[MOD][addon.d] Silent Camera

Search This thread

rmkilc

Nov 12, 2011
Vancouver, WA
www.rmkilc.com
This mod gets rid of the camera's shutter and video start/stop sounds. There are many easy ways to accomplish this, but the big advantage of this mod is it includes an addon.d script.

What is addon.d?
On some ROMs, like Cyanogenmod, there are scripts in /system/addon.d that run during a ROM update or flash. They can backup and restore system apps (like Gapps), or perform many other functions. This mod includes an addon.d script, so the mod is not lost during a ROM update! If your ROM doesn't support addon.d, this mod should still flash properly, but you won't benefit from addon.d.

Tested and Confirmed to work on:
I'm not even going to bother listing ROMs it works on, as this is such a simple mod, it should work on any AOSP based Android 4+ ROM, for virtually any device. Let us know if it works!

Install Instructions:
- Boot into recovery
- Flash Enable zip
- Reboot

Uninstall Instructions:
- Boot into recovery
- Flash Disable zip
- Reboot

Downloads:
Enable-SilentCamera-1.4.zip
Disable-SilentCamera-1.4.zip

Changelog:
Code:
1.4 - 2/20/13
- Renamed addon.d file (not an important update)

1.3 - 12/23/12
- Minor compatibility fixes

1.2 - 12/22/12
- Initial public release

DISCLAIMER:
This mod involves editing system files. Use at your own risk! Also please don't forget, before you report ROM related bugs in the ROM developer thread, you should remove this mod to make sure the issue is not caused by this mod!

Last edited:

Traviizter

May 29, 2012
Fareham
Nice... would it be possible to use the volume keys as the shutter key in the camera app?
How would one go about doing this without using a 3rd party camera app like Camera Zoom...?

Radimus

Dec 1, 2006
Tampa
Putting the phone on silent does not permanently disable the camera sound...

Not to be nitpicky, but there are several ways to do this and flashing zips are the most troublesome method.

• putting the phone on silent
  • tasker task to put the phone on silent when the camera is launched
  • rename or delete the file with a root browser
  • change the permissions of the file with a root browser (to 0000)

Don't get me wrong, I am all kinds of appreciative in your efforts to identify this sound, but flashing zips is probably the most drawn out and laborious method for this.

Yes you have to have root to do most of these, but who has a custom recovery installed that doesn't already have root?

Reactions: aini12aian

rmkilc

Nov 12, 2011
Vancouver, WA
www.rmkilc.com
Not to be nitpicky, but there are several ways to do this and flashing zips are the most troublesome method.

Don't get me wrong, I am all kinds of appreciative in your efforts to identify this sound, but flashing zips is probably the most drawn out and laborious method for this.

Yes you have to have root to do most of these, but who has a custom recovery installed that doesn't already have root?

I think you are missing the point. The entire point of this mod is it supports addon.d. Manually deleting or renaming the files does work, but the next time you flash a ROM update, your sounds will be back. With this mod and addon.d, when you flash a ROM update, it automatically renames the sound files for you.

Not everyone wants to buy tasker. Not everyone wants to remember to put their phone on silent before snapping a photo. But if those options work better for you, don't use this mod! This mod is just another of the many ways to accomplish this. Nobody said it's the only way...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

fzr-r4

Sep 7, 2010
Berkeley

this is one of the least laborious methods if you flash ROMs on a frequent basis and don't use tasker. yes, you can put your phone on silent, but this silences the phone regardless. the root browser methods may not survive flashing new ROMs unless you prepare a script like the OP did.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Reactions: rmkilc

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY

1. I don't like the shutter sound. I don't want to go through a hassle of putting the phone on silent everytime. What happens if I'm really super tired and the shutter goes off by accident?
2. I don't want to download a app when I can just flash a ZIP ONCE and be done with it.
3. I don't want to rename or delete the file everytime I flash a ROM. OP added a script so it stays there after each ROM update flash (only time you have to reflash it is when you wipe factory and start over with a new ROM)
4. This is more of a hassle than flashing a file once.

Flashing a zip isn't troublesome at all, especially when you have to flash it once. If flashing one zip in your lifetime of that rom is troublesome, you shouldn't even be flashing anything on your phone.
Great work OP. Very helpful until CM adds a toggle for silent camera (if it ever gets added back in).

Some people flash a custom recovery and are not rooted. It's the only way to manually apply OTAs (from Galaxy Nexus).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This mod gets rid of the camera's shutter and video start/stop sounds. There are many easy ways to accomplish this, but the big advantage of this mod is it includes an addon.d script.

What is addon.d?
    On some ROMs, like Cyanogenmod, there are scripts in /system/addon.d that run during a ROM update or flash. They can backup and restore system apps (like Gapps), or perform many other functions. This mod includes an addon.d script, so the mod is not lost during a ROM update! If your ROM doesn't support addon.d, this mod should still flash properly, but you won't benefit from addon.d.

Tested and Confirmed to work on:
    I'm not even going to bother listing ROMs it works on, as this is such a simple mod, it should work on any AOSP based Android 4+ ROM, for virtually any device. Let us know if it works!

Install Instructions:
    - Boot into recovery
    - Flash Enable zip
    - Reboot

Uninstall Instructions:
    - Boot into recovery
    - Flash Disable zip
    - Reboot

Downloads:
    Enable-SilentCamera-1.4.zip
    Disable-SilentCamera-1.4.zip

Changelog:
    Code:
    1.4 - 2/20/13
    - Renamed addon.d file (not an important update)

1.3 - 12/23/12
    - Minor compatibility fixes

1.2 - 12/22/12
    - Initial public release

DISCLAIMER:
    This mod involves editing system files. Use at your own risk! Also please don't forget, before you report ROM related bugs in the ROM developer thread, you should remove this mod to make sure the issue is not caused by this mod!

I think you are missing the point. The entire point of this mod is it supports addon.d. Manually deleting or renaming the files does work, but the next time you flash a ROM update, your sounds will be back. With this mod and addon.d, when you flash a ROM update, it automatically renames the sound files for you.

Not everyone wants to buy tasker. Not everyone wants to remember to put their phone on silent before snapping a photo. But if those options work better for you, don't use this mod! This mod is just another of the many ways to accomplish this. Nobody said it's the only way...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    It is just easier to delete those camera sounds from /system/media/ui/

:good:
    It is just easier to delete those camera sounds from /system/media/ui/

:good:

But when you flash the next nightly, they will be back again. Since this mod uses addon.d, it "sticks" through rom updates.That's really the whole point here.

1. I don't like the shutter sound. I don't want to go through a hassle of putting the phone on silent everytime. What happens if I'm really super tired and the shutter goes off by accident?
    2. I don't want to download a app when I can just flash a ZIP ONCE and be done with it.
    3. I don't want to rename or delete the file everytime I flash a ROM. OP added a script so it stays there after each ROM update flash (only time you have to reflash it is when you wipe factory and start over with a new ROM)
    4. This is more of a hassle than flashing a file once.

Flashing a zip isn't troublesome at all, especially when you have to flash it once. If flashing one zip in your lifetime of that rom is troublesome, you shouldn't even be flashing anything on your phone.
    Great work OP. Very helpful until CM adds a toggle for silent camera (if it ever gets added back in).

Some people flash a custom recovery and are not rooted. It's the only way to manually apply OTAs (from Galaxy Nexus).
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone