• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD][7/5/2011]Camera Mod - Power Button for Shutter (and more!)

Search This thread

knyghtryda

Jan 13, 2011
Well, after moving from roms on the Captivate with all their camera mods I began to miss having an actual shutter button on the Charge. I thought this would be a good point for me to dive into android dev/hacking and so I whipped up a modded camera.apk with the power shutter mod. I would like to thank GizmoDroid on the Samsung Fascinate forum for writing an awesome tutorial on how he did this mod.

v0.2
Removed low battery check (by nitroglycerine33) Install via CWM.
http://www.mediafire.com/?rx07byzc006ip8t

v0.1
Initial Test Release. Shutter/AF function for Power button.

Future updates
Other buttons for shutter (search, menu)

Old Installation instructions (using root explorer)
1. Copy my Camera.apk to your sdcard
2. Using Root explorer (or any file browser) navigate to /system/app and copy your current Camera.apk to somewhere safe as a backup, or rename it to camera.apk.bak (root explorer only)
3. Using root explorer (or adb) copy my Camera.apk to /system/app and overwrite the existing file

If anything goes wrong, simply copy your backed up Camera.apk back to /system/app, or remove the new Camera.apk and restore your Camera.apk.bak

Attachments

• Camera.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,478
Last edited:

2scampy

Apr 25, 2011
Works for me. Thanks! I changed the owner to root, and set permissions a la swapping out swype themes before testing tho, so it was rw-r--r-- again. unnecessary? Altered beast as well

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Jack$on

May 27, 2010
Charlotte
Is it possible to eliminate the power button / move it to another button?

One of the biggest (pretty much only) complaint is the power button on the side of the Charge.

I am use to having the power button on top of the phone.

I am always hitting the power button by mistake. What a pain.

It would be nice to move it to the search button. :rolleyes:

Thx for your input

czahrt

Jan 8, 2008
plain Rooted ee4

Worked great on plain old rooted ee4, in fact it fixed the problem I had where the pic would not show up for review after installing rooted ee4. Thanks! :)

pH_

Jun 20, 2011
New York City
Cannot download

When I try and download from android browser I get:
Cannot download. The conten is not supported on the phone.​
I know there are an infinite number of other ways to get this file but does anyone know why the browser refuses to download it?

thac23

Jun 10, 2011
Is it possible to eliminate the power button / move it to another button?

One of the biggest (pretty much only) complaint is the power button on the side of the Charge.

I am use to having the power button on top of the phone.

I am always hitting the power button by mistake. What a pain.

It would be nice to move it to the search button. :rolleyes:

Thx for your input

Agreed, I'd love for it to work on the search button.

yutzybrian

Feb 21, 2009
When I try and download from android browser I get:
Cannot download. The conten is not supported on the phone.​
I know there are an infinite number of other ways to get this file but does anyone know why the browser refuses to download it?

Use Astro File Manager and go to Preferences then check the box next to "Enable Browser Download". You will then be able to download any file. Stock android restricts it for some reason.

Haloman800

Dec 16, 2010
About to test... can't wait!

I have a request, could you do another hack to the apk so we can use the camera at any battery level? Thanks!

Cruiserdude

Jul 13, 2010
Awesome, works great! I just downloaded the .apk through Dolphin on my phone, and used Root Explorer to rename the old camera.apk and move the new file from my download folder to /system/app, took a total of 2 minutes, making it actually easier to do than a zip for a competent user, considering I didn't have to reboot my phone.

commuterbox

Sep 2, 2010
Does not work with stock rooted ee4

I tried many times but not working for me I used root explorer to replace the camera.apk file but it would just take off my icon not be able to access my camera. Also tried just deleting the original camera.apk then paste the new camera.apk but still no luck. Thank you I really want to get this mod. Please help

nitroglycerine33

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 29, 2010
IA
I tried many times but not working for me I used root explorer to replace the camera.apk file but it would just take off my icon not be able to access my camera. Also tried just deleting the original camera.apk then paste the new camera.apk but still no luck. Thank you I really want to get this mod. Please help

You will need to remove the camera.odex file to get it to work with a stock ee4 build. I would make a backup of the odex file just in case before you try it out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, after moving from roms on the Captivate with all their camera mods I began to miss having an actual shutter button on the Charge. I thought this would be a good point for me to dive into android dev/hacking and so I whipped up a modded camera.apk with the power shutter mod. I would like to thank GizmoDroid on the Samsung Fascinate forum for writing an awesome tutorial on how he did this mod.

v0.2
    Removed low battery check (by nitroglycerine33) Install via CWM.

v0.1
    Initial Test Release. Shutter/AF function for Power button.

Future updates
    Other buttons for shutter (search, menu)

Old Installation instructions (using root explorer)
    1. Copy my Camera.apk to your sdcard
    2. Using Root explorer (or any file browser) navigate to /system/app and copy your current Camera.apk to somewhere safe as a backup, or rename it to camera.apk.bak (root explorer only)
    3. Using root explorer (or adb) copy my Camera.apk to /system/app and overwrite the existing file

If anything goes wrong, simply copy your backed up Camera.apk back to /system/app, or remove the new Camera.apk and restore your Camera.apk.bak
    @knyghtryda

I have modified your existing camera mod to remove the low battery level warning on EE4 builds. Here is a zip that can be flashed in recovery as well. Feel free to add it to the OP.

Forma

hey there.... can i hav the link for the tutorial to mod my camera.... i had followed the tutorial by gizmodroid but that is totally differnt wen compared to my camera.apk so if possible could u mod my camera.apk or could u give me the link for the tutorial
    hey there.... can i hav the link for the tutorial to mod my camera.... i had followed the tutorial by gizmodroid but that is totally differnt wen compared to my camera.apk so if possible could u mod my camera.apk or could u give me the link for the tutorial

Download the modified camera.apk and decompile it. Compare the smali files between an unmodified version and the modified version. I believe the same smali files are edited, just that you need a couple different changes.
    Download the modified camera.apk and decompile it. Compare the smali files between an unmodified version and the modified version. I believe the same smali files are edited, just that you need a couple different changes.

yup i agree with wat hav u told but i own a samsung galaxy fit and the smali files are way different than compared to modified files.... i've tried everythin possible.... and tat is y seekin help to all dev's :( :(
    only the one who's experienced in modding camera.apk can do this.... i'm ready to even upload the camera.apk from my mobile if one is ready to give it a try :) :)