MOD[Camera] Less Aggressive Sharpening | Noise Reduction

Search This thread
So, I decided what have I got to lose and flashed the zip with the modifications, less the binning (which I still believe is a disadvantage). I can confirm it DOES make a difference even in the preview, so apps like Snapchat and Augmented Reality (aka Pokemon Go, etc) which seem to use the frame buffer preview, now have clean un-sharpened images. Much much better.
Can you show some before and after pictures?

Reactions: fr3d0x

Dishe

Oct 18, 2006
I wish I had saved some before pictures to compare, but there weren't any worth keeping. I hated the sharpening. We just started using Google Photos or organize our pictures so I delete ones which aren't actually ones we want to archive.
I can post after photos if you want, but I don't know how helpful they'd be.

Dishe

Oct 18, 2006
Well what do you know, I found a shot of my desk I had taken with the stock app to check for aliasing on hard lines.
I tried to line up a similar shot with my phone now that I've flashed the zip to reduce sharpening and NR, but the mess on my desk is somewhat different now, so it doesn't line up exactly. Also, the newer shot picked a different exposure so it seems more evenly lit, however I don't think that has anything to do with the modification. That's just me being more careful with setting the focus / exposure point this time around.
But you can see the 2nd image doesn't suffer from the over-sharpening thing, and the fine detail in things like lines and letter is preserved. I have no idea why Moto decided it was better with all that extra stuff on, this is clearly nicer looking to me.

Reactions: ehbm
Well what do you know, I found a shot of my desk I had taken with the stock app to check for aliasing on hard lines.
I tried to line up a similar shot with my phone now that I've flashed the zip to reduce sharpening and NR, but the mess on my desk is somewhat different now, so it doesn't line up exactly. Also, the newer shot picked a different exposure so it seems more evenly lit, however I don't think that has anything to do with the modification. That's just me being more careful with setting the focus / exposure point this time around.
But you can see the 2nd image doesn't suffer from the over-sharpening thing, and the fine detail in things like lines and letter is preserved. I have no idea why Moto decided it was better with all that extra stuff on, this is clearly nicer looking to me.
Nice, thanks. I'm gonna try this mod.

dunderball

Jul 7, 2012
[/COLOR]
Do these end up being applied systemlessly?

I could not get the files to work manually. I renamed all of the originals, copied over the new ones, and my camera app force closes...

I also noticed that the files in the Magisk zip is /system/vendor/libs rather than /system/vendor/lib -- is that a typo?

Edit: Nevermind, I noticed that the config.sh has the path set correctly also

Edit2: Just cross out everything I said. Works great as a Magisk module.

Last edited:

dunderball

Jul 7, 2012
Magisk module fixed and updated

Hi everyone - I took the liberty of updating the Chromatix Magisk Module to the latest v1500 template (should only be used with Magisk 15 and higher).

I also believe there is a mistake in the original Magisk Module posted earlier in the thread. The config file is loading /system/vendor/libs when it should be /system/vendor/lib. The REPLACE list should also be blank. Attempting to replace /system/vendor/lib will result in a bootloop.

Credit goes to @defcomg for the original libraries.

Attachments

• defcomg-chromatixMOD.zip
    152.5 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:

Dishe

Oct 18, 2006
Hi everyone - I took the liberty of updating the Chromatix Magisk Module to the latest v1500 template (should only be used with Magisk 15 and higher).

I also believe there is a mistake in the original Magisk Module posted earlier in the thread. The config file is loading /system/vendor/libs when it should be /system/vendor/lib. The REPLACE list should also be blank. Attempting to replace /system/vendor/lib will result in a bootloop.

Credit goes to @defcomg for the original libraries.

Nice, thanks for that. Never delved into Magisk personally on this phone yet- I'm still unrooted. :)
Hope the old script didn't mess anyone up if they used it!

ugupta100

Jun 28, 2015
Sometimes over sharpening looks good!

Attachments

• IMG_20180109_074353955_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180109_074353955_HDR.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 1,249

Dishe

Oct 18, 2006
breaks camera on latest pe 8.1 rom
Custom ROMs do their own thing when it comes to lib files like chromatix. I wouldn't apply this without first looking into it on a custom. For stock rom, this is a must have. For rom developers, I hope they refer to this and not to the Moto stock libraries. But there's no guarantee any of this will work or even be beneficial once you're off the reservation.

Sometimes over sharpening looks good!

If it does I haven't seen an example of it yet.
People can still get decent shots with the stock cam and libs under the right circumstances, but that's not because the sharpening enhances it- rather it looks good DESPITE it. Imagine how much better the picture would be without some filter mucking up the contrast in things like text and fine brick details!

ugupta100

Jun 28, 2015
Custom ROMs do their own thing when it comes to lib files like chromatix. I wouldn't apply this without first looking into it on a custom. For stock rom, this is a must have. For rom developers, I hope they refer to this and not to the Moto stock libraries. But there's no guarantee any of this will work or even be beneficial once you're off the reservation.

If it does I haven't seen an example of it yet.
People can still get decent shots with the stock cam and libs under the right circumstances, but that's not because the sharpening enhances it- rather it looks good DESPITE it. Imagine how much better the picture would be without some filter mucking up the contrast in things like text and fine brick details!

Yeah I wish they had raw enabled in the stock app atleast. Waiting for my warranty to get over.

ugupta100

Jun 28, 2015
Why wait 1year for warranty? If device had any nook, you will know within 3 months and if you are interested in waiting give it atleast 6 month. You will know the quality of the product.

Yeah but i don't feel good ditching the warranty. Anyway waiting for official oreo. Camera is not that important to me.

imsurazz

Aug 10, 2013
New Delhi
I replaced the files but I found out that the primary camera has stopped working and there's no way to switch to it. Only front camera works. Need help.

ksvirdi105

Aug 13, 2017
@defcomg libmm file breaking camera suddenly. i did this before on latest pe, but i reflashed but now only chromatix mod works but libmm breaks camera. please how to fix.

Top Liked Posts