[MOD] BlackenedMod v1.0 (Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL)

Search This thread

xFirefly93

Jan 10, 2018
Timrå
Introduction:

Hello everyone!

The idea to this 'project' did blossom after having an conversation with @pkgnex in the past about the general idea of creating something else that follows what he started with his PK's Tuning Script for Pixel 2 (XL) but with a twist, mainly as a complement to his own thread that you can find here, but also with a completely different vision and focus on what the script itself should achieve (and deliver) for kind of results for myself and for all of you personally, of course, that wants to try it out and use it as a "daily driver".

Shortly explained.

This script is created with the goal of improving both battery life and performance on our Pixel 3 (XL) devices, and after a whole range of configurations and various set-ups, I've come up with something that, in my eyes, is worth sharing with all of you so that you can try it out yourself and judge on your own, with constructive feedback on what can be improved or added in future releases - if desired. My philosophy is, and will always be, this:

If something can be improved or altered in a positive way so the average user can feel and see a difference, then go for it. Non stop.

The latest release can be found here.

Disclaimer:
This is presented as "what if". If this modification screws up or breaks anything for you, I am not the one to be held responsible. It's a free will to try out this kind of changes/modifications/addons/tweaks, just don't blame the inventors for eventual bad results and/or screw-ups.

Note: This script is not recommended to be modified or customized by the user.

Features:
  • Reduced battery consumption
  • Device specific enhancements for best possible balance between battery life & performance
  • Enabled, and fully configured, Boeffla generic kernel wakelock blocker
  • Disabled a lot of useless stuff at kernel level (Improves battery life as well as performance)
  • CPUSet improvements & optimizations
  • Schedtune tweaks (Improves responsivness)
  • Power efficiency enhancements
  • Wide IO block tuning (Reduces the possibility of hiccups, lags and overhead)
  • Possibly other miscellaneous things I've forgotten to write down here, both big and small.

Requirements/what you need for getting this script fully working:
  • An unlocked bootloader
  • Your own specific choice of kernel
  • Latest possible version of Magisk
  • Busybox for Android NDK Magisk Module by @osm0sis
  • Patience

Installation/How-To use & abuse:
  • 1) Download the attached ZIP
  • 2) Extract the script
  • 3) Move the script to the following location;
    /data/adb/service.d and give it the following & needed file permissions (0755)
  • 4) Reboot your phone, let Android boot to the launcher and let Magisk boot service do its crucial magic (takes a few seconds before the scripts is fully up and running around behind the scenes)
  • 5) Enjoy!
  • Note: If you still are unsure how to do for making my kernel configuration / modification work & be up and running behind the scenes, then please read @Phalanx7621 phenomenal guide here or check out @Phalanx7621in-depth video here. The installation method is the same for all generations of released Pixels!
Credits:
  • @franciscofranco for all the information on which kernel wakelocks that is safe to block
  • @Phalanx7621 for his phenomenal how-to guide
  • @Lord Boeffla for his awesome generic kernel wakelock blocker
  • @pkgnex for inspiring me walking into this partially unknown territory.
  • @flar2 for his excellent EXKM application and ElementalX Kernel
  • @osm0sisfor his Magisk Busybox module
  • Everyone that I've forgotten to mention here
Telegram:
If you want to try out betas / previews of my script before they are officially released, or just hangout and chat a little, then join the official Telegram group here

To-Do list:
  • Optimize and properly tune things even further for best possible balance between battery life, system responsivness and performance

Contributors:
@xFirefly93

Created: 2019-01-07
Last updated: 2019-01-07

Last edited:

xFirefly93

Jan 10, 2018
Timrå
Update!

Note: Don't forget make a folder named "logs" at the root of your internal storage before applying version 1.0.

Version 1.0 (Initial release):
- Initial release!
- Copied over a huge amount of various enhancements from BlackenedMod for Wahoo (Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL) + tuned a couple "crucial" Pixel 3 (XL) specific easter eggs
- Blocked a few safe-to-fully-purge kernel wakelocks for slightly improved battery life during idle / deep sleep
- Fully enabled and adjusted all of the Schedutil hispeed based / specific tunables for both of the clusters with the intention of keeping the phone both smooth and snappy while maximizing overall battery life as far as possible
- Included, but commented out, so you can enable power efficient workqueues on-the-fly directly within the script
- Some very additional minor & miscellaneous enhancements and adjustments both here and there

Enjoy! :)

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Magisk manager app keeps stopping while checking for updates after installing script. Is this expected?

