(MOD)(BL1.2ROM-CM-10)SmOoTher_BeAn_4.1.2(G-tablet)(Updated 02/01/13)

Search This thread

bellalan

Jul 22, 2009
Slow issuses

I just flashed this rom and am having a few issues.

-Device run fast one second and SLOW another. (mostly slow)
-Play store will crash at times and camera does not work.

Let me know PLEASE

Cheers/

odic

Oct 31, 2007
Lansing, MI
Born Again!

I have had this Gtablet for 5 years. I bought it from a friend who hosed it with Vegan Tab or whatever it was with 2.2 froyo. He must have screwed up the partitioning or the BL? I don't know, but even I have attempted to refresh this thing with several ROMs over the years. Up until now it has always been an exercise of my patience followed by a crappy performing faux tablet to utter defeat. It just depressed me to turn the thing on. I finally pulled this thing out of a box because I wanted to test a router I was setting up for my daughter to bring to a friends house so they could play Minecraft PE together. Again....Stock BL1.1 rooted...nogo...slow, crashy, buggy, and it wouldn't even start minecraft. Then on to 2 others with the same results. This is honestly the first time I tried a ROM on BL 1.2 and I have to say, whether it is the Bootloader or the ROM or what, this thing runs like a new piece of hardware! I'm sure it will lag a bit here and there, but it is back! Minecraft v0.10.5...no problem...pandora....check! Email, Bluetooth...Roger that! I haven't really stretched it's legs yet, but I am very pleased so far. To anyone else that may consider this BL1.2 ROM , I highly reccomend it, but I will admit...the whole Dalvik cache build or whatever happens after first boot that causes it to act SUPER slow and wonky in general almost broke my spirits again, but I was aware of this and after waiting an hour and clearing the caches of the apps I tried to load prematurely then rebooting....Bang! it snaps (relatively speaking...a new quad core tablet would smoke it I'm sure). Anyhow....Thanks for all the effort from the DEVs and thanks to XDA for keeping the content alive even if the support is discontinued. It is a real shame to think how many of these Gtablets probably made their way to the recycle bins before attempting to try....I would say THIS rom!

:D:D:good:

jabber71

Feb 10, 2010
I just came across this thread and tried to download the rom from the link page. All I get is a 3mb ace file, is this right or do you have a link to the full zip file?

Reactions: laserbiz
D

Deleted member 4665219

HoLyCoWzOrZ

Mar 25, 2011
Reactions: bwolf126

sweh

Apr 9, 2007
High I/O wait

In the vague hope that someone, somewhere, still plays with the gtablet...

I dug mine out of the basement over the weekend. I wasn't sure what state it was in, so I did a full rebuild using files I'd downloaded back in 2013.

NVFLASH'd BL1.2 onto it using the files from Full_Stock_NVFlash_CWM_5504_Touch.zip.

Went into recovery mode, created a 4096/0 setup. For good measure, cleaned data and cache.

Installed Smoother_Bean.ver1.5.2(Standard.).zip

And it rebooted nicely. Apex loader started. I left it a few hours 'cos play store was doing its stuff.

system is 250M, as required.
Code:
/system                250M   187M    62M   4096

But 1 day later it was still glacially slow. I tried a reboot and waited an hour or so...

Connecting via adb and running "mpstat -P ALL 5" I see it's really stuck in I/O wait, same as before the reboot

Code:
20:10:25     CPU    %usr   %nice    %sys %iowait    %irq   %soft  %steal  %guest   %idle
20:10:30     all    2.60    2.00    3.50   74.70    0.00    0.20    0.00    0.00   17.00
20:10:30       0    3.60    1.40    5.20   77.40    0.00    0.40    0.00    0.00   12.00
20:10:30       1    1.60    2.60    1.80   72.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00   22.00

20:10:30     CPU    %usr   %nice    %sys %iowait    %irq   %soft  %steal  %guest   %idle
20:10:35     all    0.80    0.50    2.00   96.60    0.00    0.10    0.00    0.00    0.00
20:10:35       0    0.60    0.80    3.00   95.40    0.00    0.20    0.00    0.00    0.00
20:10:35       1    1.00    0.20    1.00   97.80    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00

20:10:35     CPU    %usr   %nice    %sys %iowait    %irq   %soft  %steal  %guest   %idle
20:10:40     all    4.20    0.20    3.00   92.40    0.00    0.20    0.00    0.00    0.00
20:10:40       0    3.20    0.00    4.40   92.00    0.00    0.40    0.00    0.00    0.00
20:10:40       1    5.20    0.40    1.60   92.80    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00

20:10:40     CPU    %usr   %nice    %sys %iowait    %irq   %soft  %steal  %guest   %idle
20:10:45     all    0.70    0.00    1.30   98.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00
20:10:45       0    1.20    0.00    2.40   96.40    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00
20:10:45       1    0.20    0.00    0.20   99.60    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00

This is while the machine is theoretically idle, just on the home screen. No wonder it seems slow, if it's spending 98% of the time in I/O!

Any recommendations? Anyone remember seeing this all those years ago, and remembering the solution?

KittenSauce

Nov 11, 2015
This is while the machine is theoretically idle, just on the home screen. No wonder it seems slow, if it's spending 98% of the time in I/O!

Any recommendations? Anyone remember seeing this all those years ago, and remembering the solution?

I, personally, have no idea what "I/O wait" is, but I was seeing some similar symptoms on my GTab when I first flashed it (it worked fine for the first few hours, then became tragically slow).

I managed to fix the problem by uninstalling GApps completely. It seems that the latest version of Google Play Services (that gets installed after a few hours of the ROM first being installed) doesn't work very well on this tablet. Unfortunately, it was quite some time ago that I went about this, so I don't exactly remember what I did. I probably ran this script directly after installing the ROM.

EDIT (2 years later): Great! I love when things fall off the face of the earth!!
This repository seems to be a fork of the link above: https://github.com/CodehubX/gapps-remover

Last edited:

sweh

Apr 9, 2007
I, personally, have no idea what "I/O wait"
It's when the kernel is waiting for a device to complete a data transfer. For a normal computer it might be "waiting for the hard disk to read or save a block". While the kernel is blocked waiting for I/O it can't do anything else on that CPU core. So high I/O wait is bad for performance. It can be especially bad when the kernel is short of memory 'cos it can be paging memory in/out.

For the GTablet it could be very slow memory storage, it could be the replacement kernel isn't properly optimised, it could be lack of memory, or something else!

I managed to fix the problem by uninstalling GApps completely. It seems that the latest version of Google Play Services (that gets installed after a few hours of the ROM first being installed) doesn't work very well on this tablet. Unfortunately, it was quite some time ago that I went about this, so I don't exactly remember what I did. I probably ran this script directly after installing the ROM.

Google Play is definitely one of the apps that kicks the system into 99% I/O wait. But I dunno if that's a symptom or a cause!

Reactions: KittenSauce

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any Better. Then I give you Greatness​

Disclaimer
    I do not take responsibility for anything that happens to your stuff
    If you load this it is your responsibility to fix it if things go wrong
    While Running this ROM you think "WOW this is just Fantastic" then Your Welcome
    If your device runs away and gets Married to a Rock Star
    then all I got to say is sorry that it is soooo SmOoTh :cyclops:

If you want to repost this onto another site
    Please ask Permission to do so
    or just post the link back to here
    THANK YOU

For starters I am not a Developer, I am just a normal Guy with a Linux Machine and a Dream.

Special thanks goes towards fosser2, the DRH team and redeyedjedi. Without them I wouldn't of been
    able to do any of this.

The new SmoOth is using CM-10 4.1.2 base built from source by redeyedjedi with a nice
    face lift and some extras. It is desighned to create for you a great gaming experience as well as everyday use.

Let me introduce you to the New SmoOther Creation.

ScreenShot
    Smoother_Bean.ver1.5.2.png

Screenshots on the Inverted Version​
    Because that is how I ROLL​

Smoother_Bean.ver1.5.2-Apps.png

I will only Support my Installation Instructions
    I have tested it with my own G-Tablet with these
    exact instructions.

Installation Instruction.
    You will need to be on BL 1.2 and have a 250m system partition (recomended).
    (You can run this on a 350m system setup)
    You must know how to back up your existing system. That is only being said once
    Boot into Recovery and do a Nandroid Backup Wipe data/factory reset,
    go into "mounts and storage" and "mount & format system"
    Partition Internal SD to 4096/0 in Advance settings (if already skip this part)
    Download Rom and Place onto internal storage
    Install Rom
    Reboot into system, Complete initial setup

AND HOLD ON TIGHT

DIRTY FLASHING WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. YOUR MOM SHOULD OF TAUGHT YOU HOW TO WIPE

This ROM is bare bone striped down the apps and replaced with lighter counter parts.
    The only addition I included is minimum Gapps some choice addons and Rom ToolBox to OC, change I/O schedulars
    and other adjustments you would like to make. (Recomended Memory Manager Preset setting= Strict)
    Check apply on boot then apply settings. Perfomance settings still need to be worked out within the ROM for I/O settings.
    Also for Task Killing without a app go to system settings/Developer options (Turn on first)
    then select "Background process limit" to (No background processes or Limit to 1)

Whats included
    1 % Battery Mod (Fixed and Works)
    Latest Apex Launcher
    Play Store (Inverted or Standard depends on ROM Choice)
    AdAway app
    Apollo (Inverted or Standard depends on ROM Choice)
    Pandora (Inverted ver.4.1)
    Google Now
    Chrome Browser
    CPU Sleeper
    DSP Manager
    Gmail (Unreleased ver.4.2, Inverted or Standard depends on ROM Choice)
    ROM ToolBox
    SuperSU
    TIBU
    XDA app
    YouTube (ver. 4.2.16)

What Works
    Audio, Audio, and did I mention Audio...... :victory:

What Doesn't Work
    Camera (Work around use USB Camera)
    Mic works but buggy

ROM download here.

SmoOth Bean 4.1.2 ver 1.5.2(Standard) 160 DPI
    The Goods

SmoOth Bean 4.1.2 ver 1.5.2(Inverted) 160 DPI
    The Goods

Changelog

Fixed .apk HTML files for both battery mod and mouse pointer
    Added some extra build.prop tweaks
    Deleted unneeded tweaks that caused issues with ADB (Thanks rajeevvp for letting me know about it.)
    Added Google Now for those who want to try to get it to work (Its a Data app so you can delete it if nessesary).​

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Link for NVFlash package to set System to 250m
    Recomended NVFlash 250m system Mod

Older Updates

SmoOth Bean 4.1.2 ver 1.5(Standard PlayStore) 160 DPI
    The Goods :cool:

SmoOth Bean 4.1.2 ver 1.5(Inverted PlayStore) 160 DPI
    The Goods :p

I don't normally do this stuff, So I will try to keep it updated as much as I can. Switch to Dev Host and they seem to be holding Strong. People willing to Mirror me a link PM me with it and I will add it with who is providing it. Thanks.

If you like my work just press the Thanks button also
    go find fosser2, redeyedjedi and any of the DRH Team and thank them as well

Please by all means if you have any private questions or cannot post in the Development treads PM me. Please don't Email someone that you just met. I am not that kind of person to respond to emails so Please Keep it in the Forum. Thanks in Advance.

REMEMBER that this is FREE! I have NOT and WILL NOT ask for donations for any of this! If you wish to I will add it to my Wifes Kiddle fund so I can keep working on this.!

Reserved

System App Addons. An Extra 7.6 MB on the System

SystemApps.zip

Installation instructions.
    Download the Addon pack onto PC and unzip using 7zip. Choose which ones you want to have added and delete the ones you don't want in system/app folder. Compress back into a zip file and transfer onto internal storage through recovery. Wipe Cache and Dalvic Cache then install update and reboot. After device has rebooted go into Settings/Accounts and turn the Sync on on the ones you want to Sync.

Previous Build
    SmOoTh BeAn ver.1.3.2
    SmOoTh BeAn 1.3.2 (160dpi)

1.3.2 Updates
    160 DPI Update

120 DPI Update

SmOoTh BeAn ver.1.2
    Click Here
    Alright People Links are live

Bottoms up
    and play responsibly
    Try this.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

I have to agree with the poster on this. Custom-ROM installs shouldn't do non-essential things lke overwriting a user's boot splash screen without his permission. Replacing eye-candy like that is best done later if the user wants to: You can very easily script it out or do it on the command line:
    Code:
    $ [B]su[/B]
    # [B]flash_image bootbmp [I]/SOME/PATH/[/I]somefile.bmp[/B]

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Yup. I have to agree with this too...

Yet again, I have to agree.

Its not that the birds are ugly and hard to look at, it is a psycological thing. We are all so emotionally distraught by the viewsonic corporation, because they took 3 or 4 hundred dollars of our money and then immediately act like it never happened, like they never built the gtablet. They never supported us.........EVER. So, sticking the birds in our face is like a jewish prisoner from WW2 having to stare at a swastika 20 years later. well, not really, but you know what I mean.

I feel ya on the criticism though. I can take it......I spent over twenty hours on builds trying to make a PA rom just so I can play NBA JAM, and someone posts on my dev-host link "newbie:learning"
    and yet they wont post here with their name behind it.....but thats OK by me, Im playing dark knight rises, nba jam, gt racing, NFS most wanted, dead space, mass effect, any game I want.... Just because some people are stupid and wont go read what PA is and how to set it up doesnt bother me a bit, I know what it can do.
    Im sure nobe knows what this rom can do tooo, but he spends a lot of time on it, and just cant believe someone misses those DAMN birds.
    I cannot even imagine how fosser feels, I use him like he is my OEM support, he put his kernel together from scratch. And yet, people post some sorry stuff on slatedroid, like "hey I gave you a few dollars and now youre not gonna update, I can see the writing on the wall" as if Fosser works for viewsonic, I mean this is CRAZY!!!! The only thing that bugs me is we all do this for free.....for free....and if you dont like what we did, go back to tap n tap!!!!
    You can post bugs and errors and we always try to help, but just to post that you hate not having the boot image, after you didnt read in the first place that it would be changed and that you are flashing a "custom" rom......at your own risk......well to me this isnt criticism. its more like douchebaggery.
    Alright guys let me re-work the updated script to my SmoOth version and hopefully if everything goes the way it plans the link will be up tonight . Got to wait to get to my side of the desk and get cracking on it. Thanks to the testers and there feed back. :eek:

Sent from my tervigon using xda app-developers app