[MOD] (APP) Gallery QuickPic (2021)

bemanet

Dec 6, 2009
SERIOUS QuickPic Gallery 8.3 bug with Android 11.

If I crop a photo on my SD card with QuickPic Gallery and then use QuickPic to move the cropped photo to a different folder on the SD card, the photo just DISAPPEARS. As far as I can tell, this only happens if you crop a photo and only on the SD card. I have lost numerous photos before discovering this bug.

I first tried to report this on the WSTxda chat on Telegram, but when I tried to access the chat, it said that an admin had banned me. There is absolutely no reason for me to be banned, I am not sure I have even ever used that chat channel before. This is a particular kick in the teeth, since I have gone out of my way to assist people in this thread, due to my prior love for this app. (n)
I can't provoke your problem. I also have Android 11 and QPG 8.3

Reactions: rsngfrce

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
I can't provoke your problem. I also have Android 11 and QPG 8.3
You cropped a photo on your external SD card with QuickPic, then moved (not copied) the cropped photo to another folder on the external SD card? I just confirmed again multiple times on my Galaxy S10e that the cropped photo disappears.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I don't want all my images to be visible, only a few select folders, some on the internal SD, some on the external. Also I only use explorer mode as my pictures have a folder hierarchy that I would like to maintain.

So I've tried adding storage/emulated/0 to my included folders, which works fine, but now I have no way to add my pictures folder from the external SD. If I add the root directory "storage/" to included folders, then it stops showing me any photos at all!
The media scanner has the .nomedia file to stop selected paths from being scanned. I personally found it to be a bit hit and miss, and when I want to control what is included and where and as what, I update the media db directly. NB: I am rooted.

emko7

Sep 5, 2010
The media scanner has the .nomedia file to stop selected paths from being scanned. I personally found it to be a bit hit and miss, and when I want to control what is included and where and as what, I update the media db directly. NB: I am rooted.
Even if I do that way and use the media scanner method instead of included folders it still won't show any of the folders from my external SD card if I have Explorer mode selected. So I'm unable to browse by folder hierarchy.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Even if I do that way and use the media scanner method instead of included folders it still won't show any of the folders from my external SD card if I have Explorer mode selected. So I'm unable to browse by folder hierarchy.
check your media db. You sound like you are confusing an explorer style mode with the media scanner. They are NOT one in the same or related in any real way. The media scanner should scan your folders, so that you dont have to use any explorer.

aida_lover

Feb 15, 2012
SERIOUS QuickPic Gallery 8.3 bug with Android 11.

If I crop a photo on my SD card with QuickPic Gallery and then use QuickPic to move the cropped photo to a different folder on the SD card, the photo just DISAPPEARS. As far as I can tell, this only happens if you crop a photo and only on the SD card. I have lost numerous photos before discovering this bug.

I first tried to report this on the WSTxda chat on Telegram, but when I tried to access the chat, it said that an admin had banned me. There is absolutely no reason for me to be banned, I am not sure I have even ever used that chat channel before. This is a particular kick in the teeth, since I have gone out of my way to assist people in this thread, due to my prior love for this app. (n)

i do have exactly the same behaviour with QuickPic Gallery 8.3. Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (no SD card) on Android 11. It is possible to move pictures from one folder to another but if you crop one picture and want to move it to another folder it disappears. Copy it and remove the original worked out....

Furthermore I have a virus warning (Win 10) when download: 8.3 Alternative.apk
no virus warning when download: 8.2 Alternative.apk or QP Gallery 8.3.apk

8.3 Alternative_virus.apk.jpg

Last edited:

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
i do have exactly the same behaviour with QuickPic Gallery 8.3. Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (no SD card) on Android 11. It is possible to move pictures from one folder to another but if you crop one picture and want to move it to another folder it disappears. Copy it and remove the original worked out....

Furthermore I have a virus warning (Win 10) when download: 8.3 Alternative.apk
no virus warning when download: 8.2 Alternative.apk or QP Gallery 8.3.apk

View attachment 5211595
Unfortunately, I just renamed a photo on my SD Card using QuickPic and it disappeared, leaving a space that said invalid file. Erratic, but it seems using QuickPic for any sort of file operations on Android 11 is taking a risk. And WSTxda is silent on the issue.

dvhttn

Nov 4, 2010
Sunny Cornwall ...
Unfortunately, I just renamed a photo on my SD Card using QuickPic and it disappeared, leaving a space that said invalid file. Erratic, but it seems using QuickPic for any sort of file operations on Android 11 is taking a risk. And WSTxda is silent on the issue.
Is this not an A11 issue? From other threads (app threads) I've seen that a re-install works as you then need to give QP permissions to access the sdcard again. Maybe go into Android settings for the app and remove permissions and grant them again. Does that help at all? (Not on A11 so just going by what I've read elsewhere).

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Is this not an A11 issue? From other threads (app threads) I've seen that a re-install works as you then need to give QP permissions to access the sdcard again. Maybe go into Android settings for the app and remove permissions and grant them again. Does that help at all? (Not on A11 so just going by what I've read elsewhere).
Thanks, the thing is that I have no problem accessing the SD card with QuickPic on Android 11, that is where almost all of my photos are stored, I am just having some repeatable and some erratic issues with photos disappearing when I perform an operation on them with QuickPic.

I am unclear on how SD card access differs on 11 (scoped storage, but I don't understand that yet), but someone in this thread said they couldn't find their SD card with QuickPic and I checked and couldn't find a path to my SD card either, despite the fact that QuickPic seemed to know where it was from Android 10.

UPDATE: Having read up on scoped storage in Android 11, it is my understanding, which may be incorrect, that an app must request permission for every folder that it accesses, you can't just grant SD card access. Quickpic has never requested any folder access that I can remember since my phone updated to Android 11. The permission for QuickPic shows 'allow management of all files' selected (vs 'deny').

Last edited:

replica9000

May 31, 2009
I've been sticking with the old navigation buttons on my previous phones. I'm trying out gestures on my new phone. I can't crop images with the gestures. Anytime I try to adjust the cropper from left or right, I end up going back instead. Is there a way around this?

dvhttn

Nov 4, 2010
Sunny Cornwall ...
UPDATE: Having read up on scoped storage in Android 11, it is my understanding, which may be incorrect, that an app must request permission for every folder that it accesses, you can't just grant SD card access. Quickpic has never requested any folder access that I can remember since my phone updated to Android 11. The permission for QuickPic shows 'allow management of all files' selected (vs 'deny').
So have you tried 'turning it off then on again', that is denying all permissions then re-allowing them under A11? Also, if that doesn't work, try reinstalling from scratch to see if A11 then allows you access?

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
So have you tried 'turning it off then on again', that is denying all permissions then re-allowing them under A11? Also, if that doesn't work, try reinstalling from scratch to see if A11 then allows you access?
QuickPic was updated to 8.3.1. I denyed storage access. Quickpic asked for generic storage access, did not request access to individual folders or all folders as I would expect for Android 11. Moving a clipped photo from an SD folder to another SD folder still causes it to disappear.

dron39

Sep 20, 2009
Tried to connect v8.3 to Google Drive but it's not finished and some eroor message appears like UNREGISTERED_ON_API_CONSOLE.
Any solution?

Last edited:
Reactions: niledutch

WSTxda

May 10, 2018
Ribeirão Preto
QuickPic was updated to 8.3.1. I denyed storage access. Quickpic asked for generic storage access, did not request access to individual folders or all folders as I would expect for Android 11. Moving a clipped photo from an SD folder to another SD folder still causes it to disappear.
I am currently working on correcting the scoped storage to SD card, until then avoid moving or copying media with QuickPic