriers

Works for ICS only, will not work on earlier versions of android.

Installation instructions
Please locate your carrier and ROM from the list below.
Download the fix
Copy to your sd card
Flash from recovery - this can and should be flashed over an existing installation.

Thanks!
Don't forget to say thanks to the devs and testers.
Alias8818: This wonderful fix is brought to you by his tireless efforts.
mucus_android, brian117: Guinea Pigs

Downloads

Further preconfigured fixes will be added as they become available. If you do not see your fix listed, please read the guide below.
AOKP ROMs
Virgin Mobile - AOKP build 34 | mirror
MMSfix.zip only provided by Alias8818

How-To Guide
Guide on how to get MMS working an ALL carriers.

Step 1:
Install MMSfix
DL mmsfix.zip
Load onto SD card
Flash via recovery
Boot to system
Code:
     Important notes
     This will add several APN lines to your device, and the different APNs will become active as you change your build.prop
     This deletes the telephony.db, allowing the system to rebuild it based on the new APNs

Step 2:
Edit build.prop
Use a root file explorer (I use ES File Explorer)
Make sure to mount system as writable, and that the File Browser is capable of root access.
Navigate to /system/build.prop
Open it with any onboard text editor (I used ES's text editor)
There will be two lines you have to edit and two new lines you should add
Find the following lines, they should be right next to one another
Code:
     ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310120
     ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Sprint
Edit them to read
Code:
     ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=Your Carrier's Numeric Identifier* please see attached for list of numeric values
     ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Your Carrier's Name* please see attached list for list of names
Add the following two lines
Code:
     gsm.operator.alpha=Your Carrier's Name* please see attached list for list of names
     gsm.operator.numeric=Your Carrier's Numeric Identifier* please see attached for list of numeric values
Save the changes and reboot your phone.

Step 3:
Test mms
Make sure mms is working, if it is - You're done!
If mms is not working, there is most likely an error in the entries to the build.prop

Numeric and Alpha values

Boost
Code:
     ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=50502
     ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost MMS
     gsm.operator.alpha=Boost MMS
     gsm.operator.numeric=50502

Cricket
Code:
     ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=31016
     ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Cricket
     gsm.operator.alpha=Cricket
     gsm.operator.numeric=31016

Metro PCS
Code:
     ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310027
     gsm.operator.numeric=310027

Sprint (do you really need this?)
Code:
     gsm.operator.alpha=Sprint
     gsm.operator.numeric=310120

Verizon
Code:
     ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310004
     ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Verizon
     gsm.operator.alpha=Verizon
     gsm.operator.numeric=310004

Virgin Mobile US
Code:
     ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311490
     ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Virgin Mobile US
     gsm.operator.alpha=Virgin Mobile US
     gsm.operator.numeric=311490

Thank you for reading this guide.

Further reading
brooksyx's thread on MMS fix for virgin mobile.
He address the issue differently, and it did not completely work for me.
The issue is likely related to the APNs.
But please read his thread and check out the zip file he includes, he goes about the setup differently
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1491189

Pics!
Screenshot_2012-04-27-02-02-55.png

Screenshot_2012-04-27-03-11-29.png

Last edited:

antipasta

Sep 13, 2007
Does MMSfix.zip work for all roms, or is it ics-only? I don't mind editing my build.prop but i'm not clear on what the MMSfix zip does. I am running the lastest CM7 rc1 update1

mucus_android

Jan 20, 2011
New York
Does MMSfix.zip work for all roms, or is it ics-only? I don't mind editing my build.prop but i'm not clear on what the MMSfix zip does. I am running the lastest CM7 rc1 update1

Quote from OP regarding mmsfix
Important notes
This will add several APN lines to your device, and the different APNs will become active as you change your build.prop
This deletes the telephony.db, allowing the system to rebuild it based on the new APNs
This will not work on cm7

Last edited:
Reactions: pacoz

explosivequack

Feb 8, 2012
are you sure you entered your information correctly? and are you using stock mms.apk?

