[MOD] Dialer (AOSP) to Google Dialer, works with odexed ROM/ART - NOW also themed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

sd3993

Jan 9, 2013
Is the incoming call screen working priperly with 4.4.2 Google Dialer? I mean is it still showing little phone icons instead of dots??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

overclockthesun

Jul 29, 2011
Mumbai (Bombay)
Hey Bro, if you didn't figured out why the phone providers crashes, here's the solution:
Go to the system folder/data/data/ and than delete some corpses of the replaced apps.
I deletet all 3 corpes: com.google.android.dailer, com.android.providers.telephony and com.android.phone

Add that stuff to your script and implement a backup solution. Finish.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
@Thyrus and @abuttino, I can confirm this works. No fc's at all after deleting the above 3 folders. It just works fine after that :) Please add that to the script, it will make this a universal script I think as this method also worked on my moms xperia too.

Edit I also noticed something new. If I flash the zip in conjunction with Banks Gapps when starting with a clean rom (ext4 wipe for system and data) and then wipe cache and dalvik before starting, I do not get any fc's either.

So for me this works in 2 ways,
1) delete the above folders in /data/data. or
2) flash th zip with gapps and wipe cache and dalvik after flashing rom! (maybe this works as the 3 folders above are not yet populated with data since its a new installation)

Last edited:
Reactions: odysseus84

overclockthesun

Jul 29, 2011
Mumbai (Bombay)
@Thyrus and @abuttino, I can confirm this works. No fc's at all after deleting the above 3 folders. It just works fine after that :) Please add that to the script, it will make this a universal script I think as this method also worked on my moms xperia too.

Edit I also noticed something new. If I flash the zip in conjunction with Banks Gapps when starting with a clean rom (ext4 wipe for system and data) and then wipe cache and dalvik before starting, I do not get any fc's either.

So for me this works in 2 ways,
1) delete the above folders in /data/data. or
2) flash th zip with gapps and wipe cache and dalvik after flashing rom! (maybe this works as the 3 folders above are not yet populated with data since its a new installation)
@Thyrus and @abuttino

I have edited the script within the zip if it is ok with you guys to remove the dialer, phone, telephony folders from /data/data. Please give me feedback as to whether the zip is proper. This is the first time I have even tried editing a script let alone make one. I just thought that I would give this a try. Let me know if I have made proper edits and I hope its ok with you that I made some changes for the sake of convenience.

Attachments

• AOSP2GoogleDialer_ODEX_4_4_1_overclockthesun.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
I'll try it out a little later. Have some spark plugs to change. Did you change the one for 4.4.2 or 4.4.1?

A user reported to me a side effect of deleting the original CM dialer is that the LTE toggle in quicksettings stops working. I don't think anything can be done about this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

overclockthesun

Jul 29, 2011
Mumbai (Bombay)
I'll try it out a little later. Have some spark plugs to change. Did you change the one for 4.4.2 or 4.4.1?

A user reported to me a side effect of deleting the original CM dialer is that the LTE toggle in quicksettings stops working. I don't think anything can be done about this.

I just edited the 4.4.1 version. I will give the 4.4.2 a try too, although I cannot test the 4.4.2 one as my device is still on 4.4.1. Is it ok if I share the 4.4.1 version that I edited on the Moto Defy forum. I will be able to get quick response over there as pretty much everyone is flash happy :D. I will link back here to this thread.
Good luck with those spark plugs.

I have no idea about LTE. I only get 3g in my country.

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
That is his decision. Just to let you know, these dialers are public, any changes you make to a flashable zip are considered to be yours.

In other words, you really don't need anyone's permission.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Good luck with those spark plugs.

It's such an easy job. They are on the top of the engine. Never seen anything like it. My guess is 15 minutes. I've done some where you need to take the engine compartment apart, such as a windshield cowling.

With this, nothing to get in the way but air, lol

overclockthesun

Jul 29, 2011
Mumbai (Bombay)
That is his decision. Just to let you know, these dialers are public, any changes you make to a flashable zip are considered to be yours.

In other words, you really don't need anyone's permission.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

It's such an easy job. They are on the top of the engine. Never seen anything like it. My guess is 15 minutes. I've done some where you need to take the engine compartment apart, such as a windshield cowling.

With this, nothing to get in the way but air, lol

Thats good to know. So I will edit it and post here in that case. As far as the spark plugs go, Usually are easy. although its more easier to change the plug on a bike than a car. I never go under the hood of my Chevy. Its possessed it seems. Any time you open it up, and...bamm..... something stops working ...and its only 2 years old!

Anyway attached both the files for 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 here. Let me know how it goes. Forgot to unmount the /data in the previous upload. That is fixed in the new ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: qbanlinxx

qbanlinxx

Mar 30, 2011
Orlando
Thats good to know. So I will edit it and post here in that case. As far as the spark plugs go, Usually are easy. although its more easier to change the plug on a bike than a car. I never go under the hood of my Chevy. Its possessed it seems. Any time you open it up, and...bamm..... something stops working ...and its only 2 years old!

Anyway attached both the files for 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 here. Let me know how it goes. Forgot to unmount the /data in the previous upload. That is fixed in the new ones.

I'm getting an install error 6 using philz touch recovery, can anyone else confirm?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Da Baron

Mar 13, 2010
Hammond, LA.
I made a flashable zip that works. See the moto link in my signature.

Flash this after a backup. Didn't need to worry about wiping. Just move or delete dialer.apk after you boot with the new dialer.

The 4.4.2 zip you have works like a charm bro.
Much obliged,

Da Baron

Embluss

Jun 3, 2013
I'm getting an install error 6 using philz touch recovery, can anyone else confirm?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Got a similar error with TWRP. Edit: because I'm an idiot. Deodexed. Oh well, waiting game.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xCovErtWolFx757

Jan 15, 2012
Virginia Beach
Got a similar error with TWRP. Edit: because I'm an idiot. Deodexed. Oh well, waiting game.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Even if its odex it would still give you the error 6 message as the zip can't be flashed. Script most likely is fluked

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

The 4.4.2 zip you have works like a charm bro.
Much obliged,

Da Baron

Where did you see the link? I still can't find it

Da Baron

Mar 13, 2010
Hammond, LA.
Even if its odex it would still give you the error 6 message as the zip can't be flashed. Script most likely is fluked

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Where did you see the link? I still can't find it

Check out any @abuttino post and you'll see a red highlighted link below his posting > moto x downloads > from there you'll find multiple downloads he has created. Please hit the "thanks" button from whichever post you follow the link from OK. That's his only request so please honor that request.

Da Baron

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
Yeah just checked it. Even I am gettng an error. Deleting links ...willl put it up once the zip is working.

Which text editor did you use? I'd start with the original and then open in notepad+ and make site you select ANSI in encoding before you do any edits.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your script.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

mushan3420

Feb 22, 2013
Which text editor did you use? I'd start with the original and then open in notepad+ and make site you select ANSI in encoding before you do any edits.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your script.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

Could you make a deodexed version of TeleService.apk for 4.4.2?

pk92

Aug 22, 2011
London
4.4.2 Odex Zip from the OP works straight away after flashing on CM11 15-Dec-13. No need to delete data folders

Is it ok if I share the 4.4.1 version that I edited on the Moto Defy forum. I will be able to get quick response over there as pretty much everyone is flash happy :D.

I have a nexus 5, and still miss the Defy community. One of my favourite devices, but internal USB port broke :(
Quarx still keeping you running on 4.4? Genius that man...

Previous MB525 red lens owner

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium HD app.
• Stock ROM
• Faux Kernel
• Lots of Xposed Mods
Previous Devices: Motorola DEFY, HTC Sensation

Last edited:

mushan3420

Feb 22, 2013
Community,

As great as the custom ROMs are for the N5 on Kit Kat, the Google Dialer differs from the AOSP one included in many ROMs in certain aspects:

- uses the "old" 4.3 Phone Icon
- Misses the local search from your dialer app.

In order to help, I have put together 2 versions of the dialer, the teleservices (for phone) and the telephony provider.

Deodexed Version: Included all 3 apps deodexed (dialer, teleservices, telephony provider)
Odexed: Version; Contains APK and .odex files for the 3 apps

GAPPS uploaders are considering whether the Dialer is universal and may include it in their GAPPS in the neat future, for now, we need a seperate flashable zip.

Installation Change the dialer only: (ALWAYS make a backup before you test)
1. Depeding on your ROM, download the ODEX or DEODEX version. I highly recommend the odexed version, that is the one I use currently.
2. Install in recovery.
3. Clear cache/dalvik-cache
4. Reboot
NOTE: Depending on the ROM, you may see a f/c when booting from the com.android.phone apk. If that happens, you may need to WIPE your device and reboot. I have not understood yet why some roms have issues, and others do not. I just recently tested with a dirty wipe from CM11 to another AOSP rom, flashed the ROM, installed the Dialer-mod and it all works fine.

Downloads:

ODEXED Version 4.4
DEODEXED Version 4.4
ODEXED Version 4.4.1

NEW: ODEXED Version 4.4.2

None of them work with 4.4.2 on Nexus S if you try a clean flash.

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
Odd..
@overclockthesun I tried deleting these files manually and outing teleprov in the system directory, resulted in force closing. I am not sure how that works, it appears that some phones like it and some don't.

My guess is GSM only or CDMA with LTE/GSM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made a flashable zip that works. See the moto link in my signature.

Flash this after a backup. Didn't need to worry about wiping. Just move or delete dialer.apk after you boot with the new dialer.

This really went from being the most convenient zip of Google Dialer IMHO (works better than the PA one for me) to being a work of art as well. I wish more people would theme 4.4.2 GAPPs for KitKat and make them work with as many ROMs as possible. I've noticed (at least a few weeks ago) that the only thing still in pure white is the settings screen. Is that a limitation you haven't been able to theme properly, or is it something still to theme? That and these dialer themes are 100% perfect if that's fixed. I know proprietary is a royal pain to work with, but still I'm curious. You've done some good work. I wish Google knew how to theme so well! Especially since a lot of themed apps or themes have given me crashes, but this one works perfectly.
    I just uploaded the Google Dialer - this time themed dark to compliment my KitKat themes on the market.

Tested and works with CM11 on Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. Also works with ART.

DOWNLOAD for Android 4.4.2

Screens:

ini1.png
    peyi.png

jz0f.png
    q94q.png

+100000

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Okay for those of you who are not able to get the new dialer working.

1)Manually copy all three files(6 if you're using the odexed version) from the zip to the appropriate folders in your /system partition.
    2)Set proper permissions for each file
    3)DO NOT delete Dialer.apk. Reboot your phone. If you get FCs reboot again. This time there should no FCs
    4)Delete Dialer.apk from your phone and reboot.

Everything should be working normally! :)
    I'm getting really confused. As, I am new to this flashing stuff (rom's kernel's). I'm on catcalysm with franco r32 and some Xposed modules. I have no idea what odex or deodex is.

Can you guide me through it? can you guide me what packages should I choose?.

The system apps that come with stock ROM are odexed which actually give better performance, while custom roms are deodexed. .

This still doesn't help me. I have the PA gaps which is very much same as stock apps. So which one should I flash? Odex or de odexed.?

Are you on a custom ROM? You say you are. So, there's your answer. ;)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone