• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD] Data Latency (Slow Data) Fix

Search This thread

mysterioustko

Sep 15, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
thesmartphonechamp.com
I've noticed that the data on the Sensation seems to have a bit of latency. I decided to poke around in the phone as much as I can and I found a setting called "toggle ciphering". When I turned "toggle cyphering" off, my data seemed to greatly improve. I am not getting the same data lag that I was previously getting. Hopefully this isn't just some coincidence. Well without further delay, here's what I did:
-Go into the dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#*
-Select Phone Info
-Go to the "toggle cyphering" button and disable it
-For good measure turn off radio and then turn it back on
-Then reenable the "toggle cyphering" button

This seems to have made a difference for me, hopefully this helps everyone. Please post your results after doing this. :)

P.S. Mods I meant to put this thread in the General section. Sorry about that :)

Last edited:

catohagen

May 27, 2010
might be unsafe settings to play with, but i did try 'toggle cyphering' off and damn
the speed is really noticable faster...

thx for the tip :)

mysterioustko

Sep 15, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
thesmartphonechamp.com
might be unsafe settings to play with, but i did try 'toggle cyphering' off and damn
the speed is really noticable faster...

thx for the tip :)

ok good to see it isn't just me. Also I found that you can turn the cyphering back on and still maintain the speed increase. Browsing on my Sensation is now faster than on my G2X when I compared them side by side. Before my G2X was winning hands down, now the Sensation is coming out faster.

ChrisAC84

Nov 11, 2009
Clinton, TN
It seems to have helped. I used to get Network error on the Market a few times, even though I had 4 bars on a 4G connection. Now it connected right away after a few seconds, and only one network error. Thanks for the tip. What would happen if we just left the data ciphering off?

dr9722

Oct 8, 2008
Newhaven
Thanks for the tip.

Excuse the noob question but is the UK version of the Sensation 4G capable? I know the UK doesnt have 4G infrastructure in place yet but if I was to take the phone to the States for example would I get a 4G connection?

madindehead

Apr 14, 2009
Thanks for the tip.

Excuse the noob question but is the UK version of the Sensation 4G capable? I know the UK doesnt have 4G infrastructure in place yet but if I was to take the phone to the States for example would I get a 4G connection?

As far as I know it wouldn't, as it doesn't have the correct hardware inside it to connect to 4G data bands. Our devices are GSM here, in the States, it's CDMA.

eadred

Jan 21, 2010
I've noticed that the data on the Sensation seems to have a bit of latency. I decided to poke around in the phone as much as I can and I found a setting called "toggle ciphering". When I turned "toggle cyphering" off, my data seemed to greatly improve. I am not getting the same data lag that I was previously getting. Hopefully this isn't just some coincidence. Well without further delay, here's what I did:
-Select Phone Info

This seems to have made a difference for me, hopefully this helps everyone. Please post your results after doing this. :)

P.S. Mods I meant to put this thread in the General section. Sorry about that :)

I just don't understand what it means 'turn off radio'? You mean mobile data, or what? Thanks

rahan95

Aug 30, 2006
Works very well for me too.

I had noticed Speedtest would fail the upload test on my device all the time, just freezing

Now, I'm getting an excellent 1.6 Mbps upload speed !

Thanks !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -Select Phone Info

What are your apn settings?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA Premium App

APN settings are what I had used to use on my Nexus one.
    Name: T-Mobile USA
    APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Proxy: (leave this blank)
    Port: (leave this blank)
    Username: (leave this blank)
    Password: (leave this blank)
    Server: (leave this blank)
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 260
    Authentication type: None <<<<<this is a choice. Click on this to choose
    APN Type: default,supl,mms

I leave the other APN alone. I edited the stock one and then when finished used menu tab and choose save APN.
    Did you notice he said "turn it back on" afterwards :p

:)
    The OP was edited.
    The Turn back on is from post#4
    As far as I know it wouldn't, as it doesn't have the correct hardware inside it to connect to 4G data bands. Our devices are GSM here, in the States, it's CDMA.

Actually, T-Mo is GSM over here in the States, too.
    The other way to do this and fix it permanently is by calling 611 and asking to have your SIM resynced with the network. This will fix the lag and is why the issue is there in the first place.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App