[MOD] Enable CRT Animation in Gingerbread

Search This thread

kennethpenn

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
This simple guide will show you how to enable the CRT animation on any Gingerbread build. It's a fairly easy process, but it does require one developer tool: apktool. You can download it below.

1. Download APKTOOL
    • On Windows, download apktool-windows and apktool.jar
    • Extract the file contents in each archive into your Windows folder:
      C:\Windows
  2. Save your framework-res.apk file to a place that you know
    I saved mine to: C:\hktw\framework-res.apk
  3. Open the[FONT=inherit !important] command prompt[/FONT]
    • On Windows, press the Start button, type: cmd, press the Enter button
  4. You’ll need to change the directory of your commands to the one where you saved your .apk file
  5. Type the “cd” command and then the directory where you saved your file.
    • cd C:\hktw
  6. Now you need to tell apktool to decompile the framework…
    • apktool d -f framework-res.apk
  7. You should see in your .apk folder a new folder has been created: “framework-res”
  8. Inside of that folder you can now see all of the decompiled parts of your .apk
  9. Edit res/values/bools.xml
  10. Change "<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">true</bool>" to "<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">false</bool>"
  11. When you’re done editing, you’ll need to recompile the .apk
    • apktool b -f framework-res
  12. Note the inclusion of the “.apk” during decompilation, and the exclusion of the “.apk” during recompilation
  13. After you’ve sent the recompile command, apktool will work and eventually create two new folders called “dist” and “build”
  14. Inside of the “build” folder will be the recompiled parts of your .apk
  15. Open the original .apk file using WinRAR of 7zip
  16. Drag and drop the “resources.arsc” file inside of “build/apk” to the root of your original .apk
Now place that modified framework-res.apk in your /system/framework. You're done!
Alternatively, you can use my CWM installable package attached below on HKTW 2.3.4.

Attachments

• crt.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,051
Last edited:

JdeFalconr

Nov 27, 2007
This won't work on our Atrix's yet, though, correct? As I recall we're still on Froyo. Sorry, I'm just a bit confused as this was posted in the Atrix forums. I assume we have to wait for the upcoming 2.3.x update for this to work?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This simple guide will show you how to enable the CRT animation on any Gingerbread build. It's a fairly easy process, but it does require one developer tool: apktool. You can download it below.

1. Download APKTOOL
      • On Windows, download apktool-windows and apktool.jar
      • Extract the file contents in each archive into your Windows folder:
        C:\Windows
    2. Save your framework-res.apk file to a place that you know
      I saved mine to: C:\hktw\framework-res.apk
    3. Open the[FONT=inherit !important] command prompt[/FONT]
      • On Windows, press the Start button, type: cmd, press the Enter button
    4. You’ll need to change the directory of your commands to the one where you saved your .apk file
    5. Type the “cd” command and then the directory where you saved your file.
    6. Now you need to tell apktool to decompile the framework…
      • apktool d -f framework-res.apk
    7. You should see in your .apk folder a new folder has been created: “framework-res”
    8. Inside of that folder you can now see all of the decompiled parts of your .apk
    9. Edit res/values/bools.xml
    10. Change "<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">true</bool>" to "<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">false</bool>"
    11. When you’re done editing, you’ll need to recompile the .apk
      • apktool b -f framework-res
    12. Note the inclusion of the “.apk” during decompilation, and the exclusion of the “.apk” during recompilation
    13. After you’ve sent the recompile command, apktool will work and eventually create two new folders called “dist” and “build”
    14. Inside of the “build” folder will be the recompiled parts of your .apk
    15. Open the original .apk file using WinRAR of 7zip
    16. Drag and drop the “resources.arsc” file inside of “build/apk” to the root of your original .apk
    Now place that modified framework-res.apk in your /system/framework. You're done!
    Alternatively, you can use my CWM installable package attached below on HKTW 2.3.4.
    You make it so complicated, then so easy!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
    I've been so busy. I'm going to try my best as soon as we get the OTA build for AT&T. :cool:
    I installed the hktw build and then enabled Animations and I get the CRT animation....was I not supposed to?
    Does the sytem have to be deodexed for this to work? Will this work if I do "adb pull" and extract the framework-res.apk with official OTA GB, decompile, mod the xml, recompile, "adb push" and reboot?