[MOD] Drivelink (Mirrorlink) Full Mirroring

Search This thread

walkeryan

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2007
Salem
j0ep0 and I are currently working to get the mirroring that we were promised working with Drivelink and the Galaxy S III. Currently we have mirroring working successfully but there are a few bugs with the Drivelink app getting wiped and restarted. Here is a list of everything so far:

Full Mirroring without the drive link app resurfacing - Working (random restarts due to memory cleanup in android)
Work with Any Launcher - Currently Nova and Apex work
Reassigning the Home button -
Bypassing the two warning Messages -
Compatibility with Non-touchwiz Roms-
Compatibility with Other Devices -
Dim or turn off Phone screen when mirroring-
Automatically go into launcher (minimizing drivelink) -

Currently the setup we have is working for the following devices:
GSM Galaxy S III
CDMA Galaxy S III (No Data)

If it is working on your device please post, or PM me with the Following:
Carrier
Phone Model
Any Bugs
Rom/Kernel (If custom)

Installation Instructions:
Code:
Non-root:
Go into Settings and Enable "Install from Unknown sources"
Install the APK and run it.
Plug into your head unit and pray.
This method has worked for some (including myself) and not for others.
It will give you the standard Drivelink app and 
no custom code by us, you need root for that.

Rooted users:
Download the TMServer zip to your Phone
Reboot into recovery and install (Like a ROM)
No need to wipe anything, you're just replacing 
a system APK which is why you need root.
Install the Drivelink APK after enabling Unknown sources.
Run the Drivelink app and plug your phone into the head unit,
After accepting prompts you should see the drive link app.

There are several ways to get to your stock home screen but the easiest for me is to hold your home button down the bring up task manager, Click on another open app, when it opens hit the home button and viola, you're at your home screen. We are trying to find a way to bypass this but drivelink puts the phone into car mode and that disables the home button. Car mode is required to get the audio to route correctly to the head unit.

Here are the Links:
TM Server- Must be flashed in a custom recovery:
TMServer

Drivelink- Remove all versions, allow unknown sources and install this apk:
DriveLink

Both j0ep0 and myself have full time jobs and families so we are working very hard to get this working on our own time. So please be patient. We will get this working fully!

Nice description write up by Olywa123, Thanks

What is it
Drivelink is Samsung's application used to facilitate ‘Mirrorlink’ connectivity with supported car headunits. Currently their are several aftermarket car stereos by Sony, Alpine, and JVC that support this technology. The majority of users here have the Sony XAV-601BT headunit but it is believed the protocol for connection is the same for each. This standard is known as Mirrorlink (formerly Terminal Mode) and uses the VNC RFB3.8 protocol allowing for two-way communication between the smartphone and headunit over a usb connection for both display duplication and key-inputs and uses Bluetooth A2DP for Audio.

Videos
The following videos best provide a summary of this technology
Mirrorlink Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNpK...eature=related
Example of MirrorLink on XAV-601BT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsT1l8bLOfU (shows Nokia and Samsung phone support)
Example of Drivelink App: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHVmogapY9U

Why The Drive Link App needs Modification
Although Samsung have released the Drivelink application, this is not only very limited but also compatible only with the Galaxy SIII currently. It provides a ‘dashboard’ interface allowing for the use of only stock Music, Phone and Navigation (limited to Google maps) functionality. You cannot get back to your phones home screen or run any other apps while Drivelink is running/mirrored on the headunit and killing Drivelink kills the interface meaning the stereo no longer sees and mirrors the phones display. This appears to be a restriction coded into the Drivelink software as the video above shows that the Nokia interface allows for full phone control in addition to just the Nokia released Mirrorlink app on Symbian (Car Mode).

Last edited:

cell128

Oct 4, 2008
Lomita,CA
I haven't been following my other thread lately but you mention here you have CDMA version working without data. I'm in verizon gs3. How do I get this baby running even without data? I tried flashing that tmservice.zip abiut a week ago with no luck. Is this one a revised version ? I will try again anyways thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

what is this actually

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Something like this. Except the goal here is to have full mirroring of the launcher and everything that's on the phone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHVmogapY9U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

mrjoshzombie

Jul 2, 2010
Verizon galaxy SIII with CM10 nightlies, and this is my result.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351049853794.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351049853794.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 10,943

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
Question... do you have to flash tmserver if you are using a rooted touchwiz rom?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

cnewman402

Jan 3, 2010
So can I use Sony XAV601BT with a Verizon running CM10 nightly on 4.1.2

prerunnerseth

Dec 1, 2010
3 weeks or so and I should have my Verizon Note 2 and will be back in this for some testing. assuming it doesnt just work right off.

chinlin0924

Feb 14, 2009
it works! thanks!
but if I run Temple Run game, the USB link will fail.
I guess the memory killer may kill the tm server that cause USB link fail.

BTW,
I remember the USB link requires the CDC/NCM support in kernel or the mirrorlink cannot be activated, correct?

cell128

Oct 4, 2008
Lomita,CA
it works! thanks!
but if I run Temple Run game, the USB link will fail.
I guess the memory killer may kill the tm server that cause USB link fail.

BTW,
I remember the USB link requires the CDC/NCM support in kernel or the mirrorlink cannot be activated, correct?

What phone, carrier, rom are you using?

mrjoshzombie

Jul 2, 2010
Eureka!

Installed the DriveLink APK from the first post.

Carrier: Verizon
Phone Model: Samsung Galaxy SIII SCH-I535
Any Bugs: None that I could tell. I only played with it lightly for 15 minutes
Rom/Kernel: JellyWiz Stock [VZW LEAK] http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1853337

Results:
DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

Screenshot_2012-11-01-19-23-40.png

So what does the leaked VZW have that CM10 doesn't? Because I can't stand TouchWiz anymore after months with CM10.

j0ep0

Jul 12, 2010
Utrecht
Eureka!

So what does the leaked VZW have that CM10 doesn't? Because I can't stand TouchWiz anymore after months with CM10.

Nice to see that my mod is working for you :)

You're answering your own question, VZW is Samung based and has the Touchwiz framework. You can always switch launcher to Trebuchet or Nova to get a less "Touchwiz" sensation.

prerunnerseth

Dec 1, 2010
Eureka!

Installed the DriveLink APK from the first post.

Carrier: Verizon
Phone Model: Samsung Galaxy SIII SCH-I535
Any Bugs: None that I could tell. I only played with it lightly for 15 minutes
Rom/Kernel: JellyWiz Stock [VZW LEAK] http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1853337

Results:
DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

Screenshot_2012-11-01-19-23-40.png

Strange... there must be something with that rom. I could never get my VZ S3 to work, but i never tried a jellybean rom.

shirazdindar

May 27, 2008
read the sony thread. seems the device authentication is by key. i'm assuming the mysterious device identifier component is in that key. but i'm also assuming that the key code is closed on both the client and server. but just wondering if you've looked at that yet, j0e0p? if i recall you don't even have the deck?

j0ep0

Jul 12, 2010
Utrecht
read the sony thread. seems the device authentication is by key. i'm assuming the mysterious device identifier component is in that key. but i'm also assuming that the key code is closed on both the client and server. but just wondering if you've looked at that yet, j0e0p? if i recall you don't even have the deck?

To do a little braindump, I've checked in /system/security/security/cacerts but can't find much differences between the several ROMs. In the code of the Drive Link app there are some checks in build.prop to identify the device but if that's really restricted the app shouldn't work on the Verizon as that device id isn't in the code. Finally I've found some references to the bootloader/kernel. That might be the cause.

I don't have the deck, the keying part isn't published in the source code from Sony and mirrorlink doesn't seem to be working on the latest XXDLJ4 (rooted) for i9300 which I'm running as my daily driver. Maybe someone could confirm that?

djwilliams100

May 17, 2010
Portsmouth
To do a little braindump, I've checked in /system/security/security/cacerts but can't find much differences between the several ROMs. In the code of the Drive Link app there are some checks in build.prop to identify the device but if that's really restricted the app shouldn't work on the Verizon as that device id isn't in the code. Finally I've found some references to the bootloader/kernel. That might be the cause.

I don't have the deck, the keying part isn't published in the source code from Sony and mirrorlink doesn't seem to be working on the latest XXDLJ4 (rooted) for i9300 which I'm running as my daily driver. Maybe someone could confirm that?

I'm on xxdlj4 rooted as well and my works and connects perfectly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: j0ep0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    j0ep0 and I are currently working to get the mirroring that we were promised working with Drivelink and the Galaxy S III. Currently we have mirroring working successfully but there are a few bugs with the Drivelink app getting wiped and restarted. Here is a list of everything so far:

Full Mirroring without the drive link app resurfacing - Working (random restarts due to memory cleanup in android)
    Work with Any Launcher - Currently Nova and Apex work
    Reassigning the Home button -
    Bypassing the two warning Messages -
    Compatibility with Non-touchwiz Roms-
    Compatibility with Other Devices -
    Dim or turn off Phone screen when mirroring-
    Automatically go into launcher (minimizing drivelink) -

Currently the setup we have is working for the following devices:
    GSM Galaxy S III
    CDMA Galaxy S III (No Data)

If it is working on your device please post, or PM me with the Following:
    Carrier
    Phone Model
    Any Bugs
    Rom/Kernel (If custom)

Installation Instructions:
    Code:
    Non-root:
    Go into Settings and Enable "Install from Unknown sources"
    Install the APK and run it.
    Plug into your head unit and pray.
    This method has worked for some (including myself) and not for others.
    It will give you the standard Drivelink app and 
    no custom code by us, you need root for that.

Rooted users:
    Download the TMServer zip to your Phone
    Reboot into recovery and install (Like a ROM)
    No need to wipe anything, you're just replacing 
    a system APK which is why you need root.
    Install the Drivelink APK after enabling Unknown sources.
    Run the Drivelink app and plug your phone into the head unit,
    After accepting prompts you should see the drive link app.

There are several ways to get to your stock home screen but the easiest for me is to hold your home button down the bring up task manager, Click on another open app, when it opens hit the home button and viola, you're at your home screen. We are trying to find a way to bypass this but drivelink puts the phone into car mode and that disables the home button. Car mode is required to get the audio to route correctly to the head unit.

Here are the Links:
    TM Server- Must be flashed in a custom recovery:
    TMServer

Drivelink- Remove all versions, allow unknown sources and install this apk:
    DriveLink

Both j0ep0 and myself have full time jobs and families so we are working very hard to get this working on our own time. So please be patient. We will get this working fully!

Nice description write up by Olywa123, Thanks

What is it
    Drivelink is Samsung's application used to facilitate ‘Mirrorlink’ connectivity with supported car headunits. Currently their are several aftermarket car stereos by Sony, Alpine, and JVC that support this technology. The majority of users here have the Sony XAV-601BT headunit but it is believed the protocol for connection is the same for each. This standard is known as Mirrorlink (formerly Terminal Mode) and uses the VNC RFB3.8 protocol allowing for two-way communication between the smartphone and headunit over a usb connection for both display duplication and key-inputs and uses Bluetooth A2DP for Audio.

Videos
    The following videos best provide a summary of this technology
    Mirrorlink Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNpK...eature=related
    Example of MirrorLink on XAV-601BT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsT1l8bLOfU (shows Nokia and Samsung phone support)
    Example of Drivelink App: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHVmogapY9U

Why The Drive Link App needs Modification
    Although Samsung have released the Drivelink application, this is not only very limited but also compatible only with the Galaxy SIII currently. It provides a ‘dashboard’ interface allowing for the use of only stock Music, Phone and Navigation (limited to Google maps) functionality. You cannot get back to your phones home screen or run any other apps while Drivelink is running/mirrored on the headunit and killing Drivelink kills the interface meaning the stereo no longer sees and mirrors the phones display. This appears to be a restriction coded into the Drivelink software as the video above shows that the Nokia interface allows for full phone control in addition to just the Nokia released Mirrorlink app on Symbian (Car Mode).
    Full Mirroring is ready and fully functional.
    APK will be available soon
    mirror link update

Look I found on Sony website.
    Hi All,

After a long battle I managed to get a reply from the Samsung Drive Link development team on some questions I had regarding the issues with this app. Thought I would post here so that everyone can see the responses so far. I have since replied back to this for further clarification on some of the answers.

1. The Drive Link application has a background task which prevents the phone from switching off the screen EVEN when *NOT* using or running Drive Link on the phone. i.e. everyday use of the phone the screen fails to turn off the screen after the pre-set time limit. Killing the Drive Link background task temporarily or uninstalling the app is the only way to fix this. Not good!

[Drive Link team] This issue is already fixed. Would you check version 1.1.026 from samsung app store?
    - CONFIRMED THIS IS FIXED IN LATEST APP.

2. When running Drive Link hooked up to a MirrorLink compatible head unit the application keeps the screen on the phone. If you are using MirrorLink to display the phone on the car dashboard headunit screen you do NOT want the phone screen to be on for a number of critical reasons. The first being that the phone screen can be easily touched by accident when it is stowed in my arm rest for example. The second is that with the screen on constantly the power consumption and heat generated by the phone is very high! In some cases my phone has locked up and overheated forcing me to hard reset the phone during navigation.

[Drive Link team] In Jelly Bean, screen update is not supported when screen is turned off, so we determined not to turn off screen. It is temporary solution. To solve this issue, we need change of android platform. Unfortunately, current android platform can't support it.

3. The volume setting within the Drive Link application is forgotten about when you next start the application. The default volume (half) is far too low for my car speakers and I have to go through all the menus each time I use drive link to increase the volume. It should remember what volume level you left it on the previous time it was used, not reset it back to the default of half.

[Drive Link team] In mirrorlink mode(this means that smart phone is connected to head unit), whenever smart phone is connected to head unit, volume is setted as 50%. We will change volume policy. First time volume is setted as 50%, from next time volume is setted as previous value. This change will be included in next binary release.
    - THIS NOW APPEARS TO BE FIXED IN LATEST APP.

4. Functionality needs to be added to allow music to be played from the MAIN headunit whilst MirrorLink is running. It does not make sense to only be able to play music from your phone. I have all my music on a very large USB key permanently attached to my Alpine ICS-X8 head unit, I do not want to have to keep a second copy of all that music on my phone too! The Nokia Drive application allows this for Nokia phones via an API I am told by Alpine support. This allows you to control and play music from the main head unit
    which is better than playing it from the phone.

[Drive Link team] As I know, implementing this concept needs long time. We need more time.

5. Functionality needs to be added for a full application "Mirror Mode" like on Nokia Drive. This lets you mirror the entire phone or ANY application on the car headunit screen. This way it doesn't limit you to specific applications.

[Drive Link team] This is concept that is requested by head unit company.

6. Need application support for Sat Nav software such as TomTom, CoPilot or Sygic, iGo, etc. Not just the standard Google Navigator which is very limited.

[Drive Link team] You're right. But we don't know package name of all navigation application. If you let me know package name of navigation application, I can permit to use navigation application you recommended.

- ANYONE KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN BY PACKAGE NAME EXACTLY?

Should you require any further information don’t hesitate to contact us further regarding this.

You can also contact the drivelink team directly regarding this via; using the “Email seller” function that exists at the application details page on Samsung Apps.

Hope this is useful. I will post further responses once I receive them if people are interested.
    Drive Link works on CM10, but the screen mirroring app doesn't.