[MOD] [Experimental] MultiROM v33 for Moto X Pure Edition/Style (clark)

Search This thread

Hashbang173

Inactive Recognized Developer / Inactive Recognize
May 6, 2012
Today's build of AICP has the kexec patch built in. I would try using that as primary and maybe try stock as a secondary to see if its my patched kernel that's the issue. I made the stock patched kernel boot.img from some XT1575 boot.img I found, might have been from an old stock M based ROM. So that would explain the issues.

Last edited:

pizzlewizzle

Jun 24, 2012
New Orleans
Okay so everything is working perfectly so far. Currently running TruPureX as my main ROM and AICP and Broken as my secondary ROMs. Question, this is my first time ever using MuliROM on any phone... is it possible to install ROMs to the external memory card(on this phone or phones in the past) and run them off that(not USB OTG). I tried flashing to the external card and it started to create the img files and then right before finishing it failed. Besides that this has been running flawless.

Hashbang173

May 6, 2012
Okay so everything is working perfectly so far. Currently running TruPureX as my main ROM and AICP and Broken as my secondary ROMs. Question, this is my first time ever using MuliROM on any phone... is it possible to install ROMs to the external memory card(on this phone or phones in the past) and run them off that(not USB OTG). I tried flashing to the external card and it started to create the img files and then right before finishing it failed. Besides that this has been running flawless.

I'll look into adding external storage support, I think it might be having trouble creating f2fs images

Hashbang173

May 6, 2012
I'm guessing I have to upgrade to twrp 3.0.0... Will apps from my primary rom carry over to the secondary rom?

You need to use MultiROM TWRP. The primary and secondary roms are independent from each other minus internal sdcard

pizzlewizzle

Jun 24, 2012
New Orleans
I'm guessing I have to upgrade to twrp 3.0.0... Will apps from my primary rom carry over to the secondary rom?

Your ROM with all your Apps will not be lost once you flash the 3 necessary files in TWRP...after that you can keep your primary ROM but also have additional ROMs that you can add. follow the steps in OP and watch this video if you'd like to see how it works(the video shows how to install using the manager that isn't compatable with our phone yet so follow OP on how to install) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fn0SCP_jN4

mike489

Jul 19, 2014
Sorry for asking such a dumb question before but what I meant to ask was if/when it is possible, would the external sd have to be formatted as portable storage in order to store roms on it or could i format it as internal storage?

fdc77

Apr 10, 2013
Siena
Hashbang173

There seems to be some kind of incompatibility with XT1572 euro single sim stock rom

when i flash your modded kernel wifi stop to work, never switch on, and at second boot also IR sensor stop to work.

i,m not sure but "IR" issue appeared after i have flash supersu, so it can be related to it.

if you need some log, just ask.

P.s
AICP like second rom work perfectly (apart from problems with BT :crying: )

Hashbang173

May 6, 2012
Hashbang173

There seems to be some kind of incompatibility with XT1572 euro single sim stock rom

when i flash your modded kernel wifi stop to work, never switch on, and at second boot also IR sensor stop to work.

i,m not sure but "IR" issue appeared after i have flash supersu, so it can be related to it.

P.s
Yeah, my patched kernel is based off of a XT1575 boot.img so that explains it. I would recommend running AICP in the primary as it supports all variant until I get around to making a zip to automatically patch the current boot.img.

Reactions: jason2678 and fdc77

Hashbang173

May 6, 2012
Hashbang173

P.s

Try flashing this zip on top of your stock kernel: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24421527759882058

fdc77

Apr 10, 2013
Siena
Hashbang173

P.s

Try flashing this zip on top of your stock kernel: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24421527759882058

I' have flashed your zip but Wi-Fi don't switch on while IR sensors are ok

I have flashed latest version on Frankenclark kernel witch include multirom kernel patch, without multirom it work properly,
but with multirom installed wifi work good but moto display don't work anymore, if we try to switch it off/on through moto apk,
we obtain a toast notification that says something like "AOD not supported".

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    na1VYMK.png
    Introduction

This is a port of Tassadar's MultiROM, a multi-boot mod for Moto X Pure/Style. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

This is still very experimental!

I've only tested this with stock M as the primary ROM and AICP M as the secondary ROM

Features:
    * Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
    * Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
    * Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

Warning!

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation
    The MultiROM Manager app does not currently support the Moto X Pure Edition

1. Via MultiROM Manager app
    This is the easiest way to install everything MultiROM needs. Install the app and select MultiROM and recovery on the Install/Update card. If the Status card says Kernel: doesn't have kexec-hardboot patch! in red letters, you have to install also patched kernel - either select one on the Install/Update card or get some 3rd-party kernel here on XDA. You are chosing kernel for your primary ROM, not any of your (future) secondary ROMs, so select the version accordingly.
    Press "Install" on the Install/Update card to start the installation.

2.Manual installation
    Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:
    • Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_clark_YYYYMMDD.img) - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot to flash it.
    • Patched kernel - You can use either one of the stock ones in second post or third-party kernels which include the patch, you can see list in the second post. Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery.
    • MultiROM (multirom-YYYYMMDD-vXX-clark.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.

Your current rom will not be erased by the installation.
    Download links are in the second post.

Adding ROMs
    1. Android
    Go to recovery, select MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.​

Using USB drive
    Untested on clark

During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
    If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
    If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
    Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
    Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
    • Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
    • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
    2. Secondary Android ROMs
    If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
    • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
    • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Note that swapping roms between internal and external is not supported (yet). Also, after flashing a factory image to the primary system and boot partition, make sure to immediately inject MultiROM before first boot, otherwise the secondary ROMs will be deleted.

Source code

Thanks

This port is based on the hard work of Tassadar, Geoff Levand, webgeek1234, Mike Kasick, 500 Internal Server Error, and many others. Thank you.

Issues

* Does not yet support encrypted devices
    * Please report

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiROM for Moto X Pure Edition/Style, ROM for the Moto X Style (Pure)

Contributors
    Hashbang173
    ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information

Created 2016-02-14
    Last Updated 2016-02-14
    I'll probably update the stock patched kernel for the February security patch as soon after the kernel source is released. Maybe I'll also look into the Moto Display bug as well as supporting encryption.
    List of ROMs/Kernels with kexec hardboot baked in

These ROMs/Kernels can be used as the primary ROM without any modifcation

• AICP (starting from 2/15/16 build)
    • Other CM based ROMs depending if they are upstream to the AICP kernel
    • Frankenclark in the next release?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone