[MOD] 720p recording ported from Hancocks ROM

Search This thread

makakam

Mar 6, 2011
Anyone who didn't experience huge battery drain after using this mod? I tried different sbfs but it (the battery drain) was there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BEFORE YOU READ ANY FURTHER, THIS MOD/PORT (WHATEVER) WILL PROPABLY ONLY WORK ON RED LENSED DEFYS! SORRY BUT IT SEEMS TO BE A HARDWARE THING! AND THERE ALSO MIGHT BE THE SLIGHT POSSIBILITY THAT IT IS LIMITED TO 3.4.2_145-003 VERSION ONLY! (AT LEAST THIS IS THE VERSION HANCOCKS ROM IS BASED ON AND THE SAME I TESTED IT WITH)

to make it short, i (kind of) ported the 720p recording capability of hankocks rom 1.11 to pays rom 3.3 (based on 3.4.2_145-003).
    first of all, I AM NO DEVELOPER! so all props go to hankock! what i did was the following:

i took all the libs from hancocks rom which had something to do with camera & encoding (as you can see, not a very devlike procedure) and put them into my system/libs. then i took media_profiles.xml from hancocks rom and put it to my system/etc (of course i changed back permissions afterwards). first i used hancocks patched stock camera app and merged my and his build.prop so that the whole thing would run on my rom. and it worked perfectly. but this solution has 2 drawbacks:
    1. hancock used 3gpp container, which is imho inferior to mp4
    2. the audio encoding is very bad (amr_nb, 8kbps)
    then i found out, that if i used lgcamera instead i would't need to change build.prop anymore and it still worked fine. besides of that, lgcamera is much more customizable settingwise. and by not modifying build.prop, i hope to enhance compatibility of this mod to other froyo versions.

and that is what my package contains:

-all libs with "enc", "cam", "camera" in therr names from hancocks rom (i know, i'm an amateur :))
    -media_profiles.xml from hancocks rom
    -lgcamera 5.25 (free) btw. it works with the latest pro version from the market too

please use tenfars clockwork mod or other custom recovery to flash this update.zip. the built in original recovery won't work (doesn't accept signature). BEFORE YOU START, DON'T FORGET TO MAKE A NADROID BACKUP!!!

here you find an untouched video sample: http://forum.kut-btu.de/video/VIDEO00017.mp4
    (1280x720@23,8fps, mp4-container, video: m4v@~10000kbit/s, audio: aac@62kbit/s, 44khz)

i know, seems very choppy but this is because i was walking constantly. framerate is quite good. my defy runs at 1,2ghz but i tested 720p rec @ 800mhz too and it worked the same. it might be necessary to apply sdcard read_ahead_kb patch (mine runs at 2560 kb instead of 128) to avoid slow framerate effect which could be observed on hancocks rom.

sadly, recording with .h264 codec is still not possible (and i doubt it ever will). hence the resulting video is no match for the 720p recordings of e.g. the samsung wave but imho it is still a lot better than stock and looks almost great :)

now i leave it to the real devs to optimize this, whatever it is.

DISCLAIMER:

I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THIS MODIFICATION!

/edit:

mod works fine on the following froyo versions:

-3.4.2-117
    -3.4.2-145 (as the mod comes from this version)
    -3.4.2-155

mod doesn't work on:

-3.4.3-11

strange behavior detected:

after recording in 720p dmesg shows:

Timed out waiting for DSP suspend 3
    pm_op():platform_pm_suspend+0x0/0x54 returns -1
    PM:Device C6410 failed to suspend:error -1
    PM:Some devices failed to suspend

don't know, which impact this has on battery drain. after fresh reboot and w/o recording in 720p this problem doesn't show up.
    It works with Barebones 1.4... when im recording it seems little bit choppy, but playing it in MoboPlayer is good (smooth, maybe not 30 fps but its good!).
    Thank you!
    But official Froyo is near, just wait, it should have 720p recording for EVERYONE.

what leads you to this assumption?
    The update.zip is not working for me :(
    Have red lens (at least it looks orange?)
    Using 3.4.3-11 with LiquidArc ROM...
    No HD video resolution :(
    Please someone port it to 3.4.3-11!! lol

in german forums we found out, that 3.4.3-11 doesn't work with this mod. sorry. so far only 3.4.2-145 (the version the mod comes from) and 3.4.2-155 are confirmed to work. has anybody managed it to aktivate 720p recording on other versions besides of the three above?

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk