MMS issues on T-Mobile

Search This thread

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Is anyone else having issues with MMS not sending or receiving on T-Mobile? I noticed that the APN isn't editable on this phone.

If I switch to airplane mode and back, it will send or receive the stalled message, but will stop working after that.

Any ideas?

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Yes I have issues sometimes while on wifi. I don't use wifi calling

Issues for me on wifi as well

Which text app are you using? Maybe a different one would work.

I'm using the stock app

Make up an APN name with just the name and apn filled in with something random. Save that APN. Next go back and edit that APN with the one you need and select it. That's how I fixed my APN.

Thanks I'll give that a try.

It's odd because it was fine ob my OG Pixel XL. I had this issue with the 6P and it was later fixed with an update.

It could just be carrier issues in my area too I guess...

akenis

Dec 22, 2007
Google Pixel 6
Google Pixel 7 Pro
On OG Pixel now. Was really confused when I got it last month. I'm used to making one default APN, but Pixel on Oreo had 5. Is 2 the same? All of my attempts at using advertised Tmob APN broke something. I actually think all 5 APN are needed for VOLTE, WiFi Calling, Messaging over WiFi (IMS), and international roaming. Try the three dots and reset to default.

Also under dialer settings *#*#4636#*#*, phone info, 3 dots, IMS Service Status.....you can check status.

If I deleted those weird APN's it would break IMS.

Sent from my marlin using XDA Labs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171026-192022.png
    Screenshot_20171026-192022.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 452

slickromeo

Jun 10, 2010
Please provide me the details of all the APN fields for the T-Mobile APN I should be using on a Pixel 2 XL. I'm also having issues sending MMS messages and I'd like to verify the APN fields with somebody here who has theirs working. Please let me know, thanks.

cb474

Oct 25, 2010
Is anyone else having issues with MMS not sending or receiving on T-Mobile? I noticed that the APN isn't editable on this phone.

If I switch to airplane mode and back, it will send or receive the stalled message, but will stop working after that.

Any ideas?

Did you ever figure out a solution to this? It seems like (from what I read on reddit) that Google Messenger does not like the fact that T-Mobile uses multiple APN settings.

I found if I created a new APN entry with these settings, http://www.4gtricks.com/2017/10/t-mobile-apn-settings-google-pixel-2-XL.html?m=1, that solved the MMS issue. But every time the phone is restarted or the radio toggled with airplane mode, the phone sets itself back to the default APN setting that cannot be edited. That's incredibly annoying.

I then found (from this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/77c1dj/android_tethering_and_apn_carrier_config/) that if I set the MVNO type in the APN I created to "GID" that the default T-Mobile settings disappeared and only my custom APN was there, so I didn't have it resetting with every restart.

But I'm worried based on what others said here that this may break VOLTE or wifi calling or cause issues with roaming on T-Mobile (if it thinks I'm an MVNO customers). So I'd rather just be able to edit the default APN. Even with root, I can't seem to find any posts about how to do this.

[Edit, I seem to have found a solution (working so far), which I explain here: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/phone-by-google/RNDSr05hUQ4/GPbYF3GYAgAJ.]

Last edited:
Reactions: El Daddy

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Did you ever figure out a solution to this? It seems like (from what I read on reddit) that Google Messenger does not like the fact that T-Mobile uses multiple APN settings.

I found if I created a new APN entry with these settings, http://www.4gtricks.com/2017/10/t-mobile-apn-settings-google-pixel-2-XL.html?m=1, that solved the MMS issue. But every time the phone is restarted or the radio toggled with airplane mode, the phone sets itself back to the default APN setting that cannot be edited. That's incredibly annoying.

I then found (from this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/77c1dj/android_tethering_and_apn_carrier_config/) that if I set the MVNO type in the APN I created to "GID" that the default T-Mobile settings disappeared and only my custom APN was there, so I didn't have it resetting with every restart.

But I'm worried based on what others said here that this may break VOLTE or wifi calling or cause issues with roaming on T-Mobile (if it thinks I'm an MVNO customers). So I'd rather just be able to edit the default APN. Even with root, I can't seem to find any posts about how to do this.

[Edit, I seem to have found a solution (working so far), which I explain here: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/phone-by-google/RNDSr05hUQ4/GPbYF3GYAgAJ.]

Thanks for this. Yes, I'm still having problems. I was in a week long conversation with T-Mobile about it and they couldn't figure it out either. At one point they suggested a signal booster (???) The odd part is that it only happens when I'm at work. It works fine everywhere else. The bad part is I get most of my MMS when I'm working...

The only theory I have is that at work we have a series of access points around campus with the same SSID instead of a mesh network. Maybe MMS gets screwed up somehow when jumping across access points.

I will give your suggestion a try and see if it helps.

nivlac978

May 26, 2010
Hudson
I found that my mms didn't work because of my router. I have a netduma router and mms doesn't work when I have turbo mode turned on. I have no idea what turbo mode changes about the network but whatever it does, it screws with mms somehow. Maybe your work network does something similar to netduma's turbo mode.

cb474

Oct 25, 2010
Thanks for this. Yes, I'm still having problems. I was in a week long conversation with T-Mobile about it and they couldn't figure it out either. At one point they suggested a signal booster (???) The odd part is that it only happens when I'm at work. It works fine everywhere else. The bad part is I get most of my MMS when I'm working...

The only theory I have is that at work we have a series of access points around campus with the same SSID instead of a mesh network. Maybe MMS gets screwed up somehow when jumping across access points.

I will give your suggestion a try and see if it helps.

In the Google Product Forums link I provide there are some other people saying that connecting to certain wifi access points seemed to interfere with their ability to send/recieve MMS. At least one person said it affected MMS even after they disconnected from that access point. And I think some people in that thread, if you read through it, found some solutions. For me, as I explain, also in that thread, my problem did not have to do with wifi and I resolved it by making some changes to my APN settings.

dijit4l

Jan 27, 2012
MMS Fix

I have come up with a simple fix! I am fortunate to have access to two Pixel 2s (one XL and one not) and will try this with my wife's (UPDATE: IT WORKS!), but here's the story:

Situation
My wife and I work for the same company and she mainly uses MMS and I don't, but it is happening to both of us after upgrading to Pixel 2s. She has the Pixel 2 and I have the XL. I have done a test where I added my Google Voice number and my wife's number in a group message and tested all sorts of combination of things. Our phone's MMS works on the house Wi-Fi and the mobile network, but not on our work Wi-Fi. I have reset network settings and APN settings back to default, no change. Looking at the APN settings, I realized the two T-Mobile MMS listings have the APN listed as "TMUS," whereas the default APN is listed as "fast.t-mobile.com." Since "TMUS" is not a valid domain name, I changed the first T-Mobile MMS APN to fast.t-mobile.com and MMS started working on Wi-Fi. I reset my APN settings back to default and it stopped working on my work's Wi-Fi again. I thought that I should leave the default APNs alone, just in case and decided to create a third T-Mobile MMS APN with fast.t-mobile.com as the APN. This third T-Mobile MMS APN somehow allows MMSs to work on the company's Wi-Fi.

Fix
  1. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile network > Access Point Names.
  2. Tap on the 3 dot menu at the upper-right and select "Reset to default."
  3. Create a new APN with the following settings:
    • Name: T-Mobile MMS
    • APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    • Proxy, Port, Username, Password, and Server: Not Set
    • MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (When typing this in, make sure auto correct doesn't change anything since URLs are case sensitive!)
    • MMS Proxy and MMS Port: Not Set
    • MCC: 310 (Should already be set)
    • MNC: 260 (Should already be set)
    • APN Type: mms
    • APN Protocol: IPv6
    • APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
    • Bearer: Unspecified
    • MVNO Type: None
    • MVNO Value: Not Set
  4. Tap on the 3 dot menu and select "Save."
  5. Reboot your phone for good measure (may not be necessary) and open Android Messages.
  6. Send a MMS or group MMS on and off the Wi-Fi network you are having issues on to see if it sends. If you have several queued up messages that haven't sent, you may need to tap to resend them and they may become out of order on the recipient's end.

Conclusions
The main thing to note about this is that it is the same as the other T-Mobile MMS APN, but has TMUS replaced with fast.t-mobile.com. If you look at the actual default fast.t-mobile.com APN, you'll notice that "mms" isn't listed among the others in APN Type. I feel, if I could edit that default fast.t-mobile.com APN, the problem would be fixed by adding ",mms" at the end. I assume one could duplicate everything in the default one and add it that way, but I wanted to provide the simplest, non-invasive fix possible that would not result in any future problems. When the phone/Google Messages consults the APNs, I assume it goes through each one to attempt to find one with MMS in the APN type and then attempts to contact the APN via its domain name, but fails since TMUS is not valid. I am not sure why it doesn't go ahead, verifies a working data connection, and then sends the MMS using http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc as it seems to do fine on other Wi-Fi networks. I do not know what makes my company's Wi-Fi different aside from it using EAP authentication and the fact that this problem didn't occur on my wife's previous phone (T-Mo Galaxy S7). I had the 2016 Pixel for a while, but I use Google Voice and would not normally notice the MMS issues. I need to implement this on my wife's phone and if I do not update this post, you should assume it worked (I may just forget to come back).

UPDATE: It works! I followed my own instructions and it works on my wife's Pixel 2 too!

If anyone has a good theory as to wth is going on, please contribute!

Last edited:

EMcTx

Oct 28, 2011
Houston
I have come up with a simple fix! I am fortunate to have access to two Pixel 2s (one XL and one not) and will try this with my wife's, but here's the story:

Situation
My wife and I work for the same company and she mainly uses MMS and I don't, but it is happening to both of us after upgrading to Pixel 2s. She has the Pixel 2 and I have the XL. I have done a test where I added my Google Voice number and my wife's number in a group message and tested all sorts of combination of things. Our phone's MMS works on the house Wi-Fi and the mobile network, but not on our work Wi-Fi. I have reset network settings and APN settings back to default, no change. Looking at the APN settings, I realized the two T-Mobile MMS listings have the APN listed as "TMUS," whereas the default APN is listed as "fast.t-mobile.com." Since "TMUS" is not a valid domain name, I changed the first T-Mobile MMS APN to fast.t-mobile.com and MMS started working on Wi-Fi. I reset my APN settings back to default and it stopped working on my work's Wi-Fi again. I thought that I should leave the default APNs alone, just in case and decided to create a third T-Mobile MMS APN with fast.t-mobile.com as the APN. This third T-Mobile MMS APN somehow allows MMSs to work on the company's Wi-Fi.

Fix
    • MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (When typing this in, make sure auto correct doesn't change anything since URLs are case sensitive!)
  5. Reboot your phone for good measure (may not be necessary) and open Android Messages.
  6. Send a MMS or group MMS on and off the Wi-Fi network you are having issues on to see if it sends. If you have several queued up messages that haven't sent, you may need to tap to resend them and they may become out of order on the recipient's end.

Conclusions
The main thing to note about this is that it is the same as the other T-Mobile MMS APN, but has TMUS replaced with fast.t-mobile.com. If you look at the actual default fast.t-mobile.com APN, you'll notice that "mms" isn't listed among the others in APN Type. I feel, if I could edit that default fast.t-mobile.com APN, the problem would be fixed by adding ",mms" at the end. I assume one could duplicate everything in the default one and add it that way, but I wanted to provide the simplest, non-invasive fix possible that would not result in any future problems. When the phone/Google Messages consults the APNs, I assume it goes through each one to attempt to find one with MMS in the APN type and then attempts to contact the APN via its domain name, but fails since TMUS is not valid. I am not sure why it doesn't go ahead, verifies a working data connection, and then sends the MMS using http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc as it seems to do fine on other Wi-Fi networks. I do not know what makes my company's Wi-Fi different aside from it using EAP authentication and the fact that this problem didn't occur on my wife's previous phone (T-Mo Galaxy S7). I had the 2016 Pixel for a while, but I use Google Voice and would not normally notice the MMS issues. I need to implement this on my wife's phone and if I do not update this post, you should assume it worked (I may just forget to come back).

Thanks!
That did the trick for me using Textra. I had been using the setting on there to turn off WiFi when I sent or received MMS, but I don't have to do that anymore.

dijit4l

Jan 27, 2012
Thanks!
That did the trick for me using Textra. I had been using the setting on there to turn off WiFi when I sent or received MMS, but I don't have to do that anymore.
Fantastic!

I had the same problem, a simple reset the default apn and restart the phone worked, no need to add anything.
Great! As I mentioned, I had done the same to both phones (actually, even got a different SIM for her phone). Something about being connected to our work's Wi-Fi caused the phones to throw their hands up in the air and refuse to work when no MMS APN with a FQDN was present.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MMS Fix

I have come up with a simple fix! I am fortunate to have access to two Pixel 2s (one XL and one not) and will try this with my wife's (UPDATE: IT WORKS!), but here's the story:

Situation

Fix

Conclusions

UPDATE: It works! I followed my own instructions and it works on my wife's Pixel 2 too!

I noticed that the APN isn't editable on this phone.

Any ideas?

Make up an APN name with just the name and apn filled in with something random. Save that APN. Next go back and edit that APN with the one you need and select it. That's how I fixed my APN.

Any ideas?