• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD] Amazfit Stratos US and CN | Disable new key mapping (Unlocked bootloader only)

Search This thread

Saratoga79

Jan 12, 2013
Ordizia Capital
Amazfit Stratos US/Global/International. Disable new key/button mapping
With this mod you can disable the new key/button mapping introduced by Huami on latest US firmware (and in CN firmware too since a month ago), and restore the old one.
You will be able to enable again the new key/button mapping if you like it.

This mod may work for further firmware updates.

Requirements
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • Installed adb/fastboot drivers
  • Your watch needs to be running latest firmware with new key mapping

OTA updates
If you have this mod installed, and you are about to update to latest OTA it will fail to update, so previously you need to revert the mod using NEW.bat or enabling the new key mapping if you use the manual method and then update using OTA as usual.

Bugs
If you use the alarm function on your watch, after stopping or snoozing any alarm will re-enable the new key mapping. Best solution is to reboot your watch to get back the old key mapping, but you will have to do this every time an alarm triggers.

Downloads
Windows .exe installer
.exe Installer by capara @1mmortal.
Download the installer file, run it and follow all instructions there.

Windows .bat installer
Key mapping | Mirror
Download the .zip file, unzip it, connect your watch to the PC and if you use a Windows PC, run:
  • OLD.bat to disable new key mapping
  • NEW.bat to enable new key mapping

Manual method installation
Manual commands to disable the new key/button mapping
Open a command or terminal windows in the same path where you unzipped the file downloaded before
0. Check for watch connection
Code:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices
1. Reboot into fastboot mode
Code:
adb shell reboot bootloader
2. Boot temporal root
Code:
fastboot boot root\boot-US-adb-root.img
3. Wait for 10-15 seconds and check for watch connection
Code:
adb devices
4. Apply the mod
Code:
adb root
adb remount rw
adb shell busybox "sed -i 's:prop.keyfeature.five=.*:prop.keyfeature.five=[B][COLOR="Red"]false[/COLOR][/B]:' /system/build.prop
adb remount ro
5. Reboot your watch
Code:
adb reboot
adb kill-server

Manual commands to enable the new key/button mapping
I don't see any reason for doing this but...
Open a command or terminal windows in the same path where you unzipped the file downloaded before
10. Check for watch connection
Code:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices
11. Reboot into fastboot mode
Code:
12. Boot temporal root
Code:
13. Wait for 10-15 seconds and check for watch connection
Code:
adb devices
14. Apply the mod
Code:
adb root
adb remount rw
adb shell busybox "sed -i 's:prop.keyfeature.five=.*:prop.keyfeature.five=[B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]true[/COLOR][/B]:' /system/build.prop
adb remount ro
15. Reboot your watch
Code:
adb reboot
adb kill-server

Enjoy! All time key mapping.

Some commands may be a bit different depending on your PC OS, so let me know for any issue or guide update.

If you like my work, buy me a beer.

Last edited:

Fevves

Dec 1, 2011
Behind your screen...
So with this I can get the usual and older button press layout? Cool. I'll try it in 20...

Edit:

got stuck on temp. root:

C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\Stratos_2.3.8.0_key_mapping>fastboot boot root\boot-US-ad
b-root.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.349s]
booting...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 1.212s

I waited for more then a minute. Shall I repeat the same? What gives? Thanks.

Edit2:

got it working now... dunno why it wouldn't work on the first run though. I rebooted the watch itself and then followed step by step manually. the watch is booting... and.... IT IS WORKING!!! Yaiks! :D:highfive:

Last edited:
Reactions: Saratoga79

Kaudii

May 21, 2009
TriCity
Saratoga78 the control of buttons goes crazy after the set alarm on the watch becomes active, when the watch is turned off and on again, everything seems to work properly, unfortunately until the next alarm

Kaudii

May 21, 2009
TriCity
Unfortunately, this is true, I checked it on the CN roms, unfortunately it has to do with the new button control, there is no error on it. The last CN Rom on which it worked was 2.0.43.0

Fevves

Dec 1, 2011
Behind your screen...
this is working or not? Fevves said it worked and Kaudii said its not

For me it's working as I don't use the alarms (hidden). I tried sports activities, music, heart rate, compass etc and all is working as it should. Occasional long tap on the uppper button is returning to upper menu instead of returning to the WF (weather, settings etc, ) but mid button work instead as is working quite well.

saarakura

Jul 24, 2012
For me it's working as I don't use the alarms (hidden). I tried sports activities, music, heart rate, compass etc and all is working as it should. Occasional long tap on the uppper button is returning to upper menu instead of returning to the WF (weather, settings etc, ) but mid button work instead as is working quite well.

This problem with alarms....you dont use any alarms?

wsabg

Aug 4, 2018
Just installed - seems to work at least in terms of scrolling by buttons etc. Will try a short workout in a couple - if I don't edit or reply, everything is fine ;)

tresexti

Dec 1, 2016
On Chromebook

Is there a way to install this if i have a chromebook or do i have to get hold of a Windows laptop?

Dec 10, 2010
Hi.

I tried it now. I unlocked my bootloader succesfully and them I executed your script. As Fevves said it failed with

C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\Stratos_2.3.8.0_key_mapping> fastboot boot root\boot-US-ad
b-root.img
OKAY [ 0.349s]
booting...

I tried to contiue step by step. I got stuck in

> adb remount rw
remount of system failed: Permission denied
remount failed

Any idea?? Thanks

EDIT
I tried again and It failed too but with distinct message
OKAY [ 0.345s]
booting...
finished. total time: 1.205s

EDIT 2
I don't know how but... IT WORKS!!!! Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Fevves

Dec 1, 2011
Behind your screen...
How can I install this ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By following the OP?

If still unclear then do mind reading other explanatory threads that expain how to connect your watch to your WIN PC / MAC, ADB and you're set to do the OP procedure.

Do bear in mind you will have to have patience and guts to mod your android device if you never did so in the past.

Saratoga79

Jan 12, 2013
Ordizia Capital
New 2.3.9.0 OTA update issues

If you have this mod installed, and you are about to update to latest OTA it will fail to update, so previously you need to revert the mod using NEW.bat or enabling the new key mapping if you use the manual method and then update using OTA as usual.

Last edited:

andreluigo

Jun 1, 2013

After upgrading to version 2.3.9 the mod to change the operation buttons is not working. Did you upgrade it?
_____

Edit:
This https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/amazfit/global-stratos-2-3-9-0-offline-ota-t3900473 worked!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Amazfit Stratos US/Global/International. Disable new key/button mapping
    With this mod you can disable the new key/button mapping introduced by Huami on latest US firmware (and in CN firmware too since a month ago), and restore the old one.
    You will be able to enable again the new key/button mapping if you like it.

This mod may work for further firmware updates.

Requirements
    • Unlocked bootloader
    • Installed adb/fastboot drivers
    • Your watch needs to be running latest firmware with new key mapping

OTA updates

Bugs
    If you use the alarm function on your watch, after stopping or snoozing any alarm will re-enable the new key mapping. Best solution is to reboot your watch to get back the old key mapping, but you will have to do this every time an alarm triggers.

Downloads
    Windows .exe installer
    .exe Installer by capara @1mmortal.
    Download the installer file, run it and follow all instructions there.

Windows .bat installer
    Key mapping | Mirror
    Download the .zip file, unzip it, connect your watch to the PC and if you use a Windows PC, run:
    • OLD.bat to disable new key mapping
    • NEW.bat to enable new key mapping

Manual method installation
    Manual commands to disable the new key/button mapping
    0. Check for watch connection
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    adb start-server
    adb devices
    1. Reboot into fastboot mode
    Code:
    2. Boot temporal root
    Code:
    3. Wait for 10-15 seconds and check for watch connection
    Code:
    adb devices
    4. Apply the mod
    Code:
    adb root
    adb remount rw
    adb shell busybox "sed -i 's:prop.keyfeature.five=.*:prop.keyfeature.five=[B][COLOR="Red"]false[/COLOR][/B]:' /system/build.prop
    adb remount ro
    5. Reboot your watch
    Code:
    adb reboot
    adb kill-server

Manual commands to enable the new key/button mapping
    I don't see any reason for doing this but...
    10. Check for watch connection
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    adb start-server
    adb devices
    11. Reboot into fastboot mode
    Code:
    12. Boot temporal root
    Code:
    13. Wait for 10-15 seconds and check for watch connection
    Code:
    adb devices
    14. Apply the mod
    Code:
    adb root
    adb remount rw
    adb shell busybox "sed -i 's:prop.keyfeature.five=.*:prop.keyfeature.five=[B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]true[/COLOR][/B]:' /system/build.prop
    adb remount ro
    15. Reboot your watch
    Code:
    adb reboot
    adb kill-server

Enjoy! All time key mapping.

Some commands may be a bit different depending on your PC OS, so let me know for any issue or guide update.

If you like my work, buy me a beer.
    a little installer to make life easier -
    https://mega.nz/#!Hd8SGIzA!ninLmqyrJONucZdeJuVOCg695aR2AnC8uNn2j9Wd35Y
    @Saratoga79 stick it in the first post if you wish capara.
    So with this I can get the usual and older button press layout? Cool. I'll try it in 20...

Edit:

got stuck on temp. root:

C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\Stratos_2.3.8.0_key_mapping>fastboot boot root\boot-US-ad
    b-root.img
    OKAY [ 0.349s]
    booting...

I waited for more then a minute. Shall I repeat the same? What gives? Thanks.

Edit2:

got it working now... dunno why it wouldn't work on the first run though. I rebooted the watch itself and then followed step by step manually. the watch is booting... and.... IT IS WORKING!!! Yaiks! :D:highfive:
    Hi,
    Just some questions to be sure that i will do the good things.
    I want to have old mapping keys. I am ever in 2.3.9.0
    I have to change my bootloader first.
    I can then use the files step by step as in first page. Can i use the windows installer files ? Because when i download it, it is named 2.3.8.0 version... Or must i use manual installation ? but same question : files are written for an 2.3.8.0 version...

After, if a new version is send by huami, i won't be able to install it by OTA, I will have to disable the mod installed. I will have to flash new.bat or old.bat (how ? with windows installer ?) and after OTA will be possible. Next i will do again same flash to recover old mapping.

Is it right ? Have i all understood ?

Thank you for your helpful

To disable the new key mapping, run OLD.bat (or the .exe) on Windows or use the manual commands.
    When a new OTA update is up, you need to revert to the new/stock key mapping running NEW.bat (or the .exe) or using the commands.
    After updating your watch, you can disable again the new key mapping.