MultiROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 i9305, brought to you by Alexander_the_B0ss​
ruSvNuB.png

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

Introduction
MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Galaxy S3 4G. It can boot any Android ROM . Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM could boot from external SD card(untested). The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system.

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs (as many as your internal memory can hold)
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM (damn useful feature)
* Boot from Internal memory and MicroSD Card

Warning!
This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong (even if never happened until now) and you will have to flash stock firmware with Odin. Make backups. I personally can't stress enough for you people to make nandroids becuase you never know.

Installation
  1. Via MultiROM Manager app
    This is the easiest way to install everything MultiROM needs. Install the app Install my modified app and select MultiROM and recovery on the Install/Update card the app is still in alpha, so don't select install, use manual install below. If the Status card says Kernel: doesn't have kexec-hardboot patch! in red letters, you have to install also patched kernel - either select one on the Install/Update card or get some 3rd-party kernel here on XDA. You are choosing kernel for your primary ROM, not any of your (future) secondary ROMs, so select the version accordingly.
    Press "Install" on the Install/Update card to start the installation.
  2. Manual installation
    Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.
Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:
  • MultiROM itself - download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery.
  • Modified recovery - download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery or Mobile Odin app to flash the recovery.img contained inside ZIP.
  • Patched kernel (Only TWO: AGNi PureCM or AGNi PureSTOCK) - Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery (seems like kexec-hardboot isn't activated by psndna88, so menu won't show up on boot)

*Downloads in Post #2*

If your MAIN ROM is TouchWiz or TouchWiz based, please use AGNi PureSTOCK kexec-hardboot status unknown, someone with stock rom please install app and tell me if kexec-hardboot is enabled.

If your MAIN ROM is not TouchWiz, but CM or AOSP (basically custom rom except MIUI) use AGNi PureCM no kexec-hardboot, tested.

You current rom will not be erased by the installation.

Adding ROMs

Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.

Using MicroSD Card (UNTESTED)

• During installation, recovery lets you select install location. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
  • If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
  • If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
  • Installation to MicroSD Card takes a bit more, because the external memory is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images. Also boot process is longer, highly depends on card's class. You can find ROMs installed on SD card in the "External" tab in boot menu.

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.

2. Secondary Android ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Explanation of recovery menus
Main menu
  • Add ROM - Add ROM to boot manager
  • List ROMs - List installed ROMs and manage them
  • Inject curr. boot sector - Use this option if MultiROM does not show up on boot, for example after kernel installation.
  • Settings - Well, settings

Manage ROM
  • Rename, delete - I believe these are obvious
  • Flash ZIP (only Android ROMs) - Flash ZIP to the ROM, for example GApps
  • Add/replace boot.img - Replaces boot.img used by the ROM, this is more like developer option.

Screenshots
  • Application

U9Vn4QR.png

x6586uD.png

lIlj684.png

moHXVuN.png

ohy1IPz.png

4mzICoK.png

NNRpRTV.png

11Dltbz.png

39HE6Mv.png

yUmOOR1.png

• Recovery (Sorry for pictures...)

dR8wNKPl.jpg

qrTC87Ol.jpg

sOJQolQl.jpg

rPIU3Hbl.jpg

VIGuIBol.jpg

Eu4bbQwl.jpg

haqbLSol.jpg

Bonus pic(zoom to see the RGBG-Matrix (PenTile))
    B5IrFF7.jpg

• My Homescreen and Lockscreen (for those interested)

uDZXcnu.png

SftxZyV.png

Big thanks to Tasssadar for this awesome utility.

XDA:DevDB Information
MultiROM, multiboot tool for Samsung Galaxy S3 4G (i9305), Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S III I9300

Contributors
Alexander_the_B0ss

Version Information
Current Beta Version: v32
Beta Release Date: 2015-08-30

Created 2015-08-29
Last Updated 2015-09-02

西村大一

Dec 7, 2012
Sagamihara\Tōkyō
Reserved

DOWNLOADS
  • MultiROM itself: HERE (Check NOTE 2 below for testing zip)
  • Uninstaller: HERE
  • Recovery: HERE
Note 1: For recovery use 720x1280 multirom theme from here.
Note 2:

MultiROM Installer with MultiROMManager app and TWRP theme installation testing zip here. Basically what this zip does is, after MultiROM is installed, it copies to system/app my own version of MultiROM Manger to support i9305, then copies to the internal sdcard the theme for TWRP and sets the correct attributes.

Last edited:
M

maultasche

a possibility to install more than just one operating system

西村大一

Dec 7, 2012
Sagamihara\Tōkyō
Quick update for you guys:

Recovery works, but the theme is kinda weird, so use the theme provided for 'perfect' recovery :)
MultiROM menu won't show on boot, sent PM to Tassadar for help request. Meanwhile, i am trying to modify MultiROM Manager app to support i9305 to possibly have a workaround for the menu not showing up.

Stay tuned for more development and an OP update after everything is working. CYA

Last edited:

西村大一

Dec 7, 2012
Sagamihara\Tōkyō
Another quick update for the ones interested in the project. I have succesfully compiled MultiROM Manger app that detects our device (after twenty attempts, then gave up and updated Android Studio to the latest version and redownloaded Android SDK and NDK. First attempt after reinstall worked).The APK fresh from the oven is here. This represents a milestone in MultiROM development because with the app now detecting the device one can avoid the boot menu not showing bug. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE

The bug i talked about is related to kernel, because the app doesn't detect kexec-hardboot.

Stay tuned for updated OP soon™.

Last edited:

fs71gh

Oct 18, 2013
Dhaka
Error in flashing. 'E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/external_sd/Roms/MultiRom/multirom-20150829-v32-UNOFFICIAL-i9305.zip'
Tried both with unmodified TWRP and MultiRom TWRP

Edit: MultiROM Manager_1.183-debug_183.apk also says "device not supported (trelte)". Tested with Eclipse rom

Last edited:

西村大一

Dec 7, 2012
Sagamihara\Tōkyō
Error in flashing. 'E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/external_sd/Roms/MultiRom/multirom-20150829-v32-UNOFFICIAL-i9305.zip'
Tried both with unmodified TWRP and MultiRom TWRP

Edit: MultiROM Manager_1.183-debug_183.apk also says "device not supported (trelte)". Tested with Eclipse rom

Are you really trying to install this on Note 4? Damn. It is only for i9305, aka m3xx aka m3 aka S3 4G. So WRONG FORUM

西村大一

Dec 7, 2012
Sagamihara\Tōkyō
Sorry for your confusion but we also have an Eclipse for S3 LTE which is already in this forum and my device is undoubtedly also S3 LTE and not Note 4 :)

I don't want to keep this on, but check this post out http://forum.xda-developers.com/not...-x-teamwin-t2956011/post57742832#post57742832 and see the codename for the SM-910F and check your reply from before

fs71gh

Oct 18, 2013
Dhaka
I don't want to keep this on, but check this post out http://forum.xda-developers.com/not...-x-teamwin-t2956011/post57742832#post57742832 and see the codename for the SM-910F and check your reply from before

I guess the problem is with the rom specifically (some things left out while porting), as I got your your apk working with two other cm11 roms.

il3gal

Apr 23, 2014
Bacau, Romania
@Alexander_the_B0ss

Hi boss.
I like this dual-boot initiative but i have some problem with apk (device not supported (trelte)) but i think you can solve this.
I edit the updater-script and remove this line (assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "i9305" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "i9305");) (i test now in terminal command: getprop ro.product.device and show me i9305 ..i dont now why i can't install zip package. but i solve this with removed line.
So, i install recovery (multirom recovery) and i install zip. I install your modded apk and i have error.
On recovery, i try to install a new rom, and was installed (but on internal_memory/multirom directory i dont see any folder/file..but my space on rom was used by "new rom")
I try to inject my kernel (pureSTOCK 5.9.2). Nothing happen when i reboot my phone. I think need to show a menu with "What rom do you want to boot"..but nothing.

I can help you with tests to dev this project.
Keep up

EDIT: And, i dont now how can install a theme for TWRP..because text buttons not aligned :D

Reactions: RayaneGti

西村大一

Dec 7, 2012
Sagamihara\Tōkyō
@Alexander_the_B0ss

Hi boss.
I like this dual-boot initiative but i have some problem with apk (device not supported (trelte)) but i think you can solve this.
I edit the updater-script and remove this line (assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "i9305" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "i9305");) (i test now in terminal command: getprop ro.product.device and show me i9305 ..i dont now why i can't install zip package. but i solve this with removed line.
So, i install recovery (multirom recovery) and i install zip. I install your modded apk and i have error.
On recovery, i try to install a new rom, and was installed (but on internal_memory/multirom directory i dont see any folder/file..but my space on rom was used by "new rom")
I try to inject my kernel (pureSTOCK 5.9.2). Nothing happen when i reboot my phone. I think need to show a menu with "What rom do you want to boot"..but nothing.

I can help you with tests to dev this project.
Keep up

EDIT: And, i dont now how can install a theme for TWRP..because text buttons not aligned :D

Heh, the updater-script bug is well-known to me, i'll try to fix it in the upcoming updates. The manager app issue happens is because you are running a Note 4 ROM from this forum and that rom changes the ro.product.device if not mistaken. If I can make this work, which i will do, i will have a talk with the ROM developers to not alter the ro.product.device for the app to work. To install a TWRP theme you have the instructions along with the download here. Just make sure to download for 720p.

Reactions: fs71gh

fs71gh

Oct 18, 2013
Dhaka
Heh, the updater-script bug is well-known to me, i'll try to fix it in the upcoming updates. The manager app issue happens is because you are running a Note 4 ROM from this forum and that rom changes the ro.product.device if not mistaken. If I can make this work, which i will do, i will have a talk with the ROM developers to not alter the ro.product.device for the app to work. To install a TWRP theme you have the instructions along with the download here. Just make sure to download for 720p.

Thanks for your "talk with ROM Developers". Hope kexec-hardpatch is enabled (if I am right) soon and we will have boot menu working

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (Click on the image above to download my MultiROM Manager App)​
    MultiROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 i9305, brought to you by Alexander_the_B0ss​
    ruSvNuB.png

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Introduction
    MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Galaxy S3 4G. It can boot any Android ROM . Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM could boot from external SD card(untested). The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system.

Features:
    * Multiboot any number of Android ROMs (as many as your internal memory can hold)
    * Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM (damn useful feature)
    * Boot from Internal memory and MicroSD Card

Warning!
    This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong (even if never happened until now) and you will have to flash stock firmware with Odin. Make backups. I personally can't stress enough for you people to make nandroids becuase you never know.

Installation
    1. Via MultiROM Manager app
      This is the easiest way to install everything MultiROM needs. Install the app Install my modified app and select MultiROM and recovery on the Install/Update card the app is still in alpha, so don't select install, use manual install below. If the Status card says Kernel: doesn't have kexec-hardboot patch! in red letters, you have to install also patched kernel - either select one on the Install/Update card or get some 3rd-party kernel here on XDA. You are choosing kernel for your primary ROM, not any of your (future) secondary ROMs, so select the version accordingly.
      Press "Install" on the Install/Update card to start the installation.
    2. Manual installation
      Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.
    Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:
    • MultiROM itself - download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery.
    • Modified recovery - download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery or Mobile Odin app to flash the recovery.img contained inside ZIP.
    • Patched kernel (Only TWO: AGNi PureCM or AGNi PureSTOCK) - Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery (seems like kexec-hardboot isn't activated by psndna88, so menu won't show up on boot)

*Downloads in Post #2*

If your MAIN ROM is TouchWiz or TouchWiz based, please use AGNi PureSTOCK kexec-hardboot status unknown, someone with stock rom please install app and tell me if kexec-hardboot is enabled.

If your MAIN ROM is not TouchWiz, but CM or AOSP (basically custom rom except MIUI) use AGNi PureCM no kexec-hardboot, tested.

You current rom will not be erased by the installation.

Adding ROMs

Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.

Using MicroSD Card (UNTESTED)

• During installation, recovery lets you select install location. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
    • If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
    • If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
    • Installation to MicroSD Card takes a bit more, because the external memory is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images. Also boot process is longer, highly depends on card's class. You can find ROMs installed on SD card in the "External" tab in boot menu.

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
    Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
    Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.

2. Secondary Android ROMs
    If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
    Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
    Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Explanation of recovery menus
    Main menu
    • Add ROM - Add ROM to boot manager
    • List ROMs - List installed ROMs and manage them
    • Inject curr. boot sector - Use this option if MultiROM does not show up on boot, for example after kernel installation.
    • Settings - Well, settings

Manage ROM
    • Rename, delete - I believe these are obvious
    • Flash ZIP (only Android ROMs) - Flash ZIP to the ROM, for example GApps
    • Add/replace boot.img - Replaces boot.img used by the ROM, this is more like developer option.

Screenshots
    • Application

U9Vn4QR.png

x6586uD.png

lIlj684.png

moHXVuN.png

ohy1IPz.png

4mzICoK.png

NNRpRTV.png

11Dltbz.png

39HE6Mv.png

yUmOOR1.png

• Recovery (Sorry for pictures...)

dR8wNKPl.jpg

qrTC87Ol.jpg

sOJQolQl.jpg

rPIU3Hbl.jpg

VIGuIBol.jpg

Eu4bbQwl.jpg

haqbLSol.jpg

Bonus pic(zoom to see the RGBG-Matrix (PenTile))
      B5IrFF7.jpg

• My Homescreen and Lockscreen (for those interested)

uDZXcnu.png

SftxZyV.png

Big thanks to Tasssadar for this awesome utility.

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiROM, multiboot tool for Samsung Galaxy S3 4G (i9305), Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S III I9300

Contributors
    Alexander_the_B0ss

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: v32
    Beta Release Date: 2015-08-30

Created 2015-08-29
    Last Updated 2015-09-02
    Another quick update for the ones interested in the project. I have succesfully compiled MultiROM Manger app that detects our device (after twenty attempts, then gave up and updated Android Studio to the latest version and redownloaded Android SDK and NDK. First attempt after reinstall worked).The APK fresh from the oven is here. This represents a milestone in MultiROM development because with the app now detecting the device one can avoid the boot menu not showing bug. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE

The bug i talked about is related to kernel, because the app doesn't detect kexec-hardboot.

Stay tuned for updated OP soon™.
    Reserved

DOWNLOADS
    • MultiROM itself: HERE (Check NOTE 2 below for testing zip)
    • Uninstaller: HERE
    • Recovery: HERE
    Note 1: For recovery use 720x1280 multirom theme from here.
    Note 2:

MultiROM Installer with MultiROMManager app and TWRP theme installation testing zip here. Basically what this zip does is, after MultiROM is installed, it copies to system/app my own version of MultiROM Manger to support i9305, then copies to the internal sdcard the theme for TWRP and sets the correct attributes.
    Quick update for you guys:

Recovery works, but the theme is kinda weird, so use the theme provided for 'perfect' recovery :)
    MultiROM menu won't show on boot, sent PM to Tassadar for help request. Meanwhile, i am trying to modify MultiROM Manager app to support i9305 to possibly have a workaround for the menu not showing up.

Stay tuned for more development and an OP update after everything is working. CYA
    Get well soon friend