I'm pretty sure I entered it correctly and I'm using a themed mms.apk its the b34 one but I'll go back to stock one now see if that changes it

Edit: same thing although I sent a picture to my gf and she got part of it but it never actually said it sent. But receiving is more than I've ever got from any mms fix so thanks :)

1 more edit: redownloaded and installed and it works now :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mucus_android

mucus_android

Jan 20, 2011
New York
I'm pretty sure I entered it correctly and I'm using a themed mms.apk its the b34 one but I'll go back to stock one now see if that changes it

Edit: same thing although I sent a picture to my gf and she got part of it but it never actually said it sent. But receiving is more than I've ever got from any mms fix so thanks :)

I knew you could do it!

lokoz89

Jul 1, 2008
Chicago
Step 2:
Edit build.prop
Make sure to mount system as writable, and that the File Browser is capable of root access.
Code:
Edit them to read
Code:
     ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=Your Carrier's Numeric Identifier* please see attached for list of numeric values
     ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Your Carrier's Name* please see attached list for list of names
Code:
     gsm.operator.alpha=Your Carrier's Numeric Identifier* please see attached for list of numeric values
     gsm.operator.numeric=Your Carrier's Name* please see attached list for list of names

I think the OP made a mistake here. He put that the gms.operator.alpha= carrier's numeric identifier, but it's suppose to be the carrier's name and vice versa!

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
Glad this is working for other roms as well. My main focus was getting MMS working for CM9 on the OG epic and then the E4GT (my current phone) on virgin mobile. Since I first found the fix the correct mms cdmasmsdispatcher has been added to the both the CM9 and AOKP upstreams so the the only necessary changes are to the build.prop so that the correct apn values are used. The only other things needed to do is delete the telephony.db and the telephony.db-journal in data so that the correct apn settings are written on the next reboot.

mucus_android

Jan 20, 2011
New York
Glad this is working for other roms as well. My main focus was getting MMS working for CM9 on the OG epic and then the E4GT (my current phone) on virgin mobile. Since I first found the fix the correct mms cdmasmsdispatcher has been added to the both the CM9 and AOKP upstreams so the the only necessary changes are to the build.prop so that the correct apn values are used. The only other things needed to do is delete the telephony.db and the telephony.db-journal in data so that the correct apn settings are written on the next reboot.

You are absolutely right. Thanks for pointing that out!
I should mention though, the zip file itself takes care of that.
So what's happening is the mmsfix.zip is writing new apn settings and deleting the .db files.
If you check your apn settings after flashing the zip you'll notice it appears blank.
This is fixed after writing the the changes to the build.prop

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
You are absolutely right. Thanks for pointing that out!
I should mention though, the zip file itself takes care of that.
So what's happening is the mmsfix.zip is writing new apn settings and deleting the .db files.
If you check your apn settings after flashing the zip you'll notice it appears blank.
This is fixed after writing the the changes to the build.prop

That's what my flasherzip does as well except my flasherzip uses a special Linux script to get the job done. If you open the script you should see what I mean. I can guarantee that my fix works for cm9 on the epic and e4gt, and aokp for the e4gt. I assume it works for aokp on the og epic but I can't test that. As for the apns-conf.xml you shouldn't have to make any changes to it. The correct values are already in there, editing the build.prop to the correct values and delete the telephony.db will set the correct values to data after a reboot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Alias8818

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2011
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Specifically with my builds, up until now, I've only been including Sprint's APN.
I suppose he could specifically specify ROM's and the builds that would require it from AOKP... But the ease of making sure its in there, that step is required.

I do like the script that was implemented, warren had shown that to me.
It will honestly ease updates for the ROMs.

Just figured I'd chime in since I've been building AOKP for the OG Epic.

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
Specifically with my builds, up until now, I've only been including Sprint's APN.
I suppose he could specifically specify ROM's and the builds that would require it from AOKP... But the ease of making sure its in there, that step is required.

I do like the script that was implemented, warren had shown that to me.
It will honestly ease updates for the ROMs.

Just figured I'd chime in since I've been building AOKP for the OG Epic.

Okay. I know the apns-conf.xml file in CM9 and aokp for the epic touch work for virgin mobile. I can't comment on boost mobile or others but I did see those values in there as well. Maybe you could nab one of those files.

I have my own special apns-conf.xml file I use for virgin mobile but I alwas scrub down a rom and add my own tweaks in before I flash it to my phone.

Last edited:

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
Hello folks,

I followed the steps -- flashed the MMSfix.zip and rebooted; then updated the build.prop in /system/ with the required cricket information (since I'm on Cricket). It's not working.

