[MOD] Greener SystemUI.apk & battery mod / CRT effect for XWKE2/KE7/KF1/KF3/XXKG1/2/6

Search This thread

Rawat

Jun 7, 2010
London
[MOD] Greener SystemUI.apk & battery mod / CRT effect for XWKE2/KE7/KF1/KF3/XXKG1/2/6

I made a quick mod to alter some of the icons from SystemUI.apk so that the icons turn green when you're fully connected to Google's network á la nexus phones.

The network data icons were modded using paint.net, and are a bit flat (but they look okay - original icons had 2 tone grey, haven't had time to make it look as pretty as they were :eek:) and the wifi and reception icons are that of stock 2.3

Installation is manual because we don't have a flash-friendly recovery yet. You have to rename your chosen file to SytemUI.apk and then push it to /system/app and restart your phone. However, all newer mods will be CWM flashable :)

I have also modified the framework-res.apk to have the CRT screen off animation.

R7bej.png

Above is a pic of how the reception and wifi icons are when fully connected.

Make sure you extract (if compressed) and or rename the files before pushing them.

Guide: If you have an insecure recovery, you can do this as long as you open your command shell where the framework-res.apk file and SystemUI.apk file is.

Code:
adb remount
adb shell stop
adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/
adb push SystemUI.apk /system/app/
adb reboot

If you do not have a secure recovery, you can paste them over the existing files using Root Explorer, but this is an unsafe method, and might cause your Google Account settings to disappear from Accounts & Sync.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

I've also added a circle battery mod with battery percentage & CRT effect.
The icons are gingerbread green from 100-30%, then orange from 29-15 and red from 14-0.

I had a few mods up for KE1, but hardly anyone still uses that FW, and it was pulled. If you're on KDD, I suggest upgrading to KE7 :)

Bugs: CRT anim is sometimes Garbled. Not sure why it happens, and a fix for it is not currently know.

VillainROM users: Install battery mod or CRT anim via the VillainTweaks app. Don't install this version, it won't work, and you'll get a TON of force closes. Pulser is adding the SystemUI.apk file to VillainTweaks too :) - This only effected earlier versions of VR

SystemUI - KE2.apk - This is the tweak to make the icons go green. Rename to SystemUI.apk and push to phone if you have KE2. For KE7, use the KE7 mod.
framework-res KE2 improved stock.apk - This is the stock KE2 framework-res.apk with a few of the battery icons changed. Does not have CRT effect. Rename to framework-res.apk and push to phone if you have KE2. For KE7, use the KE7 mod.
Battery mod XWKE2 circle battery mod fixed.zip - This is a circle battery mod for KE2. It is Gingerbread green from 100-30, then orange from 29-15, and red from 14-0%. unzip the file, and push the framework-res.apk file to your phone. Does not contain CRT effect.
unsignedframework-res KE7 CRT.apk - This is the stock KE7 framework-res.apk with a few of the battery icons changed and the CRT effect enabled. Rename to framework-res.apk and push to phone if you have KE7.
SystemUI KE7.apk - This is the tweak to make the icons go green. Rename to SystemUI.apk and push to phone if you have KE2.
framework-res KE7 battery mod and CRT fixed.zip - This is a circle battery mod for KE7. It is Gingerbread green from 100-30, then orange from 29-15, and red from 14-0%. unzip the file, and push the framework-res.apk file to your phone.It also contains the CRT anim.
KF3.zip contains CRT anim, + green icons, and nexus wifi signal icons, as well as a data toggle in the notification toggle :) Flash via CWM. Non-deodexed AKA stock ROMs ONLY.

SystemUI KE7 DEODEXED.apk - This file is to be used if you have VillainROM v1.1 (It's villainROM only atm because it has different signing. Will not work on Lightening ROM.) lightening ROM users, click here for your compatible SystemUI.apk file.

XWKF1 Battery Mod and CRT and Greener SystemUI CWM flashable.zip isn't working in CWM, likely because I screwed up the flash script.
You can still push the files manually, and I'll upload a fixed zip later today.

Seems like my zip was corrupt, and ChainFire has posted a fixed version for XWKF1 here.

CRT anim and green SystemUI.apk as a flashable zip for XXKG1 here.

CRT anim and green SystemUI.apk as a flashable zip for XXKG2 here.

CRT anim and green SystemUI.apk as a flashable zip for XXKG6 here.

~Rawat

Last edited:

madmack

I modded some of the icons from SystemUI.apk so that the icons turn green when you're fully connected to Google's network a la nexus phones.

The data icons were modded using paint.net, and are a bit flat (but they look okay) and the wifi and reception icons are that of stock 2.3

Installation is manual because we don't have a flash-friendly recovery yet. You have to rename your chosen file to SytemUI.apk and then push it to /system/app and restart your phone.

NOTE: I haven't tested the file yet, but it worked fine when I did the same thing for my old Galaxy S, and should work fine here too. (I used Galaxy S II SystemUI.apk file of course)

hey, nice work.

you think you might be able to give us the battery percentage mod ?

turt

Mar 30, 2006
Do you have a screenshot? I'm not familiar with this greeny thing :eek:

LBTaylor1984

Aug 22, 2005
London
Screenshot would be a good idea.

also do the bars/icons change to green when connected and grey when not?

is this a reversible mod? i.e. uninstall, returns to normal?

jona29

Aug 5, 2010
didnt work on mine everything is still stock doh!!!! only hours later did i realise what i hadnt done . i hadnt changed the file name to the original systemui.apk

Last edited:
Reactions: Rawat

Rawat

Jun 7, 2010
London
Screenshot would be a good idea.

also do the bars/icons change to green when connected and grey when not?

is this a reversible mod? i.e. uninstall, returns to normal?
Yes. That's why I attached the original SystemUI.apk too ;)

didnt work on mine everything is still stock
Did you flash SystemUI - original.apk?

Is that the actual icon from this mod? How do you know Paul's running it?
That seems like it's from a Nexus S or something.

Anyway, I think that's just an example of how the icons change to green, and what the reception/wifi icons would look like.

hey, nice work.

you think you might be able to give us the battery percentage mod ?
Working on it ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ludow

Nitroz

Jan 13, 2011
Wakefield
nitroz.org
Works fine for me, I used Root Explorer to move the SystemUI into System/App and rebooted, all working perfectly.
Thanks for this mate. Much appreciated.

Epedemic

Apr 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Exactly... If you are fast enough, you can do adb remount+ adb push the file back before the device reboots in the bootloop... Then it will boot normally... I did however lose all my account settings, but not absolutely sure it was because of the file pushed...

jona29

Aug 5, 2010
got it working BUT the signal strenght meter is only green when my wifi connection is enabled ???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I made a quick mod to alter some of the icons from SystemUI.apk so that the icons turn green when you're fully connected to Google's network á la nexus phones.

The network data icons were modded using paint.net, and are a bit flat (but they look okay - original icons had 2 tone grey, haven't had time to make it look as pretty as they were :eek:) and the wifi and reception icons are that of stock 2.3

Installation is manual because we don't have a flash-friendly recovery yet. You have to rename your chosen file to SytemUI.apk and then push it to /system/app and restart your phone. However, all newer mods will be CWM flashable :)

I have also modified the framework-res.apk to have the CRT screen off animation.

R7bej.png

Above is a pic of how the reception and wifi icons are when fully connected.

Make sure you extract (if compressed) and or rename the files before pushing them.

Guide: If you have an insecure recovery, you can do this as long as you open your command shell where the framework-res.apk file and SystemUI.apk file is.

Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell stop
    adb reboot

If you do not have a secure recovery, you can paste them over the existing files using Root Explorer, but this is an unsafe method, and might cause your Google Account settings to disappear from Accounts & Sync.

I've also added a circle battery mod with battery percentage & CRT effect.
    The icons are gingerbread green from 100-30%, then orange from 29-15 and red from 14-0.

I had a few mods up for KE1, but hardly anyone still uses that FW, and it was pulled. If you're on KDD, I suggest upgrading to KE7 :)

Bugs: CRT anim is sometimes Garbled. Not sure why it happens, and a fix for it is not currently know.

VillainROM users: Install battery mod or CRT anim via the VillainTweaks app. Don't install this version, it won't work, and you'll get a TON of force closes. Pulser is adding the SystemUI.apk file to VillainTweaks too :) - This only effected earlier versions of VR

SystemUI - KE2.apk - This is the tweak to make the icons go green. Rename to SystemUI.apk and push to phone if you have KE2. For KE7, use the KE7 mod.
    framework-res KE2 improved stock.apk - This is the stock KE2 framework-res.apk with a few of the battery icons changed. Does not have CRT effect. Rename to framework-res.apk and push to phone if you have KE2. For KE7, use the KE7 mod.
    Battery mod XWKE2 circle battery mod fixed.zip - This is a circle battery mod for KE2. It is Gingerbread green from 100-30, then orange from 29-15, and red from 14-0%. unzip the file, and push the framework-res.apk file to your phone. Does not contain CRT effect.
    unsignedframework-res KE7 CRT.apk - This is the stock KE7 framework-res.apk with a few of the battery icons changed and the CRT effect enabled. Rename to framework-res.apk and push to phone if you have KE7.
    SystemUI KE7.apk - This is the tweak to make the icons go green. Rename to SystemUI.apk and push to phone if you have KE2.
    framework-res KE7 battery mod and CRT fixed.zip - This is a circle battery mod for KE7. It is Gingerbread green from 100-30, then orange from 29-15, and red from 14-0%. unzip the file, and push the framework-res.apk file to your phone.It also contains the CRT anim.
    KF3.zip contains CRT anim, + green icons, and nexus wifi signal icons, as well as a data toggle in the notification toggle :) Flash via CWM. Non-deodexed AKA stock ROMs ONLY.

SystemUI KE7 DEODEXED.apk - This file is to be used if you have VillainROM v1.1 (It's villainROM only atm because it has different signing. Will not work on Lightening ROM.) lightening ROM users, click here for your compatible SystemUI.apk file.

XWKF1 Battery Mod and CRT and Greener SystemUI CWM flashable.zip isn't working in CWM, likely because I screwed up the flash script.
    You can still push the files manually, and I'll upload a fixed zip later today.

Seems like my zip was corrupt, and ChainFire has posted a fixed version for XWKF1 here.

CRT anim and green SystemUI.apk as a flashable zip for XXKG1 here.

CRT anim and green SystemUI.apk as a flashable zip for XXKG2 here.

CRT anim and green SystemUI.apk as a flashable zip for XXKG6 here.

~Rawat
    I was missing the android asop battery icon but with percentage.

so i took "framework-res KE7 battery mod and CRT fixed.zip" and added my battery (see screenshot).

so if any1 wants it, please feel free to download attached file. :D

attachment.php
    OK, finally got all the conversion done and here's some mods. These are straight from the KE7 firmware, and I have not made any other than listed. First here are the files and descriptions:

AOSP signal strength indicators w/Translucent Statusbar and pulldown
    *you must delete SystemUI.odex from /system/app/ and clear Dalvik. Likewise if you wish to revert, you need to push SystemUI.odex back to /system/app/ along with original SystemUI.apk
    SystemUI.apk

AOSP battery with percentage
    framework-res.apk

SmoothC circle battery mod
    framework-res.apk

sample of SmoothC
    smoothC-sample-small.gif

I mentioned this earlier, but I will again so you don't have to look back. This is how I've done it for a long time now and it works great. You shouldn't have to worry about permissions with this method either. First make sure you have either a nandroid backup or at the very least backup the individual files we're getting ready to replace. You can back them up in a number of ways (save to sdcard, rename them with -old, etc) Then download the file you want then open terminal or command prompt and 'cd' to the directory where you've downloaded the file.

For the battery mod do this (hit enter after each line):
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell stop
    adb shell start

For transparent statusbar (hit enter after each line)
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell stop
    adb shell start

Another way--which is actually how I do it--is instead of doing a 'cd' to the file location, I simply call it directly by dragging the file into the terminal window. So for the actual push command, after you type adb push, just click and drag the file into the terminal window and it will fill in the correct path. No need to change directories :)

The stop command stops core so you can push into the /system directory without causing a lot of fc's temporarily. After the the start command is entered, the phone will go into a short reboot cycle, but will be a little quicker than a full reboot would be.

EDIT: Instructions on clearing Dalvik

Clearing Dalvik
    Dalvik-cache is normally found in /data/dalvik-cache. So you could use adb-convenient while you have core stopped after pushing
    Code:
    rm -r data/dalvik-cache/*
    Or with terminal emulator before you use adb to push the new files
    Code:
    su
    cd /data/dalvik-cache
    rm* 
    exit
    Then reboot. This will increase the boot time for the next boot as it rebuilds this directory. As always, be very careful when using "rm" commands.

With root explorer you just navigate to /data/dalvik-cache and select all and delete.​
    I modded some icon from the file below. The result is the following

sc20110519182549.jpg

Thank to GingerCriskelo for the icons.
    Please unzip frameworks-res.rar e put in /system/framework
    Is for KE2 and for me work very well
    Remember to reboot phone
    Here's one I just made using the KE2 framework-res in the op. I call this battery smooth C, as I used the colors from the original C battery, but I made it myself. It has 1% increments and the circle itself is in 100 separate increments. Here's a contact sheet I made to give you an idea. (images look a bit better on the phone)

framework-res.apk

smoothC-sample.gif