• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Mobile Network Standby draining battey on Oreo 8.1 ROMs

Search This thread

avoulk

Aug 26, 2011
Athens
The devs are saying that this is a firmware issue and there is nothing to do until the official firmware is out that solves this problem. Still waiting.

It is definitely a firmware issue.
I reverted since summer to official MIUI and with MIUI 10 stable (aka Android 7.0) I am getting an average SOT of 2h20m max over a day (from 07:30 - 01:00).
I think they have somehow messed up with the radio interfaces configuration, cannot think of anything else..
Not sure what happens if i flash chinese FW though.

zogoibi

Aug 18, 2011
Hi all. A search for "mobile network standby battery" sent me to this thread.

My device is a Samsung Galaxy A3 dual sim, and I'm having exactly the same issues I see posted in here. For me -as for some of you- the puzzling point is: why only some owners experience this bug (on a given model)?? That really baffles me. In Galaxy A3 Oreo threads, like here, only some users report this problem.

Might it be related with double-sim submodels? In several forums out there addressing this issue, people mention their devices are dual sim.

I did one experiment: flashed RR, Gapps pico, Supersu, then booted, and didn't use the phone nor change any default setting. Guess what? Mobile network standby was absolutely normal for a few hours. But then, when I started using the device and personalizing it, the bug appeared and ditn't go away. Weird, huh? Can somebody else confirm this?

[EDIT] Bad news for all of us, if someone's following or reading this thread: Battery drain hasn't improved in LOS Pie: it's still there. :(

Last edited:

rajeshkoshti

Apr 26, 2013
Hi all. A search for "mobile network standby battery" sent me to this thread.

My device is a Samsung Galaxy A3 dual sim, and I'm having exactly the same issues I see posted in here. For me -as for some of you- the puzzling point is: why only some owners experience this bug (on a given model)?? That really baffles me. In Galaxy A3 Oreo threads, like here, only some users report this problem.

Might it be related with double-sim submodels? In several forums out there addressing this issue, people mention their devices are dual sim.

I did one experiment: flashed RR, Gapps pico, Supersu, then booted, and didn't use the phone nor change any default setting. Guess what? Mobile network standby was absolutely normal for a few hours. But then, when I started using the device and personalizing it, the bug appeared and ditn't go away. Weird, huh? Can somebody else confirm this?

[EDIT] Bad news for all of us, if someone's following or reading this thread: Battery drain hasn't improved in LOS Pie: it's still there. :(

Your observation is absolutely right mate. With clean flash initially the battery drain is minimal or normal, the draining starts occurring with personalizing or changing settings according to our taste!
I have done tons of things on my moto g5 plus but since I started using custom roms i have never experienced stock nougat battery life which was amazing even with two sims.:(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I was on latest MIUI China beta before. Somedays ago, I flashed the Resurrection Remix 6.0.0 (06.03.2018 build). Battery was draining fast. I checked battery usage and there was this ”Mobile Network Standby” which was draining the battery. It even consumed more power than Screen and Android System. I thought it was some bug on RR. So, I flashed Lineage OS 15.1 (05.03.2018 build). Everything was fine here too. Except that ”Mobile Network Standby” thing. It was draining battery on this ROM too. I tried L OS 15.1 12.03.2018 build and RR 6.0.0 10.03.2018 build. That bug still present in these ROMs too.

I tried possibly everything to fix that issue. I've tried following -

1. Network Setting Reset
    2. Turn off Data always on in Developer Settings
    3. Turn off VoLTE (I don't even use LTE here)
    4. Clean cache via TWRP
    5. Turn off WiFi scanning during sleep
    6. Turn of Location Services
    7. Turn off Google play Services wakelock and background running via Privacy Guard
    8. Finally, I clean flashed both ROMs

But, Nothing has fixed the issue.

on Nougat 7.1.2 ROMs everything is absolutely fine. There's no draining issue
    PS - I used stock kernel with CN Firmware 8.3.1 and 8.3.8

Is there any possible fix for this issue? Anyone else having this issue? Any updates on fixing this issue in future?

Sorry for my English btw

Update: Using the ForceDoze (root method) app reduced the battery drain. But, it didn't really solve the problem
    I have an Umidigi A1 PRO and had a similar issue, Mobile Network Manager battery drain. I contacted Umidigi and they replied to me:
    "Ok, please go to 'Settings --> Security location --> Location (under Privacy) --> Scanning' and disable both Wi-Fi- and bluetooth scanning. That scanning function uses both bluetooth and WiFi (in any phone) even if they are turned off."
    This reduced battery drain considerably and now overnight, with wifi switched off, battery usage is between 2% and 3%. Even in day with wifi switched on drain is what I would expect of any mobile. There must be a reason why this option is not placed under 'Network'. I haven't tested out the above (dual sim), but will try adding a second sim and see what happens as the the Mobile Network Manager battery usage is still above normal.
    Regards.
    Hi @06_taro,

Are you sure that this is Oreo based MIUI, not Nougat? 8.10.11 was released MIUI 10 global beta still based on Nougat, and there is no any information about upcoming Oreo.

h t t p : / / en.miui.com/thread-4178144-1-1.html

This is the insider alpha test version for China which is not supposed to be published on Xiaomi's website, not the public beta version. Only eligible testers have access to it. However, someone shared the link of the ROM so you can download from official MIUI website here, and flash it with any custom recovery like TWRP.

Xiaomi has also released the 8.10.11 alpha version for China, but I have no link to it.

I personally did not flash the 8.10.10 ROM, but all people flashed it confirmed that the ROM is Orea based. It can also be confirmed from the file name in the link, which is suffixed with "8.0". I simply repacked the firmware files in ./firmware-update folder.

BTW, xiaomi.eu has released Orea based 8.10.11 ROM for Mi5s. I'll try the firmware there to see if any problem solved.
    Try the app "ForceDoze", helps with almost any battery drain. Does require root though. Another explanation could be that your reception is bad for whatever reason, so also check that. Also flashing a newer GApps might help.
    My 5s also suffers from the battery drain caused by mobile network standby. Today Xiaomi rolled out Orea based MIUI for insider testers. I extracted the firmware from it. Try and see if it helps. I just flashed it, and will report the results later.

fw_capricorn_miui_MI5S_8.10.10_476b2341f6_8.0.zip