[MOD][5.0.2/4.4.x] SMS and WiFi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G (2012)

Search This thread

jarusss

Apr 3, 2014
GuyAdams: do you know something? I have update my N7 to Lollipop, but without tether it's useless and I don't know should I wait for flash or not ;)

almdroid

Jul 14, 2011
Wifi Hotspot works perfect . But you have to make room on your system partition before flashing. I deleted Maps and Chrome cuz you use the updates anyway.
Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA mobile app

Reactions: GuyAdams

d4md

Jul 29, 2013
Wifi Hotspot works perfect . But you have to make room on your system partition before flashing. I deleted Maps and Chrome cuz you use the updates anyway.
Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA mobile app

what do you mean? I freshly installed the 5.0.2 factory image. how'd you flash the tether zip on your end?

Thanks

d4md

Jul 29, 2013
Finally Got it to Work!

After flashing 5.02 only 1 meg is free on your system partition. After rooting .4 megs are free. You cannot flash a 5 meg zip to a 0.4 meg partition.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Thanks for the help! Fresh installed factory 5.0.2, then rooted, get all apps and user data restored, then downgraded GMaps and/or Chrome to release disk space on the system partition (as recommended, get at least 6MB free), then flashed the zip. Now it works great but don't expect the tethering option to appear in the notification tray. It has to be activated via a shortcut or going to the settings menu.

PS: use a system info app to know how much space you have in your system partition.

joopsx

Mar 5, 2011
Hong Kong
Could you mind to delete the link of LRG22? Many of us have infinite bootlooooooping

Ok restore your backups and I'll take a look see what I can find.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

I m using Tilapia, should I need to flash 2b-N72012Wifi-5.0.2-Hotspotmod-with3Gmodem? Is it safe? GuyAdams' one make mine bootlooooping

Update For the Nexus 7 Wi-Fi Lollipop 5.0.2

See above post for details. I decided to add this post instead of just editing the past above, and the reason is to make this point: I've found that it is better to Wipe Cache after flashing this. Otherwise system apps will force close. TWRP gives you the option to Wipe Cache/Dalvik right after flashing the zip. I suggest you use that option and wipe cache. This will trigger the Android is upgrading optimizing apps dialog, which in retrospect makes sense to bring the apps in line with the new framework.

Last edited:

d4md

Jul 29, 2013
Could you mind to delete the link of LRG22? Many of us have infinite bootlooooooping

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

I m using Tilapia, should I need to flash 2b-N72012Wifi-5.0.2-Hotspotmod-with3Gmodem? Is it safe? GuyAdams' one make mine bootlooooping

almdroid's solution works. You have to free up space in your system partition. Download the Quick System Info PRO app and run it. You'll see a field named 'System Storage'. You should have at least 6MB+ free to flash the zip GuyAdams' made. You'll have to downgrade/uninstall updates on one or more of your GApps (Maps, Chrome, GMail, etc.) to free the space. Check your Quick System Info PRO app again to see if you have the required space before flashing the zip.

After flashing, update your GApps again.

Reactions: joopsx

Tarlabgab

Aug 26, 2010
Can I just extract framework-res.apk and
Code:
ADB push framework-res.apk /system/framework/
Should anyone try that. I myself am too tired with bootloop.

TimoSorvoja

Feb 12, 2015
SMS feature disabled in Hangouts (5.0.2)

Hi,
I just flashed Lollipop and SMS Wifi Tethering patch and wondered why Hangouts does not show or send SMS's despite being the default app. It seems this feature is disabled. Correct if I'm wrong.

SMS still works with other SMS clients.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
almdroid's solution works. You have to free up space in your system partition. Download the Quick System Info PRO app and run it. You'll see a field named 'System Storage'. You should have at least 6MB+ free to flash the zip GuyAdams' made. You'll have to downgrade/uninstall updates on one or more of your GApps (Maps, Chrome, GMail, etc.) to free the space. Check your Quick System Info PRO app again to see if you have the required space before flashing the zip.

After flashing, update your GApps again.

"Uninstall updates" won't do the trick. All that does is remove the updated version from your data partition while leaving the one that's taking up space in your system partition.

What you'd want to do is pick one of those apps that has already been updated (so there is a copy of the newest apk in /data/app) and then remove its apk from /system/app. If Titanium Backup is working well enough for you, you could try "Convert to user app" which will remove it from /system while ensuring it remains operational in /data.

Reactions: Tarlabgab

rajeshrakky

Apr 28, 2009
Sms not working

Hi,
I just flashed Lollipop and SMS Wifi Tethering patch and wondered why Hangouts does not show or send SMS's despite being the default app. It seems this feature is disabled. Correct if I'm wrong.

SMS still works with other SMS clients.

For me too Sms not working in Hangout previously it working good in kitkat 4.4 but not now..

i use Titanium back up to delete map and chrome
Open Titanium back up and click Backup/restore
click chrome > click uninstall
do the same for map
and i have 26 MB space in system rom i reboot in to recovery and flash the zip file and wifi teethering is working but not sms even i select Default sms app is hangout it cannot send or receive sms

Tarlabgab

Aug 26, 2010
"Uninstall updates" won't do the trick. All that does is remove the updated version from your data partition while leaving the one that's taking up space in your system partition.

What you'd want to do is pick one of those apps that has already been updated (so there is a copy of the newest apk in /data/app) and then remove its apk from /system/app. If Titanium Backup is working well enough for you, you could try "Convert to user app" which will remove it from /system while ensuring it remains operational in /data.

I moved 7-MB Music2.apk which I rarely use from /system/app to some other place and checked for system space to make sure. The flashing went well without any issue.
BTW Music app still can be open even I didn't move it back.:good:

TimoSorvoja

Feb 12, 2015
Those APKs that are in /system are "initial" versions. After update those become obsolete because updated APKs are stored in /data. Correct me IF I'm wrong. This is new stuff for me too.

Top Liked Posts