[MOD] Custom Boot Splash

Search This thread

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
Typically users beat me to the punch on things such as this. But no one has yet to do so, so here it is.

How to extract your param partition:

Code:
It's located in  /dev/block/sda4. On device terminal or in adb terminal as root run,

dd if=/dev/block/sda4 of=/sdcard/param.bin bs=4096

Now that your param partition has been dumped you can copy it off the device as I do to work with it. Untar it with this command on linux:
Code:
mkdir /param
cd param
tar xf /path/to/param.bin

Once its untared to the param directory, you will see the contents. logo.jpg being the file you wish to change.

Once you have found/made a proper logo/splash in the proper resolution of 1440x2560 copy it to the param folder overwriting the old logo.jpg, and run this command in the param folder to pack it back up:
Code:
tar cf - `ls | sort -t.` > /path/to/where/you/want/to/save/param.bin
NOTE: The param partition has limited space, so keep this in mind. I have successfully used a 400kb jpeg with out issues. I wouldn't go much more then that.

Place the param.bin back on your sdcard and run the following to flash it:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/param.bin of=/dev/block/sda4 bs=4096

Reboot and enjoy.

Users wishing to deploy all these commands on device (if you don't run linux) here is a script I made, tested and working to do so. Place files on device accordingly.
Code:
#!/sbin/busybox sh

# Extracting  param partition
mkdir /sdcard/param
cd /sdcard/param
tar xf /sdcard/param.bin

# Replaceing logo.jpg, repacking and writing back to device
cp -f /sdcard/logo.jpg /sdcard/param/logo.jpg
rm -f /sdcard/param.bin
tar cf - `ls | sort -t.` > /sdcard/param.bin

Attached you will find a flashable zip of a custom boot screen i made. You're all welcome to use. As well as the Stock param.bin in case users wish to go back. And the image I made for the custom boot splash I'm attaching.

Attachments

• Custom_Boot_Logo.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 7,214
  • Stock_Boot_Logo.zip
    986.9 KB · Views: 6,442

jah2110

Sep 21, 2014
Typically users beat me to the punch on things such as this. But no one has yet to do so, so here it is.

Code:
It's located in  /dev/block/sda4. On device terminal or in adb terminal as root run,

Now that your param partition has been dumped you can copy it off the device as I do to work with it. Untar it with this command on linux:
Code:
mkdir /param
cd param

Once its untared to the param directory, you will see the contents. logo.jpg being the file you wish to change.

Once you have found/made a proper logo/splash in the proper resolution of 1440x2560 copy it to the param folder overwriting the old logo.jpg, and run this command in the param folder to pack it back up:
Code:
NOTE: The param partition has limited space, so keep this in mind. I have successfully used a 400kb jpeg with out issues. I wouldn't go much more then that.

Code:

Reboot and enjoy.

Users wishing to deploy all these commands on device (if you don't run linux) here is a script I made, tested and working to do so. Place files on device accordingly.
Code:
#!/sbin/busybox sh

mkdir /sdcard/param
cd /sdcard/param
tar xf /sdcard/param.bin

rm -f /sdcard/param.bin

Attached you will find a flashable zip of a custom boot screen i made. You're all welcome to use. As well as the Stock param.bin in case users wish to go back. And the image I made for the custom boot splash I'm attaching.

Very nice! Thanks

solitarymonkey

Jan 21, 2011
Northamptonshire
This looks awesome! I'll have to prep an image to try out!

Edit:
After giving this a try, I appear to have managed to brick my phone. It seems that the only thing I can boot into is Download mode, and reflashing the firmware has not fixed this. Any ideas on how to resolve this? Much appreciated!!
Edit 2:
I saved myself with the Smart Sync (or whatever it's called) program on my PC. I was only able to do it though because I had written down the "Serial Number" for "just in case" purposes some time ago. I'm actually going to do a separate post to make this point for anyone who has similar issues but not from modifying boot splash.

Last edited:
Reactions: jelbo

mojo_89

May 10, 2015
Singapore
The attached zip files work perfect on my S6 Edge. I unzipped the file, copied param.bin to my sdcard and used dd from the shell. Still trying to get a custom image to work. Getting a grey screen when I replace logo.jpg with my own. Any ideas?

Thanks again for sharing this -Mr. X-.

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
I used Gimp, then i opened the picture in Microsoft Paint and re-saved it. I also ran into this but didn't know if Gimp was the cause but., this method worked for me.

It should also work on the edge but ensure your param partition is sda4 just to be safe.

Reactions: mojo_89

mojo_89

May 10, 2015
Singapore
The grey screen seems to be an issue while packing the files back with tar on Mac. I used photoshop on mac to make logo.jpg and packed it using tar on ubuntu. Works on 925I. And sda4 is the partition on edge as well for the bootsplash. Thanks for the help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

Code:
    mkdir /param
    cd param

Code:

Code:

Reboot and enjoy.

Code:
    #!/sbin/busybox sh

mkdir /sdcard/param
    cd /sdcard/param
    tar xf /sdcard/param.bin

rm -f /sdcard/param.bin

I have flashed this zip twice still nothing same stock splash. I have a sprint galaxy 6 edge on 5.1.1 rooted stock rom

I have a Sprint S6 Edge also. The param.bin is located in sda7. You can change the updater script to sda7 instead of sda4. It will flash fine. I've been trying for days to replace it with @wildjeep Ramified logo, but I just can't get it to repack properly.
    thanx to @-Mr. X- iv made a different boot splash and made a thread on which i will be addin more and different ones

note5'd-s6-arter97_powerhouse_?
    Witch phone do you have ?

S6 europe version
    (SM-G920F)

i did it, and done!

Thank you for your support!
    I add from myself. Already finished assembly.
    background_s6.jpg

Astore.me_Boot_Logo_Dragon_S6.zip
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone