[MOD] Customize Call Screen greetings on your Pixels

Search This thread

swieder711

Aug 31, 2011
Boston
How do you know which Opus file is the one to replace?

I tried playing a bunch of the Opus files and they were all 0 seconds long.

I used "Opus File Player"

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jasonlee0315

Sep 21, 2009
Which files did you modify and where were they located?

Files that you need to replace are all written in the "call_screen_audio_messages-2" and "call_screen_audio_messages-6". (Filename may vary)
You can find those two files under this path \data\data\com.google.android.dialer\files\superpacks\manifests

Open these files with text editor and search for the Default Call Screen message you want to customize. After you find it, you can also find the corresponding file directory that contains the *.opus you need to replace.
CallScreen.jpg

Attachments

• CallScreen.jpg
    CallScreen.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

jasonlee0315

Sep 21, 2009
How do you know which Opus file is the one to replace?
I tried playing a bunch of the Opus files and they were all 0 seconds long.
I used "Opus File Player"

The Groove player that is pre-installed in Windows 10 can open and preview *.opus file. You don't even need to download any opus file player

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Call screen is awesome but most people would just hang up right after they hear "Hi, the person you're calling is using a screening service...". So I figured out a way to customize screen call greetings and other built-in screen call audios. Please follow these steps:

1. Make sure your Pixel is rooted since you will have to modify app data inside the /data/data directory. Also make sure call screen is activated on your phone as this ensures that all audio files are already downloaded before we proceed to next steps.

2. Use any root explorer -- in my case solid explorer, to navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/cache/incall_audio_files directory.

3. You can see two folders. one contains audio files for female voices (suffixed with "_f"), the other one has audio files for male voices(suffixed with "_d"). Open folder of your choice (male/female voice) and you will find a list of audio files. Locate the ones you are interested in and replaced them with your own voice. I used "Audio Recorder" from F-droid to do the recording. The default audio files that Google used for call screen are in opus format so you might want to record your own voice in this format as well. After that just give it the same name as the audio file you want to replace and use any root explore to replace it. If you look at the attachment, I only replaced the file audio for greetings ("Hi, the person...").

I tested this on my Pixel 3 XL with Phone apps from version 27.0.225048436 to 29.0.232527399. I believe it should work on all phones that have call screen enabled including but not limited to Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel and Pixel XL. That being said, your mileage may vary.

UPDATE1:
    For version 29 and above, audio files are now located under "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/call_screen_audio_messages". To quickly locate which audio file to replace, open "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/manifests/call-screen-audio-messages-1" and you can find the map between audio file name and its corresponding call screen audio transcript. See second attachment.
    Which files did you modify and where were they located?

Files that you need to replace are all written in the "call_screen_audio_messages-2" and "call_screen_audio_messages-6". (Filename may vary)
    You can find those two files under this path \data\data\com.google.android.dialer\files\superpacks\manifests

Open these files with text editor and search for the Default Call Screen message you want to customize. After you find it, you can also find the corresponding file directory that contains the *.opus you need to replace.
    CallScreen.jpg
    On my Pixel 3 XL the folder /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/cache only has a subfolder persistent_log. I am running version 29 of the phone dialer and the Feb patch.

It would be great to modify the audio file for the call screener. I have call screener ENABLED.

What is the full name of the audio file that you are replacing? Maybe I can Find it via Root Explorer. (never mind, I saw your screen grab with the file listed).

EDIT - I see that I am running phone v29-publicbeta. See attached.

Any other suggestions?
    For version 29, audio files are now located under "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/call_screen_audio_messages". To quickly locate which audio file to replace, open "/data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/manifests/call-screen-audio-messages-1" and you can find the map between audio file name and its corresponding call screen audio transcript.
    Has anyone gotten the custom outbound message to work with Call Screening?

I would like to try changing it again. Before I do, I was hoping to hear a success story from another XDA member. I was unsuccessful the first time that I tried to change the call screening message.

Thanks

I just confirmed that it still works on Google Phone app 43.0.289918615-publicbeta.
    Can you please list the procedure that you used to customize the outbound call screen message?

Step1: Use TTS website to generate and download each custom Call Screen messages which are all in *.mp3 file extension.

Step2: Use an online converter to convert *mp3 to *.opus.

Step3: Find the *.opus file that you want to replace in /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/files/superpacks/call_screen_audio_messages/

Step4: Rename your *.opus file with the same name as the original file.

Step5: Replace the original *.opus file with your custom *opus file.

Step6: Force close Phone app.

Step7: Make a call to test the result.

Step8: Voila~ You got the custom Call Screen message.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone