[MOD] Enable NFC on your device!

Search This thread

phishfi

Jul 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Both models have the SAME amount of PINS.
They are virtually INDISTINGUISHABLE.

Only way to know is to have the ORIGINAL BATTERY with the NFC ANTENNA
(or the splash screen that says "GT-I9100P")

NFC-Patch for ICS :
Problem is, Samsung said that i9100P Rom would be for july 2012....
I believe previous patch was made comparing two roms, one with NFC and one without, and changing things.
Since ICS never saw NFC (Samsung-wise), i bet we can wait a bit...
Shame :-(

Note to any developer going here
NFC is KERNEL INDEPENDENT
I tested previous patch with various kernels, and it always worked.
Is it possible to extract NFC "framework" from Xperia S, or things like that?
PLEASE?

TYVM

i would ask that we compare the nexus s or the galaxy nexus, since they are both Samsung devices with nfc. Especially if we can get this to work with google wallet as well.

I just checked my original 1650mAh and 2000mAh (with "NFC") all with 4 pins, so does my phone.

I'm using GT-I9100 model.

My mistake, I have never seen the insides of the basic s2's. Mine isn't the i9100p either, it's the Korean variant, but so far I haven't had any issues running i9100/9100p roms on this version.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

RedWave31

May 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hi everybody, great news!

It seems someone has already made what I was asking here for...ages! :mad:

All credit goes to "GAT" for this work.
This post is just a simple translation of his post, i'm not affiliated to him in any way, nor will answer to silly questions (how to flash, etc)

French Forum, NFC for ICS Patch

There are links there to mirrors, choose the most suitable for you.
You just have to flash it in CWM, and reboot the phone TWICE.
A new parameter should appear in "Plus" amongst Radios (Wifi, Bluetooth).
Apparently, Android Beam seems to function as well.

It has been reported working with:

- LPH
- LP7
- CM9
- AndyX 7.1
- MIUI ICS (unknown version)
- Westcrip 1.1 to 1.8.1 and AOKP versions

Install instructions (advanced)
Note : These install instructions shouldn't be needed on latest Westcrip's roms above 1.4 (AOKP)
- Go into recovery
- Wipe EVERYTHING (but not your SDCARD of course)
- Flash ICS 1.1 (yeah, old version)
- Flash GAPPS + Fixer
- Wipe DATA+CACHE, reboot
- Configure Language and Account
- Reboot under recovery
- Flash NFCEnablerICS (whatever version)
- Reboot, and go check parameters, it should be activated, uncheck, it should stay greyed out
- Reboot again and test (there is no icon for NFC standby unlike in GB)
- Reboot under recovery, flash the SMSFIXER_and_dialerT9
- Reboot, you should be all set!

For those willing, you can also unrar your favorite rom, unrar and paste the patch files directly into your rom (overwrite files!), repack then flash.
Again, no how-to for that one, if you don't know how to unrar, just...don't even flash that ^^

Know problems :
- The "TAG" app is giving a FC on some phones.
- The "NFC" parameter doesn't even appear for some. Wiping DATA and CACHE (aka FULL RESET) seems to deal with the issue on some phones. Otherwise, try following my tutorial above, and transpose it to your rom. NO SUPPORT HERE!!!

Changelog :
21-03-2012
- Deletion of the com.android.nfc_extras.jar permission
- Rework of the install script

19-03-2012
First Release

Attachments

• NFCenablerICS_2012_03_21.zip
    1 MB · Views: 4,799
Last edited:

Blackwatch

Jul 20, 2011
Denby Dale
Ive got a UK I9100 and my battery has 4 pins so would that mean it is NFC ready?

I have 2 phones one running Omega ICS 5.1 and the other running Omega ICS v7

Last edited:

davidspwy

Nov 9, 2010

This post is just a simple translation of his post, i'm not affiliated to him in any way, nor will answer to silly questions (how to flash, etc)

- LPH
- LP7
- CM9
- AndyX 7.1

I tested it and it is working on Westcrip's 1.1 LPE
HOWEVER INSTALL IS Long and Painfull...
- Go into recovery
- Flash ICS 1.1
- Flash GAPPS
- Flash GAPPS FIXER
- Reboot under recovery
- Reboot, and go check parameters, it should be activated, uncheck, it should stay greyed out

Know problems :
- The "NFC" parameter doesn't even appear for some. Wiping DATA and CACHE (aka FULL RESET) seems to deal with the issue on some phones. Otherwise, try following my tutorial above, and transpose it to your rom. NO SUPPORT HERE!!!

Changelog :
21-03-2012

19-03-2012
First Release

where is the link? and it is for i9100p???

link here:
http://galaxys-team.fr/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21739&p=357497#p357497
let me try on my i9100(m250k),thanks

it worked on M250K after flashing CM9 with this addon,thanks.

Last edited:

RedWave31

May 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Ive got a UK I9100 and my battery has 4 pins so would that mean it is NFC ready?

URGH.

i9100 vs i9100P Identificiation
- THE ORIGINAL SHIPPED BATTERY is the ONLY WAY to know.
- To avoid high manufacturing costs, Samsung just removed the NFC Chip on original i9100, but let the same number of pins in all phones.
- THE ORIGINAL SHIPPED BATTERY is the ONLY WAY to know.

It HAS to have "Near Field Communication" written on it
batterie-officielle-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-i9100-avec-near-field-communication-nfc-eb-l102gbk-eb-f1a2gbucstd-.jpg

nfc_battery.jpg

Last edited:

chrisboyle

Jan 28, 2009
Oxford
chris.boyle.name
For those who are building from source, I've put a change on Gerrit to enable NFC in the same way as the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. It seems to work on my GT-I9100P (from Orange UK).

http://review.cyanogenmod.com/14571

Currently this will unconditionally add it to the build, but of course it will only work if you really have an NFC chip and appropriate battery, see earlier in this thread. So as I've said in Gerrit, it should really be conditional on the model somehow.

Thanks to Andrew Dodd for http://review.cyanogenmod.com/14470 which mine is based on.

phishfi

Jul 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
where is the link? and it is for i9100p???

link here:
http://galaxys-team.fr/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21739&p=357497#p357497
let me try on my i9100(m250k),thanks

it worked on M250K after flashing CM9 with this addon,thanks.
I have the m250k as well, but this did not work for me. At first I was on AOKP, but switched back to CM9 since this wasn't working for me on AOKP, but I still can't get this to work on CM9... This is my third rooted device, so I understand the instructions, but for some reason I can't find the NFC option under Settings > More... like the instructions are saying. Is there some trick to it?

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

For those who are building from source, I've put a change on Gerrit to enable NFC in the same way as the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. It seems to work on my GT-I9100P (from Orange UK).

http://review.cyanogenmod.com/14571

Currently this will unconditionally add it to the build, but of course it will only work if you really have an NFC chip and appropriate battery, see earlier in this thread. So as I've said in Gerrit, it should really be conditional on the model somehow.

Thanks to Andrew Dodd for http://review.cyanogenmod.com/14470 which mine is based on.
I would gladly do this, if I knew how. Can you explain a little further, or do you know of a link to some kind of walk-through?

Better yet, is there a way to turn this into a .zip installer for everyone?

davidspwy

Nov 9, 2010
I have the m250k as well, but this did not work for me. At first I was on AOKP, but switched back to CM9 since this wasn't working for me on AOKP, but I still can't get this to work on CM9... This is my third rooted device, so I understand the instructions, but for some reason I can't find the NFC option under Settings > More... like the instructions are saying. Is there some trick to it?

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

I would gladly do this, if I knew how. Can you explain a little further, or do you know of a link to some kind of walk-through?

Better yet, is there a way to turn this into a .zip installer for everyone?

Check the Know Problem Section:rolleyes:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24439878&postcount=102

shishir95

Feb 5, 2010
Chantilly
NFC & Beam work fine with the i777 using CM9!

Had to wipe a couple of times, but it showed up! Going to try and implement into a Samsung ROM this weekend

Reactions: projekt1

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
I have nfc working on my i777 with cm9 0413 nightly, I ended up flashing both the zip from the op and the zip red wave posted with the date in the filename. The one from the op caused force closing from the lock screen when used by itself, the dated zip didn't seem to do the trick enabling, but both together worked.

Also now that nfc is present my Bluetooth toggle in settings isn't visible. I can still turn it on and off with power control Widgets and stuff so Bluetooth works, but the Bluetooth menu is missing from settings.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

rohan999

Oct 30, 2011
Roorkee
I have the korean version on my sgs2 cuz on the battery it says "Made in Korea/Finished in China"......and HELL!, IT DOES NOT HAVE NFC!!!!!!!

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
I have the korean version on my sgs2 cuz on the battery it says "Made in Korea/Finished in China"......and HELL!, IT DOES NOT HAVE NFC!!!!!!!

That does NOT make it the "korean version". If your model is "GT-I9100", it is the European/International version, and will NOT have NFC. The "korean version" is a different model number entirely.

The only I9100 model that has NFC built in is GT-I9100P.

tltan86

Jun 30, 2011
Is it possible to purchase a Galaxy S2 NFC chip and solder onto Galaxy S2 International version?

Sent from my bot crawling all over the web

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
Is it possible to purchase a Galaxy S2 NFC chip and solder onto Galaxy S2 International version?

Sent from my bot crawling all over the web

Might be, but that would be a very tough undertaking. You'd need the schematics, the NFC chip, a battery with the NFC antenna, and the training and patience to do it.

Then again, maybe not... The mainboard of the i9100 (non P model) may not be fabbed to have a spot for the NFC chip to be soldered on.

But this is all just my own speculation. I'm guessing.

tltan86

Jun 30, 2011
Might be, but that would be a very tough undertaking. You'd need the schematics, the NFC chip, a battery with the NFC antenna, and the training and patience to do it.

Then again, maybe not... The mainboard of the i9100 (non P model) may not be fabbed to have a spot for the NFC chip to be soldered on.

But this is all just my own speculation. I'm guessing.

Thanks. But I will keep looking for solution, and post back if there's any.

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
Thanks. But I will keep looking for solution, and post back if there's any.

There are other solutions... There are NFC SD cards and SIM cards that are designed to put NFC on devices that don't have it. But they only work to varying degrees from what I hear. I don't know of specific ones off the top of my head. Google it.

tltan86

Jun 30, 2011
There are other solutions... There are NFC SD cards and SIM cards that are designed to put NFC on devices that don't have it. But they only work to varying degrees from what I hear. I don't know of specific ones off the top of my head. Google it.

Thanks. I do know about the NFC built in SD cards, but have limitations (I read on xda that only can be bought in bulks, not easily obtainable, lesser storage capacity or low card class, and its very expensive). SIM cards I'm not aware though, not sure if able to work compatibly with my local telco network... So excluding the SIM card option, its best to get NFC hardware and solder on method :D This way you still have an option to get better MicroSD card.

phishfi

Jul 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Thanks. I do know about the NFC built in SD cards, but have limitations (I read on xda that only can be bought in bulks, not easily obtainable, lesser storage capacity or low card class, and its very expensive). SIM cards I'm not aware though, not sure if able to work compatibly with my local telco network... So excluding the SIM card option, its best to get NFC hardware and solder on method :D This way you still have an option to get better MicroSD card.

Yea... good luck with that. I can guarantee you're chances are better if you get the nfc sim card or SD card, especially considering how much internal storage the thing has anyways. On another note, NFC doesn't matter much until we can get google wallet to work with our devices anyways.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

RedWave31

May 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a NFC enabler from fonzi09 that, well, enables NFC from your NFC-enabled Galaxy S2 (try saying that 5x quickly..). Note that YOUR GALAXY S2 NEEDS TO HAVE HARDWARE NFC SUPPORT, ergo: Your S2 must have a NFC chip inside, whether its a SIM mod, SD mod, or preinstalled. Almost all custom ROMs remove the perms and libs for NFC and this just puts them back where they belong. Capiche? Yea? Good.

All credits go to fonzi09 for this wonderful mod which I'm unfortunately not able to enjoy because I have a UK Orange Galaxy S2...

- LPH
    - LP7
    - CM9
    - AndyX 7.1
    - Westcrip 1.1 to 1.8.1 and AOKP versions

Install instructions (advanced)
    Note : These install instructions shouldn't be needed on latest Westcrip's roms above 1.4 (AOKP)
    - Go into recovery
    - Flash ICS 1.1 (yeah, old version)
    - Flash GAPPS + Fixer
    - Reboot under recovery

For those willing, you can also unrar your favorite rom, unrar and paste the patch files directly into your rom (overwrite files!), repack then flash.
    Again, no how-to for that one, if you don't know how to unrar, just...don't even flash that ^^

Know problems :

Changelog :
    21-03-2012

19-03-2012
    First Release
    For those who have a i9100 you don't have NFC chip inside. You need Orange France's i9100 or i9100p for this to work. For those who still don't understand, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA&hd=1
    I agree.

Another thing, keep enable NFC after a reboot. It auto-disable every time.

Taken on board, shouldn't be too difficult to implement! :)

Nathan
    After this mod z device test shows that nfc exist. But when in setting I try to enable nfc it just greyed out

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Which ROM are you using?

Nathan