[MOD]Creating EXT4 Partition for sgs4g

Search This thread

dsexton702

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 14, 2011
South Lake Tahoe
Hello wonderful sgs4g community, i hope you are all excited about all our new stuff as i am. Anyways now that drhonk has built ext4 into our kernel we can now go ahead and do SOME ext4 mods. here is the guide on how to create an ext4 partition so that you can use the link2sd app so:

A:you can have an ext4 sdcard filesystem
B: create more internal space for your apps(takes away even more bloat)

Here is what you will need:
A computer

MICRO ADAPTER or USB CABLE to plug into the computer

drhonks new 2.1 bali kernel

mini tool partition wizard(or any other program that does this) you can find it here: http://download.cnet.com/Partition-...62200.html?part=dl-6285158&subj=dl&tag=button

link2sd apk you can find that here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=919326

Now go ahead and mount your sdcard to computer with the micro adapter

go into mini tool and click on your sdcard
press move/resize
go ahead and resize from 256mb 512mb or 1g off from your original size
THE UNALLOCATED WILL BE THE SIZE OF YOUR NEW PARTITION
now go to the unallocated amount and press create partition
make sure that you do ext4 and make sure it is PRIMARY not logical!!!
press apply!
bam you go ext4

now put your sdcard back in and go to link2sd
it will tell you to go into recovery and mount your sdcard
sooooo

go into cwm and go to mounts and storage then make sure you have your sdcard say UNMOUNT
reboot
go back into link2sd and click ext4 when it pops up,
NOW move all the files THAT ARE NOT SYSTEM FILES(which it wont let you do anyways) and your all done

afterwards you should have from 375mb to 440mb of free internal space

have fun :D

Thanks to:
Fknfocused for pushing me to do this
drhonk for the kernel ext4 patch
wizard(i saw he did the link2sd first so i decided to do it)
and the rest of the community for being awesome

Last edited:

wizardslovak

Mar 24, 2011
Uhh thank you for posting my name there )) well it works ... if you guys want and know how to use linux u can do it from there too ... if anyone needs help ley me know ...
Link2sd is only way I thought off to check if kernel mounts ext4 ...damn glad about that faulks
Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA App

mopar2ltr

Jan 29, 2011
EXT4

I used ubuntu and gparted inserted the mini sd into the adaptor created the partitions then placed it back into the phone and ran links2sd worked like a champ did that this am your way seems easier good write up

wizardslovak

Mar 24, 2011
Dunno man I ditched windows few years back and ain't regretting it ....using xubuntu as desktop and ubuntu.srv ,debian and centos as servers

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA App

farwek

Apr 23, 2011
Houston, TX
ok i did something all wackey... lol for some reason i can only see 1.89 gb of my sd card on my phone and on mini tool partition it shows that i have 12 gb in fat32 and 1.89 gb unallocated. there is nothing i can figure out on how to get the two partitions of the sd card to join back together. even the minitool thinks they are two seperate devices. does anyone know what i can do to fix this and start over from the beginning? sorry guys im a linux newbie but i am having fun while learning. :p

adas1223

May 11, 2011
I get an error each time i make an unallocated partition and click 'create'.. anyone else run into this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello wonderful sgs4g community, i hope you are all excited about all our new stuff as i am. Anyways now that drhonk has built ext4 into our kernel we can now go ahead and do SOME ext4 mods. here is the guide on how to create an ext4 partition so that you can use the link2sd app so:

A:you can have an ext4 sdcard filesystem
    B: create more internal space for your apps(takes away even more bloat)

Here is what you will need:
    A computer

MICRO ADAPTER or USB CABLE to plug into the computer

drhonks new 2.1 bali kernel

mini tool partition wizard(or any other program that does this) you can find it here: http://download.cnet.com/Partition-...62200.html?part=dl-6285158&subj=dl&tag=button

link2sd apk you can find that here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=919326

Now go ahead and mount your sdcard to computer with the micro adapter

go into mini tool and click on your sdcard
    press move/resize
    go ahead and resize from 256mb 512mb or 1g off from your original size
    THE UNALLOCATED WILL BE THE SIZE OF YOUR NEW PARTITION
    now go to the unallocated amount and press create partition
    make sure that you do ext4 and make sure it is PRIMARY not logical!!!
    press apply!
    bam you go ext4

now put your sdcard back in and go to link2sd
    it will tell you to go into recovery and mount your sdcard
    sooooo

go into cwm and go to mounts and storage then make sure you have your sdcard say UNMOUNT
    reboot
    go back into link2sd and click ext4 when it pops up,
    NOW move all the files THAT ARE NOT SYSTEM FILES(which it wont let you do anyways) and your all done

afterwards you should have from 375mb to 440mb of free internal space

have fun :D

Thanks to:
    Fknfocused for pushing me to do this
    drhonk for the kernel ext4 patch
    wizard(i saw he did the link2sd first so i decided to do it)
    and the rest of the community for being awesome
    ok i did something all wackey... lol for some reason i can only see 1.89 gb of my sd card on my phone and on mini tool partition it shows that i have 12 gb in fat32 and 1.89 gb unallocated. there is nothing i can figure out on how to get the two partitions of the sd card to join back together. even the minitool thinks they are two seperate devices. does anyone know what i can do to fix this and start over from the beginning? sorry guys im a linux newbie but i am having fun while learning. :p

to join the partitions back together you simply wipe the 1.89 partition then go to resize/move the larger orginal partition and you resize it back up to as far as it can go, its simple :D

also did you make sure to press the apply button after you created the partition if you dont apply it wont save changes and you'll just have an unallocated size not a real ext4 partition
    Thanks brotha! im doing this right now.

lemme know if i missed something or, something went wrong :D
    ok will do, did I need to assign a drive letter for this partition? it just defaulted to *

i just named my ext4 im not sure if it matters
    got it, thanks again. should i stay away from linking widgets? does it break like moving the app to SD?

it doesnt effect app2sd and to be honest you dont need app2sd after you do this trick, and im not positive about widgets i think they might be safe though