[MOD] Google Keyboard with updated iOS 9.1 Emojis

Search This thread

Qu3ntin0

Jul 6, 2015
Please make a backup of the apk and /system/fonts/NotoColorEmoji.ttf before following the instructions.

Note: Not all of the emojis present in iOS 9.1 are currently supported.

Instructions:

1. Download the ttf file and install manually or download the flashable zip (Be sure to rename AppleEmoji9.1-caiosilva96.tff to NotoColorEmoji.tff)

2. Install the modded Google Keyboard.

3. Enjoy!

Files:

- Modded TTF or Flashable ZIP
- Modded Google Keyboard , armv64 download here

Thanks to @DespairFactor, @neonixxx, @caiosilva96 and @tccool987

Q/A
Q: Why are some emojis black & white?
A: Here's the solution and if you're on Lollipop you can download this flashable zip.

Q: My Google Keyboard is a system app and I can't install the mod.
A: Uninstall the app (with an app such as Titanium Backup) and install the mod

Q: Gesture typing and/or autocorrect is broken after installing the mod.
A: I'm still working on a fix for this, but for now switching the keyboard language to English (UK) will fix the problem.

Q: Whenever I delete some emojis, a different one appears, so I have to press backspace twice to delete.
A: This is because the emoji requires two unicode values. Sometimes when backspace is pressed, one of the unicode value is deleted, not both. I'm not sure why this happens, hopefully someone will come along and help solve the mystery...

Changelog
29/10/2015
- Added secondary keys, flags and numerical symbols (1, 2, 3 etc.)

Last edited:

DespairFactor

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

I have modded Google Keyboard to include the new iOS 9.1 emojis! Please make a backup of Google Keyboard apk and /system/fonts/NotoColorEmoji.ttf before following the instructions.

Note: This has only been modded for KitKat and above. I'll update this post for Jellybean and others within a few hours
Not all of the emojis present in iOS 9.1 are currently supported.

Instructions:

1. Flash the zip file containing the new emojis.

2. Download and install the modded Google Keyboard.

3. Enjoy!

Thanks to @DespairFactor and @neonixxx for helping out!!!

Files:

- Zip file with new emojis http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/themes-apps/mod-ios-emojis-android-t3231571
- Modded Google Keyboard https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347845133

Did you manage to mod the ARM64 keyboard? and what files did you change?

Last edited:

vjtigas

Mar 18, 2013
Angat
Will this work on KK? I am running a close to AOSP KitKat ROM.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Nope, empty emojis.

vjtigas

Mar 18, 2013
Angat
Nope, not showing, but I can type them though. Thanks anyway.
????

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-24-16-09-02.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-24-16-09-02.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 22,790

Emirilx

Oct 6, 2015
Not Working

So I'm using Emoji Switcher instead of flashing. I use the keyboard but still blank space ? and can't even use emoji . Helppp

Agent-Droid

Nov 24, 2011
I am really hoping that you will list down step by step what you did so that I might be able to make you as my guide

Thank you
I did everything OP said.
BUT before flashing this, delete any mod you installed for emojis, and restore your original ones, reboot, then proceed to flashing.
Now do a backup for your Google keyboard (just in case) and install the one provided by OP.
Good luck :)

Reactions: _Ascetic

Emirilx

Oct 6, 2015
I did everything OP said.
BUT before flashing this, delete any mod you installed for emojis, and restore your original ones, reboot, then proceed to flashing.
Now do a backup for your Google keyboard (just in case) and install the one provided by OP.
Good luck :)

Thank you,

My phone have no SD card. Im using oppo r5.

Im flashing that file using Flashify but even after reboot, it is still the old stock emoji (old ios) so can you please tell me how to flash?

if using recovery mode, it will always fail ?

Please, thanks

jayden2009

Dec 9, 2009
Zaandam
How can i install the keyboard apk, it says can not install ? i already stopped it in settings etc but still the same message.....

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

So I'm using Emoji Switcher instead of flashing. I use the keyboard but still blank space and can't even use emoji . Helppp

You must install busybox to use emoji switcher :good:

Emirilx

Oct 6, 2015
How can i install the keyboard apk, it says can not install ? i already stopped it in settings etc but still the same message.....

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

You must install busybox to use emoji switcher :good:

I do have busybox, though I never knew the purpose of it. I just install it and don't bother it. But I can't seem to have the iOS 9.1 (but other emoji can, for example Samsung, Google)

jayden2009

Dec 9, 2009
Zaandam
I had the same thing but that was because busybox was not installed correctly .... Did you went in the app busybox and then install ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6 met Tapatalk

Agent-Droid

Nov 24, 2011
Thank you,

My phone have no SD card. Im using oppo r5.

Im flashing that file using Flashify but even after reboot, it is still the old stock emoji (old ios) so can you please tell me how to flash?

if using recovery mode, it will always fail

Please, thanks

Maybe you did flash it right, try swiping between all the pages of your emojis.
I flashed using recovery I'm on 5.1.1

Emirilx

Oct 6, 2015
I had the same thing but that was because busybox was not installed correctly .... Did you went in the app busybox and then install ?

Yes, I go to that app and click install . thank you for taking your time for me BTW.

BTW it'll make my emojis disappear completely ? except I can look at the emoji on emojipedia (that contain s iOS 9.1 new emoji)

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Maybe you did flash it right, try swiping between all the pages of your emojis.
I flashed using recovery I'm on 5.1.1

No luck , still the same emoji but I can however use emoji switcher (An app) but it will make all emoji invisible

Reactions: jayden2009

Agent-Droid

Nov 24, 2011
Yes, I go to that app and click install . thank you for taking your time for me BTW.

BTW it'll make my emojis disappear completely except I can look at the emoji on emojipedia (that contain s iOS 9.1 new emoji)

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

No luck , still the same emoji but I can however use emoji switcher (An app) but it will make all emoji invisible

Developer is working on a fix https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/co...i_are_now_available_in_emoji_switcher/cwasg0l ;)

Edit: Found a possible fix, you probably don't have enough space in your /system/ partition.
Best is to convert some Google system apps to user apps with titanium backup to free up some space

Last edited:
Reactions: Emirilx

jayden2009

Dec 9, 2009
Zaandam

jayden2009

Dec 9, 2009
Zaandam
How to uninstall it ..... I already force stopped it but that didn't work either ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please make a backup of the apk and /system/fonts/NotoColorEmoji.ttf before following the instructions.

Note: Not all of the emojis present in iOS 9.1 are currently supported.

Instructions:

1. Download the ttf file and install manually or download the flashable zip (Be sure to rename AppleEmoji9.1-caiosilva96.tff to NotoColorEmoji.tff)

2. Install the modded Google Keyboard.

3. Enjoy!

Files:

- Modded TTF or Flashable ZIP
    - Modded Google Keyboard , armv64 download here

Thanks to @DespairFactor, @neonixxx, @caiosilva96 and @tccool987

Q/A
    Q: Why are some emojis black & white?
    A: Here's the solution and if you're on Lollipop you can download this flashable zip.

Q: My Google Keyboard is a system app and I can't install the mod.
    A: Uninstall the app (with an app such as Titanium Backup) and install the mod

Q: Gesture typing and/or autocorrect is broken after installing the mod.
    A: I'm still working on a fix for this, but for now switching the keyboard language to English (UK) will fix the problem.

Q: Whenever I delete some emojis, a different one appears, so I have to press backspace twice to delete.
    A: This is because the emoji requires two unicode values. Sometimes when backspace is pressed, one of the unicode value is deleted, not both. I'm not sure why this happens, hopefully someone will come along and help solve the mystery...

Changelog
    29/10/2015
    - Added secondary keys, flags and numerical symbols (1, 2, 3 etc.)
    8YljgJC.png

Why are some of my emojis black and white?

I can give you a solution for this but it's quite technical and you need to have slight XML knowledge (easy). You ready? Here we go!

- Go to /system/etc/ and open fonts.xml in an editor.
    - Locate this entry:
    <family>
    <font weight="400" style="normal">NotoColorEmoji.ttf</font>
    </family>​
    - Move that entry (cut and paste) below this line (This is the 95th line or somewhere near there.):
    <!-- fallback fonts -->​
    - Save file.
    - Make sure permissions are 644 (-rw-r-r).

- Now open /system/etc/fallback_fonts.xml in an editor:
    - Locate this entry:
    <family>
    <fileset>
    <file>NotoColorEmoji.ttf</file>
    </fileset>
    </family>​
    - Move that entry (cut and paste) below this line (the line is at the beginning of the xml after the description comment.):
    <familyset>​
    - Save file.
    - Make sure permissions are 644 (-rw-r-r).

- Reboot.
    good news...
    today, I've successfully build new fonts that support all new emojis (everything works just like emojione fonts) and works on 4.4+ of course...
    so here's additional release :
    - new modded font : googlefont, appleiosfont, and special twitter 2.0 font

will be ready NEXT MONDAY! :highfive: :victory:
    ????
    Prepare for a huge update soon
    I'd like to ask you guys a question. The update is ready but I'm not yet able to make the diverse emojis "popup" when the default one is chosen. So should I release it with all the emojis being in one list, or would you guys wait until I'm done?

Thanks for all the support!!!