mmWave 5G support on Unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G ( SM-N986U1)

Search This thread
Hi,

I'm in process of buying Note 20 5G and wanted to confirm if Unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G ( SM-N986U1) would support mmWave 5G down the road?

Based on phonemore.com, currently it doesn't support whereas carrier branded models -SM-N986U, do support mmWave 5G .

https://www.phonemore.com/compare/p...axy-note-20-ultra-5g-sm-n986u1-128gb/14892546

Is mmWave 5G support hardware dependent or it can be enabled via firmware updates?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

@mindseye0803,

Network & Connectivity
5G
  • 5G Non-Standalone (NSA), Standalone (SA), Sub6 / mmWave
Thanks. It is generic info and doesn't specifically mention both unlocked( SM-N986U1) and carrier branded models (SM-N986U) have same capability.
With already going thro bitter experience of samsung support where product experts and customer support are contradicting each other's statements need written source to confirm unlocked (SM-N986U1) also supports mmWave.
I have also reached out to phonemore.com to ask for source of their information which mentions unlocked version(SM-N986U) doesn't support mmWave.

Reactions: cam30era

rjohnstone

Thanks. It is generic info and doesn't specifically mention both unlocked( SM-N986U1) and carrier branded models (SM-N986U) have same capability.
With already going thro bitter experience of samsung support where product experts and customer support are contradicting each other's statements need written source to confirm unlocked (SM-N986U1) also supports mmWave.
I have also reached out to phonemore.com to ask for source of their information which mentions unlocked version(SM-N986U) doesn't support mmWave.
All Qualcomm versions support mmWave 5G.
The only difference between a U model and a U1 is the U1 is unlocked (no SIM lock).
Everything else is the same.
They also have eSIM capabilities (eSIM currently disabled on all U/U1 models and will require a firmware update from Samsung to enable)
Here are the FCC filing info.
The U and U1 model are the same phone.
" This device has a FCC ID number A3LSMN986U [Model Number: SM-N986U, SM-N986U1]"

Here is the complete list of Operating Frequencies from the FCC database.

Here is the specific report covering mmWave capabilities.

All Qualcomm versions support mmWave 5G.
The only difference between a U model and a U1 is the U1 is unlocked (no SIM lock).
Everything else is the same.
They also have eSIM capabilities (eSIM currently disabled on all U/U1 models and will require a firmware update from Samsung to enable)
Here are the FCC filing info.
The U and U1 model are the same phone.
" This device has a FCC ID number A3LSMN986U [Model Number: SM-N986U, SM-N986U1]"

Here is the complete list of Operating Frequencies from the FCC database.

Here is the specific report covering mmWave capabilities.
Thank you!

Reactions: rjohnstone

biijan

Apr 5, 2013
can anyone help please. I am living in UK, have note 20 ultra 986U1. all 5g Bands are not active, on android 11 (UI3.1) there was a way to access to service menu and enable all 5bands. and I was using the 5G here. now, I updated, and that can not reach seavice menu to enable right 5G band. anyone has any idea what should I do? even I can not flash with UK rom, as UK rom is for Exynos, but mine is snapdragon. any other idea maybe? or other rom that works with my phone and also enabled 5G bands?

Top Liked Posts