Do I need to be using a different SMS/MMS application aside from the default Messaging one that is included with my install of Android? Will not download message sent from my sister about 4 days ago. Trying to send now, but doubting that will work. Do I need to actually update the APN's inside my phone to contain my login information, etc?

I am currently on CM9 Beta 2...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

webslasher

Jul 4, 2011
Malang
where can i get those build.prop values ? cause my carrier isn't listed

on the other hand, can i add my own carrier in the apns-conf.xml ?

my carrier is indonesian smart-telecom

Last edited:

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
Hello folks,

I followed the steps -- flashed the MMSfix.zip and rebooted; then updated the build.prop in /system/ with the required cricket information (since I'm on Cricket). It's not working.

Do I need to be using a different SMS/MMS application aside from the default Messaging one that is included with my install of Android? Will not download message sent from my sister about 4 days ago. Trying to send now, but doubting that will work. Do I need to actually update the APN's inside my phone to contain my login information, etc?

I am currently on CM9 Beta 2...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

If you search around this dev section I think there was a thread on getting mms to run on cricket. No offense to the op but his post seems pretty incomplete with what he stated in the thread title.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MMS Fix for Epics on Alternative Carriers

Works for ICS only, will not work on earlier versions of android.

Installation instructions
    Please locate your carrier and ROM from the list below.
    Download the fix
    Copy to your sd card
    Flash from recovery - this can and should be flashed over an existing installation.

Thanks!
    Don't forget to say thanks to the devs and testers.
    Alias8818: This wonderful fix is brought to you by his tireless efforts.
    mucus_android, brian117: Guinea Pigs

Downloads

Further preconfigured fixes will be added as they become available. If you do not see your fix listed, please read the guide below.
    AOKP ROMs
    Virgin Mobile - AOKP build 34 | mirror
    MMSfix.zip only provided by Alias8818

How-To Guide
    Guide on how to get MMS working an ALL carriers.

Step 1:
    Install MMSfix
    DL mmsfix.zip
    Load onto SD card
    Flash via recovery
    Boot to system
    Code:
         Important notes

Step 2:
    Edit build.prop
    Code:
    Edit them to read
    Code:
    Code:
         gsm.operator.alpha=Your Carrier's Name* please see attached list for list of names
         gsm.operator.numeric=Your Carrier's Numeric Identifier* please see attached for list of numeric values

Step 3:
    Test mms
    Make sure mms is working, if it is - You're done!
    If mms is not working, there is most likely an error in the entries to the build.prop

Numeric and Alpha values

Boost
    Code:
         ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=50502
         ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost MMS
         gsm.operator.alpha=Boost MMS
         gsm.operator.numeric=50502

Cricket
    Code:
         ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=31016
         gsm.operator.numeric=31016

Metro PCS
    Code:
         ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310027
         gsm.operator.numeric=310027

Sprint (do you really need this?)
    Code:
         gsm.operator.alpha=Sprint
         gsm.operator.numeric=310120

Verizon
    Code:
         ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310004
         ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Verizon
         gsm.operator.alpha=Verizon
         gsm.operator.numeric=310004

Virgin Mobile US
    Code:
         ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311490
         ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Virgin Mobile US
         gsm.operator.alpha=Virgin Mobile US
         gsm.operator.numeric=311490

Thank you for reading this guide.

Further reading
    brooksyx's thread on MMS fix for virgin mobile.
    He address the issue differently, and it did not completely work for me.
    The issue is likely related to the APNs.
    But please read his thread and check out the zip file he includes, he goes about the setup differently
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1491189

Pics!
    Screenshot_2012-04-27-02-02-55.png

Screenshot_2012-04-27-03-11-29.png
    That was so worth it.
    Thanks for your patience too, mucus.
    Step 2:
    Edit build.prop
    Code:
    Edit them to read
    Code:
    Code:
         gsm.operator.alpha=Your Carrier's Numeric Identifier* please see attached for list of numeric values
         gsm.operator.numeric=Your Carrier's Name* please see attached list for list of names

I think the OP made a mistake here. He put that the gms.operator.alpha= carrier's numeric identifier, but it's suppose to be the carrier's name and vice versa!

I knew you could do it!