Edit, after a reboot magisk is back to normal. I'll keep an eye on this to see if I can repeat it and maybe capture a logcat.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Last edited:

georgs_town

May 1, 2018
Very interesting! Thanks for the effort! As I consider myself a modding-greenhorn, I'm waiting for the experiences other users have with that Mod!
cheers

Reactions: xFirefly93

xFirefly93

Jan 10, 2018
Timrå
Very interesting! Thanks for the effort! As I consider myself a modding-greenhorn, I'm waiting for the experiences other users have with that Mod!
cheers

Do you have any first impressions so far to share? :)

*Cheers*

Blackenedmod is heavymetal magic. Pure awesomeness, I run this mod on Mi8 and my breath time to time stop. I don't feel any performance degreasing (maybe opposite) but huge improvement in battery life. Thanks!

(I removed some lines which aren't suitable for Mi8)

Which specific lines did you remove? :)

Last edited:
G

GuestK00177

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190107-211710_Solid_Explorer.png
    Screenshot_20190107-211710_Solid_Explorer.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 678

cooltech786

Jan 5, 2010
Can you use this with the stock kernel or does it need to be with a custom kernel? I'm currently unlocked and rooted with Magisk but running stock otherwise. Thanks

xFirefly93

Jan 10, 2018
Timrå
Can you use this with the stock kernel or does it need to be with a custom kernel? I'm currently unlocked and rooted with Magisk but running stock otherwise. Thanks

Should work with stock.

What files should be in the logs folder? I made the logs folder but it's disappeared on reboot so I don't know if working or not?

A automatically generated output log file which tells you if the script is working or not.

xFirefly93

Jan 10, 2018
Timrå
A little, but important, update will be released at the end of this week once I am off from work. Perhaps at Saturday if everything is going as planned!

Just wait.

How have the initial release btw performed so far for everyone? :highfive:

Reactions: frewys and lobrau

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
What files should be in the logs folder? I made the logs folder but it's disappeared on reboot so I don't know if working or not?
I saw someone post on here to create the log folder on root and of course it doesn't survive a reboot. I read thru his script and had a duh moment. You need to create the logs folder at the root of the sdcard, /storage/emulated/0.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: acidspider

lobrau

Jan 20, 2012
Ottawa
Have been using it for the past few days. Definitely notice better battery life through the blocking of wakelocks. Haven't noticed any difference in performance so seems to be worth running. No issues with stability at all either. Great work!

Archmag3

Oct 16, 2008
Mumbai
Can this be run along side naptime ? Also layman question: is this similar to naptime?

Edit: Ok I tried it on Pixel 3 with Elemental X kernal and I'm stuck on the white boot screen with google logo...Any idea ?

Last edited:

MMag05

Jan 13, 2011
Google Pixel 6
I had your script running along side Magisk v18 Stable on Bootleggers Ver. 4 and noticed Viper4Android wouldn't load correctly. It was showing in the Magisk logs but not showing in my app drawer. Per the link below I noticed the last think to load was your script so I deleted it and rebooted. Viper then worked and I was able to reproduce the issue by adding back the script and once again fix it by deleting the script. I really love your script and would like to use it but, Viper is a must for me. Are there any lines in the script that could be deleted or altered for Viper4Android to load correctly via Magisk?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forum....module-viper4android-fx-2-5-0-5-t3577058/amp/

MMag05

Jan 13, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Just an update. Script is great im getting approximately 6 and change hours of SOT.

AOD off.
Location on.
WiFi always on.
kirisakura kernel
Exkm installed (no real tweaks made no idea where to start)

Also in response to previous post, viper working fine for me w/ script, root and this init script.

Are you running the factory image? It might be related to me running Bootlegger v4.

xFirefly93

Jan 10, 2018
Timrå
Just an update. Script is great im getting approximately 6 and change hours of SOT.

AOD off.
Location on.
WiFi always on.
kirisakura kernel
Exkm installed (no real tweaks made no idea where to start)

Also in response to previous post, viper working fine for me w/ script, root and this init script.

A update will come when I feel that I've found something that is worth sharing :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update!

Note: Don't forget make a folder named "logs" at the root of your internal storage before applying version 1.0.

Version 1.0 (Initial release):
    - Initial release!
    - Copied over a huge amount of various enhancements from BlackenedMod for Wahoo (Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL) + tuned a couple "crucial" Pixel 3 (XL) specific easter eggs
    - Blocked a few safe-to-fully-purge kernel wakelocks for slightly improved battery life during idle / deep sleep
    - Fully enabled and adjusted all of the Schedutil hispeed based / specific tunables for both of the clusters with the intention of keeping the phone both smooth and snappy while maximizing overall battery life as far as possible
    - Included, but commented out, so you can enable power efficient workqueues on-the-fly directly within the script
    - Some very additional minor & miscellaneous enhancements and adjustments both here and there

Enjoy! :)
    Introduction:

Hello everyone!

The idea to this 'project' did blossom after having an conversation with @pkgnex in the past about the general idea of creating something else that follows what he started with his PK's Tuning Script for Pixel 2 (XL) but with a twist, mainly as a complement to his own thread that you can find here, but also with a completely different vision and focus on what the script itself should achieve (and deliver) for kind of results for myself and for all of you personally, of course, that wants to try it out and use it as a "daily driver".

Shortly explained.

This script is created with the goal of improving both battery life and performance on our Pixel 3 (XL) devices, and after a whole range of configurations and various set-ups, I've come up with something that, in my eyes, is worth sharing with all of you so that you can try it out yourself and judge on your own, with constructive feedback on what can be improved or added in future releases - if desired. My philosophy is, and will always be, this:

If something can be improved or altered in a positive way so the average user can feel and see a difference, then go for it. Non stop.

The latest release can be found here.

Disclaimer:
    This is presented as "what if". If this modification screws up or breaks anything for you, I am not the one to be held responsible. It's a free will to try out this kind of changes/modifications/addons/tweaks, just don't blame the inventors for eventual bad results and/or screw-ups.

Note: This script is not recommended to be modified or customized by the user.

Features:
    • Reduced battery consumption
    • Device specific enhancements for best possible balance between battery life & performance
    • Enabled, and fully configured, Boeffla generic kernel wakelock blocker
    • Disabled a lot of useless stuff at kernel level (Improves battery life as well as performance)
    • CPUSet improvements & optimizations
    • Schedtune tweaks (Improves responsivness)
    • Power efficiency enhancements
    • Wide IO block tuning (Reduces the possibility of hiccups, lags and overhead)
    • Possibly other miscellaneous things I've forgotten to write down here, both big and small.

Requirements/what you need for getting this script fully working:
    • An unlocked bootloader
    • Your own specific choice of kernel
    • Latest possible version of Magisk
    • Busybox for Android NDK Magisk Module by @osm0sis
    • Patience

Installation/How-To use & abuse:
    • 1) Download the attached ZIP
    • 2) Extract the script
    • 3) Move the script to the following location;
      /data/adb/service.d and give it the following & needed file permissions (0755)
    • 4) Reboot your phone, let Android boot to the launcher and let Magisk boot service do its crucial magic (takes a few seconds before the scripts is fully up and running around behind the scenes)
    • 5) Enjoy!
    • Note: If you still are unsure how to do for making my kernel configuration / modification work & be up and running behind the scenes, then please read @Phalanx7621 phenomenal guide here or check out @Phalanx7621in-depth video here. The installation method is the same for all generations of released Pixels!
    Credits:
    • @franciscofranco for all the information on which kernel wakelocks that is safe to block
    • @Phalanx7621 for his phenomenal how-to guide
    • @Lord Boeffla for his awesome generic kernel wakelock blocker
    • @pkgnex for inspiring me walking into this partially unknown territory.
    • @flar2 for his excellent EXKM application and ElementalX Kernel
    • @osm0sisfor his Magisk Busybox module
    • Everyone that I've forgotten to mention here
    Telegram:
    If you want to try out betas / previews of my script before they are officially released, or just hangout and chat a little, then join the official Telegram group here

To-Do list:
    • Optimize and properly tune things even further for best possible balance between battery life, system responsivness and performance

Contributors:
    @xFirefly93

Created: 2019-01-07
    Last updated: 2019-01-07
    All news, announcements and updates regarding BlackenedMod for P3(XL) will be moved to my thread over in the Pixel 3 XL forum here from now on, so everyone around here is fully updated.
    A little, but important, update will be released at the end of this week once I am off from work. Perhaps at Saturday if everything is going as planned!

Just wait.

How have the initial release btw performed so far for everyone? :highfive:
    cheers