• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD] Full Arabic Support on Nexus One - (Update Feb 14 - ERE27 & ERE36B Success)

Search This thread

ghassan99

Aug 3, 2006
UPDATE Feb 14: And because its FEB 14, here is the updated Arabic files that should work on ERE 27 and CM5 Beta 5 (and hopefully future releases as well): http://arabicandroid.googlecode.com/files/update_nexus_mt_signed_ERE27.zip

I can also confirm that it works on ERE36B as well.

Thanks Ayman.

Note: mirror is also available on my site.

UPDATE Feb 4: <IMPORTANT> Please don't update for the moment if you have moved to the new Google update!

I can confirm that the update file is no longer working, please don't install it if you have updated your phone with the recent update from Google. Your phone will freeze while booting up at the Nexus logo.

The only solution for now is the half solution which I wrote about a while back. Its only about replacing the font and getting the Arabic letters unconnected.

Please visit this link: http://dumpytips.blogspot.com/2009/09/easier-fix-for-half-solution.html

There are instructions in there on how to install the font via an update file, or through the adb commands if you wish.

UPDATE Jan 22: Newer update file in links below.

UPDATE Jan 21: Thanks to Ayman, we can now read Arabic virtualy everywhere in Android 2.0 or N1 in our case via a newly introduced library file. I tested it in Gmail, SMS and Browser, its working perfectly (in Gmail, email titles are not OK though). Ayman, you deserve a medal.

I have updated the image file with Ayman's recent updates. Please see below for the download link. Everything else remains the same.

Jan 20 original post:

Hi All,

This is a different approach to enabling Arabic on the N1 in the browser and the gmail client by utilizing a signed image file I created for this purpose.

Your phone has to be unlocked and rooted. You also have to install the custom recovery image for the N1. You don't have to download the SDK.

After that you need to flash my update.zip file and you will have all the necessary files on your phone to view Arabic correctly.
If you constantly try different cooked firmwares this file will help you quickly restore the Arabic settings. Just flash it immediately after you flash any modified firmware based on 2.0 or 2.1

The contents of the image is only two files: one font file, and the excellent libwebcore.so created by Ayman (Link: http://code.google.com/p/arabicandroid)
Without this file you will not see connected Arabic letters on your phone. So big thanks goes to Dr.Dev for his work :)

You can download the image file from my blog article on the same topic:
http://dumpytips.blogspot.com/2010/01/arabic-on-nexus-one-almost-complete.html

Hint1: For unlocking and rooting the N1 visit this link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=612858

Hint2: For installing the custom recovery image visit this link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=611829
Below are the modified commands to install the recovery image based on the file you download from the link above (in Hint1). You don't have to download the SDK at all.

Code:
Copy recovery-RA-nexus-v1.5.3.img to a location where fastboot can find it.
Boot your phone into fastboot mode (power on while holding the trackball)
Connect your phone via usb to your pc/mac/...
fastboot-windows devices (to make sure that fastboot "sees" your phone)
fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-RA-nexus-v1.5.3.img

Cheers,
-Gus

Last edited:

Weees

Apr 11, 2009
Thanx abunch mate !! Sounds great ! I have been waiting for someone to come up with this :)

I flashed it and IT WORKS very well :)

Nice work !

Last edited:

Dr.Dev

Nov 14, 2006
New York City
Ghassan,

Thanks for putting all these files together. and thanks for your nice words. :)
I'll upload your file into the project's page.

Regards,
Ayman Alsanad.

Last edited:

ghassan99

Aug 3, 2006
Hi Ayman,

My pleasure.

A few points:
1) I used the libwebcore.so.android2.0 and not the recent one (libwebcore.so.android2.1) because Arabic in the Gmail client was not displayed correctly (reversed actually) with the recent file (though SMS and Browser were OK)

2) I tested with libskiagl.so and without it, the results were the same. I noticed the file was there in the original android distribution and that you included it, so I have re-added the file.

3) Email titles while in the list of emails in the Gmail client, is still showing incorrect Arabic in both files: libwebcore.so.android2.0 & libwebcore.so.android2.1

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
-Gus

Last edited:

ghassan99

Aug 3, 2006
Hi Ayman,

I noticed you have update the file again. I can confirm its working (the reveresed Arabic is still there in the Gmail client). Thank you for your dedication to this project.

To all,
Please check Ayman's site for the latest zip file. I will only keep a mirror on my blog. All credit to him. Links in the first post above.

Thanks,
-Gus

legolas.w

Aug 19, 2008
Hello everyone and thanks for the effort you are putting behind the project.
Before I root my device, does it support Persian as well as Arabic? I mean do you only included Arabic fonts in your project?

Thanks

ghassan99

Aug 3, 2006
I can include a persian font for you in an update file. But I'm not sure about the libraries. Anyway isn't it similar to Arabic? There is no harm in rooting I guess you can afterall download apps that do require root like the excellent N1 Torch.
Try the image file and tell us what happen, then we can see how to help. Always take a nandroid backup first so you can go back if required.

-Gus

alishankiti

May 3, 2007
Right to Left

Thank you for the update file. It is great. Right-to-left seems to be supported only in the browser, not SMS, right?

tamarian

Jan 19, 2010
Huawei Mate 20 X
Huawei Mate X2
This is very impressive, thanks Ayman and Ghassan.

What's next? Calendar? In the agenda mode, it's Arabic, in other modes it's "reversed".

Can we edit a file(s) to Arabize the system settings and menu strings?

Is there any reason why Google shouldn't include this in the next update, 2.2 / FroYo? It's really a shame that we have to root and void warranty just to arabize Android.

--

Just an extra tip for users on additional arabization, I've tried morelocale2 from the market, which allows setting locale such as ar/SA. This will get the time and date on the status bar in Arabic, gets the news and weather widget in Arabic, and a few other things here and there, such as filenames.

Weees

Apr 11, 2009
Thanks Weees.

Please download the new image it has Ayman's recent updates.

Hey There....

I just flashed the latest v4 update and its working well, except for the Email subjects in Gmail.....the letters are messed up. But its no big deal !! This is still a major milestone :)

Thanks to you and Ayman for cooking this up !! Great work guys ! :)

ghassan99

Aug 3, 2006
@tamarian,
I'm sorry I'm not aware of any files to customize the menu settings. I remember on the G1, when I used to change the locale, I would see some items in Arabic just like morelocale2 (maybe more stuff). As I said earlier as well, root is good for installing hacks and apps that wouldn't be possible without it. Like Nexus One Torch, and now the recent multitouch hack on the stock browser from Cyanogen.

@Weees,
The email subjects are actually reversed. But as you said its a major milestone anyway to get Arabic in the body of the email :)

-Gus

Fouad1013

Nov 11, 2009
MyTouch 3g

Hi, i have a rooted myTouch3g running Manups Eclair 2.1. im wondering if this will work since im running Android 2.1

Update: I just went ahead and tried it, and its working, thank you soo much

Last edited:

khaled_cs

Sep 25, 2007
true, i think the webcore is not compatible with the new update thats why the phone refuses to boot up u have to restore from back up or reflash the system