[MOD] Enable Camera Shutter Sound Menu

Search This thread

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
Since the Note 3 is new, and so far, there is only one custom Rom, I've seen the "how do I disable camera sounds" question asked a few times.
I'm sure your favorite developer will incorporate this feature, into future Roms, like they have in the past, for previous devices. This is mainly for us impatient noobs. :D

You must be rooted. Using a root explorer, navigate to /system/csc. Backup your feature.xml. Navigate to /system/csc/SPR/system/csc. Copy feature.xml. Navigate back to /system/csc. Paste the new file, over writing the old one. Open the new feature.xml, scroll to the camera section, and change:

<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>false</
CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>

to:

<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>true</

Save, exit,
Set permissions to rw-r--r--
Reboot

Note: I used 'Root Explorer'. ES File Explorer may also work.

Here is a list of potential csc parameters, gathered from other phones. I didn't create this list. I found it about a year ago, and thought it might be interesting, to play around with.

Edit: the text file came from @kkoolpatz
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033894

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-18-21-18-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-18-21-18-10.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 3,730
  • unconfirmed_CscFeatures.txt
    63.6 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I followed this exactly I'm still not getting that option to silence the shutter. Is there a detail you left out or am I just missing something? I tried twice

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
I followed this exactly I'm still not getting that option to silence the shutter. Is there a detail you left out or am I just missing something? I tried twice

I edited the OP, to make it clearer, and modified the method, slightly.

One other possibility. Backup your feature.xml. Navigate to /system/csc/SPR/system/csc. Copy feature.xml. Navigate back to /system/csc. Paste the new file, over writing the old one. Open the new feature.xml, and change:

to:

(You're changing 'false' to 'true,)

Save, exit,
Reboot

Last edited:

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Thanks for the clarification in the OP. I now got it to work. Problem I had before was that I did not realize that I was simply changing false to true. Super simple.

Reactions: LMMT

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
Very useful. Thank you. :D

I'm glad it worked for you. Thanks for the feedback. :cool:

Thanks for the clarification in the OP. I now got it to work. Problem I had before was that I did not realize that I was simply changing false to true. Super simple.

Great! It's good to hear that the instructions where clear enough to be followed. There's a lot more that can be enabled, such as using the camera during calls. It's the same principle, just a matter of searching through the feature.xml, and flipping or changing the variables.

Must have missed it. I was going to post the same thing since that was one of the first things I did when rooted but never got around to it. Glad someone posted it for others. Always good to share info. However you should have done it in the DEV section with a [MOD] Tag. Post some of the other tweaks too. It'll disappear here in General. :(

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
Must have missed it. I was going to post the same thing since that was one of the first things I did when rooted but never got around to it. Glad someone posted it for others. Always good to share info. However you should have done it in the DEV section with a [MOD] Tag. Post some of the other tweaks too. It'll disappear here in General. :(

Yeah, maybe so. I went back and forth in my mind, and decided that this really isn't development, so here we are in 'General'.

I had a bunch of these edits, when I had my Note 2. I'll have to dig through, and see what additional features we can enable on the Note 3. Any help is definitely appreciated.

Tavo_7

Oct 7, 2013
I'm on stock rooted and es explorer gives me a permission denied error when I try to overwrite features.xml from the SPR folder to system/csc, also unable to rename or edit directly from system/csc but I can copy and paste elsewhere to back up.

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
I'm on stock rooted and es explorer gives me a permission denied error when I try to overwrite features.xml from the SPR folder to system/csc, also unable to rename or edit directly from system/csc but I can copy and paste elsewhere to back up.

Open ES File Explorer and tap the phone menu button. A pane should open on the left side of the screen. Scroll to the bottom, and turn "Root Explorer" on. When the Super User prompt pops up, be sure to allow it.

Tavo_7

Oct 7, 2013
Root explorer was already on, but I toogled on off just in case and it still fails. See screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-20-15-47-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-20-15-47-16.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Screenshot_2013-10-20-15-41-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-20-15-41-54.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_2013-10-20-15-43-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-20-15-43-22.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot_2013-10-20-15-44-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-20-15-44-19.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 153

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
Root explorer was already on, but I toogled on off just in case and it still fails. See screenshots

I'm not sure what the problem is. ES File had some problems with root, about a year ago, but I thought they got that fixed. I use it everyday, but not the root functions. Maybe you can try going into SuperSU, selecting ES File, and tapping "forget", then go back into ES, and accept the SU prompt.

Tavo_7

Oct 7, 2013
I'm not sure what the problem is. ES File had some problems with root, about a year ago, but I thought they got that fixed. I use it everyday, but not the root functions. Maybe you can try going into SuperSU, selecting ES File, and tapping "forget", then go back into ES, and accept the SU prompt.

Still failing after forgetting, I also reinstalled both ES and SU and no good. Any other free root explorers I can test? Or can anyone else using es verify if it's working for them?

Tavo_7

Oct 7, 2013
There are several free in the Play Store. Maybe try a few?

I downloaded 'Root Browser' from the play store and this did the trick, ES Explorer is having root issues with the Note 3, well at least on my phone since no one else confirmed. I added the shutter menu (working) , enabled camera during calls (working), and tried to add a call button from the logs list but this didn't appear to work.

Thanks again!

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
I downloaded 'Root Browser' from the play store and this did the trick, ES Explorer is having root issues with the Note 3, well at least on my phone since no one else confirmed. I added the shutter menu (working) , enabled camera during calls (working), and tried to add a call button from the logs list but this didn't appear to work.

Thanks again!

Good. I'm glad you got it working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since the Note 3 is new, and so far, there is only one custom Rom, I've seen the "how do I disable camera sounds" question asked a few times.
    I'm sure your favorite developer will incorporate this feature, into future Roms, like they have in the past, for previous devices. This is mainly for us impatient noobs. :D

You must be rooted. Using a root explorer, navigate to /system/csc. Backup your feature.xml. Navigate to /system/csc/SPR/system/csc. Copy feature.xml. Navigate back to /system/csc. Paste the new file, over writing the old one. Open the new feature.xml, scroll to the camera section, and change:

to:

Save, exit,
    Reboot

Note: I used 'Root Explorer'. ES File Explorer may also work.

Here is a list of potential csc parameters, gathered from other phones. I didn't create this list. I found it about a year ago, and thought it might be interesting, to play around with.

Edit: the text file came from @kkoolpatz
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033894

I edited the OP, to make it clearer, and modified the method, slightly.

One other possibility. Backup your feature.xml. Navigate to /system/csc/SPR/system/csc. Copy feature.xml. Navigate back to /system/csc. Paste the new file, over writing the old one. Open the new feature.xml, and change:

to:

(You're changing 'false' to 'true,)

Save, exit,
    Reboot
    That maybe my problem, what two locations? I'm editing in system/scs/spr/system/scs. What's the other location I have to make edits in?

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

yep there's 2 files see my thread here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2504369
    Something to add to the first post. Make a backup of the original in case you ever screw up. ;)

Always good advice, but it's already there. Unless you're talking about a nandroid...
    Very useful. Thank you. :D