• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[MOD][4.2.1/4.2][JOP40D/JOP40C] Tethering/Wifi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G

Search This thread

svs57

Sep 4, 2012
I'm sure that there is difference because old and new framework have different md5 sum.
Then I don't like that in this case i'll have some files updated and some files don't.

lee.n

Nov 21, 2012
Download flashing zip file, transfer it to devices, reboot device into recovery, choose install and zip file.

Tried : #1
1. Power down the N7, plug in the cable on computer and N7
2. Hold , Vol up , Vol down + power at the same time for 3 to 4 secs, nothing happen ( i a;so tried to hold for 10 secs, still nothing happen), I only see black screen.
- weird thing is, when I press the power buton, the device wont turn on , unless I press and hold power button for about 15 secs, then it will turn on.

Tried #2
1. adb reboot recovery
2. power and vol up at the same time,
- but I cannot find install from zip. only install from adb

I am now trying to download the NRT 1.7.1 but will take time. :(

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Tried : #1
1. Power down the N7, plug in the cable on computer and N7
2. Hold , Vol up , Vol down + power at the same time for 3 to 4 secs, nothing happen ( i a;so tried to hold for 10 secs, still nothing happen), I only see black screen.
- weird thing is, when I press the power buton, the device wont turn on , unless I press and hold power button for about 15 secs, then it will turn on.

Tried #2
1. adb reboot recovery
- but I cannot find install from zip. only install from adb

I am now trying to download the NRT 1.7.1 but will take time. :(

1. adb reboot recovery
3,. update from ADB
4. adb sideload adb sideload Framework_43.zip
sending: 'sideload' 100%

however, I got error
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Any suggestion ?

eiapoce

May 29, 2012
Rome
www.iapoce.com
T
1. adb reboot recovery
3,. update from ADB
4. adb sideload adb sideload Framework_43.zip
sending: 'sideload' 100%

however, I got error
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Any suggestion ?

Looks like you have signature verification "ON". It's weird that you can't get into fastboot mode. If I were you I'd issue a

Code:
adb reboot-bootloader

and then get to the recovery using the volume and power keys.

I have another problem touught. After installing the framework I realized that the created hotspot is not functional. If I connect to that with another device there is no internet connection. Of course my tablet has a data plan and it's currently working so I am puzzled.

Also the USB tethering is not working, when I try to enable it the checkbox is getting back to the unchecked position and no internet is shared with the PC.

Anyone with these issues?

lee.n

Nov 21, 2012
Looks like you have signature verification "ON". It's weird that you can't get into fastboot mode. If I were you I'd issue a

Code:
adb reboot-bootloader

and then get to the recovery using the volume and power keys.

How can I turn off verification?

I have another problem touught. After installing the framework I realized that the created hotspot is not functional. If I connect to that with another device there is no internet connection. Of course my tablet has a data plan and it's currently working so I am puzzled.

Also the USB tethering is not working, when I try to enable it the checkbox is getting back to the unchecked position and no internet is shared with the PC.

Anyone with these issues?

ohh, you used the zip files from post #206 ?

Anybody was able to make the tethering work on 4.3 JWR66Y ?

Also, by flashing the files , will still be on official stock firmware? even rooted? which means, once google push new updates, we still get them right ?

eiapoce

May 29, 2012
Rome
www.iapoce.com
How can I turn off verification?

You have to install a custom recovery. Then inside the recovery there are options for removing the file verification (usually it's off by default.).

It looks like you need to follow a guide about rooting your device, I advise you do that first by following one of these guides (available on XDA) and then attempt to install the tether framework.

lee.n

Nov 21, 2012
You have to install a custom recovery. Then inside the recovery there are options for removing the file verification (usually it's off by default.).

It looks like you need to follow a guide about rooting your device, I advise you do that first by following one of these guides (available on XDA) and then attempt to install the tether framework.

I've already rooted my Nexus 7 3G using - CF-Auto-Root-tilapia-nakasig-nexus7. What's next ?
Custom recovery will replace the stock android 4.3 ?

lee.n

Nov 21, 2012
u dont need to root just unlock and with a good tollkit u dont even need to flash custom recovery i still have stock u can tell the toolkit to boot custom image/recovery when bootloader is unlocked

My Tab is rooted , bootloader unlock, stock firmware. And I didnt install any custom recovery yet.

This toolkit is okay? http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/ Can I use this software to flash the zip directly?

I've installed NRT, and it downloaded two img file.
- modified_boot_nakasig_4.3.0_JWR66Y.img
- openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-tilapia.img

What are the use for that software ?

-sorry for asking too many noob questions. I am really new to this flashing thing and I dont want to mess around and eventually damage the device.

Last edited:

didi0815

Oct 15, 2012
My Tab is rooted , bootloader unlock, stock firmware. And I didnt install any custom recovery yet.

This toolkit is okay? http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/ Can I use this software to flash the zip directly?

I've installed NRT, and it downloaded two img file.
- modified_boot_nakasig_4.3.0_JWR66Y.img
- openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-tilapia.img

What are the use for that software ?
Reading the instructions of WUGs Software ;). But therefore here is the wrong thread.

What do you want to do? If you only want to enable tethering, you have to:
1) unlock your device (e.g. using WUGs tools).
2) flash tethering zip file(s) (e.g. using WUGs tools).

But for step 2 there seems to be is at the moment no clear instructions what files to use for JWR66Y ...
I did it as described in Post #256 and it works, but maybe I have now an older version of Framework 4.3 (whatever that means :angel: :cowboy:)

Last edited:

Matteo 88

Oct 2, 2012
Linz
I did the same with JWR66Y framework-res.apk as Matteo 88 wrote in post 206 but got bootloop.
Apktool v1.5.3.2c5f176a94

that was the problem with my framework-res.apk as well as far as i can tell its a problem with manifest.xmf and the meta-inf folder inside the .apk open the modified .akp with 7zip or winrar and copy the manifest.xml and the meta-inf folder from stock apk to the modified and it should work without bootloops or just try the file i uploaded i think in post 266.

lee.n

Nov 21, 2012
Hi Guys

Tethering is enabled on my N7 3G ( I am using it right now)

I used Wugs Toolkit and flash two zips.
- Framework_43.zip
- enabletetherJWR66Y.zip

I haven't cleared any cache, and rebooted automatically.

I just hope that I will still get an update when Goggle pushes new versions. (I did not installed any custom rom)

Thanks so much guys for helping.

svs57

Sep 4, 2012
that was the problem with my framework-res.apk as well as far as i can tell its a problem with manifest.xmf and the meta-inf folder inside the .apk open the modified .akp with 7zip or winrar and copy the manifest.xml and the meta-inf folder from stock apk to the modified and it should work without bootloops or just try the file i uploaded i think in post 266.
Thank you. I have installed you framework-res.apk.
But I want to learn to do it myself.
As I understand the problem with aapt or apktool. Don't know are tools compatible with 4.3

Matteo 88

Oct 2, 2012
Linz
Thank you. I have installed you framework-res.apk.
But I want to learn to do it myself.
As I understand the problem with aapt or apktool. Don't know are tools compatible with 4.3

java -jar apktool.jar d framework-res.apk = decompile (u get a folder with the name framework-res) then change the lines in values/arrays.xml

then to recompile

java -jar apktool.jar b framework-res framework-resnew.apk (the new is to not overwrite the stock framework-res.apk should be renamed later)

then u should get the framework-resnew.apk

now before u push it or flash it u need to open the stock framework-res.apk in 7zip or so and open the framework-resnew.apk and copy the manifest.xml and the meta-inf folder (with its content) from stock to the framework-resnew.apk.

now u are good to go to push or flash the new framework res apk

hf trying backup the stock framework res apk to flash it back for google updates or in case of bootloop to be able to restore (in case of a bootloop trying to flash it u can go in recovery and sideload back the stock and bootloops should be gone)

(typing errors possible just wrote the steps out of my mind im on my (not work) computer now where i dont have the files to try and do a nice step by step guide.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jfmcbrayer

lee.n

Nov 21, 2012
Since hotspot on nexus 7 is now working, just wondering if there's a way to hide the ssid ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

joselito23

Aug 28, 2013
Hi,

Tethering is enabled on my N7 3G 4.3 (JWR66Y)

I used Wugs Toolkit and flash: Framework_43.zip and enabletetherJWR66Y.zip

Wifi hotspot run perfectfly.

USB dont work for me.

How can i solve it, i really need use tethering by USB cable.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE USE WITH CAUTION AND ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES.

You may have noticed that the Nexus 7 3G does not have the tethering options enabled by default.

I couldn't live with that (that was partially the point why I got the 3G version), so have patched the framework to enable those options. Partial credits go to [email protected] who has fixed the apktool for Android 4.2 .

To get it to work just flash the ZIP below. It will only work on the JOP40D and JOP40C releases, and obviously only if you have a 3G device. Please do not try it on the WiFi-only Nexus 7 :) .

Please note that it doesn't do a backup of the original framework-res.apk, so you can either make one yourself, or you can reflash the factory system image if you want to go back to stock later.

4.2.1 (JOP40D):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oti37qsc265me8t/enabletether-JOP40D.zip

4.2 (JOP40C):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tswcvz50op8rfu/enabletether-JOP40C.zip
    I really would appreciate flashable zip to enable tethering for 4.3.:sly:
    Thanks in advance !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Hi i just pulled the file decompressed it and it works for me i will aditionally put a small guide here:

after pulling framework-res.apk and decompiling modify the following lines in /res/values/arrays.xml

<array name="config_tether_usb_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <array name="config_tether_upstream_types" />

to

<string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
    <item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
    <item>wlan\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
    <item>bnep\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
    <item>0</item>
    <item>1</item>
    <item>5</item>
    <item>7</item>
    </integer-array>

recompile the framework-res.apk sign it and u are ready to go.

Here are the links for the stock framework and the tether mod:

Stock Framework 4.3
    Tether enabled

U can flash them with sideload and i recommend a cache wipe after it.

HF
    Hi Folks,

as far i could tell there are no diferences in the stock framework-res.apk but i think i fixed the bootloop error on first install and i made a new enable tether file for jwr66y anyways hf flashing.

Enable Tether jwr66y
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B94bfpTec3GpdWpjclNteGhOQmM/edit
    Successfully flashed this over 4.2.2
    Worked on first boot without problems. Currently tethering over wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    bootloop even with 3rd try :(

Try this version. It's works for Me.

8953c95366caf1e9ab6a9f50f7337f1e thether-JDQ39.zip

Flashed via TWRP without any problems, bootloops.