• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[MOD] A100 Peformance Enhancing build.prop for CM9 / ICS 4.0.4

Search This thread
Dec 13, 2010
I just tried this with the vanilla JB and it didn't work. I clicked the link. It DL'd too a folder. I renamed and moved the old build.prop (just to make sure of no issues). Renamed and moved the vanilla to /system. Rebooted too recovery wiped cache. And dalvix. Then rebooted. Bootani finished and then the blank screen. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my A100 using xda app-developers app

linuxsociety

Dec 18, 2010
Southern Kentucky
I just tried this with the vanilla JB and it didn't work. I clicked the link. It DL'd too a folder. I renamed and moved the old build.prop (just to make sure of no issues). Renamed and moved the vanilla to /system. Rebooted too recovery wiped cache. And dalvix. Then rebooted. Bootani finished and then the blank screen. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Boot back to recovery, go to Advanced, and File Manager, go to /system/build.prop change permissions to 755, reboot and see if it works.

Dec 13, 2010
Will try. Thanks for the speedy reply.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

I rebooted. Advanced. No file manager. I use cwm. And it doesn't have it. Anything else?
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

linuxsociety

Dec 18, 2010
Southern Kentucky
Will try. Thanks for the speedy reply.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

I rebooted. Advanced. No file manager. I use cwm. And it doesn't have it. Anything else?

Quick way to do it would be get booted to the black screen, connect usb cable to your computer (which needs ADB installed). then do the following:
Code:
adb root;adb shell

Then at the adb shell prompt do the following:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
chmod 755 /system/build.prop
reboot

If you prefer to use CWM, I'm not really a user of it, so I can't tell you a certain way to change permissions from within CWM, but it should have a similar option somewhere, but not 100% sure of exactly where at (or if it even exists).

linuxsociety

Dec 18, 2010
Southern Kentucky
can you point me in the right direction? if i cant find it twrp may be in my future

Are you avoiding the command line for a reason? Don't let it scare you!! Nah seriously, its a quick and easy way to do it, and you might as well grab adb and fastboot now because sooner or later you are going to have to use them for something, maybe not your A100 but you will have a need for them, so go ahead and use them to remount /system read-write, and fix the permissions on the build.prop. Oh now that I said that, look in CWM for a "fix permissions" option, it may do the trick too ;) Need I ask why so many people use CWM when they have the option of TWRP which as a much easier to use interface, and not to mention a SAFER interface?? I never have understood that..

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2010
Are you avoiding the command line for a reason? Don't let it scare you!! Nah seriously, its a quick and easy way to do it, and you might as well grab adb and fastboot now because sooner or later you are going to have to use them for something, maybe not your A100 but you will have a need for them, so go ahead and use them to remount /system read-write, and fix the permissions on the build.prop. Oh now that I said that, look in CWM for a "fix permissions" option, it may do the trick too ;) Need I ask why so many people use CWM when they have the option of TWRP which as a much easier to use interface, and not to mention a SAFER interface?? I never have understood that..
lol....kind of scared a little. i kind of new to the whole IT type of work. i was never this involved in electronics until my IT friend told me about jailbreaking my iphone(a while back), since then i have seen the android light and been playing with this type of stuff ever since but still a little afraid of ADB/command line. as for CWM, its just the first one i used on my OG Droid and i now it, but the more i read the more twrp and amon ra are the better recovery. i will switch just as soon as soon as i can figure out how or really just get the courage to try.i tried the fix permissions late night and it didnt help. some time today(while at work im sure) i will try those command lines you mentioned. thanks for your help, much thanks.

Last edited:

linuxsociety

Dec 18, 2010
Southern Kentucky
lol....kind of scared a little. i kind of new to the whole IT type of work. i was never this involved in electronics until my IT friend told me about jailbreaking my iphone(a while back), since then i have seen the android light and been playing with this type of stuff ever since but still a little afraid of ADB/command line. as for CWM, its just the first one i used on my OG Droid and i now it, but the more i read the more twrp and amon ra are the better recovery. i will switch just as soon as soon as i can figure out how or really just get the courage to try.i tried the fix permissions late night and it didnt help. some time today(while at work im sure) i will try those command lines you mentioned. thanks for your help, much thanks.

I understand what you mean, but think of it this way.. Typing a few commands is easier and more straight forward than digging for things that aren't there in a user interface or sometimes they are there and you spend 20 min trying to find them, when you could have just typed 5 or 6 words in a command line. And using the command line is actually safer than a touch / button interface - because 9 times out of 10 you will get a 'bad command or filename' if something goes wrong, if you accidentally touch/press the wrong button it don't spit out errors or warnings, it's too late! ;)

Reactions: thedroidmonkey
Dec 13, 2010
Quick way to do it would be get booted to the black screen, connect usb cable to your computer (which needs ADB installed). then do the following:
Code:
adb root;adb shell

Then at the adb shell prompt do the following:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
chmod 755 /system/build.prop
reboot

If you prefer to use CWM, I'm not really a user of it, so I can't tell you a certain way to change permissions from within CWM, but it should have a similar option somewhere, but not 100% sure of exactly where at (or if it even exists).

ok so i finally got the chance to try this. i rebooted to the black screen, plug in usb, and open adb in a folder that contained the exe file. typed adb root into the command prompt and it is taking forever for anything to happen. it just said restarting adbd in root. does this action take a while? i waited about 15 minutes and nothing changed so i hit ctrl c to get out of it. any ideas? im trying man.

Edit: i added twrp to my a100 using adb(so proud) and then looked back at the post where you told me to go into the file manager and change the permissions to 755. so i went into the /system and there is only /bin nothing else? do i change the permissions of the /system ? im so close, but so far away!!

Last edited:

linuxsociety

Dec 18, 2010
Southern Kentucky
ok so i finally got the chance to try this. i rebooted to the black screen, plug in usb, and open adb in a folder that contained the exe file. typed adb root into the command prompt and it is taking forever for anything to happen. it just said restarting adbd in root. does this action take a while? i waited about 15 minutes and nothing changed so i hit ctrl c to get out of it. any ideas? im trying man.

Edit: i added twrp to my a100 using adb(so proud) and then looked back at the post where you told me to go into the file manager and change the permissions to 755. so i went into the /system and there is only /bin nothing else? do i change the permissions of the /system ? im so close, but so far away!!

No just build.prop, you will find build.prop in the file manager and select it, then it will give you options like remove, copy, chmod 755, etc. choose 755, and then reboot after doing that and see if that helps.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
No just build.prop, you will find build.prop in the file manager and select it, then it will give you options like remove, copy, chmod 755, etc. choose 755, and then reboot after doing that and see if that helps.

Mount system first or you won't see it in there which is why you only saw bin before.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II.

Dec 13, 2010
Mount system first or you won't see it in there which is why you only saw bin before.

Once you hit the mount button it takes me to a place with 4 mounts. I check the data and cache so they read unmount and then press the little terminal icon?
Sorry this is my first experience with twrp.

Edit: my impatience will one day be the death of me, but i got to the place where i could change the permissions of the build.prop. did it. and then rebooted and this time i got passed the boot ani and then black screen........

Last edited:

linuxsociety

Dec 18, 2010
Southern Kentucky
The 4.1.1 buildprop killed the tablet ui in the latest cm10 release. I had to re-add the 'ro.sys.tabletui=1' line to bring it back.

Build.prop's haven't been updated since 'ro.sys.tabletui=1' was implemented into pio / wds new cm10 builds. I will update OP with new files soon, but thanks for puting a solution up for others who might run into this thread and try it on the newer builds.

Reactions: Romman0

Romman0

May 7, 2012
Build.prop's haven't been updated since 'ro.sys.tabletui=1' was implemented into pio / wds new cm10 builds. I will update OP with new files soon, but thanks for puting a solution up for others who might run into this thread and try it on the newer builds.

Ah, I completely overlooked the last update date. I'm a little behind and I finally got the tweaking bug again. :) I'll be checking your customized ROM also. Thanks for your work, Sir.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **Latest Working Revision is Rev-0.4 ** 07/28/12
    **Now optional A500 build.prop for extra games/apps from Play Store**
    **Thanks das_webos_transformer for testing 4.0.3 and submitting working tweaked 4.0.3 build.prop!! **

**UPDATE** Rev-0.4 For 4.1.1 Jelly Bean << NEW>>

This build.prop is specifically made for ICS and Jelly Bean - has been tested working and verified to improve performance. A500 mod now is working great.

I've been working on getting my A100 to smoking speed / performance and with my custom build.prop for ICS in combination with ezTerry's custom kernel, I think I have achieved the goal!

Yea Yea, So why another build.prop on xda? Well I was looking through the forums and noticed that there isn't much posted for ICS, there are HC tweaks, but the ones that ARE posted for ICS seem to fail.. I am confident that this build.prop will work as long as the person installing reads the instructions and information in this post thoroughly :good:

**EDIT 08/04/2012 - I was originally using the ezTerry kernel overclocked to 1.5 using the lulzactive governor, I am currently testing my own custom kernel that I haven't decided to release yet as I am still testing it myself before I publish - Before the build.prop, my AnTuTu Benchmark score was 6200, after the build.prop I get 7118, Both scores with ezTerry kernel and cm9 ; With stock kernel and stock rom score was <6000. So, that's just a benchmark.. -NO - The main thing is - you can actually feel the difference, and it is easily noticeable, so it's not just a benchmark thing! Here is what this build.prop does:

Enhancements:

*Faster Boot
    *Home Screen stored in Memory
    *WiFi Data rates increased
    *WiFi Scan rate decreased to preserve battery
    *Media and Image Quality increased
    *Disable verbose kernel logging (consumes less memory/battery)
    *HW Acceleration prioritized
    *Increased Window Manager / GUI events per second
    ...Overall Performance is definitely noticeable!

*Optional* the A500 hack has been tested and working with games and shows extra apps in Play Store see notes below.

File naming conventions:

>>Please choose your android release version in #.#.# <<<

build.prop-#.#.#-supertweak-a100-revX.X.txt == Tweaked version keeping device recognized as an A100
    build.prop-#.#.#-supertweak-a100-revX.X-A500 == Tweaked version tricking apps/system to think it is A500
    build.prop-#.#.#-vanilla-a100-revX.X-A500 == A500 trick with no enhancements or tweaks

**Thanks to das_webos_transformer for testing making necessary changes for cm9 4.0.3 release!**

How to install:

*Download the appropriate build.prop file attached below that you wish to test (see above naming conventions)
    *You must have root, and you must mount /System rw (use Root Explorer or similar tool)
    *Rename the attached file to: build.prop
    *Move the existing /System/build.prop to /System/build.prop.bak
    *Move the new file to /System/build.prop
    *Reboot to recovery - Wipe Cache - Wipe Dalvik - Reboot System <<Important!! It won't work if you don't do this step!
    *Wait for System to upgrade applications and Start to Home Screen. (initial boot takes a while, don't worry after this it wont)
    *Reboot again.. Enjoy the performance

**07/28/2012 - A500 build.prop for A100 device back up, tested and working with performance mods intact. Grab the file with revX.X-A500.txt at the end of the file name. This allows extra apps to show up in Play Store/Market and your device will be recognized as the A500 instead of A100. Please don't forget to Wipe Dalvik and Cache before booting. First boot will take a while to update the apps.

**07/28/2012 - If you used the Rev.03 file please update to Rev.04 there was a minor error in the previous build.prop relating to windowmgr max events per second, this had a big impact in the performance and should be fixed in Rev.04
    Jelly Bean 4.1.x build.prop is in the OP - personally tested and verified by me.. I also have been putting some effort into doing some kernel optimization for Jelly Bean for all of those people who liked the ezTerry kernel back when it was fresh. So far I have done the following:

*patched the kernel with code for compatibility with Tiny HAL in Jelly Bean with backwards compatibility with ICS
    *added all I/O schedulers including: bfq, cfq, deadline, and noop - default being 'deadline'
    *built in support for CIFS/SMB file systems, NTFS (write)
    *More cpu governors are built in including: interactive, ondemand, performance, powersave, userspace, lulzactive, and conservative
    *Optional Overclock up to 1504mhz, scaling ranges included are: 216, 312, 456, 608, 760, 816, 912, 1000, 1200, 1408, and 1504 - default is set to factory 1000Mhz

I haven't released the kernel yet as I want it thoroughly tested before hand, and I want to be sure all source changes are fully documented. Kernel Sources are based off CM9 A100/A500 Kernel, Nvidia Android 2.6.39.4 Tegra, Nvidia Android 3.1 (Grouper) - Thanks to eZterry for the original kernel that made so many happy - I just took it into my own hands to bring things up to date with better compatibility with ICS and JB.

Sorry if this seems to be vaporware, just want everyone testing my build.prop to know that I am currently putting more time and effort into the development of a better kernel at the moment and WILL keep my projects linked. Before I do release any zImages or sources I want everyone to be well aware that once they use my kernel that they can NOT report issues of any kind to CM9/10 developers (on the project pages) as the use of any kernel other than the one obtained with your ROM makes your device unsupported by the developer of your ROM!! If you have any issues with JB, ICS, or any ROM you use this kernel with, then you will need to report it on my kernel thread (which I haven't yet made, but once I do a release I will have the thread ready)

Have I already supercharger v6, sera compatiblly? Is it a script? That is what I have to install? I neither have kernel Ezterry, nor have intention of putting it with CM9. In all that you put the link, we will prove it ... a greeting and graces.

Hi and thanks for checking it out, it isn't a script, it just replaces the file that already exists in /System/build.prop

The file that is attached is made specifically for ICS 4.0.4, you DO NOT have to have eZterry's kernel for this to work, I have tested it only with his kernel (which allows overclocking to 1.5ghz and the use of BFQ I/O scheduler) and had great improvements on my A100. I would like to see how it works for you with your current setup if you are on 4.0.4 If it doesn't work then you just replace /System/build.prop with the file you backed up named /System/build.prop.bak

Don't forget to wipe cache and wipe dalvik :)

Thanks again
    62df3352-96f6-5c9a.jpg

all I did was change it to work for 4.0.3. I don't know any of the changes for ics, I learned and still learning on froyo and a little cm7. But the changes required for this took about 1 minute.

Not sure how to post an upload on xda. So https://www.box.com/shared/24e5b156fbf12858d946

Also added linpack score.

sent from my ICONia