[MOD][Froyo&Gingerbread] FMRadio.apk (for Region: Japan) 76Mhz-108Mhz support

Search This thread

sargorn

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 26, 2010
Osaka-shi
The FM Radio apk distributed with samsung roms actually supports 3 regions. Europe, USA and Japan. For some reason in early European roms the Japan region was 'locked out', while the app still actually had all the support for it. With the latest releases it's locked out even with the Australian/Asian released roms. (Guessing because the Japanese SGS didn't include the FMRadio hardware). The support is still there in the software though.

Frequencies supported from these settings are:
USA 87.5MHz - 108MHz
Europe 87.5MHz - 108MHz
Japan 76MHz -108MHz

This post now only includes the latest Froyo and Gingerbread releases.
Old releases are mirrored here.

06/Oct/11 Update:
- JVT

11/Sep/11 Update:
- JVS modded.

02/Aug/11 Update:
- JVR modded. Probably the same as the other JV*'s though.

10/Jun/11 Update:
- JVP FMRadio.apk modded.

19/May/11 Update:
- JVO FMRadio.apk modded.

06/May/11 Update:
- JVH FMRadio.apk modded.

24/Apr/11 Update:
- Take 2, fixed CWM3 install.

22/Apr/11 Update:
- JVB FMRadio, fixed CWM3 compatible install.

30/Mar/11 Update:

Spent some quality time with the decompiled gingerbread FMRadio.apk and figured it out. JVK FMRadio.apk w/ Japan region below! Flash with CWM.

Also, included are 'untested' updated Froyo fmradios. I'm not planning on flashing back to Froyo to test these, but they shouldn't do any harm. Included are JS8 and JPJ FMradio.apks. They're different sizes. JPJ is about 200kb smaller than the JS8FMradio.apk. No idea what the difference is :p

29/Mar/11 Update:

The miui radio does not work with Gingerbread (JVK) and the stock one still does not include Japan.

19/Jan/11 Update:

MIUI mod's FMRadio.apk supports Japan region.

Initial release:
So grabbed the FMRadio.apk from the latest Eclair Australian release, deoxed and popped it on. Seems to be working fine.

Flash via CWM:

fmradio-gb-japan-XXX-CWM3s.zip - Gingerbread FMRadio.apk w/ Japan Region.
fmradio-gb-stock-XXX-CWM3s.zip - Gingerbread Stock FMRadio.apk
fmradio-froyo-japan-XXX-CWM.zip - Froyo FMRadio.apk w/ Japan Region
fmradio-froyo-stock-XXX-CWM.zip - Froyo Stock FMRadio.apk

Attachments

• fmradio-froyo-japan-js8-CWM.zip
    491 KB · Views: 3,069
  • fmradio-froyo-stock-js8-CWM.zip
    489.7 KB · Views: 2,255
  • fmradio-gb-japan-jvo-CWM3s.zip
    641.2 KB · Views: 1,618
  • fmradio-gb-japan-jvp-CWM3sa.zip
    639.8 KB · Views: 900
  • fmradio-gb-japan-jvr-CWM3s.zip
    639.8 KB · Views: 656
  • fmradio-gb-japan-jvs-CWM3s.zip
    639.9 KB · Views: 706
  • fmradio-gb-stock-jvt-CWM3.zip
    637.2 KB · Views: 3,048
  • fmradio-gb-japan-jvt-CWM3.zip
    635.5 KB · Views: 1,729
Last edited:

ask_richy

Jun 4, 2009
Thank you very much for the APK. Unfortunately under Froyo this - also - does not give the "Japan" option...

Are you in possession of the FMRadio.apk from the latest Froyo Australian release? If not, do you know where I can find it?

With best regards,
ask_richy

ask_richy

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks a lot... will try that one out.

Btw: How do you extract stuff out of whole ROMs? Is there a thread or a tutorial on this?

froetz

Jun 6, 2008
How can I install this Radio-App?

I extracted the 7z and tried to open it with the app-manager. On the following screen i see two tabs (summary and details), and the option to uninstall or start the current version. Uninstalling ends with an error.
I am trying on a Rooted Samsung Galaxy S Froyo.

n8body

Jan 14, 2011
i have tried both versions on froyo ,but i can´t still get the japan region.
Can someone try to make a version for froyo 2.1.2?
Many thanks in Advance

bohdans

Jun 8, 2008
How can I install this Radio-App?

I extracted the 7z and tried to open it with the app-manager. On the following screen i see two tabs (summary and details), and the option to uninstall or start the current version. Uninstalling ends with an error.
I am trying on a Rooted Samsung Galaxy S Froyo.

Delete the old apk and odrx for radio from /system/apps/ and then copy the one above in

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

n8body

Jan 14, 2011
I have decompiled the sargorn´s APK(from 2.1) using "android apktool",and found the strings about JAPAN. I think its possible to bypass the check,but i dont understand the Source. Maybe someone can give it a try?

froetz

Jun 6, 2008
Delete the old apk and odrx for radio from /system/apps/ and then copy the one above in

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Hi,
I tried to do so, and I deleted the old FM-Radio-App and the odex. When I start the ne FM-Radio, the only two choices are USA and Europe.

I'll "stay tuned" to this Thread ;)

sargorn

Aug 26, 2010
Osaka-shi
So I spent a few hours wading through smali decompiled code lastnight without much success. Then I gave giving the cyanogen FMRadio.apk another compile and push, again without success.

The cyanogen FMRadio app is actually from the MIUI mod though. Googled for a pre-compiled i9000 version of miui... and what do you know. Japan is back in it's FMRadio app.

Flash via CWM:

miui-fmradio.zip is the working one with Japan support.
jpy-fmradio.zip is the stock JPY FMRadio if you want to go back.

Attachments

• miui-fmradio.zip
    500.9 KB · Views: 567
  • jpy-fmradio.zip
    486.1 KB · Views: 339

froetz

Jun 6, 2008
Big thank you.

Works fine on my Device (Darkys Rom) I just replaced the fmradio.pk with this one.

sargorn

Aug 26, 2010
Osaka-shi
Modded Gingerbread version uploaded. Found the actual issue now so new versions shouldn't cause any problems.

robcodemax

Apr 15, 2008
I am not able to update the ROM with the zip for gingerbread...I am using MAGLDR 1.13

Last edited:

sargorn

Aug 26, 2010
Osaka-shi
The update.zip is wrong. I'll fix it when I get home in an hr or two.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

robcodemax

Apr 15, 2008
I tried it..... it showed successfully installed update...but when I boot into MIUI Android its not there...

joegamal

Mar 8, 2011
Just a thought, would there be a way to use Android as a radio scanner for a wider range of frequencies by patching FMRadio ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    Please find FMRadio.apk from I9000DTJG4 (Australia) at the following download link.
    This is the from the latest unbranded Australian Firmware which is Froyo 2.2.

http://www.multiupload.com/RJ71OKG0T0
    Modded JVO fmradio.apk uploaded.

It's untested because I'm on CM7 at the moment, let me know if it doesn't work. (and/or just use JVH's).
    Nice to know there is still some interest in the Japanese region for FM Radio. I'm sure most of us have moved past Froyo and Gingerbread by now. Has anyone looked into the stock FM Radio app from Jellybean 4.1.2 to find out if there is any Japan region coding hidden in it? It would be great to be able to use the built in recorder to record Japanese radio. Or has anyone looked into creating an Xposed module? Not to be that person who just posts his dev wishlists, but I really have no idea where to begin making such a mod myself.

Not sure if it's of any interest to anyone, but the Galaxy S Radio Widget location selector (by Demboos) works fine in selecting the Japanese band on my Galaxy Note II.