[MOD] FIX CPU Throttling When Charging/Gaming (Increase Charging Speed Screen On)

Search This thread

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
Is there a final answer to using this on stock h91820g w root? This made PUBGM playable for me on 10p so I'm happy for now but I liked using Oreo when I had it for the rest of my phone use. Thanks!

I'm using it 20g presently, and yes it makes a difference. With the pure stock thermal conf file, running the CPU Throttling Test causes massive drops in performance and a lot of "red" meaning low CPU performance. With this modified thermal conf file (and I'm using stock thermal paste on my V20 presently, not some custom paste or whatever so I know it can be better) I'll get no less than about 10% throttling for 10+ minutes so it makes a rather huge difference for me.

Reactions: androiddiego

karkand

Jan 31, 2012
Jakarta
so, there is no proper way to make it work on OREO Stock rom?

update:

What permission did u give?

Cause I did r-w -r--r-- and it did nothing for me.

edit: just tried with 755 permission and it seems to be making a difference. Feels almost like how it was on charging while using on nougat.

it just working fine with 755 permission. thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: darkknight200

askermk2000

Jul 9, 2015
Moto G
LG G5
Hey

I'm wondering, how does this interact with my kernel modification (to increase throttling frequency from ~1Ghz to ~1.2Ghz) ?
At the time I didn't know it was still possible to modify the config file, it being encoded or whatever. Perhaps I should revert
that change since people can now themselves decide to deviate from stock behavior if they wish.

tech_infinity

Jun 16, 2014
aakashverma.com
LG V30
Hey

I'm wondering, how does this interact with my kernel modification (to increase throttling frequency from ~1Ghz to ~1.2Ghz) ?
At the time I didn't know it was still possible to modify the config file, it being encoded or whatever. Perhaps I should revert
that change since people can now themselves decide to deviate from stock behavior if they wish.

I actually use the Aroma thermal mod along with your kernel and set it to charge++ and cpu++ option. The general performance is pretty smooth with or without the thermal mod along with your kernel.
The main difference is in PUBG. I set the settings to high in PUBG and the device heats up a lot with the thermal mod which I don't mind as the game doesn't lag even on high settings.
But if you revert it, wouldn't it lag for people who don't want to use the thermal mod. In my opinion it's better to use up a bit more of battery if 1.2 Ghz is needed rather than have lag with 1Ghz and save some battery.

Last edited:

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
I actually use the Aroma thermal mod along with your kernel and set it to charge++ and cpu++ option. The general performance is pretty smooth with or without the thermal mod along with your kernel.
The main difference is in PUBG. I set the settings to high in PUBG and the device heats up a lot with the thermal mod which I don't mind as the game doesn't lag even on high settings.
But if you revert it, wouldn't it lag for people who don't want to use the thermal mod. In my opinion it's better to use up a bit more of battery if 1.2 Ghz is needed rather than have lag with 1Ghz and save some battery.
Wait where is the the Aroma thermal mod would love lag free pubg. It's better with you driver update but still not great.

hakkai999

Jun 25, 2010
Mandaue
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Can someone make one for Oreo? It doesn't seem as consistent as it did on Nougat. It's still fairly consistent but in a bad way because it dips in a pattern when I stress test it and when I play Ragnarok M.

paul999

Jul 28, 2007
one thing i found out today is you could deleted the "thermal-engine-8996.conf.bak" all togather if your phone is well optimised.... no throtting at all lol. just leave the core control tho for fail safe

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
I'm on @i95swervin Alpha Oreo ROM for the H918 and the original nougat files work fine so far. It made a difference when plugged in mainly because I'd get horrible lag and sluggishness when playing Honkai 3rd Impact and other apps too only when plugged in but this has gotten rid of it

MaZeNsMz

Jun 23, 2010
Hi,

Thank you very good work.
I tried it on H990DS on stock Oreo and it worked great, charging was 3W while screen is on, however, it is 11W now. But I noticed the device becoming very hot.

Please share untouched thermal engine, so I can tweak it myself.

Regards...

yulbax

Apr 26, 2017
Hi man. Your configs are cool, but my phone overheating when it charging and screen off. Can you decrease charging speed when screen is off?

sniper9911

Mar 21, 2013
working on oreo stock 2019 february update !

Confirmed working on h990ds feb 2019 oreo update with the applied permission rwxr-xr-x from root explorer on a systemless rooted magisk stock rom and mk2000 kernel ... Thanks op the thermal throttle is really better now

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-26-01-45-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-05-26-01-45-29.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 552
  • Screenshot_2019-05-26-09-28-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-05-26-09-28-48.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 556
Reactions: karkand

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any damage caused to your phone or loved ones.
    MUST HAVE ROOT.

The PROBLEM:
    This mod is for phones that throttle heavily and lag during charging / heavy use/ gaming. Seems like it affects people on stock-based roms rather than AOSP/lineage based roms since the thermal file is deleted/edited already. Switching kernels does not help the throttling at all. Using any kernel or cpu app (EX kernel, kernel aduitor), you should see that the cpu freqs throttle down to 652mhz on the small cluster and 1036mhz on the big cluster when charging or after heavy use. The throttling isn't caused by thermals since the CPU temps and battery temps are well within acceptable levels (below 50 degrees cpu and below 25 degrees battery).
    Seems like the only reason LG does this is to prolong battery life rather than keeping performance at acceptable levels.

The second issue is the SLOW charging when your screen is on. Ampere reports a maximum charging rate of ~300mah when charging (qc3 or regular) before the mod. This mod will increase it to ~1000mah when screen on (I'm unsure how to increase it further). Screen off charging is unaffected and is still Quick Charge.

THE FIX:
    Download my "thermal-engine-8996.conf" file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0W3xXHgfOxvLUpKNWhrWDE0TDg/view?usp=sharing
    Use a root explorer.
    Backup your old one in root/system/etc (or just rename it to thermal-engine-8996.conf.bak).
    Put the new one in root/system/etc
    Edit: apparently it downloads as a .txt file so change it back to .conf
    Change permissions to rw-r--r--
    Restart and enjoy lag free charging + increased charging speed!

This will make your device slightly hotter and possibly less battery life during heavy use but that's a given.
    Thermal throttling is NOT affected (CPU speeds still throttle after 80 degrees with my testing)

Flashing rom updates WILL overwrite the file so you will need to replace it again.

Different versions:
    Reduced charging speed (to 600mah) when screen on (To reduce heat):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7VVzSKFTGVkNHBnWXNYY2JJdEU/view?usp=sharing
    Reduced max speed (to 1824mhz) but kept 1000mah charging when screen on (should reduce heat when doing intensive tasks): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7VVzSKFTGVkWjlnUF84SDc0N0k
    Reduced charging speed (600mah) + max speed (1824mhz) to reduce heat even more and will still help reduce lag:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7VVzSKFTGVkV2ZoTU1sS2YtOUk/view?usp=sharing

What I did:
    Under [KRYO_SS] in the conf file, I edited the "device_perf_floor" value to 2150000 instead of the stock 1036800. This will cause the phone to never throttle below 2150mhz big cluster and 1593mhz small cluster when charging/heavy use. If you are using an kernel that supports overclocking, this value can be set higher (to your max big cluster mhz). The small cluster mhz will automatically scale up since there's no value for it anyways. I think this entire section is just to save battery life as I see no other benefit from throttling when you're charging (when temps are low). Honestly, you can probably delete the whole section under [KRYO_SS] and it'll keep it at max mhz but I rather have some control over it.

For increased charging speed when screen on, I edited the values under [CHG_MONITOR]. I also deleted the entire [PA_MONITOR] and [LCD_ON_MONITOR] section. This increases the charging speed to ~1000mah from ~300mah but I can't seem to increase it further when screen on. Might be due to another setting I haven't found yet.

I also increased the GPU clocks to decrease throttling but I haven't found GPU throttling to be a problem at all before the mod so this probably won't affect performance.

The only other phone I have found that has the same thermal conf file is the LG G5 thread here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/help/reduce-gpu-thermal-throttling-help-t3471510
    Seems like they were doing it for the GPU throttling however.

Let me know if anyone is having issues with this mod or wants to implement it in their rom :)
    made one with the gpu throttling completely disabled, and the cpu minimum cooling range stay at 1996 mhz. i am using it so far so good.
    Someone earlier in the thread was planning to do this. I'm unsure of how to do it even though I am using magisk as well.

that was me... if any wants to test it go ahead, otherwise I'll confirm it works or not tonight...
    Let me know if anyone is having issues with this mod or wants to implement it in their rom :)

So I'm having a hard time testing whether this is actually working or not. I use the mk2000 BTTF kernel and I'm suspicious that it has already done some modifications to the kernel for charging. I'm on a VS995 and I have some other differences based on what I'm reading from here.
    For instance, my stock thermal-engine-8996.conf has
    Code:
    action_info      1000
    in the
    Code:
    [PA_MONITOR]
    and
    Code:
     [LCD_ON_MONITOR]
    sections - which sounds different than what others have stated.

Also, I'm not sure the best way to measure the current charge because Ampere doesn't work with the screen off and I am getting wildly different readings with the screen on. With my stock .conf I was getting anywhere from ~250 to ~1300, but seemed to be usually between ~600-800. This seems to be much higher stock than what others are reporting so I am trying to find out from the kernel dev if he made any modifications.

In any event, I have gone ahead and created an AROMA based installer for these mods to make it easier for users to pick between the different profiles as well as go back to their backup/an original conf.

I've used all your original config files, which based upon my examination appear to do the following:

- charging-600mah-max-speed-1824mhz
    - charging-600mah-max-speed-2150mhz
    - charging-1000mah-max-speed-1824mhz
    - charging-1000mah-max-speed-2150mhz

If I have got these wrong please let me know. This is what I have labeled profiles #3-#6 in my script. If you unzip the file you will see a profiles directory which shows these. I also added two new profiles:

- charging-600mah-max-speed-1037mhz
    - charging-1000mah-max-speed-1037mhz

These are #1 and #2 respectively. The idea here is that you may want to increase your charging speed, but not your CPU at all. Because of the issues I'm having getting accurate measurements I'm not sure this is working. I don't know why we wouldn't be able to increase the charging speeds while leaving the default CPU speeds. If you could check over the 2 .conf files that I included for these profiles to make sure I configured them right that would be appreciated.

I think the flash file is pretty self explanatory. It has the 6 options as well as the option to restore from backup. The backup file will be the file that was overwritten the *first* time you ran this flash. So if you are doing it on a stock phone the backup file will always be your original. In case you weren't sure what your original was I include as a final option the ability to restore a stock .conf file. Again, this is the file from a VS995 and I'm not sure if everyone's is the same. If people want to send me stock files from other models I can compare and include them for restore.

I'd also love to pick your brain about some of these settings and also clean up some of these profile files (I did remove some extra LF already). I just am having some issues because I can't tell what is working or not on my phone at the moment.
    Don't forget

Don't forget to rename the file from .txt to .conf after pasting. :) THANK YOU!!!!