(MOD)(BL1.2ROM-CM-10)SmOoTher_BeAn_4.1.2(G-tablet)(Updated 02/01/13)

Search This thread

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
Currently there is not a dock setting in the ROM. It is a hit or miss situation. I have seen more success out of docking the tablet before powering it up. Making sure that both connections on either end are connected. Power up the TV first putting it on the proper input. Then powering up the tablet while it is docked. Allowing the kernel to detect it off the bat. If it has worked before it will work on this. I am looking into adding something in the system settings to trigger this to make it easier on us.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
What does this mean precisely? How does "data fall into the cache space"?

Well I do believe we have been over this but I will refresh some memory. The link for the cache is in the data partition and not the cache partition. Hence if one loads up with enough apps that will shrink the amount of space for the cache to perform. Since 4096 is the highest we can currently go, unless jumping to the new DRH setup, we will always see this issue. I know one can link the cache back just by changing a couple of lines in the ramdisk, but I am working on a different method and just hoping that it will work the way it is setup in my head.:rolleyes:

Sent from my XT875 using xda app-developers app

tobalaz

Jul 17, 2012
Norton
If I'm on my Vizio (720p 60hz) I need to boot on dock to get a picture.
If I'm on my Sanyo (1080p 60hz), I can boot on dock or change the HDMI setting on the tv to a different port then back to whichever one I'm plugged into.
Sorry, only 2 tvs I've tried it on so far.
On my dock the HDMI cable is a little snug and actually doesn't go all the way in unless I apply a decent bit of pressure. Doesn't matter if I use the Xbox cable or my Bluerigger.
Also, the power cable for your Gtab NEEDS to be plugged into the dock or no dice.

Hope that helps.

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
That helps out a lot. Thanks for the great info. It looks to be a communication error on the handshake between the two. Going to be a challenge, but I never liked easy stuff. :D

Sent from my SmoOth A$$ Gtablet

laserbiz

Mar 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Is there a Youtube video showing how do install this ROM with the appropriate settings? I do so much better following along on a video than following written instructions. Thank you!

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
I am actually working on building one from source. Trying to get everything linked up just right so that I can just let my computer do the rest. Also needing to change a few settings in the boot image. It is going to be a bit since doing it this route is pretty much new to me.

Sent from my SmoOth A$$ Gtablet

Reactions: lartomar2002

laserbiz

Mar 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Check raywaldo.com site for detailed instructions / video on installing this ROM

Sent from GTablet Smoother Bean v1.5.2

Thanks for the site ( I was already aware..) I was looking for some video that would walk me through from the stage where I am at.(I installed Team DRH version 4.1.1 AND was not sure how to proceed from where I am at to get Smoother Bean on my gtab.. I don't do this often enough where I can remember what I have done before and pick up mid stream... I know its being needy, but I just cant grasp the instructions here or on Mr. Waldo's video. Its my problem I get that, but thanks again!

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
Thanks for the site ( I was already aware..) I was looking for some video that would walk me through from the stage where I am at.(I installed Team DRH version 4.1.1 AND was not sure how to proceed from where I am at to get Smoother Bean on my gtab.. I don't do this often enough where I can remember what I have done before and pick up mid stream... I know its being needy, but I just cant grasp the instructions here or on Mr. Waldo's video. Its my problem I get that, but thanks again!

To load up this ROM with your current setup all you would need to do is download the ROM onto your PC. Then on your Tablet copy or move anything that is important that is on your internal storage to your external storage or a USB thumb drive. I would make a habit of trying to keep everything music, pictures, documents and such on the external storage rather then your internal. After the backing up of stuff is done power down and reboot into recovery by holding down the volume + and pressing the power button. You are already on a 1.2 bootloader and should already be running recovery 5504 touch. If you are still running recovery 3028 that is alright it will still load and run. Once you are in the recovery do a wipe data/factory reset and then guide your way to the Advance Options and partition your internal storage 4096/0. This will erase everything that is on the internal storage, that is why we backup everything first. Then you Guide your way to mounts and storage and format system. Once that is complete Select mount USB then connect your Tablet up to your computer and transfer the rom over to the Storage. Then Guide back to the main screen and Install then reboot when installation is complete. You tablet is now all SmOoThEd OuT.

Like Always Thanks in Advance. :cool:

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
Well I do believe we have been over this but I will refresh some memory. The link for the cache is in the data partition and not the cache partition.
I know about that symlink, and that doesn't matter here. See below.

Hence if one loads up with enough apps that will shrink the amount of space for the cache to perform.
Not really, and certainly not in this case. The user's problem seems to have been caused by him skipping the repartition (or a wipe data/factory reset) step between different ROM installs; and not by the ROM not "enjoying sitting" on a 2048/0 partition setup (whatever that means). Even on a 2048 MB /data partition, his ROM install would've succeeded for these reasons:

1. A repartition operation will clear /data, so there will be plenty of space when the ROM is installed.

2. /cache/dalvik-cache is used, as far I know, only by the apps or jar files installed in /system. Every other installed app will put its dalvik cache files in /data/dalvik-cache. And, system apps will populate /cache/dalvik-cache (or whereever that points to) only in two instances: when the ROM is freshly installed, or after the /cache has been wiped. This means that once the .dex files are in place, no more writing is done to /cache/dalvik-cache.

3. The amount of space used by all the dalvik files is small since only files in /system/app, /system/framework, ... are cached there. I would be surprised if /cache/dalvik-cache exceeded 50-70 MB on any ROM. This means that even on a 2048 MB /data partiition, you would have to massively fill the disk for the effects like you imagine to even be seen. In actuality, (see point #2 above), you'll almost never see a full /data partition causing problems with creating files in /cache/dalvik-cache even if that was just a symlink into some directory inside /data.

4. If /data were indeed full, then you would start seeing other problems (like a failure to install apps outright) far before any problems writing into /cache/dalvik-cache.

Since 4096 is the highest we can currently go, unless jumping to the new DRH setup, ...
A max of 4GB for /data is only a CWM limitation. And you can very easily enlarge it further while keeping all your existing data intact.

...we will always see this issue.
See point #3. This is almost never going to cause problems.

I know one can link the cache back just by changing a couple of lines in the ramdisk, but I am working on a different method and just hoping that it will work the way it is setup in my head.:rolleyes:
The symlink method is only one way to use a non-standard directory for the system dalvik-cache. I know of 2 more techniques to do the same thing; and if you'd sent me the config files like I'd you to, I could've told you which method was being used and how to change it. You have to actively add stuff to change the default location for the system dalvik-cache location; if you remove those additions, the standard location will be used. Ie. there's no need to complicate this any more using more non-standard changes.

bob_frapples

Jun 21, 2010
Every time I try to install the Full_Stock_NVFlash_CWM_5504_Touch.zip, I get an error message and it is aborted.
Is there a way to check to see if I am on 250m system partition? I have tried re-downloading the zip and re-installing it, but aborted again.

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
This ROM will boot on even a smaller partition size. What it looks like is a bad download. Check the MD5 sum or download it again.

bob_frapples

Jun 21, 2010
The ROM loaded fine (even though the Full_Stock_NVFlash_CWM_5504_Touch.zip seemed to get an error) but it is super laggy. Any tips?
I tried re-downloading the Full_Stock_NVFlash_CWM_5504_Touch.zip and got the same error after installing it.

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
The ROM loaded fine (even though the Full_Stock_NVFlash_CWM_5504_Touch.zip seemed to get an error) but it is super laggy. Any tips?
Try these.

I tried re-downloading the Full_Stock_NVFlash_CWM_5504_Touch.zip and got the same error after installing it.
If you're attempting to install the zip file using CWM, then it will fail. That file is not meant to be installed that way.

You're supposed to unpack that zip file on your PC, and then run the batch file in it (with the tablet in APX mode) in order to enlarge the /system partition on the NAND flash. It's a pre-install prep. step.

Last edited:
Reactions: bob_frapples

oanh_148

Aug 28, 2006
Fix Mic buggy issue

This ROM will boot on even a smaller partition size. What it looks like is a bad download. Check the MD5 sum or download it again.

Hi Nobe1976

Is there any way to fix the mic issue on Smo0thBean rom? Your new rom in other forum PAC-man 4.2.2.ver22.0.1 does not have any problem with Mic anymore. I had installed the PAC-man 4.2.2.ver22.0.1 and tested the mic but finally returned to this Smo0therBean http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1900562 since I was not able to use 3G-USB dongle for internet connection via PPP apk, wired network connection (RJ45) and HDMI connection (audio was heard when doing setting on Sound but not when running apps) when using the dock with this PAC-man 4.2.2.ver22.0.1 installed on my G-tablet.

Appreciate your effort and other developers to make the aging G-tablet more valid than ever.

Hope new version of Smo0therBean will solve the buggy Mic finally.

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
There are plans on converting the new Kernel source I have over to the SmootherBean side, but finding the time to do it right now is getting tough. Plan on updating PAC with the latest ver.22.1.0 with my personal favorites on source tweaks. Source building is all new to be right now and I hit the nail on the head with PAC. Once I perfect the minor gliches the I see on this I will be pulling in a whole new AOSP source of CM 10 and convert those changes along with kernel changes to allow it to boot on Recovery 5504. Stay tuned.:cool:

Hi Nobe1976

Is there any way to fix the mic issue on Smo0thBean rom? Your new rom in other forum PAC-man 4.2.2.ver22.0.1 does not have any problem with Mic anymore. I had installed the PAC-man 4.2.2.ver22.0.1 and tested the mic but finally returned to this Smo0therBean http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1900562 since I was not able to use 3G-USB dongle for internet connection via PPP apk, wired network connection (RJ45) and HDMI connection (audio was heard when doing setting on Sound but not when running apps) when using the dock with this PAC-man 4.2.2.ver22.0.1 installed on my G-tablet.

Appreciate your effort and other developers to make the aging G-tablet more valid than ever.

Hope new version of Smo0therBean will solve the buggy Mic finally.

oanh_148

Aug 28, 2006
There are plans on converting the new Kernel source I have over to the SmootherBean side, but finding the time to do it right now is getting tough. Plan on updating PAC with the latest ver.22.1.0 with my personal favorites on source tweaks. Source building is all new to be right now and I hit the nail on the head with PAC. Once I perfect the minor gliches the I see on this I will be pulling in a whole new AOSP source of CM 10 and convert those changes along with kernel changes to allow it to boot on Recovery 5504. Stay tuned.:cool:

@nobe1976

Great news. I will test your next release of PAC then.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any Better. Then I give you Greatness​

Disclaimer
    I do not take responsibility for anything that happens to your stuff
    If you load this it is your responsibility to fix it if things go wrong
    While Running this ROM you think "WOW this is just Fantastic" then Your Welcome
    If your device runs away and gets Married to a Rock Star
    then all I got to say is sorry that it is soooo SmOoTh :cyclops:

If you want to repost this onto another site
    Please ask Permission to do so
    or just post the link back to here
    THANK YOU

For starters I am not a Developer, I am just a normal Guy with a Linux Machine and a Dream.

Special thanks goes towards fosser2, the DRH team and redeyedjedi. Without them I wouldn't of been
    able to do any of this.

The new SmoOth is using CM-10 4.1.2 base built from source by redeyedjedi with a nice
    face lift and some extras. It is desighned to create for you a great gaming experience as well as everyday use.

Let me introduce you to the New SmoOther Creation.

ScreenShot
    Smoother_Bean.ver1.5.2.png

Screenshots on the Inverted Version​
    Because that is how I ROLL​

Smoother_Bean.ver1.5.2-Apps.png

I will only Support my Installation Instructions
    I have tested it with my own G-Tablet with these
    exact instructions.

Installation Instruction.
    You will need to be on BL 1.2 and have a 250m system partition (recomended).
    (You can run this on a 350m system setup)
    You must know how to back up your existing system. That is only being said once
    Boot into Recovery and do a Nandroid Backup Wipe data/factory reset,
    go into "mounts and storage" and "mount & format system"
    Partition Internal SD to 4096/0 in Advance settings (if already skip this part)
    Download Rom and Place onto internal storage
    Install Rom
    Reboot into system, Complete initial setup

AND HOLD ON TIGHT

DIRTY FLASHING WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. YOUR MOM SHOULD OF TAUGHT YOU HOW TO WIPE

This ROM is bare bone striped down the apps and replaced with lighter counter parts.
    The only addition I included is minimum Gapps some choice addons and Rom ToolBox to OC, change I/O schedulars
    and other adjustments you would like to make. (Recomended Memory Manager Preset setting= Strict)
    Check apply on boot then apply settings. Perfomance settings still need to be worked out within the ROM for I/O settings.
    Also for Task Killing without a app go to system settings/Developer options (Turn on first)
    then select "Background process limit" to (No background processes or Limit to 1)

Whats included
    1 % Battery Mod (Fixed and Works)
    Latest Apex Launcher
    Play Store (Inverted or Standard depends on ROM Choice)
    AdAway app
    Apollo (Inverted or Standard depends on ROM Choice)
    Pandora (Inverted ver.4.1)
    Google Now
    Chrome Browser
    CPU Sleeper
    DSP Manager
    Gmail (Unreleased ver.4.2, Inverted or Standard depends on ROM Choice)
    ROM ToolBox
    SuperSU
    TIBU
    XDA app
    YouTube (ver. 4.2.16)

What Works
    Audio, Audio, and did I mention Audio...... :victory:

What Doesn't Work
    Camera (Work around use USB Camera)
    Mic works but buggy

ROM download here.

SmoOth Bean 4.1.2 ver 1.5.2(Standard) 160 DPI
    The Goods

SmoOth Bean 4.1.2 ver 1.5.2(Inverted) 160 DPI
    The Goods

Changelog

Fixed .apk HTML files for both battery mod and mouse pointer
    Added some extra build.prop tweaks
    Deleted unneeded tweaks that caused issues with ADB (Thanks rajeevvp for letting me know about it.)
    Added Google Now for those who want to try to get it to work (Its a Data app so you can delete it if nessesary).​

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Link for NVFlash package to set System to 250m
    Recomended NVFlash 250m system Mod

Older Updates

SmoOth Bean 4.1.2 ver 1.5(Standard PlayStore) 160 DPI
    The Goods :cool:

SmoOth Bean 4.1.2 ver 1.5(Inverted PlayStore) 160 DPI
    The Goods :p

I don't normally do this stuff, So I will try to keep it updated as much as I can. Switch to Dev Host and they seem to be holding Strong. People willing to Mirror me a link PM me with it and I will add it with who is providing it. Thanks.

If you like my work just press the Thanks button also
    go find fosser2, redeyedjedi and any of the DRH Team and thank them as well

Please by all means if you have any private questions or cannot post in the Development treads PM me. Please don't Email someone that you just met. I am not that kind of person to respond to emails so Please Keep it in the Forum. Thanks in Advance.

REMEMBER that this is FREE! I have NOT and WILL NOT ask for donations for any of this! If you wish to I will add it to my Wifes Kiddle fund so I can keep working on this.!

Reserved

System App Addons. An Extra 7.6 MB on the System

SystemApps.zip

Installation instructions.
    Download the Addon pack onto PC and unzip using 7zip. Choose which ones you want to have added and delete the ones you don't want in system/app folder. Compress back into a zip file and transfer onto internal storage through recovery. Wipe Cache and Dalvic Cache then install update and reboot. After device has rebooted go into Settings/Accounts and turn the Sync on on the ones you want to Sync.

Previous Build
    SmOoTh BeAn ver.1.3.2
    SmOoTh BeAn 1.3.2 (160dpi)

1.3.2 Updates
    160 DPI Update

120 DPI Update

SmOoTh BeAn ver.1.2
    Click Here
    Alright People Links are live

Bottoms up
    and play responsibly
    Try this.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

I have to agree with the poster on this. Custom-ROM installs shouldn't do non-essential things lke overwriting a user's boot splash screen without his permission. Replacing eye-candy like that is best done later if the user wants to: You can very easily script it out or do it on the command line:
    Code:
    $ [B]su[/B]
    # [B]flash_image bootbmp [I]/SOME/PATH/[/I]somefile.bmp[/B]

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Yup. I have to agree with this too...

Yet again, I have to agree.

Its not that the birds are ugly and hard to look at, it is a psycological thing. We are all so emotionally distraught by the viewsonic corporation, because they took 3 or 4 hundred dollars of our money and then immediately act like it never happened, like they never built the gtablet. They never supported us.........EVER. So, sticking the birds in our face is like a jewish prisoner from WW2 having to stare at a swastika 20 years later. well, not really, but you know what I mean.

I feel ya on the criticism though. I can take it......I spent over twenty hours on builds trying to make a PA rom just so I can play NBA JAM, and someone posts on my dev-host link "newbie:learning"
    and yet they wont post here with their name behind it.....but thats OK by me, Im playing dark knight rises, nba jam, gt racing, NFS most wanted, dead space, mass effect, any game I want.... Just because some people are stupid and wont go read what PA is and how to set it up doesnt bother me a bit, I know what it can do.
    Im sure nobe knows what this rom can do tooo, but he spends a lot of time on it, and just cant believe someone misses those DAMN birds.
    I cannot even imagine how fosser feels, I use him like he is my OEM support, he put his kernel together from scratch. And yet, people post some sorry stuff on slatedroid, like "hey I gave you a few dollars and now youre not gonna update, I can see the writing on the wall" as if Fosser works for viewsonic, I mean this is CRAZY!!!! The only thing that bugs me is we all do this for free.....for free....and if you dont like what we did, go back to tap n tap!!!!
    You can post bugs and errors and we always try to help, but just to post that you hate not having the boot image, after you didnt read in the first place that it would be changed and that you are flashing a "custom" rom......at your own risk......well to me this isnt criticism. its more like douchebaggery.
    Alright guys let me re-work the updated script to my SmoOth version and hopefully if everything goes the way it plans the link will be up tonight . Got to wait to get to my side of the desk and get cracking on it. Thanks to the testers and there feed back. :eek:

Sent from my tervigon using xda app-developers app