• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD][FEB 01] MultiROM v30x

Search This thread

Garcia98

Mar 4, 2013
github.com
vh3puLb.png
Introduction

MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Xperia Z Ultra. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, once they are ported to that device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
* Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

You can also watch a video which shows it in action.

Warning!

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation
1. Via MultiROM Manager app
This is the easiest way to install everything MultiROM needs. Install the app and select MultiROM and recovery on the Install/Update card. If the Status card says Kernel: doesn't have kexec-hardboot patch! in red letters, you have to install also patched kernel - either select one on the Install/Update card or get some 3rd-party kernel here on XDA. You are chosing kernel for your primary ROM, not any of your (future) secondary ROMs, so select the version accordingly.
Press "Install" on the Install/Update card to start the installation.

2. Manual installation
Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those.

Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:
  • MultiROM (multirom-vXX-DDMMYY-togari.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
  • Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom-togari.img) - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot to flash it.
  • Patched kernel - You can use third-party kernels which include the patch, you can see list in the second post.
You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
Download links are in the second post.

Adding ROMs
1. Android
Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm. As for the space, clean installation of a ROM after first boot (with dalvik cache generated and connected to google account) takes more or less 700MB of space.​

Using USB drive
During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive (if USB drive partitions are not showed, disconnect USB drive and try again). You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC.

If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images.
Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
  • Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
  • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
2. Secondary Android ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
  • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
  • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Source code

XDA:DevDB Information
MultiROM for Xperia Z Ultra, Tool/Utility for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

Contributors
Garcia98

Version Information

Created 2015-01-18
Last Updated 2016-06-10

Attachments

• mrom0.png
    mrom0.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 5,923
  • mrom1.png
    mrom1.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 6,118
  • mrom2.png
    mrom2.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 5,992
  • mrom3.png
    mrom3.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 5,699
  • mrom4.png
    mrom4.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 5,417
  • mrom5.png
    mrom5.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 5,449
  • mrom6.png
    mrom6.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 5,407
  • mrom7.png
    mrom7.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 5,378
  • mrom8.png
    mrom8.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 5,339
  • mrom9.png
    mrom9.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 5,279
  • mrom10.png
    mrom10.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 5,123
  • mrom11.png
    mrom11.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 4,963
Last edited:

Garcia98

Mar 4, 2013
github.com
Downloads

1. Main downloads

MultiROM: MultiROM-v30x-180115-UNOFFICIAL-togari.zip
Modified recovery (based on TWRP): TWRP_multirom-togari_20150201-00.img
MultiROM Manager Android app: Google Play or link to APK

Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 4.4.4): stock-kexec-boot.img
Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (14.5.A.0.242): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=60316498&postcount=131
You need to have kernel with kexec-hardboot patch only in your primary ROM!

2. third-party kernels with kexec-hardboot patch
* Validus LP kernel
* Resurrection Remix LP kernel

Nicely ask your kernel developer to merge kexec-hardboot patch.​

3. Uninstaller

MultiROM uninstaller: MultiROM_uninstaller.zip
Flash this ZIP file to remove MultiROM from your device. It will erase all secondary ROMs. If you don't want MultiROM menus in recovery, re-flash clean TWRP, but it is not needed - those menus don't do anything if MultiROM is not installed.

Changelog
Code:
MultiROM v30x
=====================
* Initial release

Recoveries:
Code:
01/02/2015
==========
* Disabled screen timeout.
* Added filesystems tools.
* Latest TWRP updates and changes.

21/01/2015
==========
* Fixed the installation of block images OTAs through MultiROM.

18/01/2015
=====================
* Initial togari release

Last edited:

Garcia98

Mar 4, 2013
github.com
FAQ and other notes
About security
In order to make multi-booting possible, MultiROM has to sacrifice some security measures. Firstly, on secondary Android ROMs, /system is not mounted read-only. While there are other things preventing malicious software from messing with /system, this might potentialy make it easier for such software to attack that system.
Next, MultiROM doesn't work with /data encryption. Not many people who use custom ROMs also use encryption anyway, so that isn't much of a concern.​

What do the ROMs share?
All ROMs are separate, except /sdcard, which is shared between all Android ROMs.​

How many ROMs can I have?/Where are the ROMs stored?
You can have as many ROMs as you can fit in your /sdcard. All the ROMs are stored in /sdcard/multirom/roms or on an USB drive./external SD card. This folder is unaccessible in Android, to prevent mediascanner from scanning it. You can either in recovery, or obtain root and go to /data/media/0/multirom/roms.

Can I have different versions of Android working alongside
Yes.​

MultiROM recovery says it's 2.8.4. Why isn't it updated to 2.8.4.*highernumber*?
It is, it just shows wrong version.​

The menu with all the ROMs won't show up during boot, how to fix it?
Either re-flash the MultiROM zip or go to recovery, Advanced -> MultiROM -> Inject curr. boot sector.

The reason for this is that something rewrote your boot.img, which happens for example when you flash a kernel. MultiROM's boot menu is part of the boot image, so it has to be added into it again.

Last edited:

scoobydu

May 16, 2005
Absolutely fantastic Garcia98.

Very to happy to see support for the Z Ultra.

Edit: To be clear, it does support 4.4.4 stock sony, but only with a third party kernel with the Kexec-hardboot patch?

Don't suppose you have build the stock 4.4.4 kernel with the Kexec-hardboot patch applied? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Garcia98

Garcia98

Mar 4, 2013
github.com
Absolutely fantastic Garcia98.

Very to happy to see support for the Z Ultra.

Edit: To be clear, it does support 4.4.4 stock sony, but only with a third party kernel with the Kexec-hardboot patch?

Don't suppose you have build the stock 4.4.4 kernel with the Kexec-hardboot patch applied? :)

If there's a custom kernel for stock ROM link me to it and I'll patch it ;)

Garcia98

Mar 4, 2013
github.com
Wow. Awesome.
Mine say unsupported. I am using scrubber port 4.4.4 with this kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=56411399
Can you patch this one?

Sent from my C6806_GPe using XDA Premium HD app

Well, I need a source built custom kernel, not just one with ramdisk modifications.

To be honest I use the stock kernel and was hoping you would be able to patch that for the latest stock rom?

Cheers

If in a week there's no stock kernel patched I'll try to release one :)

DrGit

Jan 19, 2010
Z Ultra Google Play Edition?

@Garcia98, thanks for beating me to this! I started working on porting MultiROM to the Z Ultra GPE myself, and got as far as a kexec-hardboot-patched kernel that boots into the MultiROM menu with no touchscreen support and a non-booting TWRP recovery, likely because I used CM12 as my base instead of OmniROM. Instead of continuing to duplicate your efforts, I thought it might be simpler to ask if you would do a togari_gpe build for MultiROM/TWRP. It might be fairly easy to repack the recovery ramdisk into my CM12 boot.img myself and try to install them that way, but I'd like to see the GPE officially supported. My file hosting abilities are limited, otherwise I'd offer to do the build myself. That, and I don't have space for yet another Android build tree.

I'm going to attempt to submit a cleaned-up version of the kexec hardboot patch for every MSM8974 Xperia device I can (amami, honami, togari, togari_gpe, sirius, and possibly more) to Gerrit for inclusion in CyanogenMod. Whether said patch is ever merged is another story, but that could make things much easier for a lot of people.

Reactions: Triflot

Garcia98

Mar 4, 2013
github.com
@Garcia98, thanks for beating me to this! I started working on porting MultiROM to the Z Ultra GPE myself, and got as far as a kexec-hardboot-patched kernel that boots into the MultiROM menu with no touchscreen support and a non-booting TWRP recovery, likely because I used CM12 as my base instead of OmniROM. Instead of continuing to duplicate your efforts, I thought it might be simpler to ask if you would do a togari_gpe build for MultiROM/TWRP. It might be fairly easy to repack the recovery ramdisk into my CM12 boot.img myself and try to install them that way, but I'd like to see the GPE officially supported. My file hosting abilities are limited, otherwise I'd offer to do the build myself. That, and I don't have space for yet another Android build tree.

I'm going to attempt to submit a cleaned-up version of the kexec hardboot patch for every MSM8974 Xperia device I can (amami, honami, togari, togari_gpe, sirius, and possibly more) to Gerrit for inclusion in CyanogenMod. Whether said patch is ever merged is another story, but that could make things much easier for a lot of people.

Which are the differences between Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z Ultra GPE?

DrGit

Jan 19, 2010
Which are the differences between Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z Ultra GPE?

I don't remember where I heard this, but IIRC, the differences amount to little more than incompatible partitioning, so it may be possible to use your togari build with little more than a device check modification. EIther way, I don't think a new build using a togari_gpe Android device tree from, say, OmniROM 4.4, will be any more effort than selecting the appropriate lunch combination and waiting for it to compile. The kernel config is exactly the same on the GPE as it is on the Sony Z Ultra. I'll have to do some digging though - I set KEXEC_HB_PAGE_ADDR to 0x10000000, which is probably sub-optimal if not incorrect.

Garcia98

Mar 4, 2013
github.com
I don't remember where I heard this, but IIRC, the differences amount to little more than incompatible partitioning, so it may be possible to use your togari build with little more than a device check modification. EIther way, I don't think a new build using a togari_gpe Android device tree from, say, OmniROM 4.4, will be any more effort than selecting the appropriate lunch combination and waiting for it to compile. The kernel config is exactly the same on the GPE as it is on the Sony Z Ultra. I'll have to do some digging though - I set KEXEC_HB_PAGE_ADDR to 0x10000000, which is probably sub-optimal if not incorrect.

I think that if you could test if MultiROM works OK on togari GPE without any modification it would be superb as I don't find any big difference

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app

DrGit

Jan 19, 2010
I think that if you could test if MultiROM works OK on togari GPE without any modification it would be superb as I don't find any big difference

Neither the MultiROM zip or the TWRP image will work without modification, and it should be significantly easier to build from source since at least in CyanogenMod's togari_gpe device tree, most of the code actually lives in the togari device repository, and subsequently gets inherited from togari in the makefiles. Omni has a similar setup from what I could see on GitHub. In other words, code changes on your end should very minimal, if not nonexistent - you just won't know until the build starts. If you don't do it, no worries - I will, it'll just take longer since it seems like I'll have to checkout an entire new Android build tree.

Garcia98

Mar 4, 2013
github.com
Neither the MultiROM zip or the TWRP image will work without modification, and it should be significantly easier to build from source since at least in CyanogenMod's togari_gpe device tree, most of the code actually lives in the togari device repository, and subsequently gets inherited from togari in the makefiles. Omni has a similar setup from what I could see on GitHub. In other words, code changes on your end should very minimal, if not nonexistent - you just won't know until the build starts. If you don't do it, no worries - I will, it'll just take longer since it seems like I'll have to checkout an entire new Android build tree.

Togari GPE device tree differs in nothing but name with togari tree, in fact it includes everything from togari tree so I'm 100% sure that this would work in ZU GPE if works in ZU

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app

DrGit

Jan 19, 2010
Togari GPE device tree differs in nothing but name with togari tree, in fact it includes everything from togari tree so I'm 100% sure that this would work in ZU GPE if works in ZU

You're right about the device trees, and I don't see why it should require a rebuild, but repacking the recovery ramdisk from TWRP with a kernel from another boot image doesn't work, the red LED just blinks. The MultiROM zip might work with a device check modification, but I haven't checked, because TWRP is my priority.

halifage

Mar 16, 2013
Redmi 9C
battling to install on Validus rom

Hi,
I am trying to install this on my c6833 after doing a clean firmware flash and installing Validus Rom.
i followed the steps on OP (btw, flashing Multirom recovery file through Cyanogen recovery failed so I hotbooted Doomkernel to flash it with CWM and it worked)
however, when i fastboot flash the .img file, after that, the device doesn't boot. so i have to fastboot flash the Validus kernel again to get it to boot.
and after installing the app from playstore, a message in red says my device is not supported.
Any help would be deeply appreciated
thanks.

halifage

Mar 16, 2013
Redmi 9C
don't install the recovery img. just flash validus and then multirom zip, the custom recovery will already be there. that's how i did it.
Thanks mate :)
I am now on StoneUI-HD3 rom (4.4.4) with doomkernel, can i make a nandroid backup and then restore that backup as a secondary rom after flashing Validus?
Also, and lastly, can i just flash Validus from my recovery (after all the wipes of course) without flashing the rom's boot.img through flashtool ?
Thanks

Jan 14, 2015
Xiaomi Mi Note 10
you can flash validus from your current recovery no prob.
i don't know about restoring a nandroid in multirom. today is the first time i used it and i only instll cm12 nightly with it so far (which would not boot by the way).

Thanks mate :)
I am now on StoneUI-HD3 rom (4.4.4) with doomkernel, can i make a nandroid backup and then restore that backup as a secondary rom after flashing Validus?
Also, and lastly, can i just flash Validus from my recovery (after all the wipes of course) without flashing the rom's boot.img through flashtool ?
Thanks

Reactions: halifage

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vh3puLb.png
    Introduction

MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Xperia Z Ultra. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, once they are ported to that device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
    * Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
    * Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
    * Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

You can also watch a video which shows it in action.

Warning!

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation
    1. Via MultiROM Manager app
    This is the easiest way to install everything MultiROM needs. Install the app and select MultiROM and recovery on the Install/Update card. If the Status card says Kernel: doesn't have kexec-hardboot patch! in red letters, you have to install also patched kernel - either select one on the Install/Update card or get some 3rd-party kernel here on XDA. You are chosing kernel for your primary ROM, not any of your (future) secondary ROMs, so select the version accordingly.
    Press "Install" on the Install/Update card to start the installation.

2. Manual installation
    Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those.

Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:
    • MultiROM (multirom-vXX-DDMMYY-togari.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
    • Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom-togari.img) - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot to flash it.
    • Patched kernel - You can use third-party kernels which include the patch, you can see list in the second post.
    You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
    Download links are in the second post.

Adding ROMs
    1. Android
    Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm. As for the space, clean installation of a ROM after first boot (with dalvik cache generated and connected to google account) takes more or less 700MB of space.​

Using USB drive
    During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive (if USB drive partitions are not showed, disconnect USB drive and try again). You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
    If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC.

If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
    Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images.
    Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
    • Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
    • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
    2. Secondary Android ROMs
    If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
    • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
    • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Source code

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiROM for Xperia Z Ultra, Tool/Utility for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

Contributors
    Garcia98

Version Information

Created 2015-01-18
    Last Updated 2016-06-10
    Downloads

1. Main downloads

MultiROM: MultiROM-v30x-180115-UNOFFICIAL-togari.zip
    Modified recovery (based on TWRP): TWRP_multirom-togari_20150201-00.img
    MultiROM Manager Android app: Google Play or link to APK

Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 4.4.4): stock-kexec-boot.img
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (14.5.A.0.242): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=60316498&postcount=131
    You need to have kernel with kexec-hardboot patch only in your primary ROM!

2. third-party kernels with kexec-hardboot patch
    * Validus LP kernel
    * Resurrection Remix LP kernel

Nicely ask your kernel developer to merge kexec-hardboot patch.​

3. Uninstaller

MultiROM uninstaller: MultiROM_uninstaller.zip
    Flash this ZIP file to remove MultiROM from your device. It will erase all secondary ROMs. If you don't want MultiROM menus in recovery, re-flash clean TWRP, but it is not needed - those menus don't do anything if MultiROM is not installed.

Changelog
    Code:
    MultiROM v30x
    =====================
    * Initial release

Recoveries:
    Code:
    01/02/2015
    ==========
    * Disabled screen timeout.
    * Added filesystems tools.

21/01/2015
    ==========
    * Fixed the installation of block images OTAs through MultiROM.

18/01/2015
    =====================
    * Initial togari release
    FAQ and other notes
    About security
    In order to make multi-booting possible, MultiROM has to sacrifice some security measures. Firstly, on secondary Android ROMs, /system is not mounted read-only. While there are other things preventing malicious software from messing with /system, this might potentialy make it easier for such software to attack that system.
    Next, MultiROM doesn't work with /data encryption. Not many people who use custom ROMs also use encryption anyway, so that isn't much of a concern.​

What do the ROMs share?
    All ROMs are separate, except /sdcard, which is shared between all Android ROMs.​

How many ROMs can I have?/Where are the ROMs stored?
    You can have as many ROMs as you can fit in your /sdcard. All the ROMs are stored in /sdcard/multirom/roms or on an USB drive./external SD card. This folder is unaccessible in Android, to prevent mediascanner from scanning it. You can either in recovery, or obtain root and go to /data/media/0/multirom/roms.

Can I have different versions of Android working alongside
    Yes.​

MultiROM recovery says it's 2.8.4. Why isn't it updated to 2.8.4.*highernumber*?
    It is, it just shows wrong version.​

The menu with all the ROMs won't show up during boot, how to fix it?
    Either re-flash the MultiROM zip or go to recovery, Advanced -> MultiROM -> Inject curr. boot sector.

The reason for this is that something rewrote your boot.img, which happens for example when you flash a kernel. MultiROM's boot menu is part of the boot image, so it has to be added into it again.
    New recovery release is out!

Hi! I bring you good news, thanks to @Tasssadar finally we can install any Lollipop ROM as secondary ROM, even if it has a block image based OTA, so you'll be able to install official CyanogenMod 12 releases, etc.

Also the new update of the MultiROM Manager app includes full support for this device ;)

Download latest recovery: TWRP_multirom-togari_20150121-00.img
    New recovery release is out!

Hi guys!

A new recovery release is out, it has added the filesystem tools that were missing and it disables screen timeout ;)

Download latest recovery: TWRP_multirom-togari_20150201-00.img

Also if you have touch issues in MultiROM menu tell to your ROM or kernel developer to merge this patch that I have developed for fixing this issue: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/907103b43eed80bd2bef89beb957d4052311ae67 :)

The buffer size in all cm based roms is too small, TWRP doesn't load.
    I made a pull request to cm git, let's see how it goes.

You're right, but CyanogenMod uses Gerrit so no GitHub pull requests are accepted :p

Here is my link to stock kernel - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Byu6dt70FNVkU3I1Y0p4VHJkWjQ&usp=sharing
    It contains kexec'd boot.img based on stock.
    fastboot flash it!
    It also has modified ramdisk based on cm's ramdisk. Thanks to Garcia98 for support.:highfive:
    Thanks to Ressurection remix team from which I extracted the ramdisk.:good:

Thank you, link added to OP ;)

@Garcia98, have you figured out the touchscreen issues in the MultiROM menu? Applying the two patches for kexec hardboot and multitouch protocol B from the CM code review tracker doesn't make the menus work for me. Oddly, two-finger touches are recognized for highlighting items but I can't select anything.

Hmm, do you mean the patch I posted above? Are you sure it's not working? In honami and amami it works flawlessly :rolleyes: