[MOD][5.0.2/4.4.x] SMS and WiFi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G (2012)

Search This thread

TimoSorvoja

Feb 12, 2015
Those APKs that are in /system are "initial" versions. After update those become obsolete because updated APKs are stored in /data. Correct me IF I'm wrong. This is new stuff for me too.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Those APKs that are in /system are "initial" versions. After update those become obsolete because updated APKs are stored in /data. Correct me IF I'm wrong. This is new stuff for me too.
You're right - the only thing is, you don't want to do this with apks that have such an essential system function that they must be in /system. When those are upgraded in Play Store, I believe the presence of the original in /system plays a part in escalating the permissions.

TimoSorvoja

Feb 12, 2015
That sounds logical. I'll restore those APKs if/when possible. Though probably only situation when those are needed is after factory reset.

About escalating the permissions: Aren't those escalated after Play Store software update from updated APK's?

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
That sounds logical. I'll restore those APKs if/when possible. Though probably only situation when those are needed is after factory reset.

About escalating the permissions: Aren't those escalated after Play Store software update from updated APK's?

I think what it comes down to is on stock Android unrooted, if the app is not in /system at all, the OS is not allowed to escalate its permissions.

I had 512KB left after installing stock Android so I decided to delete Newsstand and Books. They are big apks, totally non-critical, I don't use them anyway, and they were already updated so there was already a copy in /data/app.

BTW: I am trying out Xposed for Lollipop. The Kitkat Xposed plugin that enables SMS and hotspot installed successfully. I can confirm the SMS app and tethering menus appear in Settings although I haven't tested functionality yet. So now there is another alternative.

Rammbike

Feb 17, 2015
Hey,

I'm quite new on this forum and Android's mods. I have question, which file exactly shoud I download for my Nexus? Here I've got three files and I don't know difference beetwen them. I've got Nexus 2012 3G on Android 5.0.2.

I've unlocked bootloader and made root by Nexus Root Toolkit. Is it enough to install tethering mod on my tablet?

If I understand everything. After I download this file, I have to shut down my tablet and next active it pushing volume up + volume down + power. And finally choose good option to install this mod? Am I right? Can anybody talk through this operation?

Thanks for answer and sorry for languege

Greetings.

prasetyo12p1

Mar 25, 2012
installed successfully on my Nexus running official Lollipop. here's my method:

1. do a full wipe (I don't think this is necessary but I prefer to wipe first) :D
2. root and install custom recovery automatically using Nexus Root Toolkit
3. install Titanium Backup to remove Google Play Books, Movies+TV and Newsstand
4. Final check the system storage using free "Quick System Info PRO" app to ensure I have more than 6MB free space (I got about 15MB after removed three app on step 3)
5. copy the right zip files from page one to my Nexus
6. reboot recovery - install - choose the zip - swipe to zip - wipe cache dalvik - reboot system
7. done! tether works perfectly. don't know about the SMS compability (since I'm not using my Nexus to send texts). :p

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Hi Adams!
Could you kindly make a zip for JDQ39 as well?
AFAIK Jellybean didn't require anything special for SMS, you just had to install a client. Tethering still required a mod though.

If you're happily on Jellybean and not planning to upgrade - you may as well install Xposed (not the new alpha version, just the regular one) and then install & activate the SMS & Tethering Xposed module.

naeco

Dec 17, 2008
AFAIK Jellybean didn't require anything special for SMS, you just had to install a client. Tethering still required a mod though.

If you're happily on Jellybean and not planning to upgrade - you may as well install Xposed (not the new alpha version, just the regular one) and then install & activate the SMS & Tethering Xposed module.

I have xPosed and tried it, but the module only supports KK and higher.

The mms.apk installed itself just fine but only SMS working, not MMS.

I even downloaded messenger.apk that Google recently released to replace the old SMS app but it's not even working. Messenger only receives SMS, it does not allow sending.

Vency77

Apr 5, 2012
Plovdiv
The provided zips will certainly NOT work with 5.1, its different framework and will mostly get you in a bootloop.
I tried editing the new framework-res myself (there is a latest snapshot version of apktool that works with 5.1), but I got no luck and got in bootloop too. The problem is either in that there is some new array (tethering_apn or smth?), either my whole moding was wrong, or I messed the compiling and signing.
This will for sure be worked out quickly when 5.1 for Nexus 7 2013 rolls out, if someone here does not make it before (I should look into it after the holidays too).
Cheers :cowboy:

Last edited:
Reactions: almdroid and d0gXxX

kdoul

Dec 28, 2006
Athens
The provided zips will certainly NOT work with 5.1, its different framework and will mostly get you in a bootloop.
I tried editing the new framework-res myself (there is a latest snapshot version of apktool that works with 5.1), but I got no luck and got in bootloop too. The problem is either in that there is some new array (tethering_apn or smth?), either my whole moding was wrong, or I messed the compiling and signing.
This will for sure be worked out quickly when 5.1 for Nexus 7 2013 rolls out, if someone here does not make it before (I should look into it after the holidays too).
Cheers :cowboy:

I edited framework-res with apktool snapshot and it works. Did you copy the META-INF folder and AndroidManifest.xml after compiling?
Like other AOSP 5.1 roms however, I cant get anything to connect to the internet through the wifi hotspot. Maybe I am forgetting to change something else on framework-res?
Anyway, I found out a workaround with iptables to forward the packets and make it work for me.
I will attach my edited framework-res so you can check if it works for you.

Attachments

• 5_1_wifi_tether.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:

kdoul

Dec 28, 2006
Athens
I see the zip I uploaded has 94 views (at this time) and nobody has complained so far. Is it working? Should I create another thread so it becomes more accessible? I don't think op will be updated anytime soon...

Reactions: Masteryoda_

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone