[MOD] Audio Tweaks (Including Silent Camera)

RandomKing

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 4, 2011
Random Land
randomkings.wordpress.com
Audio Modifications

DISCLAIMER:
I am not responsible for problems you may incur.
Please do some research if you are a first timer.
Only you can choose to use this software.
By downloading you agree to these terms.
WHAT THIS TWEAK DOES:
This flash-able Volume-tweak.zip includes both mods simultaneously.

1) Silent Camera!
Volume.db
Replacing the existing volume.db file, the one I'm including disables all shutter sounds (which I may change to one of the shutter sounds), autofocus sounds, and other obnoxious camera tones. I understand that Samsung's idea is to make people aware that others may be photographing them, privacy stuff and all, but let's be honest shall we? Creepers are going to creep one way or another, and the autofocus 'beep' disturbs the baby and makes the dog bark! It also disables the boot sound. Best part of this tweak, it doesn't even touch the actual camera apk!

2) Volume Enhancing!
default_gain.conf
The next is a mod adapted from the developer Meltus. You may know him for other awesome volume modifications, but this one he made for the GSIII international. This should make the phone overall louder in all respects. I have, however, adjusted it from his original settings to keep the volume from reaching 'crackling' volumes and possibly damaging the speakers. This level sounds loud and still sounds good. :good:​

DOWNLOADS:
Flash the following file through CWM:

Volume-Tweak [MIRROR]

Hand-Tested on my stock rooted SPH-L710.

CREDITS:
A Huge thanks to Meltus for the volume modifications. Meltus' Thread

Want to make or edit your own personal rom?
Take a look at my personal kitchen!​

Attachments

Last edited:

RandomKing

Mar 4, 2011
Random Land
Do you have this mod working on your device? I ask because I got burned on the teh kernel, and I'm a little more cautious about what I flash from now on.
It's brilliantly simple. Most android phones come with these settings ingrained into the kernel, but Samsung has left them out. In theory, one could make these adjustments from on the phone itself, if you can open a .db file. Very simple, nothing that can break a phone. Just be careful not to blow out your speaker or your ears. :p

Reactions: swampy67

Bizdady

Jul 24, 2010
Sweet, Camera sounds really annoys me.

Time to creep!!! (on my kids :D) lol

edit: flashed and tested camera. No sounds on focus and snapshot so :good:

Last edited:

RandomKing

Mar 4, 2011
Random Land
edit: flashed and tested camera. No sounds on focus and snapshot so :good:
Sweet! :highfive:

As an addendum, this tweak is even neater because it disables the camera noises on a system level. I've seen a supposed higher-resolution camcording camera apk floating around that 'supposedly' disables camera noises as well... but it doesn't matter if it does because this tweak stays in effect. I don't believe this will affect other camera apps... but any Samsung camera variant should be muted.

Last edited:

master acehole

Oct 24, 2011
Randomking ive seen your work before amazing stuff glad this got ported i was gonna try to port the volume mod but still no phone yet =( thanks a million anyways

Hiro14

Oct 2, 2010
Orem, Utah
Thanks for this mod. It works great. :) Would it be possible to mute the lock/unlock noises? I love water but I'm a little tired of hearing water droplets every time I use my phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Bizdady

Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for this mod. It works great. :) Would it be possible to mute the lock/unlock noises? I love water but I'm a little tired of hearing water droplets every time I use my phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710
You can turn that off in Settings > Sound.

Untick Touch Sounds and Screen lock sound

Reactions: Hiro14

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007

Sent from my SPH-L710
You can disable this already without mods.
Settings> Sound> uncheck Screen lock sound and Touch sound

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
For the sound boost (using the international tweak) you used the config file, correct?

That file does not, by default, exist on our US variants. I've personally included the tweak in my ROM over on T-Mobile. I've had a person or two say it made no difference. Me personally, I thought it was louder then hell (changed speaker boost from 0 to 40 and headphones from 0 to 25). If I put the volume on the lowest possible setting, its very audible still. With my headphones, I put it on three ticks and it was loud. Putting it up fully made me feel like my eardrums were going to pop.

What are your feelings on the tweaks? Do you think they actually work? Considering the config file doesn't exist by default, do you think they're actually pointed to in our system to be used?

RandomKing

Mar 4, 2011
Random Land
For the sound boost (using the international tweak) you used the config file, correct?

That file does not, by default, exist on our US variants. I've personally included the tweak in my ROM over on T-Mobile. I've had a person or two say it made no difference. Me personally, I thought it was louder then hell (changed speaker boost from 0 to 40 and headphones from 0 to 25). If I put the volume on the lowest possible setting, its very audible still. With my headphones, I put it on three ticks and it was loud. Putting it up fully made me feel like my eardrums were going to pop.

What are your feelings on the tweaks? Do you think they actually work? Considering the config file doesn't exist by default, do you think they're actually pointed to in our system to be used?
I too noticed that the file isn't there, and was momentarily skeptical. But as the base coding is likely fundamentally identical, I thought I'd give it a chance. It's hard to fully test while at work... but I can hear my mp3 alarms quite clearly now. I had made a thread days ago regarding how my songs play fine in the player, but at half volume as alarms. The alarm was much much louder! And I generally have a fairly discerning ear.

That said, I now have to experiment the individual settings I think. :D

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
I too noticed that the file isn't there, and was momentarily skeptical. But as the base coding is likely fundamentally identical, I thought I'd give it a chance. It's hard to fully test while at work... but I can hear my mp3 alarms quite clearly now. I had made a thread days ago regarding how my songs play fine in the player, but at half volume as alarms. The alarm was much much louder! And I generally have a fairly discerning ear.

That said, I now have to experiment the individual settings I think. :D
I agree the coding is likely identical. My skepticism comes more from the fact that the file doesn't exist by default. If it doesn't exist, and we add it, does anything in our system actually point to the config file in order for it to actually take effect?

Regardless, I'm pretty positive it works. I just was hoping someone had a better understanding of how it works and if it's actually pointed to.

When you play around with it, mind PMing me your results? I'm curious what you get.

For one, change the headphone settings and try with your headphones plugged in. I think they're extremely loud with the boost set to 25..

RandomKing

Mar 4, 2011
Random Land
I agree the coding is likely identical. My skepticism comes more from the fact that the file doesn't exist by default. If it doesn't exist, and we add it, does anything in our system actually point to the config file in order for it to actually take effect?

Regardless, I'm pretty positive it works. I just was hoping someone had a better understanding of how it works and if it's actually pointed to.

When you play around with it, mind PMing me your results? I'm curious what you get.

For one, change the headphone settings and try with your headphones plugged in. I think they're extremely loud with the boost set to 25..
Certainly. If different values draw drastically different effects... I'll probably be making a "Louder but comfortable" version and an "Extremely loud, hearing damage may ensue" version. :good: