• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD] DAB+ App for Klyde module (serial, rear, not USB) - reworked

Search This thread

JFDee

Sep 3, 2010
Strike03,

unfortunately, there are no good news ...
It turns out that your DAB hardware is entirely different from mine. The commands to access it have no relation to those used in my version of the "ugly" DAB app.

It looks like the ugly GUI was kept but the whole stuff to control the module was changed and is not compatible.
Furthermore, in your version of the app, there is a custom Microntek "SerialManager" which is used for opening a serial port that is not named.
In my version, the standard "SerialManager" from Android is used and the serial port's name is visible ("/dev/ttyV3").

I'm afraid I can't make my version work with your module. I would need the HU with the correct FW version and the specific DAB module on my desk ... I will append a correction to the "Klyde DAB App 1.5 Modded" thread.

Reactions: Strike03

Strike03

Jan 22, 2019
Strike03,

It turns out that your DAB hardware is entirely different from mine. The commands to access it have no relation to those used in my version of the "ugly" DAB app.

Sad to hear,but thanks a lot for your help,work and time you spent on this topic.Maybee i buy one day a usb dongle or i live with the ugly interface of my klyde module Treibstoff has already improved,but not so nice like you.Your program entries for example are much more readable and easy tradable with a resolution of 800x480

Last edited:

biboss

Oct 18, 2018
With my new headunit (PX5 Oreo from Autojeta, based on Klyde KD-7602), I had ordered an external DAB+ module which is connected with a proprietary cable to the rear socket panel. It has a serial control connection, power and likely a TOS audio wire.

The app for operating the module which was offered for download is incomplete, to say the least. Presets weren't working at all, it was not even possible to save any.
So I did a bit of re-engineering and built a DAB+ controller how I imagined it.

View attachment 4657027

Changes against the original:

- Many, total rewrite
- Infotext is complete (the last character was always missing before)
- New layout, eye- and finger-friendly
- No more ugly images and buttons
- Plenty of room for long infotexts
- Presets are working
- Setup window for less-used options
- Unnecessary permissions and resources removed
- German translation included

Update 2019-01-30:

- extended compatibility down to Android KitKat (4.4)
- empty preset entries can be clicked anywhere to set; no need to hit the edit button
- attempt to make layout independent from resolution

If anybody is interested, I can provide the "strings" files so that more translations are possible.

Enjoy!

Current version: 1.2

great work , i have try it and work very well . you think is possible to insert DLS picture in this app ?

JFDee

Sep 3, 2010
this is the module that I have in my radio, the audio does not come out in digital but it has analog audio coming out of a connector on 2 wires L + R and gnd. I wrote to SHIWA some time ago for documentation without ever having been answered
Interesting info!

I did not really research the audio part, so it was just an assumption that there is a digital signal coming out of the SHINWA module.

Anyway, I have recently ordered a DAB+ module for USB connection. Let's see if I can make this work with my rewrite.

ACSlater

Mar 29, 2007
Strike03,

It looks like the ugly GUI was kept but the whole stuff to control the module was changed and is not compatible.
Furthermore, in your version of the app, there is a custom Microntek "SerialManager" which is used for opening a serial port that is not named.
In my version, the standard "SerialManager" from Android is used and the serial port's name is visible ("/dev/ttyV3").

I have the old DAB box that works with the 1.5 app. Is there a chance that the old box will work with a PX5 head unit? It seems the connections are there but not in use, if you look at these connections:

HTB163uss3aTBuNjSszfq6xgfpXat.jpg

The ones that my DAB box uses are the second from the left on the top row and first left bottom row, of the modular connections.

EDIT: nevermind, the connections fit but the DAB app will not install on a PX5 Android 8.1.

Last edited:
Reactions: JFDee

Slavikstr

Sep 15, 2019
Lviv
With my new headunit (PX5 Oreo from Autojeta, based on Klyde KD-7602), I had ordered an external DAB+ module which is connected with a proprietary cable to the rear socket panel. It has a serial control connection, power and likely a TOS audio wire.

The app for operating the module which was offered for download is incomplete, to say the least. Presets weren't working at all, it was not even possible to save any.

View attachment 4657027

- Many, total rewrite
- Presets are working

Update 2019-01-30:

- empty preset entries can be clicked anywhere to set; no need to hit the edit button

If anybody is interested, I can provide the "strings" files so that more translations are possible.

Enjoy!

Current version: 1.2

Hi , dear friend. I found your very good forum with interest themes for me.
I bought the same Dab adapter like you. Seller is the same like you show in links on aliexpress (2nd link)
I connect cabels to player and antenna, installed app, what send me saller, but app not starting... after seller send enather app , but app not started.... seller dnot know what else to try. I ask brand of my player in player seller. He answer - Klude. What can you advise to me ?

Last edited:

Webby2112

Mar 8, 2020
Belsee head unit 9.0

Hi
Will this app work with a belsee Chinese head unit running android 9.0 connected to the rear of the unit not the usb.
Cheers.

JFDee

Sep 3, 2010
Privacy policy for DAB+ Radio for Klyde Headunit Module

This application is free. There are no ads.

It does not store, use or transmit user data. It does not even build any network connection.

It stores only application settings, like the list of stations.

Promise.

hubi07

Apr 20, 2016
Update 2021-05-14:

A new version, a bit of cross-promotion for annother variant (USB DAB modules) - and some interesting new insights ...

I have managed to build a new app with the same UI concept, but this time for USB DAB receivers. I know there is already the excellent DAB-Z, and I want in no way compete with it.

I just like simplicity; that's why I transferred the UI part of the "old" app to the one for USB.
In the process, I also added some improvements to this one, so there is a version "2.0.0" now.
To help with future updates and statistics, I published it on Google Play:

Changes included against the old version here:
- Some UI changes, nothing fundamental
- Now up to three text chunks are displayed, eliminating the frequent change
- Station lists are ordered alphabetically
Hi JFdee and Treibstoff
Since January I have the Pumpkin AA0515B-D01
Android 10
with built-in DAB + module
The included DAB + App is ingrained and refuses to update the Klyde App from the Play Store.
I can't uninstall this App either
Can you help me?

JFDee

Sep 3, 2010
I believe there's a bit of work to install magisk and obtain root, for MTCD/E devices. They are not enabled from factory.

Maybe I was over-optimistic. My Klyde unit hat root access from the factory (I think) but I'm on HAL9K now where there is no question obviously about having root.

So installing a proven custom ROM might be the easiest way to get root access AND to get rid of unwanted apps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 2021-05-14:

A new version, a bit of cross-promotion for annother variant (USB DAB modules) - and some interesting new insights ...

I have managed to build a new app with the same UI concept, but this time for USB DAB receivers. I know there is already the excellent DAB-Z, and I want in no way compete with it.

I just like simplicity; that's why I transferred the UI part of the "old" app to the one for USB.
    In the process, I also added some improvements to this one, so there is a version "2.0.0" now.
    To help with future updates and statistics, I published it on Google Play:

Changes included against the old version here:
    - Some UI changes, nothing fundamental
    - Now up to three text chunks are displayed, eliminating the frequent change
    - Station lists are ordered alphabetically

We are MONO !!

At some point I realized that there was definitely no Stereo audio when listening on the DAB+ app. First I suspected misconfiguration, maybe the wrong MCU firmware. However there were no changes, whatever I tried. What's suspicious though is that there is signal on both speakers. That implies that the distribution to both channels must be done deliberately at some point, else only one speaker would get a signal.

Anyway, for the new development, I pulled the headunit out of the car and set it on my desk. This allowed me to run hands-on experiments. And voilà: I managed to stick some thin cables into the output plug of the module - and got regular Stereo sound out of it immediately!

It turned out the cable of one of those channels was CUT right before the HU plug !!!
    It seems that there was a lack of pins in that plug/socket, so only one channel goes into the HU and is obviously routed to both speakers internally ...

<To be continued >

----------------------------

Original post:

mydab_screen_shrunk.jpg

- Many, total rewrite
    - Presets are working

Update 2019-01-30:

Enjoy!

Current version: 1.2 (obsolete, see 2.0.x on Google Play)
    Nice work. It is compatible also with the USB receiver version ?

No, I don't have such a device.

This version is hard-wired to use /dev/ttyV3, a serial port that is related to the firmware. It will only communicate if "com.microntek.CarManager" is instantiated in the Java code.

I suspect that the USB version may be very similar though. Can you point to an app that DOES work with it? I could have a look.

if you could add station logos it would be great:D

I can't say if the DAB+ module can provide these. It's basically a "black box" that accepts serial control commands and returns station parameters and infotext updates. The sound seems to come out as a digital stream over some of the cables in the proprietary connector.

So far, I'm using the unchanged control commands from the original program because there is no documentation of what they do. It's obvious which ones start the station scan or change the station, but there may be others that provide further functions.

The module inside the housing is a shielded circuit, which I suspect can be found in many car and stationary radios. It says SHINWA on the shield.

Edit: This is the module in the box:
    http://www.shinwa.com.cn/product/meBroadcast/backdab/DB-MF03.html

I'm sure the documentation of the commands is available for purchase ...

apk.file.Message is : parsing problem .I have a mtcb unit with the latest malaysk Android rk3188 4.4.4 800x480 rom.
    I only tested with Android 8 here. I will test again in an emulator with Android 4.4.
    I own a pumpkin 8core android 8 mtcd KLD so i suppose it's same klyde like yours and then the rear serial interface must work right?
    I don't see why it shouldn't. The hardware layout looks identical.

The app also works fine with Hal9k.