[MOD] Customize Call Screen greetings on your Pixels

Search This thread

redlee90

Sep 23, 2012
Palo Alto
Call screen is awesome but most people would just hang up right after they hear "Hi, the person you're calling is using a screening service...". So I figured out a way to customize screen call greetings and other built-in screen call audios. Please follow these steps:

1. Make sure your Pixel is rooted since you will have to modify app data inside the /data/data directory. Also make sure call screen is activated on your phone as this ensures that all audio files are already downloaded before we proceed to next steps.

2. Use any root explorer -- in my case solid explorer, to navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/cache/incall_audio_files directory.

3. You can see two folders. one contains audio files for female voices (suffixed with "_f"), the other one has audio files for male voices(suffixed with "_d"). Open folder of your choice (male/female voice) and you will find a list of audio files. Locate the ones you are interested in and replaced them with your own voice. I used "Audio Recorder" from F-droid to do the recording. The default audio files that Google used for call screen are in opus format so you might want to record your own voice in this format as well. After that just give it the same name as the audio file you want to replace and use any root explore to replace it. If you look at the attachment, I only replaced the file audio for greetings ("Hi, the person...").

I tested this on my Pixel 3 XL with Phone apps from version 27.0.225048436 to 29.0.232527399. I believe it should work on all phones that have call screen enabled including but not limited to Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel and Pixel XL. That being said, your mileage may vary.

UPDATE1:
For version 29 and above, audio files are now located under "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/call_screen_audio_messages". To quickly locate which audio file to replace, open "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/manifests/call-screen-audio-messages-1" and you can find the map between audio file name and its corresponding call screen audio transcript. See second attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190212-172812.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212-172812.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 3,531
  • Screenshot_20190219_233407.jpg
    Screenshot_20190219_233407.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 2,970
Last edited:

virtyx

Jan 3, 2011
Sure would be awesome if we ever got it here in Canada. No idea what the hold up is. Phone set to US English. Ridiculous Google...

Same thing in Australia
it was one of the key selling points by google - they forgot to mentions it only works in the US.

i wonder if anyone has found a way to enable it globally .

swieder711

Aug 31, 2011
Boston
Interesting. I am on v28, my cache folder seems to have only persistent_log. I am going to try later.

On my Pixel 3 XL the folder /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/cache only has a subfolder persistent_log. I am running version 29 of the phone dialer and the Feb patch.

It would be great to modify the audio file for the call screener. I have call screener ENABLED.

What is the full name of the audio file that you are replacing? Maybe I can Find it via Root Explorer. (never mind, I saw your screen grab with the file listed).

EDIT - I see that I am running phone v29-publicbeta. See attached.

Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190219-122552.png
    Screenshot_20190219-122552.png
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,086
Last edited:

redlee90

Sep 23, 2012
Palo Alto
On my Pixel 3 XL the folder /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/cache only has a subfolder persistent_log. I am running version 29 of the phone dialer and the Feb patch.

It would be great to modify the audio file for the call screener. I have call screener ENABLED.

What is the full name of the audio file that you are replacing? Maybe I can Find it via Root Explorer. (never mind, I saw your screen grab with the file listed).

Any other suggestions?
For version 29, audio files are now located under "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/call_screen_audio_messages". To quickly locate which audio file to replace, open "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/manifests/call-screen-audio-messages-1" and you can find the map between audio file name and its corresponding call screen audio transcript.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190219_233407.jpg
    Screenshot_20190219_233407.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 710
Reactions: swieder711

swieder711

Aug 31, 2011
Boston
For version 29, audio files are now located under "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/call_screen_audio_messages". To quickly locate which audio file to replace, open "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/manifests/call-screen-audio-messages-1" and you can find the map between audio file name and its corresponding call screen audio transcript.

Here is what I tried:
  1. Checked the manifest (see screen shot)
  2. Found the call screen message, played it to double check,
  3. Created my own outbound message and renamed it to the same as listed in the manifest (attached, labelled zip so I could upload. It is an .opus file)
  4. Copied to this to the messages sub-folder, changed permissions to rw
  5. When I call my phone and screen it, the old message still played!
  6. Tried rebooting the phone. Maybe I need to clear the cache.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190220-103236.jpg
    Screenshot_20190220-103236.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 618
  • 037782923d79d7ab06c385f1b6114298.zip
    36.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

redlee90

Sep 23, 2012
Palo Alto
Here is what I tried:
Checked the manifest
Found the call screen message, played it to double check,
Created my own outbound message and renamed it to the same as listed in the manifest
Copied to this to the messages sub-folder, changed permissions to rw
When I call my phone and screen it, the old message still played!
Tried rebooting the phone. Maybe I need to clear the cache.

Any suggestions?
If you look at the manifest file you can see for each gender there are two "Hi, the person..." messages, they differ slightly as one is for known number and the other one is for unknown number. You need to replace both of the corresponding audio files for new greetings to kick in for call incoming calls. Please don't clear cache/storage for phone app as this will likely delete everything you have modified so far. Also no reboot is needed. The mod takes effect immediately.

swieder711

Aug 31, 2011
Boston
Has anyone else gotten this to work? I replaced both opus files listed in the manifest. My phone app crashed when I called it.

Ended up reinstalling the default app and resetting call screening.

Would like to try it again, but am not sure why my recent attempt failed.

Hearing a few success stories from others would encourage me to try again.

redlee90

Sep 23, 2012
Palo Alto
Has anyone else gotten this to work? I replaced both opus files listed in the manifest. My phone app crashed when I called it.

Ended up reinstalling the default app and resetting call screening.

Would like to try it again, but am not sure why my recent attempt failed.

Hearing a few success stories from others would encourage me to try again.

Did you keep those opus file names unchanged? Also, are your opus files valid? You can try my opus file at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tEAHgRJzTmTAk9l2oSU50xTYGAgTvEtQ/view (xda doesn't allow opus attachment so I I uploaded mine to Google drive). Make sure the file has the same name as the file you want to replace.

Last edited:

swieder711

Aug 31, 2011
Boston
(bumping in the hope to get some replies.)

Has anyone gotten the custom outbound message to work with Call Screening?

I would like to try changing it again. Before I do, I was hoping to hear a success story from another XDA member. I was unsuccessful the first time that I tried to change the call screening message.

swieder711

Aug 31, 2011
Boston

I would like to try changing it again. Before I do, I was hoping to hear a success story from another XDA member. I was unsuccessful the first time that I tried to change the call screening message.

Thanks

jasonlee0315

Sep 21, 2009

Thanks

I just confirmed that it still works on Google Phone app 43.0.289918615-publicbeta.

jasonlee0315

Sep 21, 2009
Can you please list the procedure that you used to customize the outbound call screen message?
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Step1: Use TTS website to generate and download each custom Call Screen messages which are all in *.mp3 file extension.

Step2: Use an online converter to convert *mp3 to *.opus.

Step3: Find the *.opus file that you want to replace in /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/call_screen_audio_messages/

Step4: Rename your *.opus file with the same name as the original file.

Step5: Replace the original *.opus file with your custom *opus file.

Step6: Force close Phone app.

Step7: Make a call to test the result.

Step8: Voila~ You got the custom Call Screen message.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Step1: Use TTS website to generate and download each custom Call Screen messages which are all in *.mp3 file extension.

Step3: Find the *.opus file that you want to replace in /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/call_screen_audio_messages/

OT: Does anyone know if this works on the Pixel 4/Pixel 4 XL?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Call screen is awesome but most people would just hang up right after they hear "Hi, the person you're calling is using a screening service...". So I figured out a way to customize screen call greetings and other built-in screen call audios. Please follow these steps:

1. Make sure your Pixel is rooted since you will have to modify app data inside the /data/data directory. Also make sure call screen is activated on your phone as this ensures that all audio files are already downloaded before we proceed to next steps.

2. Use any root explorer -- in my case solid explorer, to navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/cache/incall_audio_files directory.

3. You can see two folders. one contains audio files for female voices (suffixed with "_f"), the other one has audio files for male voices(suffixed with "_d"). Open folder of your choice (male/female voice) and you will find a list of audio files. Locate the ones you are interested in and replaced them with your own voice. I used "Audio Recorder" from F-droid to do the recording. The default audio files that Google used for call screen are in opus format so you might want to record your own voice in this format as well. After that just give it the same name as the audio file you want to replace and use any root explore to replace it. If you look at the attachment, I only replaced the file audio for greetings ("Hi, the person...").

I tested this on my Pixel 3 XL with Phone apps from version 27.0.225048436 to 29.0.232527399. I believe it should work on all phones that have call screen enabled including but not limited to Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel and Pixel XL. That being said, your mileage may vary.

UPDATE1:
    For version 29 and above, audio files are now located under "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/call_screen_audio_messages". To quickly locate which audio file to replace, open "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/manifests/call-screen-audio-messages-1" and you can find the map between audio file name and its corresponding call screen audio transcript. See second attachment.
    Which files did you modify and where were they located?

Files that you need to replace are all written in the "call_screen_audio_messages-2" and "call_screen_audio_messages-6". (Filename may vary)
    You can find those two files under this path \data\data\com.google.android.dialer\files\superpacks\manifests

Open these files with text editor and search for the Default Call Screen message you want to customize. After you find it, you can also find the corresponding file directory that contains the *.opus you need to replace.
    CallScreen.jpg

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I just confirmed that it still works on Google Phone app 43.0.289918615-publicbeta.
    Can you please list the procedure that you used to customize the outbound call screen message?
    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone